Search billions of records on

Scott House Hotel.
The Scott House sat at the junction of the west bound C.C.C.&St.L. and the Big Four railroads. At one time it was operated by a Mr. Webb.

cott House.

The Scott House was a three story frame hotel with a basement. It was 50 feet in width and 130 feet in length. It was partly surrounded by a veranda and was situated at the crossing of the Big Four and the P.Ft.W.&C. railroads. The Big Four had a ticket office inside. Purchased in 1876 for $10,000 it was rented annually for $1,800. The Scott House was named after Mr. Thos. A. Scott, the famous president of the P.F.W.&C. railroad. In 1857 it was operated by Messrs. Sapp & Whitney and was better known as the Senate House. It was later operated by a a man named Webb.

The Scott House sat at the junction of the east-west Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway and the north-south Big Four R.R. The Scott House received a new desk on the 15th of October, 1877. William Fish and the Fish & Bros. placed the desk in the Scott House office. The desk was about nine feet long and three feet wide with the upper part containing nineteen very fine cards of the different business firms of Forest.

On September 27, 1877 Rev. T.J. Cellar married Bion H. McLaughlin, of Hardin Co. to Miss Kate Burvis, of Wyandot Co. in the Scott House. In 1890 the Village council ordered a sidewalk placed on the west and south side of the Scott House lot. Inside was a restaurant, but no information about the restaurant is available. Outside there was a restaurant or cafe called the Farmers' Home which was situated just south of the Scott House.

April, 1878 found the Scott House under new ownership. Messrs. Young & Co. of Mt. Gilead took ownership on April 10, 1878. __ Shafer had been the previous owner. There was a fence surrounding the Scott House. Damage to it was repaired in May, 1878. Other improvements to the Scott House were performed during the same period.

A person could get books, papers, and stationery at the barber shop in the Scott House in 1877. J.W. Dirst was the dealer who operated a "Circulating Library." And a very small man, Capt. Ebb, stopped at the Scott House in 1877. He was only 40 years old and weighed only 80 pounds. Dr. Jas Huston of Dunkirk conducted his dental practice either at the Scott House or at Dr. Stansell's office every Tuesday. Even newlyweds were found to use the Scott House; once when a couple sitting on the steps the wife in the lap of her new husband caused such a row that the proprietor was requested to "order them up" where upon they went home with a predictable bright future.

Robert Bailey who had run the Palmer House in Chicago took charge of the Scott House dining rooms in 1878.

During the early 1890s and probably before there were "heel and toe" parties held in the Scott House. Business men seemed to use the Scott House when putting on exhibitions. One such was when Struble & Lindesmith had an exhibition displaying a machine or burner for heating stoves with coal oil. Mark Phillips ran a saloon under the Scott House in 1891. On January 18, 1892 he closed the saloon and departed for places unknown. In February, 1892 T.J. Woodside, landlord of the Scott House, was down with "la grippe." At the same time Joseph Dickleman received a letter indicating that Nettie Dickleman was down with la grippe at Adrain, MI.

The Scott House burned in 1892. At the time Mary J. Shafer owned the building. It was occupied by T.J. Woodside. There were few guests at the time of the fire. Most guests present at the time lost nothing to the fire. Not so the Woodsides, they lost everything including their son, Moses. Robert Walker, of Patterson, was also a guest at the time of the fire. The light of the fire was seen at a distance of thirty miles away and drew many country people to town. Near the Scott House and owned by Shafer was a saloon and restaurant occupied by David Harman. It also was doomed by the fire. Soon after the fire one of Dr. Swimley's boys had a narrow escapt from being drowned by falling in a well near the Scott House.

Fire! Fire!

Two Destructive Conflagrations within Twenty-four Hours!

Mr. C.A. Metler's Residence, Carriage & Blacksmith Shop & Contents consumed! The Old Hotel The Scott House, and Adjoining Building, Wiped out of Existence!

Moses Woodside, (about 21, a son of T.J. Woodside.) Killed and Others Injured!

Forest, Ohio, Feb. 28— The Scott House, a large hotel here, was totally destroyed by fire this morning and a life lost. A small building adjoining the hotel was also burned to the ground. The fire occurred about 3 o'clock. The engineer of a P.F.W.&C. freight train discovered the fire and aroused the town by blowing his whistle. The entire building WAS SOON IN FLAMES, but all of the fifteen guests escaped uninjured. Falling of the walls, however, caught the son of the proprietor of the hotel, Moses Woodside, and he was burned in the building. The hotel structure being old and a veritable shell, burned like a tinder. Contents of both the buildings were saved, and the loss will not exceed $15,000. There was no insurance! The origin of the fire is unknown.

A traveler, who arrived late a few nights ago at the Scott House in Forest, Ohio, gave to Henry Friend, night clerk, a package containing $250 to keep until morning. Friend kept it and left town with it next morning before the traveler was awak. [sic]

One Man Killed and Another Badly Injured.

FOREST, O., Feb. 29.— The Scott House and restaurant and a saloon thirty feet distant, burned at 3 a.m. Saturday. Cause, defective flue. Loss $10,000; no insurance. A favorable wind only prevented a heavy loss.

There were a dozen or more guests in the hotel at the time of the discovery of the fire, and a wild scene of confusion ensued. They all succeeded in making their escape.

Moses Woodside, a young son of the proprietor of the hotel, while endeavoring to save some of this effects, was buried beneath falling timbers and burned beyond recognition.

O.M. Anderson, was also struck by falling timbers and badly injured, narrowly escaping death.

W.L. Woodside had removed here from Bucyrus last fall.


In the Burning of a Hotel at Forest The Scott House Burned at an Early Hour This Morning and the Son of the Proprietor Killed.The basement of the Scott House was flooded with 6" of water in August, 1878.


Since the Scott House fire, Win. Young is known as Rescue No. 2, Mrs. Thomp. Moore, who recently fell and hurt herself, is about again.

The Scott House referred to in the dispatches, was located at the crossing of the Big Four and the P.F.W.&C. roads, and was a part of the building formerly used as a waiting room and depot for the former road. It was a large two story building, and years ago was the headquarters of a notorious gang of confidence men and crooks, and many a crime can be traced to beneath its roof.

After the fire D.L. Harmon leased a portion of the Scott House lot and put up a building 18x50 feet for restaurant purposes.


In 1880-81 D.O. Young was the manager of the Scott House.

Who's garage?

empy Garage.

The Hempy Garage sold Sampson Tractors are displayed in this undated photograph (Who's garage?).

COLUMBUS, O., Dec. 17 (UP) The State Supreme court today denied review of a judgment [sic] of the Third District Appeals court against Ray O. Hempy in favor of the McCaskey Register Co. The court of appeals had reversed a Hardin-co common pleas court decision in favor of Hempy in a transaction involving exchange of business machinery, and granted a judgement of $136 to the register company.

Ray O. Hempy made a Real Estate transfer from Inland Rubber Corp. in 1959 for lot 9967 and part lot 9968.

afer Barber Shop.


The Village Barber Shop was owned by George "Whitey" Hafer. He is seen in this photograph painting the outside of the shop. Whitey and his wife, Mary, lived on Martin street in Forest. He had two brothers, Harry and Will.

Hafer Barber Shop. Whitey Hafer is painting his barber shop.

Whitey's was located on the north side of west Lima street at the site of the current post office (c2002). It was later owned and operated by barber George Buxton. At one time, Lulu Jacquith operated the Jacquith millinery shop at this location.

The sign written on the window indicates either that, the millinery shop had closed at this location and moved across to the south side of Lima street or that Whitey had set up a temporary barber shop across the street.

Price "Ford" workers

rice Garage.


Price & Hune

William B. Price owned a Ford garage in the early twentieth century. This photograph was probably taken around that time. There are no notations on the photograph and none of the seven girls have been identified.

At the time of the Price & Hune advertisement Price was in business with Hune, but more information is unknown.

City drug store

ity Drug Store.

Halbert Dale Shields, better known as H. Dale Shields, was the proprietor of the City drug store. Next to his store was Fout's market. The market is visible in the left photograph with its striped awning. Next to Fout's market was the Hardin Co. Banking Company. The two letters, " BA are for that bank.

Hallie Forest Shields, brother of Hallie, also was a druggist in Forest. The store was in the I.O.O.F. building at the southwest corner of Gormley & Lima streets.

The small white area near the center of the photograph is the sign for C.M. Riegle. The windows to each side of the C.M. Riegle sign opened on the law office of Charles M. Riegle. He practiced law in Forest until the 1920s.

Crum's restaurant & bake shop. Len Crum, proprietor.

rum's Restaurant.

Len Crum's Restaurant & Bake Shop sat on the north side of Lima street between Ray Hempy's hardware on the west and William Mapletoft's hardware on the east.

The photograph shows the the new Boyd drug store at its new location on the south side of west Lima street. It was formerly Harris furniture, then Lutz variety, and finally Glenn March's Forest Variety before becoming the new Boyd drug store.

This photograph shows the old Boyd drug store and was taken facing north on west Lima street. The store located on the north side of west Lima street. Just east was the Hempy hardware store. Parked in front of the hardware is a 1946 Chevrolet coupe and in front of the coupe is a 1950 Chevrolet sedan. At one time Forest was packed with automobile traffic.
Zimmerman funeral home
Zimmerman Dentist Office. Photograph taken at the time of the Grand Opening of the Boyd Drug store in 1954.
Dick Boyd & Reva Stauffer were photographed standing in front of the new drug store located on the south side of W. Lima street.

immerman Funeral Home.

To the left of Boyd's drugs was Zimmerman's dentist office. In the 1930s it had operated as the Keiper funeral home. It is still located on the south side of Lima street, but no longer operates as a business. The Boyd drug store was later the Style shop. Dick Boyd and Reva Stauffer can be seen standing in front of the new Boyd drug store in one photograph.

Village Inn fire destruction.

illage Inn.

The Village Inn restaurant was located on the southeast corner of Lima and Patterson streets. It sat at the location that is now the Tree Town Inn restaurant parking lot. This is a photograph of the Village Inn's Grand Opening," after the new addition was completed. Cynthia Elizabeth (Sapp) Wright worked as a waitress for the Village Inn restaurant for about 10 years.

"New" Village Inn Exterior

To see a black & white aerial view showing the Village Inn click here. There is also a color photograph here. If you came from the aerial view and want to return, click here

Village Inn booths. The Village Inn Restaurant was located on the southeast corner of Lima and Patterson streets.
Village Inn dining area. The photographs was taken sometime in 1955, shortly after its renovation was completed.

The Village Inn booths" photograph displays the new booths in the restaruant. The music box in the doorway was capable of playing two-hundred different tunes. Orlan Hankins known to everyone as "Tubby," is believed to be the individual sitting at the far end of the Village Inn counter" photograph. The other individuals in the photograph are unknown.

Village Inn counter. Orlan Tubby Hankins (FHS 1945) is the only individual known.

Included to the addition to the Village Inn on Lima street shows the dining tables and chairs. The photograph definitely portrayed the new and clean look of the restaurant.

Kroger Grocery, Mary Naus, Mgr.

Tubby was in the 1945 graduating class at Forest. The photographs were taken sometime during 1955, shortly after the addition to the Village Inn was completed.

Kroger worker (manager?)

roger Grocery.

Kroger Grocery and Baking Company started its business in 1883 in Cincinnati. The history of the grocery's operations in Forest is fragmented. One store manager was Mary Naus who managed in the 1930s. Leonard C. Harman was the manager in 1927. Another, Paul Anspach, was a manager in 1949 and served on the Forest Jackson school board the same year. Later, Ralph Balmer was a manager. Ralph was a music teacher for Forest Jackson schools in 1949.

The photograph of the Kroger worker" is an unknown, but he was probably not a manager. His name and the date of the photograph are unknown.

Inside the Kroger

The photograph Inside the Kroger shows an individual in the background who resembles L.C. Harman. Leonard Harman was hurt by flying bricks during the Dickelman fire on July 27, 1927. By 1933, Harman was the grocery's manager. Assuming he is Leonard and the photograph was taken after 1933, then he is the individual in the rear of the store. Check out the prices. Wouldn't we all want to be paying them today.

Kroger Grocery. The Forest Kroger was located where the original Forest-Jackson Library had been before the library moved to the Freight House.

The date when the Kroger grocery closed is unknown. The Society would like to know any information you may have about the Kroger operation in Forest and Dunkirk. If you have any information about the Forest or Dunkirk Kroger stores, please contact the Society at the email link above.

Minnie Young and Mary Naus (grand-daughter) in the 1930s. Mary was a manager for Kroger at the time.

The photograph of Mary Naus with her grandmother, Minnie Young was taken at the time that Mary was managing in the 1930s. The photograph to the left is of Mary Naus when she was the manager of Kroger in Dunkirk.

Farmers Institute display

The photograph to the left shows a setup of some Forest family products. It looks to be a fall window setup, maybe during the time of a Farmers Institute meeting. Samuel G. Liles and his son were Issah R. Liles farmers about 2 miles east of Forest in Jackson Township. Samuel was married to Mary. He was born around 1844; she around 1845. Their son was 24 in 1910. There is no date on this photograph. The exhibit probably set up for the Farmers Institute which used to meet in Forest. Samuel Liles served in the Union Army during the Civil War. He enlisted as a S ergeant 1st Class on September 26, 1964. At the time he was 21. He was with Co. K, 180th Infantry Regiment, Ohio Volunteers later that year. On the 4th of July, 1865 he was promoted to Full Lieutenant 2nd Class. He mustered out of Co. K, on July 12, 1865 in Charlotte, N.C.

ick Grocery.

In front of the Mick Grocery are A.N. Mick and W.B. Price.
Surprise Dinner

Adam Newton "Newt" Mick is seen on the left with William B. Price, in the front of the Mick grocery on the north side of Lima street in Forest.

This is a Mick & Edwards Advertisement. On February 11, 1921 Newt was given a surprise birthday dinner party by his wife and sons Darrell and Harry on the occassion of his 68 th birthday.

William Price's father, Russell Price, the son of Henry and Eloisa (Corey) Price lived in Patterson when he married Addie Backus on June 22, 1876 and immediately thereafter moved to Forest. William had two brothers, Harry B. and Charles R. Price. They were all born in Forest. At the time of their father's death, William Price was an attorney living in Forest, Charles Price an attorney living in Kenton, and Harry living in New York City.

Change Hands

The Mick & Edwards store sold clothing. There isn't a record that the store existed other than this December 1, 1910 advertisement which ran on page eight of The Forest Advertiser. Was this an A.N. Mick establishment?

Mick and Edwards

March 22, 1921 the A.N. Mick grocery was sold and all stock invoiced to the new proprietor, Chas. Kachley of Galion, Ohio. Charles Kachley had worked in his father's grocery at Galion. He expected high results and they must have been because the Kachley grocery operated many, many years in Forest.