October 1954, during Cliff Segrist’s
term as Mayor of Delta, an option was taken to buy a 23 acre parcel on
Taylor Street, from Mrs. Lonie Pray for $10,000. Fund raisers, donations
and a kick-off dinner sponsored by the Aetna Grange, the $10,000., was
raised within 10 months. August 22, 1955 Delta purchased the farm land for
our Delta Park.
January of 1955 Bill Gory, Alfred Reighard, and Carl
Bratton met with the Village Council to suggest a pool as the first
project. On February 29, 1956 the H. J. Heinz Company, which had a
weighing and receiving station for tomatoes at the corner of Fernwood and
Taylor Streets deeded their 2 acre parcel of land to the Village. The land
housed a scales, platform, inspection station and loading facilities, and is
located next to the 23 acre parcel. Today this serves as a parking area for
those using the park and school activities. A shelterhouse was later built
and serves as a concession stand and restrooms during the football season.
Swimming pool was built in 1958, and opened in 1959 at a cost of just over
Eventually the Wildwood Shelter House was
moved to the new Delta Park.
To promote the park, a representative group
of citizens was formed, one from each organization and church in and around
Delta and was called “Recreation Council”.