Halbert Dale Shields, better known as H. Dale Shields, was the proprietor of the City Drug Store. City Drug was owned and operated by a partnership of _ Blue & H.D. Shields. Next to his store was Fout's Market. The market is visible in the left photograph with its striped awning. Next to Fout's market was the Hardin Co. Banking Company. The two letters, "BA" are for that bank.
Hallie Forest Shields, brother of Hallie, also was a druggist in Forest. The store was in the I.O.O.F. building at the southwest corner of Gormley & Lima streets.
The small white area near the center of the photograph City Drug Store is the sign for C.M. Riegle. The windows to each side of the C.M. Riegle sign opened on the law office of Charles M. Riegle. He practiced law in Forest until the 1920s.
Blue & Hallie Dale Shields purchased the firm of City Drug in 1901 from Edward Gasson.
Harry Schoenberger worked for the City Drug store as a drug clerk and was promoted to assistant pharmacist shortly before he left their employment in March, 1904 moving to West Mansfield.
In November, 1905 Blue & Shields disolved their partnership. They had been in business for four years. _ Blue retired and Hallie continued as the owner and operator of The City Drug Store.
B.F. Miller gashed his thumb when getting out the fire appratus on August 23, 1907. His injury prevented him from continuing work.
E Hubbs Brown was a pharmacist with The City Drug Store in 1908. He resigned to move to Pennsylvania where he expected to join a crowd for the camping grounds. Dr. Ernest Graham, a dentist, opened in the room above The City Drug Store in October. The two drug stores in Forest were known as the City Drug Store and the H.F. Shields Pharmacy.
C.H. _ operated his jewelry business out of the City Drug store in 1913.
Dr. Campbell operated his office out of the City Drug store in 1914.
Marguerite McLaughlin opened the McLaughlin Beauty Palor over the City Drug store in 1930.
H. Dale Shields redecorated the Drug Store in November, 1936.On Tuesday, March 3, 1936 H. Dale Shields celebrated 34 years in business a The City Drug Store. He claimed the distinction of being in business continuously for the longest period of any businessman in Forest. H.C. Nye, L.D. Crum, and Harry Lehman had been in business in Forest for some time, but not continuously.
On March 3, 1937 H.D. Shields celebrated 35 years in business.
The City Drug Store was given a new front of plate glass and some interior upgrades in June, 1948.
H. Dale Shields had been in business in Forest for 50 years in 1951.
Hal Shields was in business with this father H. Dale Shields in 1952 at The City Drug Store by opening up Hal's Snack Bar in the Drug Store on July 27, 1952.
H. Dale Shields quit the drug business when he sold The City Drug Store to Richard O. Boyd in November, 1954. Shields had been in businss for 53 years. The name of the store changed to Boyd's Pharmacy. He continued the soda fountain, but not the snack bar.
Len D. Crum was the proprietor of the Crum Restaurant and Bake Shop. He start the business around 1900 in his home in Forest. The family would carry the baked goods up town through the alley past the Review office then located in the block known as the Hempy Block.
There was a Crum Bros Bakery in 1904.
In Feburary 3, 1908 he returned to work from an illness which took him away for a while. The duration is unknown.
Len was in business with his son after 1922. They were called Crum & Son Restaurant and Bakery.
By 1932 he was advertising as L.D. Crum & Son.
Because 3.2 beer was coming to Forest L.D. applied for a Class D liquor license in April, 1933.
Len Crum's Restaurant & Bake Shop sat on the north side of Lima street between Ray Hempy's hardware on the west and William Mapletoft's hardware on the east.
To the left of Boyd's drugs was Zimmerman's Dental Office. In the 1930s it had operated as the Keiper funeral home. It is still located on the south side of Lima street, but no longer operates as a business. The Boyd drug store was later the Style shop. Dick Boyd and Reva Stauffer can be seen standing in front of the new Boyd drug store in one photograph.
Jean & Everett Hankins were the proprietors of the Village Inn. The Village Inn restaurant was located on the southeast corner of Lima and Patterson streets. It sat at the location that is now the Tree Town Inn restaurant parking lot. A fire destroyed the Village Inn restaurant in __. The photograph Grand Opening shows the building after it was completed. Cynthia Elizabeth (Sapp) Wright worked as a waitress for the Village Inn restaurant for about 10 years.
Twenty-three members and five guests of the Hardin County Bankers Association dined in the new Village Inn in August, 1957. After dining they toured the United Aircraft Products, Inc. plant in Forest. Also in August a bridal party of twenty-seven ate a buffet lunch. In October sixteen members of the Progress Club dined. Also in October the Searchlight Club opened their year's program.
Orlan Hankins was in the 1945 graduating class. The Booths and Counter photographs were taken sometime during 1955, shortly after the Village Inn was completed. The Village Inn Booths photograph displays the new booths in the restaruant. The music box in the doorway was capable of playing two-hundred different tunes. Hankins was known to everyone as "Tubby," and is believed to be the individual sitting at the far end of the Counter photograph. The other individuals are unknown.
Included in the Village Inn completion were the Dining tables and chairs. The photograph definitely portrays the "new & clean" look of the restaurant.
There was a November Senior class smorgasbord for students and public alike where half the proceeds went to the Senior Class. And for Christmas, 60 members of the school staff and their guests were invited for a turkey dinner. Two other clubs also had parties at the Inn in December; the Progress Club and the Beta Sigma Phi Sorority.
In January of 1958 the Mothers Club had a dinner for the husbands. And in May the former classmates of Dr. Thoburn Brumbaugh honored him at a dinner in the Village Inn. He was the graduation speaker for the 1958 class. The Forest Lions generally met at the Village Inn. November brought a ground breaking for a new building to house the General Telephone dial equipment. With that ground breaking a luncheon was held in the Village Inn.
The American Loan and Finance Company met at a dinner meeting in the Village Inn on January 22, 1959. Simpson Insurance honored the Hardin Co. Bowling League Champs to a dinner at the Village Inn in May, 1959. The honorees were Bob Exline, Bo Edgington, Frank Blackburn, Herb Ickes, Billy Hensel, Carl Simpson, and Harold Waller. Also in May, the Child Guidance Club met and installed new officers. Hardin county realtors dined at the Village Inn in June. Dave Grafmiller celebrated his 80th birthday at the Village Inn. In December Bud Dyer, manager of Save-Mor Food Market, entertained employees at a dinner given at the Village Inn. And fifty people associated with the Forest school system had an annual Christmas party at the Village Inn. And, in December, Barbara Moore met with twenty-eight members of the Searchlight Club to view pictures taken of the Holy Land.
Kroger Grocery and Baking Company started its business in 1883 in Cincinnati. The history of the grocery's operations in Forest is fragmented. One store manager was Mary Naus who managed in the 1930s. Leonard C. Harman was the Manager in 1927. Another, Paul Anspach, was a manager in 1949 and served on the Forest Jackson school board the same year. Later, Ralph Balmer was a manager. Ralph was a music teacher for Forest Jackson schools in 1949. Russell O. Thomson was a clerk in the store.
The photograph Inside the Kroger shows an individual in the background who resembles L.C. Harman. Leonard Harman was hurt by flying bricks during the Dickelman fire on July 27, 1927. By 1933, Harman was the grocery's manager. Assuming he is Leonard and the photograph was taken after 1933, then he is the individual in the rear of the store. Check out the prices. Wouldn't we all want to be paying them today?
Frank Curran Jr. worked in the Forest Kroger in 1931. In June, 1933 he was the asistant manager during the vacation of Leonard Harman
L.C. Harmon resigned his position as Kroger Store manager to become a representative of The Dickelman Mfg. Co. The new manager was D.M. Baker.
A change of management occurred in September, 1941 when Paul Anspach took over as store manager.
Mary Hemmerly worked in the Kroger Store in 1943.
Joe Anderson became the new Kroger Store manager in March, 1949.
Paul Anspach purchased the Lehman's Drive-In Market on September 13, 1950. After leaving the Forest Korger Store he was employed at the Forest Locker and Food Service.
The date when the Kroger Grocery closed is unknown. The Society would like to know any information you may have about the Kroger operation in Forest and Dunkirk. If you have any information about the Forest or Dunkirk Kroger stores, please contact the Society at the email link above.
The photograph of Minnie Young and Mary Naus was taken at the time that Mary was managing in the 1930s. Minnie was grandmother to Mary.
The photograph Farmers Institute Display shows a setup of some Forest family products. It looks to be a fall window setup, maybe during the time of a Farmers Institute meeting. Samuel G. Liles and his son were Issah R. Liles farmers about 2 miles east of Forest in Jackson Township. Samuel was married to Mary. He was born around 1844; she around 1845. Their son was 24 in 1910. There is no date on this photograph. The exhibit probably set up for the Farmers Institute which used to meet in Forest. Samuel Liles served in the Union Army during the Civil War. He enlisted as a S ergeant 1st Class on September 26, 1964. At the time he was 21. He was with Co. K, 180th Infantry Regiment, Ohio Volunteers later that year. On the 4th of July, 1865 he was promoted to Full Lieutenant 2nd Class. He mustered out of Co. K, on July 12, 1865 in Charlotte, N.C.
Adam Newton "Newt" Mick is seen on the left with William B. Price, in the front of the Mick grocery on the north side of Lima street in Forest.
The Mick & Edwards advertisement ran on December 1, 1910. In February 11, 1921 Newt was given a surprise birthday dinner party by his wife and sons Darrell and Harry on the occassion of his 68
th birthday. The Mick & Edwards store sold clothing. There isn't a record that the store existed other than the advertisement. Was this an A.N. Mick establishment?
On March 22, 1921 the A.N. Mick grocery was Sold and all stock invoiced to the new proprietor, Chas. Kachley of Galion, Ohio. Charles Kachley had worked in his father's grocery at Galion. He expected high results and they must have been because the Kachley grocery operated many, many years in Forest.
William Price's father, Russell Price, the son of Henry and Eloisa (Corey) Price lived in Patterson when he married Addie Backus on June 22, 1876 and immediately thereafter moved to Forest. William had two brothers, Harry B. and Charles R. Price. They were all born in Forest. At the time of their father's death, William Price was an attorney living in Forest, Charles Price an attorney living in Kenton, and Harry living in New York City.
The Dull & Chase Store was photographed around 1890. They were druggists. They ran advertisements concerned about child deaths due to parents giving their children opiates. Some of their ads read; "Try Gailey's Myrrh Mixture," "A Child Killed," and "For Everybody." Their products consisted of; toilet, odor, card and cigar cases, glove and handkerchief, collar and work boxes, photograph and autograph albums, scrap books, perfumes, purses, pocket books, whisk broom holders, vases, lamps, cups and saucers, novelties in China ware, books, fancy box papeteries, toys, and games. _ Chapman worked for Dull & Chase.
Little to nothing is known about Dull & Chase. What little is known of the "Dull" in Dull & Chase is found in this paragraph. L.E. Dull may have been the "Dull" in Dull & Chase. And L.E. may be for L. Elmer Dull. L.E. Dull was a Coumcilman for Forest in 1892. And he was the Local Trustee for the I.O.O.F. Mutual Aid and Accident Association the same year. The "Chase" in Dull & Chase may have been William Chase. _ Chase of Dull & Chase could sing. In May, 1891 he sang a solo and chorus at the M.P. Church. In August they were selling hammocks and "Wee Wa" chairs. They were appointed as agents for school books in September. Bertha McMullen may have worked for them. Dull & Chase was located just west of the I.O.O.F. building on the south side of Lima street. For many years there was a house located at the spot of the Dull & Chase location so the building holding Dull & Chase was probably torn down before 1900. That house was razed before 2010.
George Buxton leased the George Hafer Barber Shop in November, 1951.
"Whitey" Hafer is seen in these photographs while painting the outside of his barber shop. The shop was located on the north side of west Lima street where the current post office is now located. Whitey sold his business later to George Buxton who ran the shop for many years. George was considered to be one of the best barbers around.
At one time, Lolo (Witzer) Jaquith ran a millinery shop at this location. Lolo was the wife of R. "Bert" Jaquith, the editor of the Forest Review. Whitey must have closed his barber shop during the time of this photograph because the sign written on the window indicates that the shop is closed and has moved to the other side of Lima street.
The Boyd's Drug photographs shows the New Boyd Drug store at its location on the south side of west Lima street. It was formerly Harris Furniture, then Lutz Variety, and finally Glenn March's Forest Variety before becoming the new Boyd drug store. Boyd's Pharmacy was at 124 Lima street. It was later the Style Shop. The c1953 photograph also shows Hempy Appliance. The two automobiles seen in the photograph are a 1946 and 1950 Chevorlet.
The photograph Dick Boyd with Reva Stauffer was taken while they were standing in front of the new store. It was taken sometime around the opening in 1955. Boyd's was formerly Harris Furniture, Lutz Variety, and the Forest Variety stores. One of the variety stores was owned by Glenn March. The brick house on the left in the lower photograph Boyd's Drug was used as the Zimmerman dentist office and at one time a funeral home.
Earl & Ethel Schott owned the Schott's Dress Shop seen in these photographs. The shop was in the same location as the Dull & Chase store. The Pfeiffer Clothing and Shoe store is to the far left in the Schott's Dress Shop photographs.