Originally known as Grants instead of Grant the village is located approximately 5 miles south of Forest. In 1891 Ida Feets closed a very successful term of school there. This was probably the closing of a normal school year.
In June, 1891 John Hamilton had his hand badly mashed while coupling cars for the Big Four. This too was probably in the village of Grants. By 1899 Grants was known as Grant. Just when this occurred is unknown.
Nothing is known about Long's garage, but Grant had a population large enough in 1932 to keep Long's garage operating since one of it's employees, with 19 years of experience, was advertising for a management position.
Currently Grant's population is so limited that it doesn't get listed on the national census like its neighbor, Patterson, five miles north. Patterson's population was 137 in 2000.
When the Grant Methodist church was first organized, it was known as the Pleasant Grove Methodist Episcopal church. A class was started in the house of Issac Osborn, it is believed about 1838-39, by Rev. Enos Holmes, with the following members:
- Enos Holmes & wife
- Phoebe Wilson
- Isaac Osborn
- Margaret Osborn
- Asher Letson & wife
- B. Letson
- Jane Letson
- John Letson
- Fidelia Letson
- Paul Castor
- Eleanor Castor
- David Cloud & wife
- Agnes Cloud
- Samuel Holmes & wife
- John McCann & wife
They held services in private houses and in the school houses until about 1858, when they erected a frame church, whcih was dedicated the same year, by Rev. J. Wesley Wells.
Some of the early ministers were: Rev. Enos Holmes, Rev. Fetchley, Rev. J. Wesley Wells, and Rev. Henry Close.
A Sabbath School was early organized, and it continued in quite a prosperous condition. It was kept up the year through, in the winter as well as in the summer.
In 1883 the membership was about seventy. At that time the class leaders were Samuel Sccott and S.H. Corathers; the pastor was Rev Jason Young; the Superintendent was Samuel Scott.
In 1906 the present building of the Grant Methodist Church was erected on almost the same site as the first frame church. This was accomplished under the church members and friends of the community by their donations and hard work. The church was dedicated on May 19, 1907, and it was redecorated in 1948 under the leadership of Rev. Deihm. The church membership has now grown to one hundred fifteen. Some of the former ministers were: Rev. Markley, Rev. Herd, Rev. Owens. The present minister is Rev. Roger Rounds.
The church was represented during the Forest Centennial of August 8-12, 1954 as seen in photograph
The Greenwood Grange at Grant will hold a big ice cream social at the Grange Hall Thursday evening Aug. 11th . Two pure-bred Gilt Pigs will be given away at this social. 1 Duroc and 1 Chester White. Everyone is cordially invited.
H.A. Beagle ran a garage which sold Cresent Glare Shield making night driving safe in 1921. It was ...made of the best grade of aluminum procurable and ...fit any auto headlight.
R.D. Webber operated the Webber Drayer & Moving business.