Before 1805 the Indians laid claim to that part of the Reserve lying west of the Cuyahoga River. That year a treaty was made at Fort Industry, near Sandusky, in favor of the grantees of Connecticut. In 1807 the fourth draft of the lands of the Western Reserve was made.
Samuel P. LORD and others drew the township of Brooklyn, which the same year was surveyed into lots and offered for sale. In 1817 Josiah BARBER, who owned a large tract of this land, in order to induce people to settle here opened an office, and offered building lots for sale at a moderate price; as a result a new town soon began to spring up, which for a time threatened to eclipse the village of Cleveland, on the east side of the river, and in five years to such dimensions had the town grown that it became necessary to replace the old-time ferries with a bridge, which in 1822 was built.
In 1836 the village of Brooklyn became an incorporated city, known as the City of Ohio. At this time property was higher than on the East Side, and up to 1837 speculation raged fiercely.
The center of enterprise was on the flats, where lumber yards and manufacturers sprang into existence and flourished. A large tract known as the Buffalo Company’s allotment, situated on each side of Main street, at that time the principal thoroughfare, lay in the valley at the base of the hills, and extended from the foot of Hanover street on the west to the river on the east.
The famous “bridge war” had its origin in this company’s building a covered bridge over the river at the foot of Columbus street, adjacent and convenient to their property, demanding a toll on it, and applying for a charter, with the provision that no other bridge should be built within five miles of it, there being at the same time an injunction on the float bridge at the foot of Detroit street.
Judge Josiah BARBER and his second wife, Sophia LORD, came from East Haddam, Conn., bringing their four children, Epaphras, Sophia, Jerusha, and Harriet. They traveled in a large wagon drawn by oxen, making the journey in six weeks.
They built a large, roomy log house at the top of a long, tiresome hill on the corner of the present Pearl street and Franklin avenue. In 1824 they moved into a fine, new brick mansion, where liberal entertainment prevailed.
The judge and his wife were especially fond of Philander CHASE, the first bishop of Ohio, whose parochial labors in this section of the country made him a frequent and welcome visitor.
Judge BARBER was elected the first Mayor of Ohio City; he filled the office satisfactorily, especially on one occasion, when he was called out of bed at midnight to read the riot act to the bridge marauders, who, notwithstanding this precaution, blew up and partially destroyed it.
In 1836 Judge BARBER went back to Herbon, Conn., to bring to his Western home his daughter by his first wife, Abigail (Mrs. Robert RUSSELL), who had been left a widow at an early age, her two daughters, Sophia Lord and Charlotte Augusta, and his sister, Mrs. Lucinda JONES. Mrs. RUSSELL came of good old stock, and brought with her the culture and refinement of her New England ancestry.
This journey which, eighteen years before, had taken Josiah six weeks to accomplish, now occupied ten days, so rapid had been the improvement in travel.
Mrs. RUSSELL and her family settled in Columbus block, a monument in brick, which stands a conspicuous landmark, around which cluster the fond memories and pleasing associations of many who live over again in imagination the days when “companies” were given here and tea parties held which rivaled in elegance of deportment and propriety of conversation the stately receptions and chattering afternoon teas of today.
On one occasion Miss Sophia, who had received six months of vocal tuition in Hartford, being prevailed upon to sing, gave the following specimen of an extremely fashionable song of the day, also a Boston importation:
Miss Myrtle is going to marry,|
What a number of hearts she will break;
There’s Lord George, and Tom Brown, and Sir Harry,
All dying of love for her sake.
‘Tis a match that we all must approve,
Let the gossips say all that they can;
For, indeed, she’s a charming woman,
And he’s a most fortunate man.
Yes, indeed, she’s a charming woman,
She studied both Latin and Greek,
And ‘tis said that she solved a problem
In Euclid before she could speak.
Had she been but a daughter of mine,
I’d have taught her to knit and to sew,
But her mother, a charming woman,
Couldn’t think of such trifles, you know
This block remains in good condition, at the top of Detroit street hill, although the character and style of its occupants have materially changed in the sixty years that have intervened since its first habitation. In 1825 missionary societies were held here for the fitting out of boxes for the frontier. In 1832 was held here the first sewing society in Brooklyn village, for clothing the poor, and on January 4, 1836, St. John’s Protestant Episcopal Church was here organized, and services held on successive Sundays.
The same year the corner-stone of the church was laid, corner of Church and Wall streets, and the building was soon in process or erection. Judge BARBER was largely instrumental in raising the necessary funds, and the tale is an oft-told one that he went soliciting around through the day to pay off the workmen at night. Following out the line of heredity, his great-granddaughter, almost a pioneer herself, claims to have fallen heir to this office, and for the institution. St. John’s is the oldest church building in the city.
Sophia L. RUSSELL (Mrs. Daniel P. RHODES) is well known in social circles for her easy bearing and graceful manners, for unstinted charity and wide hospitality. Her husband died in 1872, having made for himself a wide reputation as a successful business man, of indomitable energy and untiring perseverance. He was a pioneer in the coal and iron ore trade, as in those days wood was the universal fuel, lake steamers being the only coal consumers. His wife was his constant companion and ever attentive to his physical comfort.
Her traveling experiences throughout this and all the countries of Europe, her long sojourn in Egypt, and her Nile trip have made her a most entertaining conversationalist. Her children are Augusts (Mrs. M.A. HANNA), Robert RHODES, James RHODES, this historian, and Fannie (Mrs. William McCURDY), who died some years ago.
Charlotte RUSSELL (Mrs. Uriel C. HATCH), whose vivid recollections of the olden time have afforded much of interest for this sketch, tells of the merry sleighing parties, through long stretches of dense forest, to some country hotel where hot suppers awaited ravenous appetites, and where the music of the fiddle kept time to the tripping feet of the dances in the Virginia reel and minuet. Elizabeth TYLER (Mrs. William MORTON), a friend of hers, a mischief-loving spirit, added life and gayety to many a party. Another friend, Miss Eliza BENTON, of a frolicsome turn, in order to vary the humdrum monotony of a woman’s sphere, frequently donned male attire and went about, to the fright and extreme scandal of her staid and decorous neighbors.
Mr. and Mrs. Anson SMITH, from Connecticut, and their daughters, Cornelia, Virginia, Georgianna, Estelle, and Josephine, living on Detroit street at this time, were pleasant, cultivated people; another young lady friend was Julia DYER (Mrs. Augustus E. CHILDS) who died in England, at Galeton House, on Winchester road.
Around the name of Aunt Lydia PHELPS fond memory clings of pioneer A, B, Cs, and A, B, Abs.
Miss HARRIS, one of the fine teachers of the early days, met with a sad fate. While making her quill pens her knife slipped and cut a nerve in her hand, which eventually ended her life. She was sister to Mrs. Lucy WILSON, who lived on Church street.
Lydia Elizabeth BIGELOW (Mrs. John B. DENISON), from Utica, N.Y., came to the West Side in 1826. Her last residence was on Franklin avenue. Her daughter, Mrs. F.W. PELTON, an energetic woman, was for many years a member of the Dorcas Society, and is now one of the supporters of Bethany Home, both useful benevolent institutions.
Mrs. Francis A. BURROWS, daughter of George LORD, of East Haddam, Conn., came in 1838. Her husband, who was Mayor of Ohio City in 1837, and again in 1842, was a polished gentleman of the old school. His wife was a capable helpmeet, quiet and reserved in manner. Her sister, Hope LORE, married Thomas HURD.
Ann GOODRICH (Mrs. Charles WINSLOW) was born amongst the Berkshire Hills. Mr. WINSLOW was a descendant of Kenelm WINSLOW, who came from England in the Fortune, the second boat after the Mayflower. He was a retired gentleman of means, and belonged to the Buffalo Land Company. She was a beautiful woman and a delightful entertainer. One of her distinguished visitors was Daniel WEBSTER.
Horace GREELEY was also a recipient of her hospitality. Another welcome guest was Bishop McILVANE. The unfortunate panic of 1837 crippled Mr. WINSLOW’s resources, which he had supposed were unlimited. Their daughter, Lucy Ann, married Mr. Cornelius Lansing RUSSELL, whose great-grandfather established the town of Lansingburg, N.Y. In the old colonial home hang the portraits, painted at the beginning of the century, of Mrs. RUSSELL’s great-grandfather and great-grandmother.
Mrs. Abigail LORD RANDALL, after the death of her husband and children, came from New York city, making her home with her brother and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Richard LORD, who lived in aristocratic style, and whose beautiful garden and conservatory of tropical plants were the admiration of all.
Mrs. LORD was a devoted church woman, as was her sister, Mrs. RANDALL, who gave the lot on which St. John’s Episcopal chapel now stands.
As there were no seed stores, she distributed neat little packages of flower seeds among her friends. Fruit trees grew here, and of these four pear trees still remain.
Deliverance SMITH, with her husband, Phineas SHEPARD, came in 1816 from Huntington, Pa. Her reputation as a wonderful nurse was widespread. They built and occupied the frame house, No. 342 Pearl street, still standing, the first and oldest dwelling in this locality. Here was organized November 9, 1816, Trinity parish. In 1828 Trinity Church building was completed on Seneca street. The names of its West Side incorporators were Josiah BARBER, Phineas SHEPARD, and Charles TAYLOR.
William SHEPARD, grandson of Deliverance and Phineas, married Jeannette PEARSON, who came from St. Albans, Vt., in 1838. An extract of a letter written by her to another girl friend in Vermont in that year shows to some extent the status of the City of Ohio at that date:
“Dear Cousin: I have an opportunity to write you, and have so many thing to say I hardly know where to begin. I attend school where there are thirty pupils taught by Mr. and Mrs. Samuel FOX, from Colchester, Conn. I suppose you would like to know about Ohio City. There are three schools, eight stores, eight public houses, five houses of worship. Lake Erie bounds it on the north, the Cuyahoga River on the east, Brooklyn center on the south, and Rockport on the west.”
Mrs. H.A. HURLBUT, of Rutland, Vt., was by birth a SHELDON. The SHELDON family were among the early settlers of Deerfield, Mass., and were prominent in colonial and revolutionary annals. Her ancestor, John SHELDON, built and lived in the old historic Indian house not later than 1680. During the Deerfield massacre his wife was killed by the Indians, and the rest of the family were taken captive to Canada and redeemed within a year or two. Mrs. HURLBUT’s maternal ancestor was Thankful BARNARD. Mr. and Mrs. HURLBUT came to Ohio City in 1835. They belonged to the “Old Settlers’ Association.” Miss Jane JOHNSON, who married the brother of Mr. H.A. HURLBUT, is a woman of active benevolence, now living on Euclid avenue.
Rosamond HARRIS (Mrs. Levi SARGENT) came with her husband from Plainfield, N.H., in 1818. They built and occupied the second frame house on the West Side. She was also its first Abolitionist and first temperance woman, and said of those times that it was easier to get a gallon of whisky than an equal amount of rain water.
Jerusha T. SARGENT (Mrs. Epaphras BARBER) in 1818 was taken from school in Troy, N.Y., at fourteen years of age to accompany her father and mother to the Western wilderness. Her “finishing” consisted in one painting lesson, and as far as her school life went the chapter was closed. For a girl of her fine tastes her lot in these rude wilds was a hard one. She married and settled on a farm on the South Side, then a forest, now densely peopled. Here she made up to some extent for her lost educational opportunities, as she said, sewing till she grew sick, then studying to the wee small hours of the morning. To her gentle, motherly care often fell double responsibility in nursing and caring for the sick, for in all new countries there were more men than women. She spun raw silk for which, however, there was not much market, there being no looms in this part of the country on which to weave it.
In her long, useful life of eighty-three years she never lost interest in general affairs; reviews, magazines, and especially new books were her greatest pleasure. At eighty-two she passed through the golden gates of Chautauqua with the graduating class, having taken a four years’ course of study.
At eighty-three she passed away at the beautiful home of her daughter, Tootie BARBER (Mrs. A.M. McGREGOR), on Long Island Sound, and was buried from East Cleveland, the home of her other daughter, Sophia (Mrs. James McCROSKY).
Elizabeth H. SARGENT married Mr. George L. CHAPMAN and settled in the home in which her children are now living, on Pearl street. She was an energetic worker among the poor, a comforter to the sick and forlorn. Her husband was for many years senior warden in St. John’s Church. It was a custom when making neighborly visits to carry small gifts as tokens of friendship. It is related of Mrs. Chapman that on starting out on one of these expeditions she looked around for the usual something to carry, and spying a batch of dough set to raise on the hearth, took that to her friend, who presently had it in her over baking into crisp, brown, loaves of bread.
In her son’s possession is a letter written by her to her mother-in-law in 1840, the days of Whigdom, from which are taken the following extracts pertinent to the times and political situation:
“General Harrison came over on Monday morning and took breakfast with most of the gentlemen here at the Pearl Street House” (now Franklin House) “opposite ours, at half-past 6. At seven a roomful of ladies were assembled to express by their presence their gratification at being permitted to see the man to whom they owed so much. We were all honored with an introduction and a hearty shake of the hand. At 8 o’clock he left in a packet for his humble home and amid the cheers of thousands.”
In the same letter her husband writes: “Money’s scarce. Wheat is fifty-six cents a bushel, corn twenty-five cents, oats twelve and one-half cents, potatoes ten cents, beef two and one-fourth cents a pound, and weighing the fore quarters only, butter eight cents, cheese three to four cents. So you see we can live on a small amount of money providing we are economical.”
The postage on this letter was twenty-five cents.
Julia SARGENT (Mrs. Robert SELDEN), sister to Mrs. BARBER and Mrs. CHAPMAN, lived on a farm for many years. She was a fine housekeeper, also had a great taste for reading, and was conversant with the topics of the day. Her family moved into town and occupied a house on Pearl street, where her daughter, Miss Susie SELDEN, now resides. Her other daughters were Julia (Mrs. Frank EDDY) and Miss Rosamond.
A splendid housekeeper was Mrs. Morris JACKSON (Flora L. SHEPHERD), and a very superior cook. A friend once said of her culinary art that he would know one of her loaves of bread if he went to heaven. They were always of the same size; an exact calculator, if she planned to bake forty or fifty or one hundred biscuits, her dough made exactly that number, not more or less. As in her day schools were not available, she was taught at home by private teachers.
Her husband’s pride and pleasure was his garden, laid out into squares. Vegetables were raised in the center of these and in the borders were dear, sweet, old-fashioned flowers, snap dragons, Canterbury bells, pompom chrysanthemums, tulips, and May and June clove pinks.
Mrs. Morris JACKSON and Professor Jared P. KIRKLAND were charter members of the first horticultural society of Northern Ohio. Mrs. JACKSON had two stepdaughters, Julia (Mrs. John H. SARGENT) and Alice (Mrs. W.E. STANDART), who graduated at the Misses LUDLOW’s school for young ladies, on the present Ontario street. Both of these ladies have been recently widowed. After Julia’s marriage with Mr. SARGENT, she became an extensive traveler, gathering a valuable collection of curios, of which is a painting two hundred and fifty years old. When a little girl her father took her sleighing and stopped at an inn in Miamisburg, twelve miles from Dayton. There she met an old French soldier, who had been one of Napoleon’s famous body guard. He showed her a wound received in the memorable battle of Austerlitz and the iron cross of the Legion of Honor he wore, and wept like a child when he talked of his beloved general.
Mrs. STANDART, her sister, is an agreeable companion, a good mother, beloved and respected by her sons, who have reached man’s estate. Her husband was the eldest son of Needham STANDART.
In the neighborhood of St. John’s Church lived Mrs. ROGERS, a widow from New York State, who possessing fine business faculties, was enabled by her push and energy to bring up her daughters well. She was one of the first purchasers of the sewing machine of the West Side, paying for it $100. One of her daughters married Elihu PECK, prominently connected with marine interests. Another married George WATERMAN, a builder of canal-boats, who amassed a moderate fortune.
Mrs. G.W. JONES (Sarah Rhodilla TENNY), of Orwell, Vt., at the age of seventeen, while visiting a brother at Amherst Corners, was solicited to teach school, the educational opportunities of the East having been far in advance of those in the new State of Ohio. She took charge of a school numbering seventy-three pupils, requiring a range of studies from the alphabet to advanced science. Meeting the prosperous young shipbuilder, George Washington JONES, a friendship was formed which resulted in marriage in 1838.
In 1841 Mr. and Mrs. JONES became residents of Ohio City, occupying a house on Columbus street, then regarded as its leading thoroughfare. Subsequently they removed to Church street, and later to Pearl street, where the homestead has been a leading landmark for thirty years.
Mr. JONES was for many years the leading shipbuilder of Cleveland, and a pioneer in the construction of the great steel vessels of today.
Their daughters are Rosanna (Mrs. WOODRUFF) and Adah (Mrs. BONNELL).
Mrs. JONES, through domestic in her tastes, is public-spirited. At the inception of the Woman’s Medical College she became one of its trustees, and for twenty years was on the managing board of the Protestant Orphan Asylum. She was also prominent in church and Sunday school work, and today the worthy poor never leave her door without practical aid and words of encouragement.
Miss Nancy JACKSON, a sister of Morris and Tower JACKSON, married Buell JONES, the brother of G.W. JONES. Their home, for those days, was a handsome brick house at the corner of Pearl and Washington streets. The family moved to Buffalo, and later to Milwaukee.
Their daughters are Mary (Mrs. Celan HENDEE) and Helen (Mrs. Lemuel ELLSWORTH), both living in Milwaukee.
One of the active supporters of the Franklin Methodist Episcopal Church is Mrs. George PRESLEY, whose maiden name was Susanna TAYLOR.
She tells that in 1843 all south of Franklin avenue was pasture land covered with scrub oaks, blackberry bushes, and other wild brushwood.
One lone farmhouse stood near the Monroe Street Cemetery, occupied by a family by the name of ROE.
Mrs. PRESLEY’s only daughter, Maria (Mrs. Barney ELDRIDGE), lives in Belvidere, Ill.
Other names well remembered in ealy days were Mr. and Mrs. Thomas BURNHAM, Dr. and Mrs. SAYLES, Mr. and Mrs. Horation BARSTOW, Dr. and Mrs. TILDON, Mr. and Mrs. Sanford LEWIS, Mr. and Mrs. HOYT.
Mr. and Mrs. Stephen N. HERRICK - Mrs. HERRICK was a BROOKS - came from East Haddam, Conn., in 1832, and built a home on Detroit street road, now Detroit street, which still remains; here were educated their daughters, Nancy (Mrs. Richard RUSSELL), and Eleanor (Mrs. Belden SEYMOUR). They attended the private school kept by Mr. and Mrs. FOX. Their way to school lay through a long strip of woods, and the path and driveway wound in and out among stumps of trees.
Mrs. HERRICK’s sister, “Aunt Susan” BROOKS, is remembered as a very sweet, interesting woman.
Mrs. Sophia NEWTON came from Colchester, Conn., with her daughter about 1838. In 1841 they removed to Oberlin, where Mary Sophia studied and completed her classical course. She married Reverend William PLATT, also a graduate from the same college and theological seminary. At the same time Mrs. Sophia NEWTON was married to Dr. Titus CHAPMAN; they went to Papeer, Mich., to engage in home mission work. Mrs. PLATT died at Ypsilanti, Mich., aged seventy-two. After Dr. CHAPMAN’s death which occurred in Oberlin, Mrs. CHAPMAN came to the West Side, and resided with a son and daughter at No. 141 Clinton street. She was eighty-four at the time of her death. Her daughter-in-law, Mrs. W.H. NEWTON, and her daughter, now Mrs. C.F. DUTTON, came in 1837.
Ursula CONNOVER (Mrs. Charles TAYLOR0 came from Schnectady, N.Y., in 1819. She was a stanch Presbyterian, he husband a devoted Episcopalian. She entertained the ministers and elders of her denomination, and he kept open house for his. Frequent religious services, Sunday school and other gatherings were held in the east room of their home.
Their farm of one hundred acres extended from State street to the end of the old riverbed on a plateau overlooking the lake. The house, No. 386 Detroit street, still stands. Mrs. Moses LUFKIN and Mrs. Daniel DENISON, their two daughters, lived for many years in this house, with its big, old-fashioned fireplace and wide stone hearth, on which the hunter deposited his game, then more plentiful.
Affa LOWELL (Mrs. Stephen STANDART), afterward Mrs. Daniel TINKER, was born in Hartford, Conn., and came to the West Side in 1849, bringing her daughter, Affa Lowell STANDART, who married Dewitt Clinton TAYLOR.
Their home was built in the garden of the old homestead. After some years they moved to Clinton street. This and Taylor street received their family names. Mrs. TAYLOR is a graceful, pretty woman, a kind neighbor, and devoted mother, who lives to bless her household.
Mrs. NEEDHAM (Naomi WILBUR) STANDART, was gentle and motherly, very hospitable. Her husband was Mayor of the “City of Ohio” in 1840 and 1841.
The house in which Mrs. NEEDHAM died, a large, roomy mansion, is still in excellent condition. In her time it was surrounded by spacious grounds, on which flowers and fruit trees grew in rich abundance.
Before the war, and for some years afterward, the NEEDHAM STANDART mansion was the scene of many brilliant evening parties which were the general subject of conversation for weeks afterward.
Tradition records that the cupola of the house sheltered many a poor colored fugitive, previous to their transportation to Canada and to freedom.
About 1842 Mrs. DAVIS, her husband, and two daughters, Elise (Mrs. Nelson SANFORD) and Helen (Mrs. Ebin COE) moved to Ohio City. Their residence on Detroit street, which at that time was quite an imposing one, was afterward the scene of a brilliant wedding. In the large upper apartment called the ballroom, Miss Chloe LEWIS, sister to Mrs. DAVIS, who came with the family, married Mr. Joseph REDINGTON. The banquet was illuminated with tall wax candles in silver and glass candlesticks, and served by colored waiters from one of the large steamboats plying between Cleveland and Buffalo.
The REDINGTONs lived for many years (till Mr. Redington’s death) on Franklin avenue, adjoining the reservoir. They had four interesting daughters, the eldest of whom are Eleanor (Mrs. CARTER, of Philadelphia) and Helen (Mrs. Henry ADAMS). Mr. REDINGTON was a fine musician, and led the singing for three generations of Sabbath school children in the Congregationalist church. His widow resides in Toledo. His sister, Mrs. Julia REDINGTON FURGESON, is well known in West Side circles.
Mrs. Cynthia LEWIS, Mrs. DAVIS’ mother, followed, and lived with her, dying at the home of Mrs. REDINGTON ninety years of age.
Mr. and Mrs. DAVIS lived to celebrate their golden wedding. She was a strong character, though quiet and domestic. By her words of wisdom and good sense, she made and retained enduring friendships.
Mr. Nelson SANFORD’s mother, Mrs. Daniel SANFORD (Maria BROUWER, or New York State), when first coming, lived in the MILL’s house, on Detroit street, and later bought land and dwelt in the house known as the “Lamb place,” on the northeast corner of Detroit and State streets, now completely covered with a huge, unsightly rink.
Mrs. SANDFORD is very old, and has outlived her husband and all but one of her family of five sons.
During the war of the Revolution, Annie McDOLE married Daniel BUXTON and went from Vermont to settle in Buffalo. While there the British soldiers burned their house, destroying all their possessions. A chest sunk into the earth containing a few valuables was lost, and a little bag of money left on the bureau was forgotten in the haste of flight. Homeless they fled to Ohio, settled on the east side of the Cuyahoga River, lived there two years, then moved to the West Side, putting up the first frame house on the one hundred acre TAYLOR farm. In this house in the month of May took place the wedding of their daughter, Miss Cordelia, to Mr. Seth H. SHELDON, a prosperous druggist. At the suggestion of one of their merry guests, they were married on the roof, over the dining room, under the shimmering stars. “It goes without saying: that the pioneer atmosphere of those days was of a purer quality than the present smoky descendant, and presented no obstacle to roof parties. An ode written for this occasion by Mr. Nathaniel BENNETT is still preserved by her for whom it was written.
This frame house was replaced before long by a more pretentious brick dwelling, from which the BUXTON and SHELTON families afterward moved to make room for Mr. and Mrs. William H. VAN TINE, who made this arrangement a condition of their settling on the West Side. This house still remains. Mr. SHELDON bought a lot on Franklin avenue, and put up a substantial house, where his widow and their daughter, Miss Ellen SHELDEN, still reside. Her other daughters were Anna (Mrs. HOLLOWAY) and Sarah (Mrs. Horace ALLEN). Mrs. SHELDON is the only living charter member of the First Presbyterian, now First Congregational Church, of West Side.
One of the earliest and best doctors was Dr. Benjamin SHELDON, brother to Seth, who came with an invalid wife, and his sister, Miss Sarah, who taught the first free school in this section. She sickened and died while at her post.
Mr. SHELDON filled the position of May - or during the years 1850, ’51, and ’52.
His daughter, Mrs. BURDICK, was a woman of lovely character.
Mrs. SHELDON’s sister, Eliza BUXTON, married Mr. Alvin TURNER, who built the house which still stands, corner of Washington and Hanover streets, and later occupied by Captain and Mrs. Elias SIMS.
Another physician of good reputation was Dr. C.E. HILL, a graduate of Yale. His wife was a most estimable woman, ever ready and willing to be of use to her friends, capable and intelligent. They built in a corn field, no other house in sight. He filled the position of clerk of the city for ten years, after retiring from a successful practice.
Always a temperance worker, prominent in the woman’s crusade, born to have persecution and hardship, Mrs. R.A. CANNON belongs in the front rank of earnest pioneers in the cause of humanity, as well as for early settlement in Ohio City, to which she came in 1822. She was born in Auburn, N.Y., in 1820, is seventy-six years of age, though presenting the appearance of a much younger woman. She has lived in Cleveland fifty-five years. She started a Sabbath school, out of which grew a church.
When Hiram College was first started she and her husband contributed $500 to assist the work. Mrs. CANNON is the only charter member of the Disciple Church now living. Jane JOHNSTON was married in Northfield, O., to David POLLOCK, and settled on the West Side in 1846. She was a woman who endeared herself by her lovely Christian qualities to a large circle of friends.
Maria TAPPAN (Mrs. John MARTIN), an early member of the Disciple Church, died in her home, which still stands on Pearl street.
Mrs. B.A. HINSDALE, wife of Professor HINSDALE, now of Ann Arbor, Mich., was also an early member.
Miss Betsy SESSIONS moved with her parents from York State in 1835 to Summit county, Ohio, crossing the Cuyahoga River on a ferry, and driving up West River street past the Chapman House, standing then as now on Pearl street, overlooking the Flats.
The whole valley presented a pleasing picture of meadow, wood, and swamp land, covered at that season with beautiful pink blossoms. She returned to live here permanently in 1838. Upon her marriage with Mr. Alfred DAVIS (well remembered as Captain DAVIS), she went to housekeeping on Church street, in the chambers of the house occupied by the FOUTS family. She visited the sick and afflicted, and spent much time in nursing and in the performance of kind deeds. She was an active member in what was known as the “Benevolent Society of Ohio City.”
Charlotte MERRELL married Mr. David GRIFFETH at Oak’s Corners; they moved to Rochester, then about 1836 came to Ohio City with their three children, Mary (Mrs. STARKWEATHER), John, and Nathaniel, and while building their home on Washington street, at the brow of the hill, boarded in the Pearl Street House, which later took the name of Franklin House, and still stands, a relic of old-time prosperity.
Mrs. GRIFFETH was a humanitarian in the broadest sense of the word. The woman who helped in her household cares had come to her door with a six-months infant in her arms. As she was slightly colored it was suspected that she was a fugitive slave fleeing from the South. She remained with the family, and for years would give no account of herself. She was known only as Ann. Her infant grew to manhood, went to the war, at last missed roll-call, and was heard from no more. Mrs. GRIFFETH died of cholera, an epidemic raging at that time, on the morning of August 14. By night the house was thronged not alone with friends and neighbors, but with many poor beneficiaries of her bounty. She was a fitting helpmeet for her husband, who for a long time was junior and senior warden in St. John’s Church.
In connection with religious matters may be mentioned the pond at the back of the GRIFFETH house frequently used by the Disciples for dipping the members of their persuasion. As in frosty weather the ice sometimes formed and inch thick on the surface, the bath then was a cold one, and the walk home, with frozen, stiffened garments a severe test to Christian fortitude. Mr. GRIFFETH was elected Mayor in 1847.
Elizabeth KROM (Mrs. Thomas DIXON), an intelligent talker with whom it is a pleasure to converse, came in 1847 from Kingston, N.Y.
Although of pure Yankee descent and born in Massachusetts, Miss Gratia M. WILCOX became a Buckeye of the staunchest kind. When quite young she removed to Brecksville, O., making the journey in an ox team with her parents, Josiah and Abigail WILCOX. In 1837 she came to Cleveland, married Mr. John BEVERLIN who, in 1848, was Mayor of “the City of Ohio.” For a time they resided on Detroit street hill, overlooking the river, a most picturesque site; then built a pleasant home on the corner of Stand and Clinton streets, where was celebrated their golden wedding. She was a patriotic woman, and devoted to the interest of her church. Her daughter, Julia, married Mr. Charles STANART, a son of Needham and Naomi STANART.
Mrs. George TIEBOUT and her two sisters, Mary and Margaret WILSON, of Waterloo, N.Y., came in 1843. Mrs. TIEBOUT’s three daughters, Margaret, Martha, and Frances, also pioneers, were refined, intelligent, and benevolent women.
Mrs. Charles L. RHODES came with her husband to Franklin Mills (now Kent) in 1833; afterward to Cleveland, West Side. While not a very early pioneer here she was the intimate friend and associate of most of those whose names appear in this history. Her house was on the spot not occupied by St. Malachi’s Church, and was the center of hospitality. All works of charity appealed to her sympathy. Her daughters are Catherine (Mrs. PALMER) and Abbie (Mrs. Addison HOUGH), both of Cleveland.
Miss Mary Eleanor HURD, of Middle Haddam, Conn., married Mr. Horace FOOT, a Yale graduate of brilliant literary attainments. They settled in Ohio City in 1836. He practiced law, and was after some years elevated to the bench, a position he maintained with extraordinary ability for twenty years.
Eunice Shepard PIERCE (Mrs. Jesse F. TAINTOR) came in 1834, and resided on Clinton street. She was soprano singer in the Congregational Church, strongly interested in its welfare; her husband’s warmest sympathizer, always seconding his business projects, which were in the banking and mercantile line. He was one of the organizers and founders of “The Society for Savings,” on the East Side. Mr. and Mrs. TAINTOR were passionately fond of flowers, and so great was his success in this line that friends would jokingly assert he had only to put a stick in the ground to see a handsome rose in full bloom.
Mrs. TAINTOR, the mother of seven children, was a typical woman; tall, graceful, lovely, possessed of energy and tact.
Mary Harriet PALMER (Mrs. Norman C. BALDWIN) was born at Goshen, Litchfield county, Conn. On her wedding day she started for the New Connecticut, went to Hudson, O., then with her husband and child, moved to Ohio City in 1830 or 1831, where Mr. BALDWIN became largely interested in real estate. In 1847 the family moved to the East Side, occupying a home on Euclid avenue. Mrs. BALDWIN was the mother of nine children, four sons and five daughters, five of whom are still living. She became a member of St. John’s Episcopal Church, and was ever faithful to her Christian duties. She was peculiarly reticent and unassuming, with a quiet force of character, gentle in her manner, and wise in her counsel. None who knew her intimately could fail to appreciate her.
In all the relations of life as a wife, mother, friend, and neighbor, she was without reproach. She died in 1867 at her home in Cleveland.
Amelia CHOLLETTE, born at Kingston-on-Hudson, married Henry HALE, an artist, of Stonehouse, Gloucestershire, England; soon after moved to Cleveland (West Side), settled on Washington street, later on Franklin avenue, where they resided over forty years. She was an earnest member of the Methodist Church, and exemplary Christian character, liberal in benefactions to the poor and distressed. She loved flowers; modest and retiring, never very strong, she found her constant pleasure in her home life. She departed this life June 14, 1895. She left one son and three married daughters, well known in social and musical circles.
Mrs. F.R. ELLIOTT (Sophia HOPKINS) was a liberal entertainer, whose house was always open for guests. She was not afraid of work, and was a notable cook. Her husband, a landscape gardener, wrote the well-known ELLIOTT’s fruit book. He set out trees on their beautiful place, on Detroit street, near the Nickel Plate crossing, which are now growing and flourishing.
Mr. and Mrs. Ephraim WILSON resided on Pearl street with their two children. Mrs. WILSON was skillful with her needle, and did exquisite embroidery on her children’s clothes, which was the admiration of her friends.
Mrs. Mary NEWELL CASTLE was born in Charlotte, Vt. After finishing her education in Middleburg and Burlington she came to Ohio City in 1838. She married in 1840 William B. CASTLE, a young man of sterling character, who in after years nobly fulfilled the promise of his youth. In 1843 he became president of the Cuyahoga Furnace, and so skillfully managed its affairs as to win for it a leading position among the iron industries of the country. He was the last Mayor of Ohio City before its consolidation with Cleveland, and its first Mayor afterward (1854). His accomplished wife was a fitting helpmeet in all his public career. Both were intensely interested in the welfare of St. John’s Church, of which for some time he was senior warden. He was also prominent in the choir. Mrs. CASTLE has been an extensive traveler through old and new countries, and is a most interesting conversationalist, having seen much of the world, and gleaned freely of its intelligence. Mr. CASTLE’s father and mother were Jonathan and Frances P. CASTLE, with whom he came from Essex, Vt., in 1827. In 1832 Jonathan and his son, William B., established the first lumber yard in this township.
Jonathan CASTLE had three daughters - Frances, who married Robert HENRY; Sarah, Mr. Richard FIELD; and Mary, Mr. LOCKWOOD.
The name of Kate NEWELL DOGGET stands as a beacon light among West Side women. Her father and mother brought her from Charlotte, Vt., in 1837. They resided for a time on Clinton street; her stepfather, Mr. Calvin WALTER, taking charge of the elegant hotel, “The Exchange.”
Kate inherited a devotion to study and literary pursuits, and possessed rare executive ability. After her marriage with Mr. William DOGGET, she lived in Chicago, and it is said that the women of that city owe more to her than to any other one person. At this time there was not an institution of learning in Chicago to which she did not lend valuable aid. She founded their well-known literary society, the “Fortnightly.” Her Cleveland friends well remember her classic lecture on “Aspasia,” in this city. She was an accomplished linguist, and well versed in the arts and sciences. She translated a work on art by Charles BLANC. The impetus she gave to woman culture cannot be overestimated. She died in Cuba, Havana.
Alice BESWICK (Mrs. Daniel COWLE),of Lancashire, England, settled in Ohio City in 1840. Their son, Mr. John COWLE, married Catherine GILLET, of Cobden, Ill., in 1847. Mrs. COWLE, a woman of marked amiability and of a modest retiring disposition, was a member of St. John’s Church Missionary Society, and a generous giver to its frequent calls. Mr. COWLE is full of reminiscences, and remembers the old log cabin, on the southwest corner of Detroit and Pearl streets, devoted to Whigism during the Harrison and Tyler campaign.
Susan TISDALE, born and brought up in Ohio City, married at fifteen Mr. Henry WHITMAN, and lived on Detroit road. She was a resolute character, and sincere in her friendships.
Mrs. SWEAT and Mrs. CALDWELL were two well-known neighbors, living on the lower end of Pearl street, below Detroit street. Mrs. SWEAT was lively and full of fun, fond of entertaining her friends.
Mrs. Frances McKAY (Mrs. John DEGNON) received her early training in New York city at the home of an aunt, who lived in affluence and luxury. Having frequent access to a fine library, she imbibed an ardent love of books, a taste which she also inherited from her father, who was a profound student in Latin and Greek.
Familiar with astronomy, she could with ease define the stars and constellations. An authority in history, her memory was never appealed to in vain. She married Mr. John DEGNON, went to Hartford, Conn., removed to Ohio City, and resided in a house corner of Church and Hanover streets, whose heavy beams and timbers still defy the ravages of time. Here in her large kitchen, the young people held their merry-makings, and as the shades of evening closed around them, and the only light was that of sputtering tallow dips, they gathered around the great fireplace, the shining brass and irons piled high with blazing logs, and told weird tales of ghosts and goblins.
A devout lady of an unusually lovely disposition was Lucy FITCH, daughter of Rev. Ebin FITCH, president of Williams College. She married Ezekiel FOLSOM, a prominent elder of the First Presbyterian Church.
His brother, Gilman FOLSOM, married Hadassah BALLARD, from Vermont in 1834.
On July 4, 1837, took place the opening of the famous hotel on Main street, known as the “Exchange.” A grand ball was given in its spacious salons, at which Mr. and Mrs. FOLSOM danced. Nothing more elegant than this structure at that time could be found this side of New York city. Its entrance and stairway were built of solid mahogany. Another event which made it for the Western Reserve a red letter, as well as a sky rocket day, was the sailing of a steamboat on the old riverbed, the water being high.
Mrs. FOLSON having undergone a religious experience, danced no more; she became a faithful, consistent Christian, zealous in good works. Some years after the celebration, one of her errands of mercy took her to the “Exchange,” over which had come a sad metamorphosis. Its former splendor had given place to wretched squalor; over one hundred poor families here abode, and the story goes that pigs were quartered in the fourth and fifth stories. So thick did this turbulent, obstinate army become that a sort of alliance was formed, and the landlord found it impossible to collect his rent. An agent was appointed, a belligerent Englishman, who met with better success. A stroke of lightning which struck the tower put an end to the trouble and dispersed the tenants. The daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gilman FOLSOM was Hadassah, who was the second wife of Mr. W. H. VAN TINE.
Mary ADAMY (Mrs. Archibald POWELL) and her husband and daughter, Helen (Mrs. Richard McKITTRICK) spent four days in coming from Buffalo on the old steamer Uncle Sam in 1833. They bought Lorenzo CARTER’s farm, near the Cuyahoga Furnace, and established a tavern or inn in the old farmhouse. Helen picked blackberries and huckleberries in the woods on Detroit street. On the farm were beehives, smokehouses, and other farm appliances.
Margaret THIRLWALL (Mrs. LOWRIE), who came from England in 1844, was a true sympathizer with every one in trouble; she was a lover of nature, fond of birds and flowers, a true Christian, and a member of St. John’s Episcopal Church for more than forty years.
Mr. and Mrs. HARDING, of Philadelphia, at first located in Warren, where they lived in a log house, adorned on the inside with planed and fitted lumber, a sale carpet (as it was called), not the customary rag carpet, on the floor. While there Mr. HARDING made a trip to England, bringing home fine china of the old willow ware pattern, three hundred years old. Their beautiful things were the envy and admiration of their neighbors, who often brought their friends to look at Mrs. HARDING’s fine clothes; their neighborly feelings sometimes carried them to greater lengths that was desirable, and at last she demurred, on being asked to lend her shoes to wear to the city. Accustomed to luxurious living in Philadelphia, she found the life in these rugged wilds very hard to endure, and often cried for very forlornness. They moved to Ohio City and located on the southwest corner of Pearl and Lorain streets, where now the building of the West Side Banking Company now stands.
Mr. and Mrs. Edgar SLAGHT came from New York about 1830, and lived in the first house built on Detroit street. Mrs. SLAGHT was so fond of a water view that a new home was built on Washington street, which at that time was considered a very desirable locality, commanding an extensive view of the lake, whose broad expanse presented an ever-shifting panorama of storm and sunshine, of “ships that passed in the night,” or floated lazily by in the day. Here, as often before, human foresight erred, for what was then clear perspective against the blue horizon, now presents an altogether different picture of thickly-set dwellings. Mrs. SLAGHT has been a devoted member of the First Congregational Church from its early beginning. In 1834 her husband built the session house, then devoted to the Presbyterian form of worship.
Mrs. BRANCH’s name belongs also to the list of brave pioneer women. Mrs. CANFIELD, wife of Dr. CANFIELD, one of the early preachers in the session house, whose excellent qualities had won for her the love of a wide circle of friends, died, and the session house proving inadequate to hold the large body of mourners, she was buried from St. John’s Episcopal Church.
Mrs. William M. BURTON, daughter of Bishop SOULE, the statesman bishop, as he has been called, of the Methodist Church South, was her husband’s comfort and solace during the short time he held the rector’s position in St. John’s Episcopal Church. He had the sensitive physique of the scholar, having spent the greater part of his life in a professor’s chair, and in the service of Wesleyan University, at Middletown, Conn. Becoming too delicate for the rugged winters of the lake shore, he resigned to accept the charge of a parish in Michigan. In a few years he passed away; his widow returned to the South, and lived to an advanced age. His successor the Reverend Lewis BURTON, married the daughter of the late James WALLACE, of scotch-Irish descent; she was born in Petersburg, O., received a liberal education, and was married in 1841. In 1847 Rev. Lewis BURTON took charge of St. John’s Church. Through all his ministry his wife was his faithful and efficient companion, ruling well her woman’s kingdom. She found time, amid her multitudinous cares, to participate directly in her husband’s world, and while devoted to the service of the Episcopal ritual, an impromptu prayer, which moved the hearts of her hearers, came readily enough to her lips when occasion required. She is now active in the Woman’s Christian Association, and helped in organizing and managing many of the city’s charities. She was strongly interested in the great temperance movement which swept over the State, and made her influence felt on the side of soberness and purity. Her husband passed away in 1894. Their children and Mrs. Amelia LESLIE, Mrs. Elizabeth BACKUS, and the Rt. Rev. Lewis BURTON, bishop of the Episcopal diocese of Lexington, Ky.
Her sisters are Mrs. Minerva WELMORE and Mrs. Eliza JENNINGS, the latter the beneficent founder of the Home for Incurables, on Detroit street, which bears her name. This esteemed and cultivated lady added to the education afforded by the schools of this country the culture of foreign travel. She felt deeply a sense of her responsibility as stewardess of large means, which she used to some extent in the education of young men and women; many a man owes to her his start in business, and even a first failure did not always prevent another trial. By her generosity numerous churches were extracted from hopeless debt. The Industrial School and Farm, on Detroit street, are other monuments to her philanthropy.
In 1840 Hanover street was called West street; Franklin avenue, Prospect street, which continued until the consolidation of Ohio City with Cleveland in 1854.
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph PRIOR’s house still remains on Duane street.
Mrs. And Mrs. Lyman BEARDSLEY and Mrs. and Mrs. Charles BEARDSLEY built houses on Clinton street, both of which are yet in good condition.
Joseph and Mrs. Sarah JOHNSON PALMER lived first on Washington street, later moved to Detroit street. Mr. PALMER came in 1835 from Norwich, Conn. The good deacon was a noted philanthropist, and his home a shelter and refuge for poor, colored fugitives fleeing from the South, for whom he found safe transportation to Canada. Their daughter, Sarah, died after reaching maturity. Their only grandson, Arthur Hubbell PALMER, is a professor in Yale College, and resides in New Haven.
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas WHALEY moved to the West Side in 1844. Mr. WHALEY filled the position of engineer on the Empire, the largest steamer at the time on the great lakes, and built by the Cuyahoga Furnace Company for traffic between Buffalo and Chicago. Mrs. WHALEY was a faithful attendant on the service of St. John’s Church. The one regret of her life was having been born in Canada, under the British Government. Her father was the first doctor in Canada to introduce Peruvian bark as a medicine. At the time of the Revolutionary War he declined to fight, as he said it was a foolish thing for a handful of colonists to engage in so futile and undertaking against so powerful a country as Great Britain.
Mrs. Elisha STERLING, whose husband at that time was connected with the Cuyahoga Furnace, was a refined, dignified lady, conservative and aristocratic.
Elizabeth CONKLIN (Mrs. Thomas MASTERS), noted, as was also her husband, for their piety; it was their custom to pray before daybreak, at noon, and at night. This, however, as is sometimes the case, did not interfere with their practical affairs. Their table was a bountiful one, and Mrs. MASTER’s salt rising bread had a well-merited reputation.
Mr. and Mrs. BALL’s house on Franklin avenue is still a fine dwelling, later occupied by Captain GUYLES, whose first wife, Ruby, was a pioneer. Mr. BALL had several daughters, two of whom, Eunice and Mary, both beautiful and bright, died in young womanhood.
Jane C. GLIDDEN (Mrs. Deacon Daniel N. MALLERY), from Craftsbury, Vt., came in 1837. Gentle and unobtrusive in her disposition, she was well known for the orderliness and scrupulous neatness of her household.
Jane LYTLE (Mrs. James MAGUIRE), when a little girl, went to school in Vermont, moved to Cleveland in 1834, and went to Miss HARRIS’ school on Pearl street. Mrs. MAGUIRE is a much-esteemed woman of quiet, domestic tastes.
The same year, 1834, Emeline HURLBURT (Mrs. Rufus SWIFT) came from Chatham, Conn. Her fine sewing and exquisite needlework, as well as her sprightly and helpful presence, made her a valuable aid in the frequent sewing societies of her church. Her only daughter, Harriet, married Milton C. CANFIELD, and resides in the old home on Clinton street.
Mrs. WILLARD was an estimable woman who lived on Washington street, as was also Mrs. BOWLER, who lived on Ann street, now called Dexter place in honor of the DEXTER family, who reside there. On the corner of Franklin avenue and the Circle lived Mrs. F.U. MASTERS, whose husband was at one time Mayor of the city. Mrs. MASTERS was a graceful and attractive woman, with finely-cultured taste and a love of books. She died, leaving young children bereft of a mother’s love and tenderness.
Margaret SOUTHERLAND and her husband, Samuel HOLGATE, brought their daughter Julia, afterwards Mrs. John HAVER, from Milton, Vt., in 1834. Both mother and daughter were devoted to their home interests. Mrs. HAVER now lives on Liberty street with her widowed daughter and her grandchildren. Her watchful, ministering care will always be to them a grateful remembrance.
The house in which lived Mrs. Nathaniel BENNETT, No. 92 Clinton street, was a hospitable one, which was the scene of many pleasant reunions.
Mrs. TAPPAN’s husband, “Major” TAPPAN, as he was called, was a popular music teacher.
Another calling not to be slightingly passed over was that of merchant tailoring, in which Mr. SWAFIELD was engaged. His wife, Mrs. SWAFIELD, went from house to house making boys’ clothes, as was the custom then.
Mr. and Mrs. VIETS brought considerable means with them, with which they started a store, but the settlers, being poor, were unable to purchase freely, and the venture was an unfortunate one.
The Disciple Church had its small beginnings like the others. In 1832 the pioneer preacher, William HAYDEN, was asked by O’CONNOR, a new convert living two miles west of the Cuyahoga, to preach in the village “down near the river.” HAYDEN agreed if a congregation could be obtained. At 10 o’clock on a certain Monday morning O’CONNOR started out and canvassed every house in the community. Nearly every family came. Mrs. Armon O’CONNOR and Mrs. W.B. STORER were among the first converts. In June, 1836, greater strides were made, at which time, it is said, the cause of infidelity as championed by Irad DELLEY failed after four days of debate. The Disciple Church was established in 1842, under the shadow of the New Disciple Church, its stately successor. The names of some of its pioneer supporters are: Mrs. Jeptha E. and Mrs. David W. NICKERSON, Mrs. G. CALKINS, Mrs. RODERICK and Mrs. J. CALKINS, Mrs. S.S. CALKINS, Mrs. William CLAYTON, Miss Emeline MERRICK, Mrs. J. COMSTOCK, Miss Pauline WHITE, Mrs. Daniel TILDEN, Mrs. STILLMAN, Mrs. A.B. DARE, Mrs. T. PERRY, Mrs. Chester WRIGHT, and Miss WRIGHT.
The first Presbyterian Church of the West Side commenced its public worship, December, 1834, in the brick school house on Vermont street. Rev. Joseph KEEP addressing the assembly. On December 29 a meeting for the election of officers was held at the residence of Mrs. Charles TAYLOR, on Detroit street. During 1835 the ladies of this church were active in providing schools for those whose parents could not afford to send them to the private schools in the village. In November, 1836, Rev. James D. PECANDS, with his wife, accepted the ministry of this church. He was an earnest man, working and exhorting in season and out of season, and woe betide the woman who presumed to attend worship decked in more than the ordinary habiliments of a proper Sunday attire. He never wavered in his stern duty of calling her to account or of drawing attention to her as, for instance, “the woman over there with feathers in her bonnet.”
Catherine RENNIE married Henry SHANKS at Black Rock, N.Y., in 1833. He came here in 1834 and built a house in the woods, which is still in good condition, now No. 249 Hanover street. The following year he was joined by his wife. They possessed the first canary birds in this part of the country, and for a long time raised the feathered songsters for sale. Mr. SHANKS was one of the projectors of the old Eagle foundry.
A Scotch lassie was Ann SKIRVING of Dundee, Scotland, who married Mr. John BEANSON and sailed across the water, traveling from New York city through the wilderness to Ohio City. They went to board in the old McLISH House, on Pearl street, and finally settled in the first house built on Woodbine street.
Mr. and Mrs. BLAKE and their daughter Rebecca (Mrs. DE GROAT) located in the village in 1824, traveling by ox-team and canal-boat from Brattleboro, Vt. She is still an active, energetic woman. Her father was the baby who was carried over the Green Mountains by his mother, who, losing her way, stripped herself of her garments to save her boy from the bitter cold. She was frozen to death. The babe lost some of his toes, but lived to be an old man and left many children. The incident furnished the theme for a poem familiar to the school children of a past generation. Mr. BLAKE was the first sexton of Monroe Street Cemetery.
Maria HAVEN (Mrs. William FULLER) received her education in Vermont.
Mrs. WARBURTON, a finely educated Irish lady, was a well-remembered teacher of music, faithful and persevering in her profession.
Other memorable names are Mrs. SOLWAY, Mrs. LE PELLEY, Mrs. John DOUGLASS, the Misses COX, Mrs. Thomas BURREN (Jeanette TURNER), Lydia WHITNEY from Connecticut; Miss Laura HATHAWAY, a school teacher; Miss CRAIG who married Mr. BLUSH; Mr. and Mrs. MEYERS, Mrs. LANGHORN, Mr. and Mrs. ADAMS, and Mr. and Mrs. LAPHRANTER.
In 1831 Mary Elizabeth PRITCHARD, when six years of age, with her father and mother, Erastus and Permelia PRITCHARD of Columbia, Lorain county, settled on a farm on Detroit road, just west of Gordon avenue. The house was built of logs, and the big, round boulder near the front door, on which Mary and her little friends played tea party, still remains, and is likely to remain forever. She went to school in the first brick school house. She married W.H. TUTTLE, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse TUTTLE, who came in 1819. In her possession is a curious powder horn made by her father in 1834.
Strongsville received its name from the family of Mr. J.H. STRONG, who came to Ohio City before 1844.
Another pioneer family by the name of MOSES lived at the corner of Detroit and Duane streets.
Mrs. S.H. CROW (Harriet CRABTREE) is well remembered as a faithful member of the Franklin Methodist Episcopal Church.
The beginning of the Methodist church on the West Side was in 1833, when ten of the members of the society who lived in the village met and formed at class at the residence of Nathaniel BURTON, uncle of Isaac, Sydney, and Byron BURTON, and Mrs. Chittenden LEWIS.
BURTON’s family consisted of his wife, Lucy, his daughter Louise, by a former marriage, and his wife’s daughter, Sarah B. RICE. The CONKLIN family furnished four more members. Mother Salome CONKLIN, her daughter, Elizabeth, her son Joshua, and his wife Rachel. Mr. and Mrs. BRISTOL, and John SMITH who married Sarah RICE. The last mentioned ten constituted the charter members of the Methodist Church.
Sarah RICE’s sister, Lucy B., married William BURTON, known as Squire BURTON, who at one time kept the Pearl Street House. Their daughter married Captain L.A. PIERCE; she is now living on Prospect street, enterprising and energetic, actively engaged in hospital work. The house where the class met was afterward occupied by Mr. and Mrs. A.P. TURNER.
In March, 1834, Mr. and Mrs. William WARMINGTON moved from the East Side to a small dwelling house on Detroit street, near the corner of Pearl street. Here, Father CONANT preached the first Methodist sermon on the West Side.
Father REED changed the place of worship to the small brick house on Vermont street. Other pioneer names of the Methodist Society are Mr. and Mrs. PARMETER, Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose ANTHONY, Mr. and Mrs. Diodate CLARK, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel TYLER, Mr. and Mrs. Ezra HONEYWELL, Mr. and Mrs. Harman WILCOX.
The frame for the new church was prepared by Joseph STORER, Sr., but Diodate CLARK persuaded them to build one of brick. By November, 1836, the walls were ready for the roof; a severe storm one night leveled them to the ground. By the advice of Samuel TYLER and his noble wife, the walls were rebuilt. In 1837 the basement was finished. It was not until nine years later that the dedicatory sermon was preached by Rev. Lorenzo WARNER.
Mars and Katura WAGAR and infant son, Adam, came to the Western Reserve from Farmington, N.Y., in an ox cart in 1818. They brought a cow which was milked in the morning, the milk put in the churn, and by night, owing to the roughness of the roads and the jolting of the cart, was churned into butter. In 1820 they moved to the West Side, to East Rockport (now Lakewood). H was cut on the trees to mark the highway. Corduroy roads, made of logs laid crosswise, were in vogue. Mr. WAGAR was a Latin scholar and a student. His children were Adam, Israel D., Albert, Matilda, Anna, and Francis. The last one still lives in the old homestead. The children remember opening the door to listen to the howling of the wolves. At this time there were but two houses on the West Side. Adam married Margaret KYLE of Killbridge, Scotland, and built a frame house in a clearing by the old stage road. Their furnishings were brought in an ox cart, Mrs. WAGAR walking, carrying her choice china, which she brought from Scotland. Their first dinner was cooked at the side of a stump.
The NICHOLSONS were among the first settlers, and had the same sturdy traits that characterized the other pioneers.
Governor WOOD’s family were prominent at this early period.
In the fall of 1811, James FISH, his wife, two children, Mrs. STANTON, his wife’s mother, and Moses FISH, his cousin, moved in an ox team to Ohio and stopped at Newburg. Brooklyn at this time was a wild forest full of the red man, the township had been surveyed and run into quarter sections by agents who lived in Connecticut. James and Moses FISH thought they would look at these lands. James selected a good piece and Moses selected a quarter section. James built a log cabin and his family moved into it, but becoming frightened by Indians, went back to Newburg. Other families coming, they moved again to Brooklyn. Moses wrote to his brother Ebenezer, in Connecticut, to come and take one-half his land, which he did. A road (now Denison avenue) was run from Newburg to Rockport, which divided the property of the FISHES. They built a log cabin, in which they lived till the war of 1812. Ebenezer enlisted for six months and came out with honors. Afterward Moses was drafted. His health being poor, Ebenezer took his place and served the remainder of the war. He went back to Connecticut, married Miss Johanna STANTON, a smart, worthy woman who, on hearing of his Ohio farm, proposed moving there. Accordingly in 1818, with their two children, Eliza and Emily (afterwards Mrs. CORBIN and Mrs. BOOTH), his two brothers, and their families came in a large wagon drawn by two yoke of oxen. They all built and lived in log cabins.
Mrs. James FISH was the first white woman to settle in Brooklyn and her son, Isaiah W. FISH, was the first white child born there. She received on this account a present of a silk dress from the LORD and BARBER estate.
Isaiah FISH married for his first wife Matilda GATES and for his second Mary A. MOORE.
Mrs. Asa BRAINERD’s husband built in Brooklyn the first brick house and first frame barn, and Mrs. Ozias BRAINERD’s husband built the first brick house. Mrs. BRAINERD had four daughters.
At this period, with the exception of one family by the name of CHAPMAN, Brooklyn was peopled exclusively with BRAINERDS and FISHES.
In 1834 our women were obliged to get their grain ground at Newburg. The same year Loco Foco matches were introduced.
Two other children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Ebenezer FISH, Johanna (now Mrs. FOWLS), and John Moses married Miss BRAINERD. They endured hardships and discomforts long before enjoying the ordinary pleasures of existence. Fever and ague also added to the trials of the first settlers. Ebenezer was ninety-three when he died.
Mrs. Lydia FISH married Mr. Alexander INGHAM, and, with their son, settled in Brooklyn; their house was the first one in the place raised without the aid of whiskey.
Mrs. INGHAM was quiet and dignified, rather formal in her manner, but courteous to all, especially agreeable to those who sought her in her home. Her husband, a stickler for the old customs of the service of his church, was visibly disturbed and annoyed by the innovation, as he considered it, of a melodeon for purposes of worship. He, however, at last became reconciled, his good sense prevailing.
In 1826 Abigail FISH (Mrs. Michael B. FOSTER), her husband, and children, left the old homestead at Groton. The pursued the usual route to this place, and settled in Brooklyn.
Mrs. FOSTER’s father, a soldier of the Revolution, was one of twenty-five that survived the capture of the fort at Stonington, Conn.
Mrs. FOSTER was of a happy social disposition, a favorite with the young, who called her Aunt Nabby. She was a picture of sweet content as she sat in their midst of a winter evening, clicking her needles in front of the roasting of chestnuts, the popping of corn, while at the same time the apples and cider were going their merry round.
Her sister, Eunice FISH, who married Mr. John BOYDEN, came to Brooklyn in 1832, where, for half a century she was witness to the great changes and marvelous improvements that were taking place. She was a woman of clear judgment , with a cheerful disposition. Through her spinning wheel and knitting needles were seldom quiet, many specimens of her needlework are treasured up. While in her eightieth year her letters were delightfully entertaining, full of quaint sayings and pleasing reminiscences. Her daughter, Mrs. Asa FOOTE, still resides in Brooklyn. She attended the old academy, of which she became one of the most efficient teachers.
Betsy CLARK (Mrs. William AIKEN) is a most companionable woman, bright and intelligent, always ready with an answer, quick in repartee.
Other noteworthy names are Mrs. And Mrs. James SEARS, who came from Connecticut in 1817, also Mr. and Mrs. PELTON, who owned a large farm in this quarter.
Eveline Thankful FOSTER, afterwards Mrs. William Lord FOOTE, in 1826, at the age of nine years, came from Groton, Conn., with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Michael B. FOSTER, and their ten other children, to settle in Brooklyn.
Traveling in canvas-covered wagons, drawn by stout oxen, stopping at night, cooking their supper, leaving blazing fires to drive away prowling wolves and bears, and a guard to look out for Indians, and sleeping on boughs of trees, hastily cut for that purpose, they arrived after a tedious journey of thirty-three days.
Eveline and her sisters, Sally, Eunice, Nancy, and Matilda, were early taught to card, spin, and weave, and became expert in these then most necessary household duties. A skein of silk, yellow with age, is still witness of Eveline’s skill in reeling from the cocoon, her uncle being then interested in silk culture. She attended school at the old academy in Brooklyn, long taught by Mr. MERRILL, whose daughter married Mr. Andrew FREEZE, Cleveland’s first school superintendent.
After Eveline FOSTER’s marriage, she moved to Ohio City, where she spent many years of activity and usefulness.
In 1818 Sarah FLEMING moved with her father and mother from Trenton, N.J., to Zanesville, O. In 1826 she married George STORER, and made her wedding trip on horseback to Brooklyn, settling on the “ridge.” She was very domestic, an excellent nurse, and ministered to the sick for miles around; she was a great reader, especially fond of history. She was a consistent Christian, an ardent Methodist, the leading church publications were well patronized by her. She was a supporter of the Ladies’ Repository.
Her six children were Lydia Ann, Sarah Jane, William C., Charlotte May, Mary Emily, and Emma Louis (Mrs. Frederick WIRTH); Charlotte married George GARDINER.
Cemantha STEBBINS and Caroline BUXTON were familiar names.
Miss BUXTON taught in the Brooklyn academy, and her father having been unfortunate in business, her earnings as teacher were devoted to the purchase of a home for her family.
STELLA T. HATCH
Chairman and Historian
Committee - Miss Susie FOOTE, Mrs.Charlotte A. HATCH, Mrs. Seth SHELDON, Mrs. James McCROSKY, Mrs. L. LASCELLES, Mrs. Jane ELLIOTT SNOW
Cleveland - West Side
Mrs. Grange MANSFIELD was a well-known resident of the west side before it became incorporated with the city of Cleveland. She was born in 1818 in Portland, Chautauqua County, N.Y. Her maiden name was Muretta J. HOWARD, and she married Mr. MANSFIELD in 1838. They lived in Huron, O., two years and then removed to the west side. She raised a large family of boys and girls, all of whom are respected and useful citizens of the community. Her daughters are Jane, wife of Mr. SNEDDEN, and Ellen, wife of Hon. W.J. WHITE, both residing in Cleveland. The latter is well-known for her great kindness to those less favorably situated than herself. One instance of this character incidentally came to the knowledge of the writer recently, and is given as proof that good deeds are often so quietly performed as to attract little attention from the outside world.
A maiden lady, who had given music lessons to Mrs. WHITE in her youthful days, fell one day and broke her hip bone. She was taken to a hospital an, having slender means, was placed in the general ward. Mrs. WHITE learned of the accident to her old teacher, and, hastening to the hospital, had her removed at once to the best room it contained; sent for a skillful surgeon, and ordered that no expense be spared in making the patient comfortable. For many months she gave what was more than money - daily personal attention and sympathy. When able to be moved the lone lady was taken into Mrs. WHITE’s home, where she remained an honored guest in her family circle for over a year, awaiting the time when her limb should be perfectly healed and enable her to resume her teaching.
Her mother, Mrs. MANSFIELD, died in 1885, leaving twenty-four grandchildren and seventeen great-grandchildren. Her sons are S. A. MANSFIELD, of Collinwood, Frank H., of Cleveland, and Z.B. of Brooklyn N.Y.
Mr. Mansfield, Sr., at one time leased the land now the west terminus of the viaduct, and on it raised sweet potatoes. He also owned land and set out a peach orchard, now the site of the Peach Orchard public school.