The earliest information we have about the Corner Market was when G.W. McCleary's Grocery was purchased in 1904 by Paris Dupler Lehman. He opened it as the Corner Market and operated there from 1904 until his death in 1933. After his death it continued as the Corner Market with Dave Lehman and John Rabberman and several others.
The I.G.A. Grocery, the old Corner Market, was captured on 8mm film by Steve Rabberman in 1962.
Steve's father, John Rabberman, had owned and operated the store many years before this photograph was taken. The bay window above the store was an apartment that was occupied for several years by Steve's grandmother, Mabel Rabberman.
Mabel was the wife of Dr. W.H. Rabberman, an early Forest physician, who died in 1932. Mabel died in 1963. The photograph was converted from an 8mm movie by Steve Rabberman that he originally shot in July, 1962. No. 1 is an image of the newspaper clipping which ran in the Forest Review telling of P.D. Lehman's purchase of the old G.W. McCleary grocery.
roger Grocery & Baking Co.
The Kroger Co. started its business in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Kroger grocery's complete operation in Forest is unknown. Leonard C. Harman was the manager in 1927 and Paul Anspach in 1949. Anspach also served on the Forest-Jackson school board. Later, Ralph Balmer was the Kroger manager and in 1949, a music teacher for the Forest-Jackson school system.
The photograph to the left is of someone who worked in the Kroger grocery in the 1930s. It is not Leonard Harman, the Kroger grocery manager, but it was taken at the same time that Harman was manager and Floyd Simpson was the manager of the Red & White grocery next door. Simpson was in the original photograph standing beside this individual. This individual's name and the date of the photograph is not known.
Outside the grocery there was always a place for people to sit and relax. Was this a marketing ploy used by Kroger? And did this make for a more confortable atmosphere inside?
This is the " inside of Kroger's." The shelves were always fully stocked. In the photograph are two individuals. The date and the individuals are unknown. The individual (background center) may be L.C. Harman.
On July 27, 1927 Harman was hurt by flying bricks while helping to put out the Dickelman Mfg. Co. fire. He was the Kroger grocery manager in 1933. The Kroger grocery store was located on the north side of Lima street where the old Forest-Jackson Community Library was before it moved into the Freight House.
.N. Mick Grocery.
The Mick Grocery was located just east of the First National Bank. In the photograph to the right, standing in front of the grocery is A.N. Mick. The woman standing near him in the doorway is unknown, but it may have been his wife. Another photograph of this building can be found here. The three individuals who are standing in front of the bank have never been identified.
The light pole in the right front of the photograph is across the street from the bank and has "Fishburn", et. al. written on its glass. Mark Fishburn's clothing store was located very near where this light pole stood. Above the bank was Dr. J.M. Wynn's office and just east of his office was Charles M. Reigle, Attorney At Law.
irst National Bank.
The First National Bank building (right) was located on Lima Street several doors west of the Kroger Grocery. The photograph was taken of the bank as it looked in 1942. The photograph which was scanned from a postcard of the First National Bank. It was taken at an earlier date. From another view below, "Aerial View of Forests (color)," the bank would be in the right-most building of the four black roofed buildings near the bottom-right side of the photograph.
The Gray-White Co. sold poultry, eggs, and cream. It was located in a two story wooden structure which also had upstairs appartments for rent. Robert Burdett once lived there with his wife. The building has since been torn down and replaced with Martin's Meat Mart. This photograph was taken in 1942. The photograph was taken looking west on Lima street and showing the Gray & White Building on the extreme right. It was located at the northeast corner of Lima and Gormley streets.
The next two photographs (b/w & color below) are aerial views of Forest that were taken by Don Rabberman on April 4, 1964. The plane was traveling in a southwesterly direction at the time of the photograph. The business fronts of those businesses on the south side of Lima street are visible at the bottom of the photograph. The Shell Station near the bottom left of the photograph provided gasoline service the people of Forest. The station looks to be surrounded with traffic so the repair business of the station must have been good. The original station burned in 1946. This is the second station.
ad River R.R.
At the right is an ariel photograph of Forest showing the trackage of the New York Central (NYC) R.R., or Mad River R.R., through Forest. North is actually at the bottom of this photograph. The photographer was looking south. The trackage ran from Wharton in the northeast (bottom right) to Patterson, Grant, and Kenton (southwest) at the top of the photograph.
Mad River street sits east of and parallels the Mad River R.R. track. Patterson street is just east of Mad River street. Patterson street meeets Lima street near the lower right hand corner of the photograph.
From that corner extend your sight along Patterson for one block (the thin road just behind the businnesses is an alley) to the Masonic Temple (circled in both maps).
The Masonic Temple sat on the southeast corner of Dixon & Patterson streets. It was sold to a church group in 2006.
ethodist & Episcopal Church.
From the Temple extend your sight to the east for one block to the Methodist Episcopal church which sits on the southwest corner of Gormley & Dixon streets. One block further east is the Episcopal church. It sits on the southwest corner of Warner & Dixon streets and is still operating.
erlin Howard Elevator.
The first building east of the Mad River track (lower right corner) is Merlin Howard's elevator, then State Route 53 (Mad River street which parallels the Mad River R.R. trackage), then the New Star theater which operated off & on from the 1930s. The elevator is on the extreme right in the photograph below.
tar & New Star Theaters.
The theater operated years earlier as the Star on the north side of Lima street next to a barber shop. When it was moved from the north side to the south side of Lima street, it moved into the old Mick & Cline grocery (arrow in above right aerial) which had been converted into a theater by Leo T. Jones.).
The original location of the Mick & Cline building in the photogrpah to the right was the location of the New Star theater. You have to look closely at the photograph as at a quick glance it seems to be an optical illusion. The original building was razed many years ago and replaced with a much smaller single story building. But, close examination of this photograph shows it was taken during the time the building was used as the movie theater; a movie marquis is attached to the front of the building.
Continuing east across Patterson street was the Village Inn restaurant now torn down and currently serving as the parking lot for the Tree Town Inn restaurant which is located in the old Pfeiffer mens clothing store. Next to Pfeiffer's is Shotts Style Shop, then Wayne Bell's barber shop, and the Odd Fellows building. After the Odd Fellows building there is an alley, then a building which houses Boyds drug store on its east side & the Forest Library on its west side, then the Keiper funeral home which operated in the 1930s, then the Moats hardware store, and then Gormley street.
East from Gormley street is John Rabberman's I.G.A. grocery (originally P.D. Lehman's Corner Market), then the Lois Shop of ladies clothing, then Gier's T.V. & Appliance store, then Basinger's Jewelry & Photography store, then Bob Spencer's International Harvester & Machinery Co., and finally, the Shell station. This is the second Shell station. The original burned in 1946. The date when the station stopped serving customers in Forest is unknown. It currently Forest customers with pizza delivery.
The photograph above shows an aerial view of Forest taken by Don Rabberman on April 4, 1964. The plane in which Rabberman was riding was traveling west so South is at the top of the photograph. The south-side "fronts" of the businesses on Lima Street are visible as are the "rears" of the north-side businesses.
.E. Church & Masonic Temple.
The Methodist Episcopal church can just be seen at the top middle of the photograph. The old Masonic Temple is at the next corner west of the church.
Starting from the left side of the photograph on the north side of Lima street was Bob Spencer's International Harvester dealership. It is currently a doctor's office & parking lot. Then the Gulf station. It is currently Martin's Meat Mart & filling station. Then Gormley street followed by the Mapletoft Hardware store. It is currently the Paul D. Walter's & Todd D. Evans's Print shop. The building in the rear of the Print Shop has been torn down as have the two buildings next to it. Next was Crum's Restaurant. It is currently the Gridiron Bar & Grill. Currently, next to the bar & grill is __'s Beauty shop, then several empty buildings, then the Forest Community Bank, an alley, __'s Beauty shop, several more empty buildings, then the Post Office, then Victoria's restaurant (now closed), __'s Insurance Agency. The building in the lower right of the photograph has been torn down and the entire area is now a parking lot. The building at the bottom middle of the photograph have been replaced with a storage facility.
ormley Park & Pond.
In 1881, the heirs of John Gormley, one of the founders of the village of Forest, donated 5 acres of land that the village used to create a park. Two of the earliest features of Gormley Park were historical in nature. In 1906, two canons from the Civil War were placed in the park. In 1908, a log cabin was built, which the Forest Historical Society has continued to preserve. In 1960, a community pool was added and many updates have been made over the years. Currently, the park has basketball courts, tennis courts, horseshoe pits, volleyball courts, baseball diamonds, playground equipment, pavillions, walking paths and much more. 1
Several of Forest's homes can be seen from the Gormley Park pond in this photograph. The home on the right still exists though its porch has been removed.
Also, a summer diving platform, now removed, can be seen near the center of the photograph. There were also steps, since removed, which allowed swimmers to enter the water during the summer months or onto the ice during the winter months.
No individuals in the photogaph have been identified. The date is probably 1930s or 1940s.
cDaniel Auto Service.
The McDaniel Auto Service fire occurred __, 1946. It seems that several individuals in this photograph were helping to save cabinets from inside the store. No individuals have been identified, but the individual standing in the front of the building may be the owner, Everett McDaniel. After World War II, Norman Wright purchased the business from McDaniel and opened it as Wright's East End Service.
Ray O. Hempy operated a hardware store in Forest for many years. The hardware store was on the north side of Lima street, two doors west of the William Mapletoft Hardaware store. Len Crum's restaurant & Bakery was located between the two hardwares.
The store sold auto parts and farm equipment. Ray's father was instrumental in getting the original supply of electricity to Forest, the ulterior motive being to sell washing machines to the local citizens and others of the surrounding communities.