Gottlieb Ash was born in Berne, Switzerland, January 8, 1848. He came to Forest in 1868 and in 1872 engaged in the manufacture of brick and tile. He was succeeded in this business by his brother Peter. He then engaged in the handle business at West Manfield and Farmland, Indiana. he was in Indiana 12 years. He married Louisa Schoenberger. He later bought the Forest Flouring Mill interest of Henry Merchantell & Douglas, the firm name being changed to Douglas & Ash. When Douglas died in 1900 Ash bought his interests and from that time the firm's name was G. Ash & Son. He died in January, 1916. At the time he had been living in Ada for 10 years. He was buried in Ada cemetery.
The first newspaper published in Forest was the Forest News, published on August 6, 1875. J.J. Wilkins was the editor and publisher. The mayor was S. Fasic, the recorder, W.J. Rummell, the treasurer, John Heffernan, and the marshal, John Monk. The leading business men at the time were L. Merriman & Co., R.S. Wilson & Son, R.C. Wiley, W. McKean, C.W. Wikoff, J.S. hales, Wilkins & Stockton, Thomas Williams, J.T. Mabbey & Alex Hanna, S.D. Noel, Stockton & Cook, and Alex Shoemaker.
Benjamin McCloskey was in the harness business in the 1870s and sold harnesses to the Briggs and Higgins families, and to Thomas Hueston. He was good friends with I.N. Wright and S. Ropp and was a 20-year subscriber to the Forest Review by 1907. At the time he was living in Labelle, Missouri.
DEAR SIR:—We arrived here O.K. and are all well. We are in the oil field, about six miles from the city of Bakersfield. This is a great field—more than a thousand derricks, and all of them seem to be pumping oil, and everybody es at work. Dr. Rogers has ajob and has gone to work.
This is just one high sand hill after another, just up and down all the time. Nothing growing now only on irrigated ground. No rain now, nor will there be fore two months yet. The hot season is about over and the nights are just fine. We are anxious to hear from Forest. Please hurry the ADVERTISER and obligue,
J.S. Snow established a Bakery & Eating room in August, 1877 where by he was able to dish up ice cream by August 16th. Around the same time Sam Battenfield, known as "Uncle Sam," was a salesman for Stockton & Cook. Sam later moved to Henry county. The previous week Dr. Gemmill was leaving the residence of Henry Webb in the company of his wife when a spindle on one of his wheels broke, scaring the horse, and ejecting them from their buggy. And that same week, Levi Young's hand was caught in a wheel cog crushing it.
W.R.H. Sulliger was a druggist and pharmist at No. 2, Odd Fellows Block. One story about Sulliger began when when Harry Gridley, a young man about 20 from Patterson, presented a dollar bill to the agent at Patterson for a ticket to Forest. Not able to pay for a ticket costing over a dollar, he promised the agent to pay the extra change the next day and went to Forest. When there he looked up the druggist, W.R.H. Sulliger. He asked for 25¢ worth of quinine, but got morphine instead. Sulliger proposed a trade, but Gridley refused and left. The following morning Gridley was found dead in his bed, the death caused by the morphine. Twice previous Gridley had tried to end his life, once with strychnine and another with a knife. Another story is that Sulliger purchased old relics and was particularly interested in the weapons used by Col. Crawford.
P.R. Moore had a Wagon & Carrriage Shop in Forest in 1878. It was located on the corner of Lima and Martin streets. There were four rooms; the first a blacksmith, the second a woodwork shop run by W.H. Harman, the third on the second floor front was a sample room, and fourth on the second floor rear was a paint shop.
Stockton & Cook operated a store in the village but the type of merchandise sold in the store has not been determined. Henry Merchantell attended a Grain Dealers Convention of Allen Co. during the week of August 18, 1883. At the time Mr. Merchantell was serving on the Rules committee. Henry was married to Sabina Merchantell who may have been previously married as she was listed as his step-daughter on the 1900 census. Her name was, Francis Elberson and she was born in Ohio in March, 1859. Sabina was born in Germany in June, 1834. Henry was also born in Germany but his birthdate is unknown. He was listed on the 1900 census as a miller.
The Reverand Joseph D. Simms was the Methodist preacher for Forest in 1887. In 1886 he authored, Soul-Saving or Life and Labors of Henry M. Wills, Evangelist and Missionary, Emb... It was received at the Library of Congress in Washington at the time he was preaching in Forest. Earlier he was pastor of Hicksville's M.E. church in Defiance county. He officiated at the wedding of Charles R. Shepherd (Springfield, OH) and Carrie Timmons (Patterson, OH) in Patterson on Wednesday November 16, 1887. Shepherd was an advertising solicitor for the Daily Repuplic in Springfield at the time.
In 1880-81, D.O. Young was the manager of the Scott House, a local hotel. In May, 1881 he moved to the Pierson House in Upper Sandusky. Edward Gilson (b. Apr 1858, WI) and his wife, Cora H. Gilson (b. Nov 1862, OH), also cared for an orphan, Charles Taylor (b. Apr 1881, OH)." Edward D. Gilson, a shoe merchant operated in the Dixon Block. He had been in the flour and feed trade at one time. He exchanged with Mr. Gilbert for the business known as the St. Louis Bargain House which sold boots and shoes.
Clark Green and his crew are seen in photograph
In October, 1890 forty-two tubes were taken out, cleaned, and replaced in the large boilers of the Forest City Flouring Mills. The repairs were made by C.H. Smith of the Smith & Company Iron Works in Kenton.
Samuel Lehman was a butcher living in or near Vanlue, Ohio in 1890. He came regularly to Forest to sell and take orders. Born at Lancaster, Pennsylvania, on August 29, 1832 he married Lydia Ann Dupler on January 29, 1856. Originally from Bainbridge, Canoy Twp., Pennsylvania Samuel had begun life as a farmer. The family were Pennsylvania Dutch who spoke high German, but by 1880 they were in Vanlue, Ohio where Samuel worked as a butcher. He died September 17, 1900 and was buried in Grove cemetery, Cary, Ohio.
Dr. W.J. Crampton, a dentist, maintained his office over the Pifer Bros store.
The Moore & Co. of Forest sold Sunbeam washing machines. The washing machines were famous. Very little labor was required to do large loads giving the impression that it was the best machine on the market and it would make clothes white while making them clean. The claim was, using a Sunbeam "saved the user time and money" and getting a machine wouldn't be a problem as the Sunbeam was locally manufactured by the Moore & Co.
FOREST CITY MILLS
Feb. 9th, 1891
Mr. H. Merchantell, please pay to John Miller the sum of five dollars, $5. He got word his father was sick, and I had no money by me, so you pay him and I will call an dsettle tomorrow, and oblige.
On Monday, February 8, 1891 a young man went to the Flouring Mill and presented an "Order" from
The following were also operating in Forest in 1891: Forest Flouring Mill, Dupree & Bowman, Pifer Bros., Campbell & Wikoff, S.M. Lehman (butcher), C.R. Warwick, C.E. Phillips, D.R. Wise, Morris Meyer, J.W. Young (hardware merchant), T.M. Young (hardware merchant), W. McKean, Dull & Chase grocery, W.F. Pierce, Z.T. Gilbert, J.F. Nye, D.L. Rummell, R. Price, F. Lansdown, J. Crampton, M.E. Cellar, H.F. Schott, W.H. Stoddard, M.W. Gage, C.A. Mettler, J.L. McKean, Peter J. Spracklen, Hugh B. Caughey, Samuel W. Waltermire (merchant), Edward T. Sipes, W.P. Mapletoft (hardware merchant), B.J. Woodard, D.L. Harmon, J.C. Garver, Rhodes-Dickelman, H. Muchelnous, George W. Nelson, Mabbey Bros. S.H. Reilly, Dick Young, John C. Young, Joe Pearson, Eva Dyer, Floyd F. Swimley, and Denice Asire.
Floyd F. Swimley or William A. Swimley, or both, may have operated a drug store in 1891. They were listed as physicians on the 1900 U.S. census. Wilson McKean operated a furniture store and was an undertaker. His wife was A. Mary McKean and his daughter, Bertie M. McKean.
Dull & Chase operated a grocery store. Hawk operated a poultry business. S.H. Wess sold eggs. Mrs. C.A. Mettler sold baby products. Frank Lansdown (b. Nov 1865, OH) was the town barber. His wife was Florna L. Lansdown and his children were; Max F., Fred H., and Forrest C.
J.L. McKean was a tailor who sold clothes. Morris Meyer, T.M. Young , and Dr. __ Crampton helped to organize a base ball club named the Winners. Dr. Crampton had earlier played in the Canadian League. The Dupee & Bowman company operated a hardware store. Stoddard ran a feed store.
The Rhodes, Dickelman & Co. operated a manfacturing plant. Ed Detray worked for them. H. Merchantell was the proprietor of the Forest City Mills. Their product was feed, corn meal and flour. W.F. Pierce & Son operated a grocery. D.L. Harmon operated a restaurant by the Big Four railroad. When he had some trouble with burglary he worked with the marshal, B.F. McGinnis, to set a trap which led to a hearing with Mayor B.F. Paul and a stay in the Kenton jail for Elmer Thrush. Mr. C.R. Warwick, the merchant tailor, operated in the Hale & Burkey block. He would make pants for $3.50 and $4.00. He claimed to be the best pants maker in the county. The Scott House was the local hotel. It was located on the northeast corner of the crossing of the Mad River & Big Four railroads. It is believed that the crossing was the first of its kind in America. This has yet to be proven.
Our Forest City Flouring Mill is turning out some of the best flour it has since its location here. this week more new reparis are being put in. large quantities of flour is shipped to this market that rightfully belongs to our home trade, and people who used to wish for a mill to locate here now turn their trade in other directions. Is this right?
Henry Rothrock was the agent of the Adams Express Co. in 1891. By 1900 he was working in hardware. His wife was Ella L. Rothrock and his children; Elta G. Rothrock, Fern S. Rothrock, Florence E. Rothrock, Clifford Rothrock, Harry A. Rothrock, and Bertha M. Rothrock.
The new six-roller corn meal and fee mill, recently added to the Forest City Flouring Mills, has now been running for over a week and gives the best of satisfaction. Everybody wanting meal or chop feed can now be accommodated with the best than can be made.
Forest Flouring Mills
Merchantell & Douglas
Have the pure Buckwheat Flour, and the best granulated Meat, made from new corn, and reocmmends itself when used once. Our Flour is gueaanteed the best in the market. It has all the good qualities combined, and quality also. Give the new firm a trial.
In June, 1892 W.P. Bowman and Ed. Gilson put up new awnings on the fronts of their respective stores in Forest. A.N. Mick's grocery was paying 14 cents a dozen for eggs. He was located on the north side of West Lima street. During that year, C.A. Mettler, was selling buggy, surrey, and road wagons. Wagon smithing and blacksmithing at the time was almost identical with the methods used in the trade 300 years earlier.
The Forest City Mills' corn-sheller is working nicely. No charge for a bushel of meal for a bushel of corn in the ear.
Born in Ohio in December, 1854, Lester H. Caughey, a druggist from Deshler, Henry county, Ohio purchased a jewelry merchandise firm from the Caughey, McClurg & Co. of Forest. He later expanded the stock to include furniture. In 1909 an advertisement indicates a goodly stock of furniture and household items. Lester was married to Miss Ruelma Dull, in 1878. Ruelma was born in October of 1854 in Ohio and had a brother named, Alvin G. Dull, who was a saw mill engineer. A sister, L. Dull, was a teacher in Henry county. Lester and Ruelma had a daughter, E. Vere Caughey, who was born in April, 1892.
The Forest City Mills had a "free use" corn sheller.
Edwin N. Howe operated a photography business. And he seemed to have a wit. Here is one advertisement he used in December. On the left is the ad as it originally ran and one the right turned 180` so it can be read. E.N. Howe had two U.S. Patents in his name for 1890
The invention for photographs ". . . relates to certain new and useful imporvements pertaining to photography; and it has for its object the production of an imporved photographic printing film for printing the backgrounds, the novelty residing in the peculiarities of construction and the combinations, arrangements and adaption of parts, all as more fully herinafter described, shown in the drawings, and then particularly pointed out in the appended claims. The other patent to which quot;invention relates to certain new and useful improvements pertaining to photography; and it has for its object to provide a changeable background for employment in taking photographs. The novelty resides in the peculiar construction or formation of a band, which is preferabley mounted upon rollers in a frame and so arranged as to be readily changed to alter the character of the background to conform to the wishes of the party whose picture is to be taken."
The roof over the brick kiln of the Forest Clay Works caught fire on September 15, 1905. Superintendent Fred O'Brien and John Rall were present. The fire was too warm, and the roof, dried out an inflammable, was instantly in a blaze. Both men work to extinguish the fire only after a 16-foot square had been consumed.
At the same time completed concrete work on the floor of the engine house was accepted and paid. Also the People's Telephone Co. granted the village use of telephone company poles and the telephone exchange for a new fire alarm system free of charge. After that the operator would sound the alarm for fires, giving the district where the fire was occurring.
The livery barn of Simpson & Zimmerman was wired for and lighted by electricty in May, 1906. In October, John Zimmerman bought out half of the Lehman & Zimmerman Meat Market. He remained in the same location, but operating under the name, John Zimmerman.
The Forest Review, Forest Ohio
We wish to announce thru your comumns that we have made arrangement to take possesion of the Forest Creamery the first of May and will begin the market for all cream and milk that we can get. As to prices of same, we guarantee our prices to net you as much as Chicago or any one else in busness. We will pay cash for cream twice per month. Geo. O'Brien will ahve charge of the Forest creamery and we expect to begin operation the 1st of May.
American Farm Products Co.
Alfred G. Wessling, mgr.
General Offices 25 Broad St., N.Y.,
and Ry. Exchange bldg. Chicago, Ill.
Samuel Ash narrowly escaped an accidental death at the Forest Creamery on July 17, 1907 when he almost drank strong sulphuric acid in a container thinking it was water. Having already had some in his mouth George O'Brien "stayed his hand" keeping him from drinking more of the liquid. The container was clearly labeled and quite dusty, but Ash picked it up and began drinking anyway. His lips and tongue were burned and some had gone down his throat so he was given a quart of cream as an antidote.
When A.E. Mann's Furniture Store vacated the McKean room in July, 1908 a new floor was put in place for the Forest Cigar Company was moving into the room. The old location of the Forest Cigar Co. would be used for the new Hygienic Scrap industry. Mayor Vaughn stated that the McKean room would be occupied by August 1 if at all possible. It was said that the leasing of the McKean room to the Forest Cigar Co. was a means of keeping a new grocery out of town.
In the c1910 photograph of
George W. Hempy went into the undertaking business with his father-in-law, Wilson McKean, in 1910. McKean died in 1912 and Hempy carried on the business. Joseph W. Shields purchased George W. Hempy's undertaking business in May, 1939 and was then after known as the Shields Funeral Home.
The O'Brien & Liles circus minstael and all 'round show did a big business on Patterson strest [sic] last week. To show that they know the eternal fitness of things they advertise "Admission One Cent, pay in advance."
Emmett Glenn Lehman is riding while John Pfeiffer drives in an early
Early car buffs of Forest and the surrounding community show off their automobiles at the John
Pfeiffer & Son where they made automobiles and buggies was located on the north side of W. Lima street, Forest. These photographs were taken sometime between 1910 and 1912. Emmett Glenn Lehman can be seen sitting in one of the cars.
The garage was later Ford assembly plant according to, Betty (Thompson) Miller, and the upper floor stored parts which were assembled on the lower floor. There was a fire at some period which caused some destruction requiring the upper floor to be removed. Currently it is vacant. The building stands just west of the Forest-Jackson library on the north side of Lima street.
William B. Price owned a Ford garage in the early twentieth century.
On September 27, 1915 J.H.Hendryx wrote a picture postcard
In 1919 the Forest Review had a write-up about the following businesses:
In February 1927, Mrs. Barrick wrote to Mrs. E. Williams in Tiffin. On the front of the postcard
Among the advertisers who advertised in the July 10, 1930 issue of the Forest Review were:
On September 1, 1931 the coal yards on Lima street and west of the Big Four was turned over to the Wilson & Turner Coal Co. United Grain and Coal Company were the previous owners. In October Levi Young acted as Marshal and Street Commissioner during the absence of Marshal Gemmill's leave. And in November he was elected to the position of Constable, beating out Joe Rudolph.
IN WAR ON TYPHOID
Hardin County Health Commissioner Continues Effort To Check Disease.
Special to the Star
KENTON, O., Aug 28` Health Commissioner, J.H. Holcomb of Hepburn today closed a bathing pool in Gormley park at Forest after receiving a report from the state department of health that an analysis of the water in the pool had disclosed it to be "unsatisfactory" for bathing. The water contained typhoid fever germs, Dr. Holcomb was quated as saying.
. . .
Lincoln Lodge Jaquith, 18, of Forest, the other victim, had bathed in the pool in Gormley park, Dr. Holcomb said.
Four Typhoid fever cases have been reported from Forest.
KENTON, Aug. 29. Hardin county health authorities closed the Gormley park swimming pool at Forest, near here, in an effort to prevent a threatened typhoid fever epidemic which has caused two deaths. four cases of typhoid have been reported in Forest and four in Kenton.
The Forest City Roller Mills became the property of Poling Bros, in August, 1937. S.H. & W.O. Poling were established in Forest in 1873. In 1875 Henry Merchantell became the owner and in 1881 needed to add on and make alterations.
Did the Hempy Garage sell Sampson Tractors? The tractors can be seen in the undated photograph of the
COLUMBUS, O., Dec. 17 (UP) The State Supreme court today denied review of a judgment [sic] of the Third District Appeals court against Ray O. Hempy in favor of the McCaskey Register Co. The court of appeals had reversed a Hardin-co common pleas court decision in favor of Hempy in a transaction involving exchange of business machinery, and granted a judgement of $136 to the register company.
In 1937 Ray O. Hempy sold, Fence ... Harness ... Wall Paper ... Radios and Supplies ... Farm Equipment ... Electric ... and Gas Refrigerators ... Stoves ... Ranges ... Floor Covering ... Welding and McCormick Deering Farm Equipment , and had been in business since 1912. And Leo T. Jones, owner & manager, of the Star Theatre in Forest, constructed a New Star Theatre in Upper Sandusky at a cost of $65,000, giving Wyandot County a New, Modern, Cooled and Air Conditioned Theatre which opened on March 6, 1937. Ray O. Hempy made a Real Estate transfer from Inland Rubber Corp. in 1959 for lot 9967 and part lot 9968.
When Levi Young died in December, 1938 he was the Superintendent of the village water works. After his death he still made news in Forest when his house burned in April, 1939. It was the 100th fire since the organization of the fire company at that time. And in 1940 his widow, Clare A. Young, filed for the state workmen's compensation fund against the Industrial Commission of Ohio charging that Levi died as a result of a fall from a barrel while in the employ of the Forest water works department suffering a broken rib and internal injuries which directly caused his death.
Hamilton Motor Sales operated at the west end of Lima street, west of the New York Central railroad, in Forest in 1940. Though the war in europe had begun Chevrolet sold over a million cars that year.
United Aircraft produced a map of Forest in 1950. Listed on the map were