Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

EARLY HISTORY OF
THE VILLAGE OF DELTA

 

Excerpt from

HISTORY OF Fulton County, Ohio

 

By George P. Monagon

and George M. Liscombe 
published in 1877

 

Mr. E. L. Waltz, editor and proprietor of the Delta Avalanche, who has been looking into the early history of Delta, furnished the following facts pertaining to the early settlement:

4 pages of 1876 Delta Avalanche came from

American Antiquarian Society
185 Salisbury Street
Worcester, Massachusetts 01609-1634

Tel.: 508-755-5221

Fax: 508-753-3311
library@americanantiquarian.org

Click page to view, files are large and may take some time to load

It is generally conceded that the first settler here, or what was then called the " Six Mile Woods" was a Mr. Meeker, who hewed away a place for his residence where S. H. Cately now lives.  This was in the fall of 1833.  In the spring of 1834 he was followed by others; Mr. William Fewlas and his brother, hailing from Long Island, New York, took up residence here, where Mr. William Fewlas yet resides.

James McQuillin was the first to settle on the site where the village of Delta now stands, sometime during the year 1834.  His cabin stood near where the Presbyterian Church now stands, who also erected a saw mill on the creek, not far from the residence of H. E. Bassett.

From the best information at hand, we learn that the present business portion of Delta was never platted but was staked out in lots and sold to the purchasers in such size lots as was desired, and afterwards sold the location for streets. In later years numerous additions have been regularly laid out and recorded.

The mercantile business of Delta.  And among some of the early tradesman were George Robinson, a brother of Mrs. M. H. Butler, who was the first man to bring a stock of goods to this vicinity. Meeker and Lewis were the first men to bring a stock of goods and sell them on the ground where Delta now stands, their store was kept in a cabin that stood where the Centennial Hotel stands. Daniel Cummings was the next to embark in the mercantile trade. Dr. White put up the building now occupied by M.H. Butler and put in it what was then called a good store.  John Kennedy next comes on the scene with a small store in a part of the building now occupied  as a residence by Dr. Ramsey.  Mr. Gates now of Delta, soon became a partner of Mr. Kennedy and from the little shops here mentioned have grown the business that is now seen in the village of Delta.

The growth of the village has been rather slow, as the country was new, and roads bad until about the year 1850, when a plank road was laid from here to Toledo.  Following this a large flouring mill was erected, and large brick blocks have taken the place of round log cabin, and instead of the plank road we find the Air Line Division of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad, and instead of the hamlet in the woods, we find a beautiful village of fifteen hundred inhabitants, adorned with churches, schools, and fine residences.  Delta has the reputation of being the best market place in the County.

The first election held in the eastern part, if not in the whole County, was held on the Williams farm, two miles east of Delta.  It is said by Mr. Fewlas that he went to the election, but the Judges were out in the woods hunting bee trees, consequently he did not vote.

On a petition of sixty residents of Delta, the village was incorporated, August 3rd, 1863.  At the election the following officers were elected: Mayor, William Critzer; Clerk, Chas.  Cullen; Members of Council, D. H. Pettys, J. T. Gates, A. M. Carpenter, O. T. Clark, and  Simon Zimmerman.

 

 
 

Delta in 1867 as published in

"Brown's Gazetteer of the Michigan Southern Railroad"


 

Interesting information as to the business section of Delta is contained in "Brown's Gazetteer of the Michigan Southern Railroad" for the year 1868, the compilation thus presumably having been made in 1867. Summarizing the village, as then developed, the "Gazetteer" stated that: "Delta contains a population of about 2,000 There are many good farmers, yet they have not arrived to that perfection of those alone; the main line. "Of mill* there are 1 flour mill, 1 saw mill, 1 shingle mill, 1 tannery, 1 pearl ashery, 1 brick yard, 1 hotel, and about 18 stores of all kinds. Nearly three years ago it was discovered that oil could be had here by boring for it. At length a company was organized and operations commenced. After arriving at a depth of 275 feet they struck oil, coming to the top, meanwhile their tools became fast, and unable to extricate them, they were forced to abandon their enterprise, for want of energy and means. In its present condition, enough water flows from it to drive, or rather supply one steam flour mill. At a later date, the citizens, by subscription, have succeeded in boring, and have an excellent artesian well at a depth of 70 feet. This supplies the public highway with water. Churches there are three, Episcopal Methodist, Protestant Methodist, and Presbyterian; the two latter are about erecting a large brick house for worship. Of schools, little can be said praiseworthy, except that all are schooled; $5,000 have been raised towards erecting a new brick school building to be a graded school. Delta is a great stave station, manufacturing and shipping a large amount, some of which go to New York and Europe. Eggs and butter come next, as one of the principal exports. Of eggs alone, Messrs. Moore and Howard ship from 60 to 80 barrels every week during the season, averaging 80 dozen to the barrel.

The directory showed that:


Charles Cullin was the proprietor of the Delta Flour Mill, on Mill Street;

J. T. Gates and William S. Schlappi conducted the Saw Mill and Pearl Ashery;
John M. Hall ran the Shingle Mill, and was also a Split Seat Chair Maker;
Bates and Miller were the Tanners
John H. Sheffield was the Brick Maker
Christopher M. Watkins was Landlord of Watkins' (or the Exchange) Hotel, on Main, corner Adrian streets;

 

The following were

Grocers, or General Store Keepers:
J. Allman and Co.;
Wm. Baker,
Abner P. Brainard,
Chas. Canfield,
Orris V. Crosby;
Chas. W. Hatton,
Wm. R. Huntington,
Jacob Huth,
Alex G. Montgomery,
John R. Parker,
Jas. W. Patterson,
Calvin Taylor,
John S. Trowbridge,
Richard M. Watkins

Druggists
Frank Briggs,
W. B. Brinkham
Dr. Wm. Ramsey, the three trading as Brinkham, Briggs and Company;
Jas. W. Hatton; Brinkham. Briggs and Company also dealt in tinware, and stoves;
Thomas Martin in the same;
 

Hoop Skirt Manufacturer

Miss Helen Masker

 

Dealing in millinery and straw goods
Mrs. J. M. Butler,

Mrs. Mary Hancock,

Miss Millie O. Merrill,

Mrs. S. J. Stillson

 

Saddlers
Brinkham

Kohl 

 

Wagon Makers
Michael Carr

Simon Zimmerman

 

Painter
J. N. Cleland


Partnership as blacksmiths

Chas. C. Crile and Henry H. Reighard

 
Other Blacksmiths being
Geo. E. Elwell and Co.,
Wm. Matley


Village barber
Wm. H. Garrison

 

Postmaster
Rufus S. Merrill


Station Agent

J. Denham Mosey


Attorneys

D. W. Poe

L. H. Upham 


Physicians
S. P. Bishop,

John Odell,

Wm. Ramsey, (Dr. Ramsey being listed as physician for county)
W. S. Webb


Miles S. Pray was a Watchmaker
Ansel Pease a Butcher
Peter Hancock, a Cooper
Daniel Lilly a Shoemaker
Lyman Riley, a Marble Worker
N. H. Simmon a Stave and Lumber Dealer
Wm. W. Williams the Owner of a Billiard Saloon

(There apparently was not a drinking saloon in Delta at that time)

 
   
   
 
   
   

 

Maps of Delta

   
   
 

History of Methodist Episcopal Church

Delta Area 1856-1913

(1914 date is mentioned in book?)

   
   
 

UNDERGROUND RAILROAD OF NORTHWEST OHIO
The
Rev. William King  Family settled in Northwest Ohio south

of Delta, Ohio in 1834 with his parents and siblings

   
 

Calendar of Sesquicentennial Events

Click Here


 

Table of Contents Outline

 


Links to Other Pages


 

 

 

Sesquicentennial Committee Appreciation Page

 

 

 

Early Delta History

 

 

 

Delta Park History

   
 

Delta Photos of the Past

   
 

1860 Federal Census list for Village of Delta

with other facts and biographical information of the early settlers

   
 

Mary Augusta WOOD

First child born in village of Delta

   
 

Delta Antique Building Collapses

June 2008

   
 

BACK TO HOMEPAGE

   
   
   
 

This Page Was Last Modified Thursday, 18-Oct-2012 15:09:45 MDT
Maintained by Mark Lozer, webmaster.
Send E-mail to: lozer@fulton-net.com