John Higgins was the son of William Higgins and Mary Ann (Tressel) Higgins. He was married to Nancy N. Higgins. John and Nancy had at least four children; Willis Higgins, Hattie Higgins, Ella Higgins, and Emma Higgins.
John died on his farm on May 20, 1928. His death was attributed to senility. The John Higgins' home was located 3.5 miles west of Forest on CR20 near CR175. The Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, & St. Louis (Pennsylvania) railroad ran east and west a quarter of a mile or so south of the home. A cyclone also passed over the Higgins farm on the night of May 14, 1886 causing extensive damage.
In the photograph (above), John & Nancy are on their front porch. The other individual in the photograph may be one of their three daughters, but that fact has not been verified. On the left is a close-up of the photograph.
The Higgins' barn (left) stood on the south side of CR20 about a quarter of a mile west of the Hueston cemetery. The Higgins or Elm Grove school stood near the barn but on the north side of the road. Also known as the "Higgins" school due to its location on the William Higgins farm in section 2 of Jackson township. The school was not used after 1919. This farm was inherited by William Higgins granddaughter, Eba (Higgins) Smith. The individuals standing on the stoop are unknown.
William Higgins is shown on his farm (left) with Benjamin Franklin "Pete" Briggs. William raised hogs on his farm. The other individuals in the photogaph are unknown.
Written on the back by Elmer L. Flowers in August, 1958, "Old Oats farm before house Burnt down." Below are close-ups of the three buggies found in the "Oats barn" photograph. No individuals have been identified.