he Locker at Forest.

Currently Goodrich Photography Studio is located in the old frozen food locker building on block 19 of the Village of Forest' original plot, lots 5, 6, and 7 excepting the west end of lots 5 and 6, commonly known as 202 West Zimmerman street.

-forest.150/gif/19460000FrozenFoodLocker_victorian012.gif
The Locker at Forest

Before being remodeled into the photography studio, it had been a grocery store since 1948 with several different owners. The last successful grocery store known as Cardinal was owned by James Heck. He purchased it from Paul Henline at which time the store was known as Save-Mor. Mr. Henline purchased the store from George Grimes and Dale Mills; they purchased the store from Jay Miller who was the first to utilize the building as a grocery store.

-forest.150/gif/19460000CarrollEugeneSwitzer_victorian036.gif
Carroll Switzer

On February 23, 1948, Jay Miller bought the building and land from Carroll E. Switzer. Mr. Miller remodeled the structure into a grocery store. At that time, Mr. Miller added additional floor space to the west side of the original building changing the store entrance/front door from facing West Zimmerman street to facing South Martin street; this addition had a second floor. The second floor was made into a living area for the new owner and his family. For several years, they sold the "new" home freezers, as well as groceries.

On July 14, 1944, Caroll Eugene Switzer bought the building and land from The Forest Hatchery Company. From July 14, 1944, to February 23, 1948, the structure was known as "The Locker" and was owned and operated by Mr. Switzer. Cows and hogs were butchered for people in the north part of the building and in the south part, there was a large freezer-room which contained many individual lockers. People rented the lockers primarily to store the meat they had butchered. The animal carcasses hung on a hook attached to a ceiling track and when ready, the skinned, drained, and halved carcasses were pulled down a long hallway on the east side of the building and u-turned into a cooler. After a period of time in the cooler, the carcass would be pulled out of the cooler (still hooked to the ceiling track) and lifted off the hook and placed on one of several very large, thick wooden, chopping tables. The side of meat would be cut up, wrapped, and the type of cut identified by stamping it on the outside of the package.

All the individual packages would be placed on trays and slid through several small windows into the freezer section which was a large room west of the cooler space. The next day someone would go into the freezer section and put the frozen meat into the purchaser's rented food locker. Both the cooler room and the freezer room were entered through hugh thick doors. The people renting the lockers could go in at any time, unlock their lockers, and remove whatever packages of meat they wanted at that time. Two men who helped Mr. Switzer butcher and cut meat were Raymond Packer and Bill Hart.