ain Street, Whartonsburg.
This is a very early photograph taken of Whartonsburg, probably 1866. Perportedly it is the 1st photograph of Wharton. The individuals in this photograph are standing on the north side of Sandusky Street and facing west. The U.S. Gazetteer of 1854 lists the village as: Whartonsburg, Ohio, a post-village of Wyandot Co., Ohio, on the Mad River and Lake Erie railroad, about
60 miles S.W. from Sandusky.
|McClelland & Vogel Co.|
cClelland & Vogel Co.
The William McClelland blacksmith shop was formerly the old school house which was moved across the street from its original location. The date of this photograph is unknown, but probably dates after 1890. McClelland admitted William K. Vogel into partnership in 1882 to form the McClelland & Vogel Company for blacksmithing and wagon making. Fred Weber, a tin smith, may have worked with them during that time.
McClelland was married to Mary Catherine Bernheisel and had two children; Orrin Odel McClelland and Iva Pearl McClelland. Mary was the daughter of Henry Bernheisel and Susanna Snyder, both born in Ohio. William's father was, David McClelland, and his mother, Martha McClelland.
William Vogel was a widower with three children; Joseph Vogel, Jennete Vogel, and Mary Vogel. William K. Vogel married Elizabeth Vogel.
Fred Weber wasn't married.
In the photograph from left to right are: J. Homer Lutz, Elem Rummel (blacksmith), & Ross Fernbaugh. There was a John Rummel who was a blacksmith in 1880 at New Middleton, Mahoning Co., Ohio and who had a son, William H. Rummel. He was also a blacksmith and may be related to Elem Rummel.
|Vogel Blacksmith Shop|
ogel Blacksmith Shop.
William K. Vogel's old blacksmith shop in Wharton is seen on the left. Left to right are: Em Brown's horse, (Carlo) Wood's dog at the extreme left in front of the horse, Austin V. Shuman, a wagon maker (b. 1866, OH), Em Brown (farmer), Elem Rummell (blacksmith), Jim Drider (laborer), W.K. Vogel (blacksmith & owner) holding his dog, "Fannie", then farmers; Ralph W. Boden, (b. 1857, OH) & Frank Williams.
Frank is standing in front of his horse and buggy. On the porch above, left to right, are: Paul Secrist and Jim Shumaw; both students. Ralph's father, David Boden, was the brother-in-law of Mary A. Spidel.
|South from the Elevator.|
The high school is centered in the background with Main street located in the foreground.
|Southeast from the Elevator|
These photographs were taken on July 11, 1910 from the top of the elevator. The church, visible at the center of the photograph, is believed to be a Methodist church. It may not be the same Methodist church present today. The other photograph was taken while the photographer was facing south from the top of the elevator. The buildings in the background of the larger photograph are also in another photograph found here.
raxler Bros. (c1923).
The Traxler Bros., International Harvester dealers in Wharton with their "new" truck, purchased in 1923 or 1924. The Traxler Bros. were International Harvester dealers in Wharton. The man on the left is unidentified, but may be, Seth G. Kear, father of Russel H. Kear (b. 1901, OH), who is seated on the fender next to him. Seated also is Elmer Mickey. Standing by the front wheel is Ed Kirby. The boy on the rear of the truck is Gerald. The individuals in the background are the town's marshal, Henry Liming, Grover W. Traxler (b. 25 Feb 1886, Nevada, OH) and Fredrick John Traxler (b. 16 Jun 1890, Nevada, OH). At one time, Fred was a teacher for the Nevada school board. Russel Kear eventually became a lawyer. His father was Seth G. Kear (b. 1883, OH) worked as a grain elevator laborer.
The Grange in Wharton with a "Mohre & Bristol Dry Goods" sign. L.R. Mohre and W.A. Bristol operated the store in Wharton where they sold groceries, boots, shoes, and other dry goods. W.A. lived with Michael Herwick and Elizabeth Herwick. Michael made shoes. L.R. lived with his wife, Elma Mohre, who was a milliner in the store. The photograph was probably taken in the 1880s. The building was destroyed by a fire in June, 1923.
|Kear, Huston & Kear|
ear, Hueston, and Kear.
This photograph of Kear, Huston, & Kear hardware and farm implements was probably taken during the 1890s. The sign on the building reads, "High Grade Buggies, Kear, Huston & Kear, Wharton, O." Loaded on the buggy is a stove; probably to be delivered. No additional information is known about this business.
The church was built in 1881. This photograph was taken in the 1920s. Though it can not be seen here, the elevator is within view of the church. The church is quite visible from the top of the elevator. You would expect that the elevator could be seen from the church.
Peter P. Welty purchased the elevator at Wharton, formerly owned and operated by E.L. Cosgrove and conducted business thereafter. Mr. Welty was an honest, energetic man who received a good patronage from all over the community. He ran the business on a strictly cash basis and anyone in need of flour, coal or grain, called on him.
The first annual Farmers' Institute was held at the Wharton Methodist Episcopal church in Wharton on December 12 and 13, 1910.
.C. Hochstettler & Sons.
J.C. Hochstettler & Sons ran a grain, feed, seed, and fertilizer business in Wharton. They also carried coal and were "A Good Place to Buy and Sell."
The Wharton Bank was a member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation handling commercial and savings accounts which they solicited.
Corbin sold and serviced Chevorlet cars and trucks, but "We Repair All Makes of Cars." They had been in business for twelve years by 1937. They also sold and serviced Schult trailers and outboard motors.
A.R. Cramer was the proprietor of the Wharton hardware. He carried general hardware, paints, implements and electrical supplies. On 13 Mar 1878 the hardware store was robbed, along with the postoffice.
asset & Alvater.
R.A. Passet and Glen F. Alvater raised a flock of Shropshire sheep. The flock was established in 1912. Passet & Alvater were located two miles southeast of the village of Wharton.
illage News, 1994.
In March of 1994 the Warton Village Council published the first issue of the "Village News" newsletter. The newsletter was to help to improve communication between the village council and the local residents of Wharton. It was to be published quarterly. No other such documents are known making the newsletter unique.
Referenced in the newsletter are: Harold Baker, Christine Coe, Nancy Grubbs, Marilee Sloan, Herbert Baker, Jr., Ed Kauble, Faye Walters, Forret Bacon, Ralph Fields, John Park, Bily Rickle, Jr., Jerry Huston, Art Phelps, Mike Wheeler and Ron Metzger.
|Lima News (Lima, OH) Aug 1946.|
In the photograph on the left you are looking east along Main Street during the "Centennial" of August 9-11, 1946, Wharton, Ohio.
|Main Street with inset.|
ain Street, Wharton, O.
There are four individuals standing on the board walk in this photograph of Wharton's main street. The three individuals who might be identifiable are unknown.
Another early photograph of the same buildings, taken from the top the grain elevator, is shown below. The elevator may not have existed at the time the right photograph was taken. In the elevator photograph the men would be standing in front of the building hidden by two tall trees.
|Main Street from the Tower.|
riel of Wharton Businesses.
The photograph shown below is of Wharton circa 2002.
The list which follows the photograph represents Wharton's business community between 1940 and 1960. If you have any information about anything on the list which pertains to the businesses of the period between 1940 and 1960 please email the Society .
It is believed that lots 6-9 had businesses on them at the time though this has not been confirmed.
|Aerial View of Wharton|
AERIAL MAP LEGEND
Note: If you have information about any of the items listed please contact the Society .
1. Shoe shop. Not shown to the right was a barber shop then a bank.
3. Community building
4. Post Office (original location) Later P.D. Lehman's Corner Market.
5. Originally the I.O.O.F. building. Later Walter's plumbing
10. Restaurant (earlier it was a saloon)
11. Clover farm store
18.(currently part of Martin's Service Station)
19. Secrest garage (currently Martin's Service Station)
20. hardware store (currently The Gridiron Bar and The Print Shop)
22. Vogel Variety store
23. Brown grocery store