Thomas Jones, the man in the middle of this photograph, and his wife, Alice (sitting in rocker) lived in this house west of Patterson in Jackson Twp., Hardin Co., Ohio. Thomas was born in April, 1862, Alice in February, 1864. They had one son and daughter, Leo & Marie, by June 15, 1900. Leo, on the right in the foreground, was born in December, 1891, Marie, on his right, was born in April, 1895.
Thomas had a brother, Robert (b. Sep 1864) who might be the individual to his left in the photograph. Everyone was born in Ohio. The name of the dog is unknown.
This home stood on Route 81, west of Patterson Village in Hardin county. The owners were Carl McKinley (b. 1894), his wife Marie (b. 1895) and their son Lowell (b. 1915), all born in Ohio.Carl was a general farmer.
Families living near them in 1930 were: Sammy Webb, William & Claudine Wagner, Pearl & Grace Jolliff, Frank & Elizabeth McKinley, Aaron & Elizabeth McKinley, Joseph & Beth McKinlye, Francis Webb, Eugene & Laura Grafmiller, James Grafmiller, Matthew & Hazel Grafmiller, Justin & Oakie Farmer, Riley & Elezen Riley, Simon & Nellie Burdette, Will & Lila Humphrey, Bruce & Opal Philipps, James & Coral Miller, Henry & Ella Spearman, Sal & Effie Packer, Elmer & Cora Hankins, James & Elizabeth Newsom, John Renfree, William & Alice Waller, Loren & Rush McMaster, William & Cora McVitty, Phoebe Staley, Caroll & Helen McVitty, and Harley Southward. Carl died in Hardin Co. February 2, 1971.
The Patterson Methodist Episcopal church was turned over to the congregation on February 21, 1921, after a cost of $16,550. There was a large crowd in attendance at the dedication. The newspaper article mentions F.H. Lue, Lizzie H. Dickelman, K.O. Ickes, W.A. McNut, James A. Grafmiller, L.E. Liles, S.Z. Baker, and Earl Dome. They had been without a church for over two years, . . . since the old church was distroyed [sic] by lightning and fire, August 31, 1918.
The K.O. Ickes general store had $10,000 in damages when it was destroyed by a fire on November.
Old time watch meeting will be held at the Patterson M.E. church December 31, 1909. First watch beginning at 9 o'clock. Come early register and receive souvenir. Interesting program prepared. Old time songs a speciality. Young & old cordially invited. Come and exchange greetings & make a silver offering to begin the New Year.
The Nelson Grocery was operating in 1936.