t. Blanchard Business.
Asa M. Lake founded the village of Mt. Blanchard in 1830. Asa M. was the son of Asa Lake, a veteran of the Revolutionary war and the War of 1812. Asa is supposed to be the first settler in Delaware township. The village was named for the French fur trader Jean Jacques Blanchard who lived among the Shawnee between 1770 and 1802.
The text on the rear of the
"John Chapman. John Chapman, known as Johnny Appleseed, established a nursery on lots 51, 52, and 53, in 1834. Mt. Blanchard Union School, organized in 1868, was the first high school in the county outside Findlay. The large brick home at the town's south end was built by Maylangton Hamlin in 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Dean Cunningham donated land for Island Park in 1932, which, with community cooperation, has been a constant source of enjoyment and pride."
This home is located on S. Main street in Mt. Blanchard. According to the Mt. Blanchard Historical Society (c1932), it was built by Maylangton S. Hamlin in 1882. Hamlin (27 Jul 1818-17 Jul 1892) was married to Mary (Marshal) Hamlin (1820-1905). They are buried in Mt. Blanchard cemetery, Mt. Blanchard, Ohio.
J. Fahl & Son operated a hardware & tinware shop in Mt. Blanchard in 1890. Their supply included hardware, tinware, farming implements, and metal roofing. David Cashen who had worked for Struble & Rhodes was in charge of their tinware department.
The Hamlin's had one daughter, Eliza Jane, who married Robert West McVay (1835-1911). Eliza died on 14 Mar 1891 and Robert, born in Centerville, OH died on 13 Jan 1911. Both are buried in Mt. Blanchard cemetery.
Sidewalks were laid down in the village starting in August 1907. Notice was sent via the newspaper ... To those previously notified to build sidewalks. Council will build walks for all parties not complying with notice by next regular council meeting. Same to be paid by property owner. ..."
In 1914, Bristol and Cole carried a full line of supplies of all kind and did repair work on short notice. They called themselves the Mt. Blanchard Garage and were agents for the Ford automobile. W.L. Bristoll lived on Main street with his wife Alole (Cook) Bristoll and daughter Marguerite. W.L. was the son of William Bristoll of Wharton. Marguerite was the granddaughter of S.L. Cook.
November and December, 1914 brought a bovine quarantine to Mt. Blanchard and the sourrounding area. Bristoll was in the pig business as he shipped two cars of hogs to eastern markets, the first since a quarantine of two months. During the same year Nellie Marle Vining of Delaware, Ohio died. She had been a recipient of a doll sent by Marguerite Bristoll after the devestating floods which had occurried earlier in the summer of 1913.
W.L. Bristoll had a brother, Acel, who lived in Wharton. W.L. was also in business with J.H. Krumlaut. They raised feeding cattle which they got in Louisa, Kentucky through the purchase of two [railroad] car loads. Bristoll & Krumlaut purchased more feed cattle than any other buyers in the Mt. Blanchard area in 1915. They purchased cattle from Dave Bishop, a local farmer who then left for Chicago to purchase more cattle to sell after fattening them. In April of 1916 he improved the business by having workmen repair and remodel the Main street garage. One of the improvements was to be electricity. The new garage opened up in August, 1915 under the management or ownership of A. Lang and C. Coldren. Mr. Bristoll still owned the building.