hields Harness Shop.
Members of the working crew of the Joseph L. Shields Harness Shop." Identified in the photograph are Charles Phillips, Nick Hafer, Clarence Campion, Sidney M. Sid Briggs, and Joseph L. Shields.
Sid Briggs was born October 14, 1816, the son of John and Margaret (Elder) Briggs. He died in Forest on November 23, 1914 from a pulmonary embolism. He was buried in Hueston cemetery on December 6, 1914.
Charles E. Phillips was a harness maker and dealer in Forest. He was born about 1851 in Ohio. His parents were from Pennsylvania.
Born in Tiffin, Ohio about 1864, Nicholas Nick Hafer was 75 when he died March 30,1939 at Columbus State Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. He was listed as a laborer living in Forest at the time of his death from a five year chronic myocarditis condition. He was also single at the time of his death. His parents, John and Maggie Haffer, were both from Germany. He is also buried in Hueston cemetery.
Clarence Eugene Campion was a harness shop merchant born August 31, 1867. His parents, James C. and Mary (Pemberton) Campion were both from England. Clarence died in Forest on November 18, 1942 from carcinoma of the pyloric end of the stomach. He was buried in Patterson cemetery, Patterson, Ohio on November 20, 1942.
J. Frederick & Sons.
The signs in the front of the store read: " E.J. Frederick & Sons., Weber Wagons, DeLaval Cream Separators, and "International Harvester Mogus Farm Tractors Burn Kerosene or Distillate."
octor De Lavel.
Many years ago Dr. De Laval, who invented the first continuous discharge centrifugal cream separator, which has done more than any other factor to develop the dairy industry to its present magnitude, recognized the need for a mechanical milker if the dairy industry were to grow.
Dr. De Laval brought his great inventive genius, which was responsible for the invention of the steam turbine engine as well as the cream separator and many other scientific contributions of great importance, to bear upon the problem. He was granted his first patents upon a milker in 1894.
This first De Laval Milker had mechanically operated members to imitate the pressure of human hands. It milked cows successfully but was not commercially practical.
From that time until the present the De Laval Company has conducted almost continuous research, experiments and tests in order to perfect a mechanical milker. It is doubtful if any organization ever made a more thorough, prolonged and conscientious effort in order to perfect a machine.
In 1896 patents were applied for and issued in 1898 to Klein and Wright, employees of the De Laval Company, on a mechanical milker which operated under constant vacuum. It was not commercially practical.
In 1902, Hulbert and Park applied for patents, which were issued in 1904, on a milker which operated by means of compressed air cushions and vacuum. Experiments on this milker were continued by the De Laval Company and various types were made, upon which patents were issued in 1912, 1913 and 1914; and while machines of these types were developed which did fairly good work, they were not deemed sufficiently good.
Here is a list of some of the Waltermires living in the Forest area at the time of the 1880 census.
The Waltermire home was located on the east side of Forest near Lima street. Samuel Wesley Waltermire was the proprietor of the Waltermire merchantile. He is shown in the merchantile in this photograph with a shop helper (far left). Sam was the great-great-grandfather of Virginia Motter. The individual with Waltermire is assumed to be working for the store since he was behind the counter. He may have be Samuel's nephew, Beecher W. Waltermire, of Missouri. Beecher was born in 1845 and was in Forest at one time.
Tom Jones was the proprietor of Jones Hardware on Lima street. This photograph depicts how the inside of the store looked around 1900. He had quite an extensive antique gun collection which he bequeathed to the Forest-Area Historical Society, Forest, Hardin Co., Ohio in 1998. The collection is on display at the Hardin County Museum, Kenton, Ohio.
A road crew working in front of Mapletoft's, possibly paving Lima street, as part of the road is smooth. It's dirt so the date of the photograph is pre-1895 presumably. The individuals in the photograph have not been identified. The building at the far right was later the Grey-White building and currently Martin's filling station and market.
There must have been some pretty grandiose ideas floating around Forest once. John Pfeiffer's garage was located in a shed built between two buildings on the south side of Lima street. His Ford ' automobile manufacturing company was at the west end of Lima street. Besides manufacturing automobiles he sold Indian' motorcycles. There are several models of the motorcycle in the photograph at the lower left. Located on the walls in the photograph are placards promoting Miller' tires.
John Pfeiffer was in the automobile business with a Mr. Sutton. To the right is an image of the letterhead which Pfeiffer & Sutton used to advertise their business. The period that they were in business is unknown. Nothing resembling the structure in the letterhead was ever built in Forest. The plant depicted is probably the Ford ' plant in Detroit, Michigan. The enhanced close-up below right shows several of the unidentified workers inside the Pfeiffer establishment. The date is unknown, but it for surely, c1912. The photograph could be either the Pfeiffer or Pfeiffer & Sutton garage.
An ad from a 1910 Forest-Advertiser supplement indicated that the Ford' automobile was a winner in the Munsey and the New York to Seattle races. It also indicated a race from Philadelphia to Seattle which passed thru Forest. John Pfeiffer ran the advertisement in December, 1910. ?John Pfeiffer and Emmett Lehman (left) are seen driving a car similar to the one advertised. They drove around Forest advertising Pfeiffer's cars. The other individual in the photograph is unknown.
Sometime in 1927 Joe Shields was photographed on the running board of his family automobile. Was it purchased from Pfeiffer Ford?
On September 27, 1915 J.H. Hendricks sent a this colored postcard to his wife complaining about a Springfield, Ohio ticket agent who routed him wrong. He also discusses where he is working. Mr. Hendricks may have been an early salesman of automobiles or parts, either working for the Pfeiffer Co., or possibly the Ford Co. In the far left of the postcard, the building with the "x" (looks like a cross) was Pfeiffer's Forest Car Manufacturing Co. John Pfeiffer manufactured Ford automobiles in the building.
The colored postcard is a good image of the Mapletoft hardware store which was located at the corner of Gormley & Lima streets. West of Mapletoft's was Len Crum's restaurant. The photograph on the left is a cut-out of another postcard from the same period, but postmarked October 10, 1910. On the right was Mapletoft hardware. Next to it was Crum's restaurant & bakery. There are two balconies visible at the left end of the photograph. The viewer might notice that in the colored postcard there was a third balcony attached to the building housing the Mapletoft hardware store at about the center of the photograph. It is not present in this photograph. That balcony may have been attached sometime after 1910.
This photograph is an image of Lima Street in 1912. Mapletoft's Hardware was located where the two cars are parked (background center) in the photograph Pfeiffer's Location.
The north side of Lima street is at the left. Starting from the north side (far left) there was; Jaquith's variety store, the __ store, The Star Theatre, the __ store, Whitey Hafer's barber shop, Clinger & Meeks cream station, and an alley.
Then the First National bank, the Red & White grocery store, the Kroger grocery store, Dale Shields drug store, Ray Hempy hardware store, Len Crum's restaurant & bakery, and William Mapletoft's hardware. Then followed Gormley street and the Gray-White Poultry Co.
On the south side (from the middle to the right of the photograph) was eventually Roy Snider's restaurant, but the name in 1912 is unknown, and Hallie Forest Shields' drug store. Hallie was the brother of Hallie Dale Shields who operated a drug store on the other side of the street during the same period. That store is not visible.