Whartonsburg, Ohio is a very early photograph of Wharton, probably 1866. Perportedly it is the 1st photograph of Wharton. The individuals in the photograph are standing on the north side of Sandusky street and facing west. The U.S. Gazetteer of 1854 lists the village as: Whartonsburg, Ohio, a post-village of Wyandot Co., Ohio, on the Mad River and Lake Erie railroad, about 60 miles S.W. from Sandusky.
The McClelland & Vogle Co. was the William McClelland blacksmith shop, formerly the old school house, which was moved across the street from its original location. The date of the photograph is unknown, but probably dates after 1890. McClelland admitted William K. Vogel into partnership in 1882 to form the McClelland & Vogel Company for blacksmithing and wagon making. Fred Weber, a tin smith, may have worked with them during that time. Fred Weber wasn't married.
McClelland was married to Mary Catherine Bernheisel and had two children; Orrin Odel McClelland and Iva Pearl McClelland. Mary was the daughter of Henry Bernheisel and Susanna Snyder, both born in Ohio. William's father was, David McClelland, and his mother, Martha McClelland.
William Vogel was a widower with three children; Joseph Vogel, Jennete Vogel, and Mary Vogel. William K. Vogel married Elizabeth Vogel.
In the photograph, McClelland & Vogel Co. left to right are: J. Homer Lutz, Elem Rummel (blacksmith), & Ross Fernbaugh. There was a John Rummel who was a blacksmith in 1880 at New Middleton, Mahoning Co., Ohio and who had a son, William H. Rummel. He was also a blacksmith and may be related to Elem Rummel.
William K. Vogel's old blacksmith shop in Wharton is seen in Vogel Blacksmith Shop. Left to right are Em Brown's horse, (Carlo) Wood's dog (at the extreme left in front of the horse), Austin V. Shuman, a wagon maker (b. 1866, OH), Em Brown (farmer), Elem Rummel (blacksmith), Jim Drider (laborer), W.K. Vogel (blacksmith & owner) holding his dog, "Fannie", then farmers; Ralph W. Boden, (b. 1857, OH) & Frank Williams.
Frank is standing in front of his horse and buggy in the Vogel Black Shop photograph.
On the second story porch, left to right, Paul Secrist and Jim Shumaw stand; both students. David Boden, Ralph's father, was the brother-in-law of Mary A. Spidel.
The photograph Southeast from the Elevator was taken on July 11, 1910 from the top of the elevator. The church, visible at the center of the photograph, is believed to be a Methodist church. It may not be the same Methodist church present today. The other photograph South from the Elevator was taken while the photographer was facing south from the top of the elevator. The buildings in the background are also in another photograph found here.
The photograph Traxler Bros. shows the International Harvester dealers in Wharton with their new truck sometime in 1923 or 1924. The man on the left is unidentified, but may be Seth G. Kear, father of Russel H. Kear (b. 1901, OH) who is seated on the running board. To his left is Elmer Mickey. Standing next to Elmer is Ed Kirby. The boy on the rear of the truck is Gerald. His surname is unknown. The individuals in the background are Marshal Henry Liming, Grover W. Traxler (b. 25 Feb 1886, Nevada, OH) and Fredrick John Traxler (b. 16 Jun 1890, Nevada, OH). At one time, Fred was a teacher for the Nevada school board. Russel Kear eventually became a lawyer. His father was Seth G. Kear (b. 1883, OH) worked as a grain elevator laborer.
The Wharton Grange is seen with a Mohre & Bristol Dry Goods sign. L.R. Mohre and W.A. Bristol operated the store in Wharton where they sold groceries, boots, shoes, and other dry goods. W.A. lived with Michael Herwick and Elizabeth Herwick. Michael made shoes. L.R. lived with his wife, Elma Mohre, who was a milliner in the store. The photograph was probably taken in the 1880s. The building was destroyed by a fire in June, 1923.
The photograph Kear, Huston, & Kear hardware and farm implements was probably taken during the 1890s. The sign on the building reads, High Grade Buggies, Kear, Huston & Kear, Wharton, O. Loaded on the buggy is a stove; probably to be delivered. No additional information is known about the business.
The Methodist Church was built in 1881. the photograph was taken in the 1920s. Though it can not be seen here, the elevator is within view of the church. The church is quite visible from the top of the elevator. You would expect that the elevator could be seen from the church.
Peter P. Welty purchased the elevator at Wharton, formerly owned and operated by E.L. Cosgrove and conducted business thereafter. Mr. Welty was an honest, energetic man who received a good patronage from all over the community. He ran the business on a strictly cash basis and anyone in need of flour, coal or grain, called on him.
The first annual Farmers' Institute was held at the Wharton Methodist Episcopal church in Wharton on December 12 and 13, 1910.
J.C. Hochstettler & Sons ran a grain, feed, seed, and fertilizer business in Wharton. They also carried coal and were A Good Place to Buy and Sell.
The Wharton Bank was a member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation handling commercial and savings accounts which they solicited.
Corbin sold and serviced Chevorlet cars and trucks, but We Repair All Makes of Cars. They had been in business for twelve years by 1937. They also sold and serviced Schult trailers and outboard motors.
A.R. Cramer was the proprietor of the Wharton hardware. He carried general hardware, paints, implements and electrical supplies. On 13 Mar 1878 the hardware store was robbed, along with the postoffice.
R.A. Passet and Glen F. Alvater raised a flock of Shropshire sheep. The flock was established in 1912. Passet & Alvater were located two miles southeast of the village of Wharton.
In March of 1994 the Warton Village Council published the first issue of their newsletter, Village News, to help improve communication between the village council and the local residents of Wharton. It was to be published quarterly. No other such documents exist making the newsletter unique to Wharton.
Referenced in Village News are: Harold Baker, Christine Coe, Nancy Grubbs, Marilee Sloan, Herbert Baker, Jr., Ed Kauble, Faye Walters, Forret Bacon, Ralph Fields, John Park, Bily Rickle, Jr., Jerry Huston, Art Phelps, Mike Wheeler and Ron Metzger.
In Main Street you are looking east along the street during the "Centennial" of August 9-11, 1946, Wharton, Ohio.
There are four individuals standing on the board walk in Main Street with Inset. The three individuals who might be identifiable are unknown.
Another early photograph of the same buildings, taken from the top the grain elevator, Main Street from the Tower. The elevator may not have existed at the time the right photograph was taken. In the elevator photograph the men would be standing in front of the building hidden by two tall trees.
The Aerial View of Wharton is circa 2002. The list which follows the photograph represents Wharton's business community between 1940 and 1960. It is believed that lots 6-9 had businesses on them at the time though the has not been confirmed. If you have any information about anything on the list please email the Society.