This photograph of the railroad yards at Forest shows the C.C.C.&St.L. R.R. trackage. The photograph was taken atop the Dickelman Mfg. Co. while the photographer was looking west. The Freight House is seen in the upper left background. The building in the immediate right front is a part of the Dickelman Manufacturing Co.
At the upper center of the photograph is the depot and switching tower. One tower watchman may have been a man named __ Fortney (Forney?). Two people can be seen standing on the loading platform in the front of the depot. In July, 1911 O.W. Yahney took days off from the tower due to sickness. D.R. Spoon covered his third shift at the tower in the meantime.
The Forest railroad yards at Forest looking east. This is the C.C.C.&St.L. R.R. and later, the Pennsylvania R.R. trackage. The tower sits just west of the NYC and south of the Big Four trackage. Behind the tower is the Ticket Office and behind that the Freight House which is not visible. To the left in the photograph is seen the Dickelman Manfacturing Co.
Until 1892 this was the site of the Scott House hotel. In 1927, the Ticket Office and part of the Dickelman Manfacturing Co. was destroyed when a wreck occurred burning down the Ticket Office and destroying some of the Dickelman buildings. The Forest Hotel is the building to the right in the photograph.
The sign on the post gives notice of "trespass." The photographer was standing on Dixon street and looking north on Davis when this photograph was taken sometime in the 1920s. The fence in the background surrounds a coal yard.
This type of sign was quite common around railroads during this period. At the time that the
An example of a