orest Rail History.
After the Mad River & Lake Erie Railroad was built, one of their first trains ran through Forest to Kenton (July 4, 1846). Between 1853-54, the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, & Chicago R.R. (finally the Pennsylvania R.R., but at the time, known as the Ohio & Indiana RR) was built, their first train to Forest being on January 10, 1854 when Forest was the western terminus.
On November 1, 1854 the tracks reached Fort Wayne. The crossing of the two railroads was a major reason for laying out the village of Forest, though it never really grew until the 1870s when many people of German descent migrated to the area. In one century (1816-1914) the transatlantic exodus brought about 5.5 million Germans to the United States. For example from 1866 to 1873 while Bismarck was unifying the German imperial state and economy, over 800,000 Germans arrived. Many found their way to Ohio and eventually to Forest.
Railroads were barely making expenses in the early months of 1878. The rates on freight were down to their lowest figures. February accounted for over 700 thousand pounds of C.S. & C. railroad freight in Forest. That tonnage only generated approximately $1,700. An accident in March on the P.F. railroad near Mansfield throwing a freight engine and several cars into a ditch killed the engineer and fireman, and severly wounded the brakeman. It interrupted all freight trains moving through Forest to the west that day. In April the P.F. Railway Co. built 2,000 freight cars all of which would pass through Forest eventually.
Frank B. Reese was an agent for the C.S.&C. rail road in the 1870s. In July, 1878 he tried to extract a cartridge from his revolver. It fired causing the bullet to pass through the brim of his hat, the powder to burning his face severely. Frank helped Charlie F. Colley to learn the rail roading business and telegraphy. Charlie later became assistant trainmaster at Galion for the New York, Lake Erie & Western railroad in 1884.
In the evening of July 4, 1879 there was a grand festival at the Freight Depot served up by the Forest Rescue Fire Company. Served were strawberries, raspberries, cake, and lemonade. All people of Forest were invited. As a note, blackberries at the time wer selling for 5-7 cents per quart.
In August, 1879 Forest was requesting that the railroads build a Union Depot as the shanties used for baggage, etc. were not very commodious or useful buildings. Forest residents complained about the depot doors being kept closed daily from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m when passengers were awaiting trains though they were opened when packing eggs for shipment during evening.
Tramps "riding the rails" through Forest were ever present. In 1879 an editorial was written about how they "huddled in groups on the break-beam" which ran under the freight cars within 18 inches of the ground. Rail road personnel did their best to "keep their trains free of the nuisance but beat them they did."
Telegraphers working for the railroad were well respected in the community as their job depended upon accuracy. One old telegrapher was quoted, "The letter "t" in the word "there" cost our telegraph company several thousand dollars a few years ago. Schamacher, the oatmeal king, sent a heavy order for oats to Chicago, and the price agreed upon was "35¢ delivered in cars here," which was metamorphosed into "35¢ delivered in cars there." The letter "t" in this case represented freight charges on several hundred thousand bushels of oats from Chicago to Akron, O., and as the settlement was made on the basis of the telegraphic order, the company was held responsible for this account." Telegraphers also worked 12-hour days, 365 days a year, including all holidays. Some of them were Allen West (days), Bob Wiley, Charlie Bell, and Frank Stansell (nights).
In May, 1879 the south bound mail train was delayed at Forest due to a hot box." Hot box refers to an overheated journal box on a railroad car.
Isaac Elder, of Mt. Blanchard was seriously injured August 20th when at train on the C.S.&C. railroad had struck his wagon containing a load of wheat, himself, and two of his children. Just south of Mt. Blanchard the horses became unmanageable and they bolted, ran into the train killing them. His eldest child was 8 years of age. Both children were considered in good condition with Elder having a 5-inch gash on his head. His recovery was doubtful but by the next day he was recovering rapidly.
... the Kansas railway lines requested their eastern connections to place on sale in their various ticket offices round-trip land explorers' tickets to points in Kansas, at reduced rates. These tickets were called land explorers' tickets. Each one of the Kansas lines selected one point on their line to which these land explorers' tickets should be placed on sale. The point designated on our Kansas division was Abilene. The principal lines west of Buffalo and Pittsburg have these tickets on sale at reduced rates. The majority of the poeple who purchased these tickets wish to go farther west on our line to purchase or take up land. ...
An agreement of the railroad board later concluded that persons desiring to go west to look for land could get reduced rates and it seems that Forest was one of the points for a "land explorers' ticket".
In 1886, "... the rail roads have reduced the rates to land explorers." There was an inquiry by the Union Pacific Railway Company relative to the sale of tickets to "land explorers." Judge James Humphrey at Topeka, Kansas received a letter from D.E. Cornell (a general station agent) citing
At Forest, O. on 19 Sep 1887 two freight trains on the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago rail road, collided, setting five oil cars on fire. A car loaded with dynamite cartridges exploded, killing Fireman Fred Brough and fatally infuring Engineer Lyons. It also was the cause of death for, George Smith, of Cleveland, O., who was stealing a ride at the time.
The C.S.&C. north bound passenger knocked a man off a bridge at Forest, Thursday afternoon, of last week and killed him instantly.—Tiffin News.
A mistake. There are no railroad bridges at or near Forest, and no man was killed here. It must have been at Kenton.
A freight wreck east of Nevada on the P.F.W. & C. Ry occurred in November, 1890, and caused the delay to the west bound passenger trains in Forest. The freight was pulling over a heavy grade when the train broke, the rear part running down the grade and creshing into the forward part of the train demolishing a number of cars. It scattered merchandise in every direction though no one was hurt by the accident. Nearly all the great railroad system had hospitals for the benefit of their employees. The hospitals were partly supported by monthly deductions from the pay of employees. At the time the Big Four Ry was making an average $1.01 per mile run for passenger services while they averaged $1.87 per mile for freight. American freight cars at the time carried about thirty tons of of weight, the cars themselves weighing about nine tons.
An Arm Crushed.
A terrible accident befell one of Forest citizens yesterday on his first trip on the local train of Sandusky branch of the Big Four from here yesterday morning. He had not been on the train one half hour before he fell from the top of a car which was being switched, till he was thrown from it to the track beneath and received injuries from which may never recover. His left arm was crushed and splintered between the shoulder and elbow. His chin was also badly cut together with many other bruises about the body. The timely presence of Johnny Dargon who pulled his body from the track prevented his being ground to pieces by a car that was fast approaching.
That any one in particular was to blame we can not learn at this writing. There was a slight drizzle falling and was freezing at the time making it very dangerous to be on the top of a car for the most experienced had. And as this was his first attempt to brake, he was easily thrown off. He was carried immediately to the office of Drs. Gemmill & Mundy where he received prompt medical attention. Drs. Gemmill, Mundy, and Cook administered chloroform and toke the shattered bones from his arm and every effort will be made to prevent amputating it.
Mr. Hagerman has a wife and three children whom he has to support by day works and is without other means. He being without work made him undertake htis dangerous task, and shows his willingness to gain an honor livelihood, and as he belongs to no secret organization or had no insurance, favors shown him will be charity thrown in the right direction.
On the Wabash Ry system, in a 24 hour period, 4,991 carloads of paying freight were handled. The November 1890 wreck near Nevada was estimated to cost that railroad 30 to 40 thousand dollars.
The telegraph and business office occupied by agent Moler in the freight house was undergoing a complete renovation; ceiled and repaired, and a new floor laid in May, 1891. Residents indicated that if railroads built a decent passenger depot for their patrons they would be getting things in a fair shape and do a commendable act for the traveling public.
D.L. Harmon kept a restaurant by the Big Four railroad in July, 1891. He had been missing $2 to $6 each morning when he opened his place of business. One Friday evening he communicated that loss to B.F. McGinnis, Forest's city marshal and the two set a trap to catch the night visitor. Friday night, Mr. Harmon locked his doors securely, went home and retired, leaving the marshal on the inside of his restaurant to stay the night if necessary. The stay was not long though as shortly after twelve a key was inserted into the door and turned. A young man somehwat disguised, softly tripped behind the counter, pulled the till, and deftly slipped change from each of the dividison of the money drawer, not taking all but as on previous visits taking only a part, and then as quickly tried to make his exit. The marshal during this time had been standing behind the door as thrown open when entered, peering at the burgler, and just as he was about to escape closed the door in from of him and closed his arms around the man whom he recognized as Elmer Thrush. At the time of entry Thrush had taken advantage of a passing Big Four freight's noise. Thrush was presented before Mayor Paul where he was given a $200 bond. He didn't explain where he got the key. He was transfered to the Kenton jail. He was later released on a writ of Habeus corpus by Probate Judge Wood. Considerable excitement about the arrest and jailing of Thrush occurred in Forest. Mayor Paul was found to have made several errors in his warrant which jailed Thrush, one being that he hadn't included the name of the village on the warrent.
There was a flag drill held in the depot in September, 1891 when all the boys in Forest could get a smile from the young ladies conducting the drill.
On 23 Oct 1891 a large crowd was at the depot to witness Nebraska on Wheels," a train which consisted of four cars, two of which were filled with the products of Nebraska farms, orchards and gardens. A stream of visitors flowed through the cars during the hour of exhibition. Fifteen counties of Nebraska were represented and prominent men from each were present to describe the west. Agent E.N. Howe took pictures of the train the crowd.
Pay for conductors in 1891 was $2.50 per day. They were asking the railroad to raise pay to $3.25 per day. Freight brakemen were paid $1.75 per day and they were asking the railroad to increase that to $2.10 per day. Beside these two jobs the railroads had ticket agents, telegraph operators, freight agents, express agents, and baggage masters. Sometimes one individual being all of these people. The Pittsburg Post was cited in the Forest Review the same year indicating engineers were making enough to be "comparatively wealthy" in the $20-25,000 range.
E.E. Kenon, who was attending the P.F. water tank west of Forest at the Blanchard river on 7 Dec 1891, while attempting to board a freight train with a dog and a gun in his arms, was thrown off and broke his leg. Had it not been for the timely discovery of an open switch by Josh Silverthorn the night of 10 Dec 1891, just after a heavy freight had gone north, the Big Four might have sustained a heavy loss during the night by a wreck. Josh immediately notified agent Gardner, who went to Forest at once and notified the section boss," while Josh stood guard at the switch with a latern ready to flag down any trains that may have come along. The switch was repaired as soon as the section men could get to it and a wreck was avoided.
Charley Swartz, son of David Swartz, met with a serious accident 2 Mar 1892 while playing near the depot. He was thrown off a tie pile and broke his arm. Dr. Mundy set the broken bones.
Homer Guyer was a telegraph operator at the Big Four office. In April, 1892, C.W. Shireman replaced him due to his promotion to the St. Louis office. John Griffin, a big and likeable person by Big Four employes and officials, was Roadmaster of the Sandusky Division & resided in Forest.
June being a hot month, Ray Cesna, dispensed lemonade, peanuts and candies from a stand near the freight house in 1892. Later in October, the freight end ticket office received a much needed improvement by way of a new coat of paint.
On 5 Jun 1892 a morning train from the south was about three hours late on account of a slight wreck a short distance below Kenton. On the morning of 15 Nov 1892, Emanuel Drummond, left his home located three miles east of town to go to Forest. Thinking he could jump on a passing freight train he made the attempt and met with the result that often met with such reckless exploits. he was thrown under the train receiving injuries of a fracture to his collar bone and a crushed leg above the ankle. Dr. Swimley of Forest and Dr. Burns of Kirby amputated his leg below the knee and dress his wounds.
The traveling public, especially those who found it necessary to change cars at Forest, would find a large union depot near the crossing, where they could wait for trains at their leisure. Should they not be provided with furs and wraps sufficient to keep out the cold wintry blasts, wood and coal could be gathered along the tracks and campfires built for their comfort. It was also necessary for travelers to provide themselves with umbrellas in case of rain, as the depot was not underr roof nor the stairways put in. As seats were not in demand passengers could keep warm better by walking around for exercise. Those were the railroad accomodations for the traveling public, who found it necessary to come Forest's way on either of the railroads crossing the place.
J.J. Colley was the baggage master of the C.S. & C. Ry at Forest in 1879. He was prostrated by the heat of August and was confined to his room for a time.
The depot was quite a benefit to the town of Forest. Passengers wishing to take the train could purchase tickets from 6 to 9 a.m. and from 1 to 3 p.m. They could find accomodations at the businesss houses until they closed up, after that they could sit on the platform and flag a train with a lighted paper.
In June, 1894 a Ft. Wayne wreck-train went through Forest to clear up a wreck caused by two freight trains colliding. In the wreck about twenty-four cars were ditched, and a couple of the trainmen badley injured. All east bound trains were compelled to go around the wreck over the C.& E., No. 39, due at 9:45 in Forest, did not arrive until 1:00 o'clock.
Faithfully attending to his duties as trackwalker traveling east from Kirby, Nicholas Sebenoler, was struck by an east bound freight train the snowy evening of 11 Feb 1910 and instantly killed. He was 65 years old. He had been carrying his lantern in front of him, but due to the snow the engineer did not see him in time to prevent his death. Sebenoler was the father-in-law of operator Cornelea, of Kirby.
As conductor Dugan on a southbound Big Four feight was preparing to pull onto the main track from the siding north of the Pennsylvania tracks around midnight on 2 Aug 1916 he found the dead body of fireman Barber who had been firing on one of the engines of a double header that was pulling his train. It was assumed that he had been sitting or sleeping along the tracks after climbing out of the cab while waiting for a late train and was hit by a passenger train. His body was not mangled. There had been much confusion on the Big Four that night due to a wreck near Herzog lime kiln. Barber had only been married two weeks.
David G. Mayhorn, a retired crossing watchman for the Pennsylvania Ry., was killed in a crossing accident at the street crossing near his home on the north side of Forest. Mayhorn had been enroute to Henry Durenberger's to get milk for supper. As he approached the Big Four railroad, he evidently did not see or hear a train and drove onto the railroad in front of a northbound freight train. He was employed by the Pennsylvania Ry. for 10 years, 1927-1937.
A Big Four wreck in the early 20th century occurred near Forest when a load of ore cars upset. The cars were probably from the Herzog quarry which was located at the McVitty stop south of Patterson.
CARS STACKED BY BROKEN TRUCK
Freight Wreck Occurs on the Pennsy Near Forest. Wreck Crews were Called from Crestline and Ft. Wayne.
Two West Bound and Three East Bound Passenger Trains Detoured Around the Scene of the Accident. The first wreck of any consequence that has occurred of the Ft. Wayne Crestline division of the P. Ft. W. & C. railroad for several months befell an east bound freight train on that road early this morning at a point between the stations of Dunkirk and Forest. The train was running at a rapid rate of speed when a truck under one end of a box car broke and in an instant several cars were piled up in a confused mass of debries. The cars were badly wrecked and the track was so badly torn up and blocked that both the wreck crew from Ft. Wayne and the one from Crestline were hurried to the scene. Fortunately no one was injured in the wreck but the track was so badly blocked that traffic was considerably delated before the debris was cleared away by the wreck crews. East bound passenger trains Nos. 6, 18, & 36 were sent around the scene of the wreck via. Dunkirk, the T. & O. C., Kenton and the Big Four to Forest. West bound passenger trains Nos. 21 and 39 were transferred around the wreck over the same lines. The track was cleared by the wreck crews this afternoon.
Engineer George Horn, formely of the C. & E., who recently applied for a position on the C.H. & D., has been tendered a position on the Hamilton and Indianapolis division of the road. As the L.E. & W. R.R. has been notified by the steel companies that they cannot furnish any more rails this fall, the imporvements intended will be delayed until next spring. The last Cedar Point excrusion of the season has been run over the L.E. & W. R.R.
The framed photograph
A band festival was held in the freight house on Tuesday evening, 29 Jul 1902. Net proceeds amounted to over $22 which was attributed to the residents of Patterson street. On 5 Feb 1903 both of Forest's railroad freight departments received an Elliott & Hatch book typewriter. Will Heffernan and others then engaged in mastering its secrets. The machine was one of the latest and largest sizes at the time and cost $180. In March, 1903 the freight departments of the Big Four and Pennsylvania lines were consolidated in commodions quarters in the west end of the freight house, and when painted up were most pleasant quarters, as they were light and airy. The freight warehouse also was undergoing some needed repairs at the time. A new crossing took the place of an old one near the freight depot on 9 May 1903 and in June the slate roof of the freight house was repaired. Damage had been done to the building some weeks prior due to a tremendous wind squall that wrought havoc in a around Forest. By 1903 the average journey of a ton of freight was 128 miles.
On 29 Oct 1902, Hoadly Johnson stepped in front of a Pennsylvania Fast Train at Ada and was instantly killed. He had gone to Ada to visit friends and was walking down the Pennsylvania railroad tracks when he stepped from the south track to escape an east bound freight train and in so doing placed himself in from of the freight. His brother went to Ada to identify his body.
Then in September, 1902 the citizens of Forest called upon openly in written complaints to the State Commissioner of railroads and telegraphs egarding the matter of lack of a suitable depot on the Big Four line. The complaintent village drew up a legal argument and was sure that there would be a probable defense of the railroad's remissness in building a depot.
The Big Four and the Pennsylvania baggage rooms were one after consolidation took place on 23 Feb 1903 when an agent placed a brand new lock on the formers door. Both baggage departments were to operate in the Pennsylvania depot building. The former Big Four baggage room was later used for some other purpose. The arrangement was not handy for baggage masters but patrons of the lines found it just as convenient.
The Review was glad of indications from the Big Four line to increase the wages of its hands, and hoped that it would save enough out of the bigness of its heart to buy a suitable light to be used at its depot in Forest, which was in total darkness except when a passenger train stopped at the station.
On 7 Feb 1903 Jno. Naus had a narrow escape of being caught and killed by the east bound local backing on him. He was crossing the tracks south of the freight house with his hay bailer. William Pickett, one of the loacl draymen, while handling freight at the Big Four freight house on the 19th of October (same year) had the misfortune to severely injure his left hand. He had loaded a large roll of linoleum when a horse backed up causing the wagon he was loading to mash his hand between the linoleum and the brick wall of the freight house. He went immediately to a physician where it was found that a bone in his hand was broken.
Some Damage Done by Derailed
Cars on Lindsay Spur.
It was a swift interruption to the car loading operation at Lindsay's elevator last Friday when a Pennsylvania engine backed down with so much vim as to push a car off the end of the spur.
A car of corn was being loaded when the event occurred, and one of those that was standing on the short piece of track left the rails, it plowed through a small structure used by the Lehman Brothers as a receptable for hides, demoshing it, and brought up with considerable force against the rear end of the Big Four hotel, doing a little damage there also. The derailed car was soon placed on the track again.
The editor of the Forest Review wrote thanking the Big Four for increasing the wages of workers and wished that they would spring for a light at the station. In total darkness unless a passenger train stopped he wished the railway would install a light.
By not heating the Forest depot the railroads were saving quite a nice bit to apply to the two cent fare receipts in March, 1906. It was thought that the expression its a cold day originated from waiting passengers at the Forest depot. Most of the fire at the depot around that time was from the Review. What the Pennsylvania and Big Four combined depot wanted before another winter was to procure and install an adequate heating furnace, or even a small stove. Great numbers of growls and kicks were registered at the Forest depot because of its being an icebox, and the traveling public was beginning to believe that it was the niggardliness of the railroads that prevented the depot being heated to a half way comfortable degree. The trouble was said to be in the furnace and the variety of fuel used. But whatever it was, it was little short of an outrage to require passengers to wait their trains in such a place.
The depot did get painted in July, 1906.
Again in November, 1906 people were complaining of the coldness of the depot. Out of the Pennsylvania's plenty, a bushel or two of coal ought to be spared for the Forest depot. That is if it won't interfere with the 10 percent raise of the employees.
A small wreck of a freight just west of Washington on 6 Jan 1904 stopped all traffic for awhile on the Pennsylvania. Two box cars were on the rails across both tracks. A wrecker went through Forest at 8:44, presumably to help with the wreck.
On March 13, 1904 an accident occurred at the dangerous Gormly street crossing of the Pennsylvania line. Benjamin Burnett unfortunately having suffered two fractures of his arm in February which had not healed was crossing the Pennsylvania tracks. Seeing only one train and while upon the south track was hit squarely by an east-bound freight thundering along at high speed. In an instant the horse was pushed along at high speed striking the rig squarely. The horse was pushed and dragged a distance of nearly 100 feet. A section hand quickly put it out of its misery. On the north side of the track about 50 feet from the impact lay Mr. Burdett amid the wreckage of his buggy which was wrapped around him. The editor of the Forest Review was among those who helped in carrying Mr. Burdett to his home. Mr. Burdett suffered fractures to both bones of the right leg among other injuries. Benjaman lived with his wife, Margret E. Burnett, in Mt. Blanchard village, Hancock county. They were born in Ohio in March, 1859 and February, 1864 respectively. They had a daughter, Lizzie M. Burnett, who was born in May, 1885. Burnett was a farmer.
Charles Fultz was a baggage man for the Big Four railroad when the company unloaded a quantity of gravel near the depot in March, 1904. It was to be scattered filling the "watery" places and mud holes.
On June 24, 1904 Misses Mallie Holmes and __ Williams had a narrow escape from the flyer. A long freight train had been going west with so much smoke that it hid entirely from view the flyer going east and not until they were on the track could they see it. They scarcely off the track when it passed.
On the nights of August 17-18, 1904 the Ladies of the M.E. church served supper at the freight house. A 15 year-old boy, Joseph Mullen, who had stolen a watch in Monroeville was captured on a freight by Conductor H.J. Greenlun (12 Aug 1904) and turned over to Chief Handchy for safe keeping until he could be returned to Monroeville. After stealing the watch the boy boarded an east bound freight and the chief of police wired the conductor.
In November, 1904 a wagon got out of control and was narrowly saved by the quick actions of Allen Liles when he sprang into action and with a tremendous jump landing on the runaway rig and grabbed up the lines stopping the animal pulling the rig. Both were within 100 feed of the railroad tracks where a freight was crossing at the time. No damage was done and Mr. Liles was commended for his activity.
C.S. Wilson and his daughter, Electra Wilson, were on their way home from a funeral at McGuffy December 2, 1904 and nearing the McVitty switch when a passenger, and shortly afterward a freight train passed. The weather was sleety and the glass in the storm curtain was hardly transparent. Mr. Wilson asked his daughter to open the curtain at one side that they may know exactly where they were. When she did so, they found that they were on the track and the a box car was backing swiftly toward them. Mr. Wilson gave the lines a violent pull and the horse backing suddenly barely missed being hit by the car. The horse at that moment became frightened and continued to back until the buggy reached the rickety fence separating the road from the limekiln quarry which was about thirty feet deep. Had the horse made one leap, all would have landed in a heap on the rocks below and instant death would have been certain.
Algernon Jack" Tarlton, a barber, fell under a Big Four train February 14, 1905 a short distance north and suffered amputation of his left leg above the knee. Drs. Cook, Mundy, and Wolf and John Crum, M.S., did the amputation. Tarlton was going to Tiffin and was on the back platform, but changed his mind and attempted to get off between a passenger and a moving freight train. Shortly after the accident Tarlton made a statement alleging a Brakeman pushed him off the train because he would not go inside the coach. It was not know wether the freight or the passenger train ran over him. Harry McKean, conductor of the freight, and Jacob Hafer, got a buggy from town and took Tarlton to the doctor's office. He was later removed to the Kenton hospital with Dr. Wolf accompanying him.
Karl McCleary, the night operator at "B" tower was off from work with blood poisoning in his right hand in September, 1905. The blister was caused from his handling the heavy lever in the tower. When he tried to open the blister with a pin he contaninated it and the blood poisoning set in.
After the earthquake which struck San Francisco, CA trains passed through Forest carring substance to the thousands who were suffering for the plain necessaries of life there. One train, of thirteen freight cars, at appalling speed, the first one carrying relief, passed through Forest on April 20, 1906 at about 11:00 o'clock in the morning, and the 21st at 11:26 a.m., another of the cars was whirled westward. At 1:52 p.m. the 21st, a train of five cars, running at a speed which gave the hearts of the populace who knew of the circumstance a most warm and generouss glow that the dire wants of the unfortunate would be supplied, passed west. That night three trains wen through bearing substance, and at 4:15 p.m. on the 22nd a train of about eleven cars went west at a high rate of speed; each car bearing a large sign that it was the Evening Telegram Relief Train for Frisco. A communication to Agent Smith from Division freight Agent Diefen??? of the Big Four road, and also from James C. Fargo, president of the American Express Company in New York stated that all clothing, sustenance and relief supplies for the San Francisco sufferers would be carried there free of charge if properly addressed to one of the relief organizations. Supplies of food which came rapidly from outside points were centralized in the freight sheds and warehouses still standing. San Francisco laid off districts covering areas of four blocks. Sub-committees in those districts regulated the supply of food furnished families living withing their boundaries.
In the spring of 1906 a number of earnest gentlemen, all strangers then to Forest, arrived and stated in the presence of it best business men and city officials their desire to construct an electric railway between Findlay and Marion, placing Forest on the line. It was considered to be a genuine and solid boom, stimulating growth and progress. No brass band accompanyied the railway party. They simply stated what they hoped to do and set to their work methodically and with a business air. The franchise was to place the rails along Forest's main streeet. The late Mayor Waltermire, then in office, became very enthusiastic and practically guaranteed a resonable and fair legal permission. Businessmen and citizens were not slow in saying a good word in the right place for the new company. Farmers north and south of Forest exhibited a cordiality toward the new line and freely granted rights-of-way over and past their properties. Rights-of-way were also discussed in Mt. Blanchard, Marseilles, Findlay, and Marion. Work was to begin in the spring of 1907. Forest and vicinity was exceedingly favored with the enterprise of the Findlay-Marion Railway and Light Company. On 4 Feb 1909 and article appeared in The Forest Review indicating that ... Railroads make a town, not towns alone [sic] the railroads. All electric roads, bear in mind, will not only carry you cheaper, and oftener, but will do your freight and express business cheaper and a whole lot quicker. You MUST wake up, and soon, or the Findlay-Marion traction will leave Forest miles off it line. The line is sure to be build, but whether or not through Forest is yours to say.
Backed down upon by a freight train on the afternoon of April 27, 1906, with a speeder smashed and ground into bits, John Dickson, a local lampman, had a narrow escape from death. Dickson had been in the discharge of his duties and was moving west on his machine on the north track near the Forest City House. The butter and egg train was on the south track, also moving westerly, backing at a good rate of speed and was making a crossover, moving in behind Dickson. When the latter discovered the approaching caboose, it was too close to avoid, or to save the speeder. Dickson was sumarily summoned to Ft. Wayne 11 May 1906 by the mighty powers that doth hedge the railroad department bosses, and receive his conge. Mr. Dixon's successor, J.M. Young, of Ft. Wayne, arrived on the 17th with indications that Young would remain awhile. A new speeder had been furnished. Previously two lampmen's resignations were accepted on account of damages to their speeders. Some narrow escapes had been made by others riding speeders and it was looked upon as a red winged hoodoo to damage one.
In May, 1906 a young man living near Forest, jumped on a moving freight train at Heller's Crossing. As that was contrary to the state law, and the detectives of the Pennsylvania road being on the train at the time, he was arrested and when the train arrived in Forest he was brought before Mayor Schott, plead guilty and was giving the minimum of the law, which was $1 and cost amounting to $2.20 which he paid and was discharged from custody. The name of the individual involved at the time was known but withheld by request.
Freight Agent W.R. Smith, at the local office tendered his resignation to the companies which took effect on July 1, 1906. It was not known who would be appointed in his stead. he was been in the position for only a few months and had not stated his intentions as to his future. He was well liked and visited Forest in September, 1908. He had opened a clothing business in Delaware. He may have visited R.R. Edwards, the Big Four freight agent at the time.
A double headed freight train, going north, killed a two year old short horn bull belonging to W.L. Baker the week of November 11, 1906. Mr. Baker lived two and a half miles northeast of Forest and the animal would have been sold to the butcher soon after the incident. The entire Baker family had been absent from home and by some means the animal got out of its enclosure, went to the public road, crossed a cattle guard and onto the track of the railroad. After it was killed it became fastened in some way and was dragged 80 rods. It was necessary at the time to stop the train and haul the carcase from under the cars. When Mr. Baker heard of the incident he got appraisors and had the bull valued. He then sent the bill to the company for $40.
In November, 1906 Ralph Cline and Wm. Hafer accepted positions with the Big Four railroad in the freight house at Middletown, OH.
In December, 1906 relatives in Forest of L.A. Klingler, a brakeman on the Cleveland and Pittsburgh railroad had fallen from his train whie it was traveling at a 40 mile per hour rate. He had suffered terrible wounds to his head, being almost scalped.
Prior to 1907, E.J. Bogan was an express agent for Forest and attended Senate Lodge F. & A.M., of which he was a member.
After about six years with the Big Four line, and eight years with the Pennsylvania company, as freight clerk, W.P. Heffernan resigned that position April 24, 1907 and accepted on with the Dickelman company as shipping clerk. Mr. Heffernan knew all the ins and outs of the freight business. The new freight clerk at the freight house was W.B. Birley.
The bob-tailed caboose of the Big Four switcher derailed at Lima street on the morning of June 24, 1907. It was blocked to make clear track for No. 39 on the Pennsylvania, and the caboose and three cars broke away. A freight train had been switching. A derail did the rest and after about half an hour everything was back to normal.
The Roosevelt Special Train slowed down while traveling thru Forest on October 7, 1907. A big crowd saw President Roosevelt that evening as his special train slowed down for orders. Some greeted him and exchanged a word with him before the train got away, the President waving his handkerchief in adieu. There was a message to deliver the President and also a report from a freight train that had reached Dunkirk that a flock of sheep were on the track near the Blanchard river bridge. The caution signal was displayed and the train officials notified.
About 1:30 a.m. on October 13, 1907 conductor, G.W. Thompson's, Big Four train was attempting to push three cars near the oil tanks from an adjoining track with a pole. A switch was open and the three cars derailed. The crew succeeded replacing one car loaded with stock, but the other cars were loaded with 150 barrels of cement and too heavy for the crane, one so badly broken up that it was afterwards burned.
An experimental engine known as Fat Anna was being tested and used in October. It gained favor with the men in the transportation department with a regular run between Ft. Wayne and Chicago. On October 16, 1907 the train, composed of ten heavy laden cars, made up fifty seven minutes of lost time. Dr. Cook was called about noon on October 16, 1907 to set the fibula of the leg of G.L. Geinbur, a brakeman from Ft. Wayne. He had been standing on the ground and was caught on a bold of one of the cars which hurled him ten feet in the air breaking his leg.
On October 18, 1907 a freight wreck on the T. & O.C. road at Blanchard caused thru passenger trains of that line to go from Kenton to Forest over the Big Four, and then to Dunkirk over the Pennsylvania. The wreck wa caused by a freight train breaking in two and then crashing togethere. No one was hurt.
When the telegraph offices of Kenton, Wharton, and Carey adapted a three trick arrangement all other Big Four offices were to be manned as soon as competent operators could be secured. This would apply to Forest. A three trick arrangement was possibly a third shift. In Febuary, 1908 three trick men were again placed in position at telegraph offices. They had been removed for some time previously. The Big Four had asked U.S. authorities to "extend the time given to make eight hour days in all towers and telegraph offices of the line," but failed. Resumption was to occur on March 1, 1908.
November 5, 1907 saw the first lights powered by electricity installed at the Big Four and Pennsylvania freight office. Lights and wiring would be thoroughly tested by an expert employed by both roads.
A case of fancy cookie snaps in transit was found badly burst open when it came to transfer them at the freight depot one day the week of December 8, 1907, if the hustlers there didn't eat them.
Wiring for electricity was completed 5 Nov 1907 for the Big Four and Pennsy freight office. That was the first time electricity was to be used by freight office, the lights and wiring being tested thoroughly by an expert employed by the roads.
The engine in this photograph is a 4-4-0 of the Mad River R.R. pulling a baggage/coach combination car, a railway post office car, and two coaches along a single section of track. It is traveling north from Patterson. To the right in photograph 2 is a hand car shed with the Forest switch tower behind it.
A new bulletin board for the Big Four line was indicated to go up in January, 1908. It was finally installed on 3 Mar 1908.
A spring inspection of the Pennsylvania took place on 14 Apr 1908 ... when a special train of three coaches carring 20 keen-eyed gentlemen. The union freight offices, where agent R.R. Edwards was in charge, presented the best and cleanest look it had had in year. The depot was in order as always, L.H. Heffernan being king there. The furnace and oil room of J.W. Young was spic & span, as was every inch of the interlocking apparatus in his charge. The levers, telegraph instruments, switchboards, etc., of the tower had never looked better. Every lever, shift, wire, signal, pipe, and connection was tried. Even the clock pendulum had been polished.
It seemed that during the summer months anytime the Big Four train arrived in the afternoon a drenching rain would occur and a number of exceedingly moist passengers would pile into the depot.
A new ten ton scale was placed in the union freight depot during the month of November, 1908.
Elmer Nye helped at the depot in the absence of R.R. Edwards in June, 1909.
At the depot in Forest a huge playcard was pasted the week of 27 Jun 1909 by the Pan Handle railroad authorities offering a reward of $5,000 for the arrest and conviction of the dynamiters of bridge material intended for the reconstruction of the Steubenville bridge which was in cars on a siding at Whelling, WV which was destroyed on the morning of 26 Jun 1909.
Harold Young and Louis Stondt missed arriving at the depot in Forest on 11 Jul 1909. They were returning from a long excursion train and assumed the train would be stopping in Forest. The train did not stop and they had to spend the night in Kenton.
Quite a bit of excitement occurred at the depot on the night of 27 Sep 1909 by Edw. Simpson landing a good stiff crack on the jaw of a man who showed symptoms of wanting to beat the livery firm of Simpson & Zimmerman out of the cost of a rig which he had hired the previous Saturday. The fellow who stopped the good fist, which knocked him sprawling, had been about Forest for some weeks selling a household urenail. When he got the rig he stated that he wanted to go to Kirby, but instead drove to Adrian. He left early on Saturday and returned in the afternoon on Sunday. The events arrived just before the train went east.
The connecting wire between the power station and the installed lights at the Union depot was strung 7 Jan 1910. Also the following week carpenters did some repairing at the depot.
In February, 1908 the Big Four obtained several powerful puller battleship style engines from the P. & E. branch which allowed them to pull much longer freights. Also, during that month, Cova Garver, Ralph Cline, and Robert Karrick went to Springfield to take the examination for operator on the Big Four. Ralph Cline successfully passed the telegrapher's test and was appointed to the West Chester station office between Middletown and Cincinnati.
John Speidel, a freight conductor on the Pennsylvania road, was relegated to the position of flagman in a ertrenchment shuffle of the road's management in April, 1908. Dozens were laid off. His brother, Frank Speidel, an engineer, was moved to fireman. They were promised their old jobs back once business got better.
Forest had an excursion to Cedar Point the week of the April 16, 1908. Return was delayed to Forest due to a wreck of three freight cars at the crossing at Clyde.
The Lima street crossing of the Big Four was repaired the week of May 24, 1908. It is unknown if this was general maintenance or due to some damage. The same crossing was repared again in August. The same item indicated that "using a portion of the high places to fill up the low made an improvement in the Big Four premises Friday." Could this have been filling puddles and holes?
An east bound Pennsylvania freight ran thru a flock of sheep belonging to W.B. Higgins on 2 July 2, 1908 killing six of ten sheep. Higgins' farm was located a few miles west of Forest. Albert __ and his men went to the spot and cleaned up. The M.E. ladies had a supper in the freight house the week of July 5th. They had receipts in excess of $55.
The Pennsylvania flyer was delayed about ten minutes on August 26, 1908 due to a freight train that had broken down between Dunkirk and Forest on track No. 2. They were obliged to change tracks to No. 1 in order to run around the freight. The eccentric strap on the engine gave way in the afternoon and the freight had to sit until 7 p.m. when an engine from Crestline could give it a lift.
A freight car with one set of tracks on one track and the other on another track came to grief the morning of December 10, 1908 near the Fox Elevator. The car, a loaded box car, was somewhat mashed up and had been booked for the repair shop. A Pennsylvania engine was pulling cars east on the house track and had coupled to one standing about 200 feet south of the elevator on the switch. No one saw the car making the staddle until it was dragged 75 or 80 yards off the rails, smashing the interlocking and switch apparatus and almost breaking off the steel semaphone pole. A wrecker from Crestline arrived around noon. Operator Barteldt directed the wrecked removal.
In January, 1909 agent Edwards wanted to know what North American Indian got away with one of the two new trucks used at the warehouse. Somebody probably ripped it by accidently locking it in a car and carrying it off. Accidents of that kind were frequent in the case of new trucks.
The Big Four was speeding along about a mile and a half south of Grant early on May 1, 1908 when they hit an obstruction, thought to be a freight car door. Spikes and a few damaged ties were damaged, the ties causing damage to a brake connection on the baggage car and an air pipe on one of the coaches. The next day, Wm. Ropp fell from a moving freight.
The Pennsylvania limited train instantly killed Claud Swanson at Kirby the evening of August 13, 1908 by striking him in the back. He was from North Baltimore and was working about two miles north of Kirby with John Corneally. He and two companions were walking to Kirby and did not see the flyer coming because of a freight train which was moving west.
About three o'clock in the morning on November 20, 1908, L.A. Conklin, of Forest, was awakened by the ringing of a telephone bell. Frank Lee, of Patterson, told him that a car of hay which Lafayette Woodard was loading for him was afire and burning up. Conklin immediately drove to Patterson and found the car and hay to be a complete loss. It made a very hot fire and warmed up the freight house which was not over twenty-five fee away. Dozens of people were compelled to throw water on it to keep it from burning. There was no wind and nothing else burned. It was supposed that a spark fron the engine of a fast southbound Big Four freight set the hay on fire. Conklin assessed the loss at $75.
The No. 2 train on the Toledo & Pittsburg division of the Wheeling & Lake Erie railroad east bound was derailed at the Burbank switch near Lodi causing six cars to go into a ditch with one passenger injured.
One problem with traveling on the railroads, either Big Four or Pennsylvania were the Time Card Boards. Mentioning trains going "east" and "west" got transients to ask about the direction the trains they desired to take. The Big Four board seemed to be the one most to blame. Its train did not go directly "north" or "south." They in fact went nearer in direction to "east" and "west." By March, 1909 something needed to be done about it. The editor of the paper was calling for the fix to be made soon.
J.W. Caskey was a well liked and popular passenger conductor on the Big Four railroad. He didn't live in Forest, but went to consult with a physician about problems which he'd had since an accident in 1908 at Grant when he was struck by a projection and knocked from his train sustaining serious wounds.
WILL POLICE ROAD
The Big Four has adopted the plan of other railroads, and will police it road, and take other precautions to prevent the "bumming" by the many men and boys who presist in stealing rides. Officers will be stationed in all the large cities and all offenders will be handled by law.
New regulations regarding the transporation [sic] of moving picture films going into operation Aug. 1, require that they shall be enclosed in a metal case, and that case enclosed in a wooden one. The express companies promulgated the new order of things.
In August, 1909 a new oak crossing was placed on the Pennsylvania railroad for passengers and baggage enroute to and from the north track. At the same time all of the signal poles on the Big Four were given a coat of paint.
Tull Wise was injured on his hands while he was hanling a truck at the freight house August 7, 1909. The sun was very hot that day and the truck handles became hot enough to burn blisters.
On August 14, 1909 Paul Bell's horse got scared at a freight train and threw him out of his rig.
A new floor for the freight house was planned for August or September, 1909. The flooring, oak planking, was delayed until the week of 16 Jan 1910 and was completed by the 20th.
After more than two years of service to shippers and receivers as freight agent of both the Pennsylvania and Big Four roads, R.R. Edwards resigned in December, 1909. He was succeded by Morgan G. Gemmill, an employee of the roads for 29 years. Edwards had accepted a position as traffic manager at the Dickelman Co. in Forest. Tullis Wise assumed the duties of clerk in the place of Gemmell. Employed to carry the mail and assist around the freight house was Kenneth Long, of Wharton.
When backing over the "D" rail on November 5, 1909 the engine of train 58 blocked the Big Four railroad for almost nine hours. All the trucks of the engine were off the track. The mishap made extra work for the tower since all trains on the Pennsylvania railroad had to be governed by flag signals of one road governing the flagging of the other road when the roads cross. An inspector, _ Williams of the Big Four, made an examination of the repairs on November 8.
Freight did not leave Forest December 9, 1909 due to a Big Four wreck at Springfield.
In December, 1909 the Pennsylvania backed the package local down the Col. Lindsay siding, traveling through a brand new bucking post, destroying an outbuilding and almost hitting the kitchen of the Big Four restaurant. This was the second such accident within two months.
A kicked back freight car and Wesley White's dray met up the afternoon of March 3, 1910 at the east end of the freight house. The freight car was moving and soon the dray also got a hump on itself, with the result that a wheel of the latter was broken. No body was hurt.
As a Big Four freight train was pulling out of the siding on 6 May 1910 the trucks of a box car left the rails. It was necessary to send to Grant for another engine to assist in replacing it.
The Pennsylvania railroad trackage can be seen here in the rail yard at Forest, Ohio around 1910. In the left background (looking west) is the freight house. In the right background is the depot and switchman's tower , neither of which currently exist.
For some time before January, 1910 an effort had been made by Atty. C.M. Reigle and others having the union depot opened at night for the early morning trains on the Big Four. Two of them usually arrived about 2 a.m. The matter was finally taken up with the state railroad commissioner. A letter was received by Atty. Reigle from the State Railroad Commissioner saying that he was in receipt of a letter from Supt. Bayley, of the Big Four, who stated that arrangements had been made with Night Officer Liles to open the depot for the trains mentioned for the accomodation of passangers.
On account of the recent heavy rains about two feed of water stood in the basement of the Big Four and Pennsylvania depot, no fire could be built in the furnace Monday and Tursday. Wednesday morning men were employed to pump the water out.
Not wanting to walk to Wharton, his home, and missing connections at Forest with the passenger train on April 1, 1911, Russel McEvoy, a young man returning from an Upper Sandusky teacher examination, boarded a fast freight train in Forest and when it reached Wharton leaped from it. His face and head were mangled beyond recognition, and when he partially regained his senses he crawled back to the depot and was given care.
A chicken supper and festival was held in the freight house on the evening of July 4, 1911. It was given by the ladies of the M.P. church.
On November 1, 1911 Morgan Gemmill, the local union freight agent in Forest transfered to Patterson to take the place of Edw. Gardner who had retired. Mr. Gemmill wanted more outdoor life that could be obtained at Forest. The Patterson office was smaller than the Forest office. He had been with the Big Four for 26 years prior to the move. Mr. Mohr of Springfield took his place in Forest.
A feature which made going to and from the depot in Forest in 1912 was the paving of the entire Big Four and Pennsylvania R.R. freight yards by Lambert Bros. The paving was done to get rid of bad mud holes.
One of the train hands on an east bout freight was serverely scalded by the leakage of steam of the engine, the packing of one of the stuffing boxes having blown out. The mishap occurred on January 3, 1912. The engine was to remain in Forest until repairs were made.
In 1913 representatives of eleven railroads asked the commerce committees of Congress to make an investigation of the causes of railroad accidents. Their finding was that 92% of the numbered killed were not passengers but trespassers!
Sometime on the night of May 29, 1913 a bad freight wreck occurred south of Forest near the stone quarry at McVitty. Fourteen Big Four cars piled up across the track and passenger trains were detoured from Kenton over the T. & O.C. to Dunkirk and over the Pennsylvania to Forest, and from Dunkirk to Kenton going south. Normal traffic was resumed the following night.
A bad freight wreck on the Big Four took place south of Forest near the stone quarry on May 6, 1913. Fourteen cars were piled up across the track and passenger trains were detoured from Kenton over the T.&.C. railroad to Dunkirk and over the "Pennsy" to Forest, and from Dunkirk to Kenton going south. Traffic resumed the next night.
Walter L. Weddle was the freight agent of the Pennsylvania and Big Four railroads. He won the mayoral race for Forest in November, 1915.
The Big Four Railway company was ordered to place a watchman or flagman at the W. Lima street crossing. The Pennsylvanis Railroad already had a watchman at their crossing. The order required the company to place a man provided with a proper flag and lantern so that he could attract attention of the traveling public; and that the crossing would be so watched or guarded from 7 a.m. to 7p.m. every day. This order after the Commission studied the crossing. The order was welcomed by Forest officials and citizens who had almost given up hope of the event happening. Then the Commission "smelt a mouse," and re-studied the crossing, finally deciding on abandoning the guard. An accident with an automobile later caused the Commission to reverse the latter decision. One of those watchmen was, Nate Wilcox. In September, 1925 Nate was told to vacate his post as electrical signals had been recently installed and would henceforth guide traffic at the place.
World War I stymied Forest from boosting water works but they were concerned that the railroads weren't erecting crossing gates within village limits.
A storm of almost hurricane strength separated about four inches of the freight house roof when it hit Forest in the afternoon of June 2, 1916. Agent Bogan and Don Smith watched as the roof lifted.
In February, 1916 Ralph Moore had a close call with the Big Four when the car he was driving was hit by the north bound passenger train. Moore could not hear the train as he was driving a borrowed car, the closed winter car of Dr. Swimley. The car was turned 180 degrees and coming to rest only because the train was able to stop. The Swimleys had just left the vehicle as Moore was taking it to Pfeiffer's garage.
March of 1916 found heavy rains bringing two feet of water into the basement of the Big Four and Pennsylvania depot. No fire could be built in the furnace for two days. By the third day people were employed to pump the water out.
A Big Four fireman named _ Barber was killed while he was firing on one of the engines of a double header that was pulling his train in August, 1916. It was believed that he became sleepy and sat down on the tracks falling asleep. A passenger train which was four hours late was backing and hit him on the tracks. He had been married only two weeks. Confusion had occurred from a wreck near the Herzog lime kiln causing all trains to be detoured through Dunkirk. Chas. Wyss who was a baggage master for the Big Four was promoted also in August to be "assistant maintainer" of the Big Four and Pennsylvania. Taking his place was Orville Roby who had been working on the Phillips dray line.
Earl Baker and Harry Meeks were nearly killed in November, 1917 when their car stalled on the Big Four track at Lima street. A freight train, coming too fast, colided with them. Had they not lept for their lives, they surely would have been killed. The train demolished the radiator and fenders of their machine.
Nine cars of gasoline caught fire and left the rails one and one half mile north of Forest in June, 1920 after it went through town. The wreck occurred about 11:30 a.m. The cause was unknown. The initial fire started in a tank car next to the caboose. Fifteen other cars were saved by the heroic efforts of the train crew and two other cars along with the caboose were also lost.
William Rugenstein, delivery man for the Big Four railroad, one time owned a hound dog that he wished to get rid of. As a certain means of accomplishing his object, he locked the dog in a freight car bound for Springfield, Ohio, heaved a sign of relief and went about his work, glad with the thought that he finally had got rid of that dog.
Two weeks later, Rugenstein was opening a car containing a consignment of goods from Springfield. He hear something scratching on the door.
As he opened it, out bounded three emaciated, raw-boned cur dogs. One the door of the car was written in chalk:
"See your one dog and go you two dogs better."—Indianapolis News.
In December, 1924 telephone was installed in the ticket office at the union depot so residents could check the time of trains and information concerning express.
Trucks operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad, which had been carrying package freight between Lima and Mansfield was discontinued 25 Apr 1925. protests had been made to the State Utilities Commission by Traction Companies and the commission ordered the operation discontinued.
A small blaze broke out at the Turnerized Paint Co. early morning May 14, 1925 burning away the platform around the mixing kettle. Trainmen on the Big Four discovered and reported the fire. The cause was unknown as the kettle had not been fired since the afternoon before.
Howard Conover's sedan was demolished November 12, 1925 in an attempt to cross the Big Four crossing at Dixon street. Conover was a local rural mail carrier and was struck by a northbound passenger train. Seeing what was happening Conover "proceeded to unload" and was not injured. About that same time the Big Four put in new, smooth street crossings at Lima and Dixon streets.
L.H. heffernan was the local ticket agent for the Pennsylvania and Big Four Railways. He retired in 1926 after working 52 years. He had succeeded his father, John Heffernan as agent of the Pennsylvania Ry. Co. in Forest. The father and son together served 99 years for the Pennsylvania Ry. Co.
The brick pavement in front of the freight house made a very convenient place to park automobiles during the congested traffic on Saturday nights in Forest. Agent E.J. Bogan informed Forest that the space used could continue, however, no parking would be allowed on the same spot during business hours.
20 Jun 1926 a truck on a freight car in an east bound Pennsylvania train, jumped the track about two miles west of Forest. Cross ties were damaged by the wheels for a stretch of nearly one mile and the rails were somewhat put out of line. Both section crews were called to repair the track.
On July 17, 1926 Lawrence H. Hefferman, local Freight Agent, met with his doctor, Joseph H. Wynn, M.D. about his declining health. Dr. Wynn had known him since 1894, the last two being his physician.
The Pennsylvania Railroad Co. retired Mr. Hefferman on November 1, 1926 after 52-3/12 years of service. Later, on July 28, 1928, the Western Region of the Pennsylvania Railroad wrote to Mr. Hefferman about his receiving one of the "thirty-two" buttons issued in ">recognition of appreciation of valued service" to active and retired employees of the Division.
Along with his father, John Hefferman, they had 99 years of service to the Pennsylvania Railroad with John working 47 years and Lawrence working 52 years.
When the July 20, 1927 fire caused by a tank car explosion occurred, Fred Wright took it upon himself to help divert the tragedy ... and to him goes much of the credit for saving the business section of the town from possible destructuion by fire. A Pennsylvania freight train had set fire and destroyed the depot, railroad offices and adjacent structures causing approximately $200,000 in damages before being brought under control.
Agent E.J. Bogan informed residents that Forest would have a depot to replace the one which had burned down. In the mean time there were two chairs in the freght office for the use of lady passengers awaiting trains and a fence had been build around the ruins of the old depot.
Dr. Wynn wrote to the Pennsylvania R.R. officials indicating that Mr. Hefferman's "health has been on the decline for the past two years and I believe it would be advisable for him to discontinue from active service" and be placed on the retirement list. Later that week Mr. Hefferman sent a letter to Mr. W.E. Leonard, Acting Supervisor, Ft. Wayne, IN requesting that he be placed on the retirement list after 52 years of service. At the time Mr. Hefferman was 68 years old. In his letter he recommended Mr. E.J. Bogan, Express Agent, to be the new Station Agent.
The Pennsylvania section men were called on the night of August 11, 1927 to repair the track damage by a wrecked box car on a west bound freight train four miles west of town. A journal burned off derailling the car. The cross times were damaged.
A Big Four engine was derailed August 13, 1927.
In September, 1927 agent, E.J. Bogan, informed the people of Forest it would have a depot to replace the one burned down earlier. Chairs in the freight office were to be used for lady passengers while waiting for trains. A fend had been built around the ruins of the old depot where men sat and awaited the arrival of trains.
In 1928 Sandusky was considered to be a village "avenue". For those who do not know the location of Sandusky, it is the first street south of the old Pennsylvania railroad tracks.
Forest and the surrounding area did well in collecting help materials for the Dayton, Ohio flood victims of 1929. The individuals standing around the station in the photograph below are awaiting the train to load freight cars with the materials they have collected locally to help in the relief. There are three full readily seen freight wagons with possibly more in the background.
More on the Dayton flood relief.
Charles Fredricks, son of Ralph Fredricks of Dola was struck by a Pennsylvania freight train at Dola on February 20, 1929. He was cleaning ice from the water pan used for trains to take water while running. The freight train stopped for orders, then proceded the main line, instead of the side track, where Fredericks thought it was going. The engine and fifteen cars passed over him, dragged him about three car lengths between the water pan and rail. He was taken to the Lima City hospital on another train. In the examination the doctors found no broken bones and no internal injuries.
A freight car being switched to the siding in the rear of the stores on the west side of Lima street, was sent in with too much speed on the morning of April 23, 1929. The car ran through the bumper placed at the end of the track and landed into the rear of B.F. Briggs new warehouse in the rear of Spearman's barber shop. The building was removed about seven inches off the foundation, the rear end caved in, the metal roof buckled that all seams torn loose. the floor joists were also sprung.
Harold Shaffer, of Adrian, MI, met with a painful accident in Forest in the afternoon of August 12, 1929. The accident happened in the north part of town along the Big Four Ry. near the old cement block factory. The section crew was hailed by the lad and he was brought to the office of Dr. Holtzmuller, where an examination disclosed that fact that his great toe was cut in the center and each side mashed, his shoe being cut to pieces. The boy claimed he was walking along the railroad by the side of a freight train when he stepped on a stone which rolled and threw his foot under a car wheel. The boy was visiting at the home of Oliver Ward, north of Forest.
Claren Yant was crossing the Big Four railroad at the crossing near the Standard Oil Station bulk tank when the wagon he was operating was hit on the rear wheel by a passenger train. Yant was not hurt aside from minor scrapes and bruises. He saw and heard the train and expected it to stop and crossed the track, but the train had no passengers so did not stop.
C.E. Stoope, of Van Wert, was a Pennsylvania freight brakeman who was critically injured at Kirby in the morning of February 5, 1930. His left leg was cut off above the knee and is right leg badly mangled when he was run ove by a freight car he was assisting in switching. He was rushed to Antonio hospital in Kenton, in the Bringman & Co. ambulance. The freight was engaged in setting off a bad order car on the track by the Kirby elevator. It was said that Mr. Stoope was on top of the car and after setting the hand brake attempted to climb down, but fell between the rails and then rolled out to the side, the wheels passisng over one leg and crushing the other. The engineer of the train saw Mr. Stoope's body as it rolled from beneath the car. He was carried from the track by L.R. Caldwell and O.F. Kochler and Dr. E.E. Burns, of Kirby was summoned and gave first aid. The foot was also severed on the leg that was cut off, and the bone in the other leg below the knee was badly crushed. Mr. Stoope was a married man, his family consisting of his wife and one child. He died the next afternoon at 1:15 at Antonio hospital from the injuries he sustained.
Carpenter remodeled the Big Four freight office during the week of July 19, 1931. A door was placed at the east end of the counter and latice work put up so that the office could also be used as a ticket office. Tickets in the future were to be sold at the freight office instead of in the depot eliminating one man.
A giant locomotive claimed to be the largest in the world passed thru Forest in the morning of August 9, 1930 over the Pennsylvania Ry enroute from the factory at Philidelphia to a point in Montana where it was to be put into service for the Northern Pacific railway.
E.J. Bogan began his career at Middletown in the freight office. He eventually was the freight agent at Forest in 1926 and the agent for the Big Four and Pennsylvania railroads at Forest in October, 1931 when he started on his forty-second year with the company.
After December 1, 1931 the Pennsylvania railroad and a few other railroads adopted collect and delivery service on freight. Dale Weber, drayman had contracted with Pennsylvania Ry. in November to deliver freight in Forest.
One of the largest freight wrecks for several years occurred August 28, 1933 one mile east of Kiby on the Pennsylvania Ry. A burned-off journal on a coal car on a west bound freight caused the wreck. Twelve cars were derailed and scattered over the right of way, tearing up hundreds of feet of track. Both tracks were blocked and traffic interupted until about two o'oclock in the afternoon. Fast passenger tains were detoured around the wreck via Forest, Kenton, and Marion. The cars derailed were in the center of a long freight, and altho the freight crew was somewhat shaken up, no fatalities occurred. The south or east bound track was shoved some distance off of the stone ballast, while the north track was torn out entirely for about 200 feed, and holes scooped in the ballast. Three wreck trains were called to the scend and section crews along the line were summoned for duty to repair the tracks.
On June 30, 1933 while Agent E.J. Bogan was standing at the desk near the ticket window in the freight office, he was hit in the back by a bullet from a 22 calibre cartirdge. The bullet entered the office by crashing through a pane of glass in the lower sash of a rear window in the extreme south end of the office. It then struck the hardwood top of the desk and glanced to an iron save or some other hard surface before striking Mr. Bogan in the back. The bullet was found on the floor in front of the partition near the door at the north leading into the office, from the lobby. Mr. Bogan said the bullet created a stinging sensation in his back, but the skin was not broken, nor his shirt pierced. Dale Weber, city drayman, was sitting in front of the desk struck by the bullet and observed the flying glass, but was not hit. The two hard surfaces retarded the force of the bullet before striking Mr. Bogan. One of the mashed sides fit perfectly into the hole made in the tope of the flat-top desk. Mr. Bogan wen outside and looked all around but saw no one with a gun. The supposition was that someone was shooting at a bird or a mark and the bullet was deflected when coming in contact with some hard surface. Some citizens complained about bullets being deflected and entering their homes. Shooting with rifles in the village limits waa a dangerous habit curbed by the proper officials.
R.R. Blakley, a brakeman on the Pennsylvanis Ry., local freight, met with an accident in Forest on October 26, 1933. While closing a car door, he stepped on the end of a loose plank in the freight house platform and fell. The fall resulted in the dislocation of a should blade. Dr. W.M. Brown attended the injured man.
Early in the morning of February 11, 1934 an east bound Pennsylvania Ry. freight train delayed other scheduled trains for about two hours when a broken arch bar was found on the train while ist was west of Forest.
Mr. and Mrs. D.F. Kear, of near Big Oak church, narrowly escaped death while driving to Wharton at 8:30 a.m. the morning of May 4, 1934. They were in an Overland automobile, which stalled on the New York Central tracks as a southbound freight approached. Unable to start the car Mr. Kear tried to push it from the track, but was unable to do so. The occupants ran to safety as the train struck the automobile, demonishing it. Mr. and Mr. Kear both escaped injury. Mr. Kear did not see the train coming, and when Mrs. Kear warned hime of the approaching train, he became excited and stalled the automobile on the railroad track.
Three wreck trains were called to clear a wreck of fourteen freight cards on the Pennsylvania railroad near Kirby on March 1, 1935. Both tracks were blocked. Passenger trains were detoured through Decatur and Marion over the Big Four and Erie railroads. No one was injured. The eastbound track, on which the train was traveling, was torn up for about 500 feet and the westbound track for about 150 feet. The wreck occurred at about noon a mile east of Kirby.
The afternoon of March 23, 1936 a peculiar and expensive wreck occurred in the north part of Forest on the Big Four railroad. The estimated cost of damage done being about $15,000. While a north bound freight was passing over the Pennsylvania Railroad crossing a journal on a gondola loaded with slack coal, broke, causing the car to be derailed and five other cars loaded with coal to leave the track. The car with the broken journal, left the train on the east side of the main track, and tore up several rods of siding. The car did not stop it irregular couse of destruction until it smashed into the engine on a southbound freight which was standing on the siding. The front of the engine was damaged and engine derailed. No one was injured as the engineer and fireman left the engine when they saw the coal car heading for their engine. The other cars were derailed on the west side of the main track. Traffic was tied up for several hours on the Big Four Ry. A wrecker was called from Bellefontaine and with a force of men worked all that night to clear the tracks. The wreck was still not cleard by the next night. A neighboring newspaper later wrote Tearing up nearly a block of tracks as it left the rails in Forest, a single freight car came to rest along the right-of-way, last evening as the result of a flat tire on the car.
Effective May 25, 1936, less than car load freight was picked up and delivered within the corporation of Forest by both C.C.C. & St.L. and Pennsylvania R.R. Co., without extra charge when the rate was 30 cents per hundred pounds or more. After 1 Jun 1936, passenger fares were reduced to 2 cents per mile for coach travel. Fares for pullman travel were 3 cents per mile plus cost of space occupied. The pullman surcharge was entirely cancelled.
The July 4, 1936 fireworks display took place at 10 p.m. on the Pennsylvania and Big Four freight office yard with D.L. Van Tilbury chairman of the program. Ralph Fernbaugh and Rev. Yolton were in charge of the display. Harry Peart and Harold Lehman were in charge of railway safety. J. Stanton King and Dr. Holtzmuller were in charge of fire prevention. Bert Herzog, Justine Myer, and Dr. Lutz were in charge of the general safety zone.
Sometime during the week of September 18, 1938 a freight train on the Pennsylvania Ry. became stalled two miles from Forest due to an air valve. Burk & Fox, a prominent firm in Forest with diversified activities in plumbing, electrical work, installing furnaces, developing patents, manfacturing articles patented by themselves, and light structural iron work were requested to help fix the problem. Morris Burk, of Burk & Fox, was sent to help with those repairs and the engine was completely fixed and on its way within 18 minutes.
In October, 1938 local railroad men began to notice an increase in freight traffic.
The Essinger family lived just west of the Big Four Ry. on State Route 53. Murry Essinger, son of Carl Essinger saved his little sister, Vera Mae Essinger, from be crushed beneath the wheels of a south bound freight train on the Big Four the last week of March, 1939. Seeing the danger of the girl about to be crushed, Murry ran down the lane from his house located west of the tracks, scampered up the ballast, onto the tracks, grabbed his sister, and rolled down the east side as the train whizzed by.
In April, 1939 the Pennsylvania railroad reduced local freight train service from three to two train each way each week in Forest. The Ry. company claimed it was done to conserve its coal supply due to a coal strike.
At one time all passenger trains on both roads stopped at Forest. By 1940 Forest had no railroad passenger service or bus service to Kenton. The Big Four Ry. picked up and delivered freight for Kenton but no passengers. After 25 Mar 1940 the New York Central Ry. (Big Four) resumed the pick up and delivery of freight the same as was done by the Pennsylvania Ry. Passenger fares on the Big Four would be 2¢ per mile for travel in coaches according to C.M. Ewing, the train agent.
During 1941 it was estimated that over 50 trains daily passed through Forest over the Pennsylvania Ry.
A 1,000 pound blown-out cylinder head from a west bound freight train fell on the track of the Pennsylvania Railroad on the outskirts of Dunkirk the night of 9 Nov 1941 wrecking the Chicago-New York flyer and killing 12 person and injuring nearly 50 more. The locomotive and seven of eight coaches were left as twisted steel.
In May, 1942 the Pennsylvania Ry. Co. discontinued local freight train service to rerlease more entines for through freight service. Freight was delivered via Pennsylvania trucks.
One freight train gondola loaded with 50 tons of pig iron was derailed the night of September 2, 1942 at around 11 p.m. on the Pennsylvania road. A broken journal was later reported as the cause for the derailment. The gondola was the twenty-first car from the rear on the westbound freight when the accident happened just west of the Big Four junction. A wrecking crew from Crestline repaired the damage.
For many years when trains used to stop in Forest, the citizens clamored for a depot. Now when the trains (with the exception of a few) fail to stop here, we have a nice little depot. Ain't that just the way things go in this life. Forest is also a busless town.
An effortwas made in September, 1944 by Mayor King to have the Pennsylvania Ry. Co. return to the Village the lot previously given the railroad to build a passenger depot. The depot was not built. The Village considered only leasing the lot if it could not be returned. The lots location was just west of the Burk & Fox factory and was needed for a public parking lot for the Village.
R.M. Moeper, Supt. of the Ft. Wayne division of the Pennsylvania Ry., gave the R. Burt Jaquith a pleasant call on Thursday afternoon, 5 Sep 1947. In that conversation Jaquith asked Roeper why that railroad had discontinued the last train that stopped in the Village. Roeper replied that the people did not seem to want the train as only five tickets had been sold in Forest for the train and that the railroad company could not afford to stop a train for that amount of patronage. When informed that the Review was unable to get office space due to an earlier fire Roeper indicated that the newspaper could use the depot.
Girls in the gay nineties went to the depot at train time to flirt with traveling men and to see who got on and off the trains. Burt Jaquith wondered if that were the reason for the trains finally to quit stopping at Forest. At one time tickets were sold to Pennsylvania riders at the Forest City House office and tickets for the Big Four at the Scott House because there wasn't a depot. Now Forest has a depot but no trains stop here, and there are no hotels.
The Pythian Sisters served the District Auxillary of the Railroad Clerks on May 14, 1949 at the K. of P. hall. In attendance were Mary Burk, Clara Hune, Bertha Campbell, Minnie Peart, and Minnie Naus.
Can you remember when trains at the crossing of the Pennsylvania and New York Central Railroads were signaled by manual instead of electrical signals? We do! Gates were pulled across the tracks by a man with a long iron rod attached to the gate, the rod being fastened onto a hook in a cross tie. At the top of these gates was a red light to be used at night. The last gate watchman we can remember in Forest was a one-armed man named Nate Brooks, whose headquarters was a shanty by the side of the tracks.
Burt Jaquith, editor of the Forest Review wrote this in a his column of June 4, 1954:
THE MAPLETOFT BURGLARY
Suspicion attaches to two men who were observed about town during the evening and who took the 2:30 Big Four train south, the same night. The friends of night-watchman, Michael Lockard, are quietly joking him because of the fact that he flagged the train for these supposed burglars, thus helping them make their getaway.
The signal gong and the crossing watchman installed by the railroads entering Forest were all right once upon a time. So was the log school house, the tallow dip and the nail that held up the pants by way of the suspenders. But today it is railroad crossing gates, the only plan ever devised that will really safeguard human life where steel rails carry monster trains at 60 miles per hour.
The Gormley street watchman reported for work at 7:00 a.m. each morning. In 1955 the Gormley street crossing was one of the main thoroughfares leading to the National Automotive Fibres plant. People were concerned the watchman did't start his shift early enough. They believed that he should report at 6:00 a.m., or earlier, and stay on the job until after the last day's shift had let out. An appeal was made to the Pennsylvania Railroad for the additional watchman service at Gormley street crossing located next to the Forest Grain and Supply elevator. A check was made that nearly 300 persons used the crossing in a ninety minute window ending at 7:30 a.m. The railroad company suggested a shift forward of one hour for the watchman's hours of duty to protect the morning workers, but would take one hour from the night shift and leave them completely without a watchman service.
In 1955 Harry Thompson, a veteran
The crossing watchman had to look for trains in all kinds of weather. In fog, rain, snow, ice, and wind the men, with a personal interest in the welfare of the citizens, performed the little 'beyond-the-line-of-duty" tasks that afforded not only a means of warning to the motorist and pedestrian but also the satisfaction of adequate protection against the howling horses of iron which traveled at high speed through the town of Forest.