Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 



Brief History and location of the Cemetery.
Cemeteries Are Listed Alphabetically, For Quicker Access
Select the Beginning Letter of Cemetery Desired
or Click to Download a printable Adobe pdf formatted Cemetery List

A
B C D E F G H J K
L M  N  O P R S T W Z

Click Here for Other Names, Formerly/Also Known As


Click Here to Go to Gravestone Post
a page where you can have gravestone pictures posted


CLICK on the cemetery name in the table below to go to a grave
marker listing for that cemetery,  unless it is marked  "(NO CEMETERY LISTING)"
NOTE:  Cemetery Registers were  done in 1986

Also searchable by SURNAME
Volume I surname index (Western Fulton County)

Volume II surname index (Eastern Fulton County)




AECHLIMAN CEMETERY
Clinton Township

Location: The Aeschliman Cemetery is located one mile south of Pettisville, on the north side of County Road C, between TR 18 and County Road 19. (SW 1/4 SE 1/4 Sec 31, T7N R6E) 

History: The cemetery is located along the old Archbold-West Barre Road on land deeded to Peter Aeschliman in 1841. In 1874 acreage was deeded to the trustees of the Mennonite Church to be used as a burial ground.



AI CEMETERY
Fulton Township

Location: The Ai Cemetery is located north of County Road L, west of Township Road 4, in the village of Ai. (SE 1/4 Sec 4, T10S, R4E) 

History: The Ai Cemetery occupies land deeded by the U.S. to Thomas Vaughn in 1834. The first burial was that of Alexander Boyd who died in 1837. This burial as well as a few other early burials are no longer identified by a marker. 



AMBOY CEMETERY
Amboy Township

Location: The Amboy Township Cemetery is located south of the village of Metamora at the northeast corner of the intersection of State Route 64 and County Road S.  (SW 1/4, Sec 14, T9S, R4E.) 

History: The cemetery occupies land purchased from the United States by James  Hallet, Jr. in 1835.  Burials commenced at an early date and one tombstone predates purchase and settlement of land in this area.  In 1865 the Labounty Cemetery, as it was first known, was transferred to the Trustees, Amboy Township.  Additional land was added in 1884 and 1909 with the grantors being J. Labounty, Jas. Robinson and Rodney Taylor.  The cemetery contains about eight acres with purchases made in 1935 and 1975.  The 1975 addition was purchased from Peter Simon. 



ARCHBOLD CEMETERY AND 
REFORMED CHURCH CEMETERY
German Township

Location: the Archbold Cemetery is located at the south edge of Archbold, on the east side of SR 66 (S. Defiance Street), and north of Township Road B (SW 1/4 Sec 4, T6N R5E) 

History: The burial ground occupies land deeded to R. McConnell in 1840. Early records for the cemetery have not survived but is it believed the burial ground was established in 1872. In 1875 and subsequent years, additional land was purchased to bring the cemetery to its present size. The village of Archbold obtained control of the cemetery in 1882. Adjoining the Archbold cemetery on the north is the older St. John's Burial ground. 



ARCHBOLD DEFENSELESS MENNONITE/RUPP CEMETERY
German Township

Location: The Rupp Cemetery is located east of Archbold, along the south side of County Road C, and east of Township Road 21-3. (NW 1/4 Sec 3, T6N R5E) 

History: The Rupp Cemetery is located on land settled by Christian Rupp. In 1880 the Defenseless Mennonite Congregation built a brick church on land purchased from Jacob Rupp on the north side of the road. At about the same time, land was obtained from Christian Rupp on the south side of the road to be used as a cemetery. 



AYERS CEMETERY
Dover Township

Location: They Ayers Cemetery is locates southwest of Tedrow, on the north side of Township Road HJ, east of county Road 19 (NE 1/4 Sec 6, T7N R6E) 

History: Burials commenced ca 1838 at the Ayers Cemetery, the first burial site in Dover Township. 




BAYES CEMETERY
Clinton Township

Location: The Bayes Cemetery is located on the south side of County Road F, west of Wauseon, east of the intersection with Township Road 16. (NW 1/4 Sec 22, T7N R6E) 

History: The Bayes Cemetery is located on land obtained by J.W. Bayes in 1838. Burials at this site began at an early date. In 1855 Jas. W. And Eliza Bayes transferred the cemetery to the cemetery trustees. The trustees relinquished control to the Clinton township trustees in 1867. Land was added to the cemetery after 1900. 



BECK CEMETERY
German Township

Location: The Beck Cemetery is located two miles east and one-half mile south of Burlington on the east side of County Road 21.  (W1/2, Sec 14, T7N, R5E.) 

History: The cemetery occupied land deeded to Christian Beck in 1834.  The first burials were made before 1850 and it is possible some unmarked graves exist in the cemetery.  West, across the road, is found the Wyse Cemetery. 



BERKEBILE CEMETERY
York Township

Location: The Berkebile burial ground is located southwest of Delta, on the west side of Township Road 10, between County Road F and Township Road E. (NE 1/4 Sec 21, T7N, R7E) 

History: Berkebile Cemetery is on land deeded to A. Doolittle in 1834. Burials soon followed and in 1838 the cemetery was transferred to the York Township trustees. 



BUTLER CEMETERY
Chesterfield Township

Location: The Butler Cemetery is located southwest of Oakshade, on the west side of County Road 16, and south of US 20. (NE 14 Sec 28, T9S R4E)

History: The U.S. Government deeded land to Harlow Butler in 1835 and the following year the Butler family became the fourth family to settle in Chesterfield township. In that same year, the first burial was made at the corner of the farm on grounds that became known as the Butler Cemetery. In 1866, Harlow and Mary Butler deeded the cemetery grounds to the trustees of Chesterfield township. 




COLTER CEMETERY
Clinton Township
(NO CEMETERY LISTING)

Location: Was on the north side of Ridge Rd, east of DTI RR tracks. (Sec 2, T7N R6E) 
It was abandoned in 1954 and no listing of those buried there is known. 

History: Also called Kline Cemetery. 




DUTCH RIDGE CEMETERY
Fulton Township

Location: The Dutch Ridge Cemetery is located three-quarter mile south of Lytton, on the west side of Township Road 5, one-quarter mile north of County Road M. (SE 1/4 Sec 32, T9S, R4E) 

History: The ground occupied by the cemetery was deeded to B. Poorman in 1835.  The first burials were made before 1850. In 1866 a Reformed Zions Kirche was built across the road to the south. The cemetery was placed under appointed trustees in 1873 and in 1925 the site became the responsibility of the township trustees. 




ECKLEY AMISH CEMETERY
German Township

Location: The Eckley Mennonite Cemetery is located southeast of Burlington, on the west side of County Road 20, between US Alt 20 and County Road F. (SE 1/4 Sec 14, T7N, R5E) 

History: The graveyard is located on land deeded to David Stutzman in 1834. Burials commenced soon after and in 1858 trustees for the Amish Burying Ground purchased the site from Joe and Mary Stutzman. The Amish Burying Ground became the Eckley Mennonite Cemetery and is known to many as the Eckley Cemetery. Early burial records are unavailable, however it is believed the cemetery contains many unmarked graves. 



EDGAR/JORDAN CEMETERY
Royalton Township

Location: The Jordan Cemetery is located southeast of the village of Lyons, on the north side of Township Road RS, west of State Route 109. (SE 1/4 Sec 22, T9S R3E) 

History: The cemetery is located on land deeded to H.C. Jordan in 1833. The burial ground was established at an early date when Mrs. Brown, the mother of the wife of Henry Jordan, was interred.  Cemetery trustees took responsibility of the property. The graveyard has also been known as the Edgar Cemetery. 



ELY/ PRESBYTERIAN CEMETERY
Franklin Township

Location: The Ely Cemetery is located on the east side of County Road 27-1, 70 rods north of County Road L. (SE 1/4, Sec 2, T10S, R1W) 

History: In 1852 the area Presbyterians built a house of worship along the road known as the Brunersburg, Evansport and Lockport Turnpike, north of the Angola Road, on land obtained from John H. Fisher and Benjamin Persing. 

In 1855 the church trustees purchased land south of the church to be used as a burial site. This grave yard, first known as the Mt. Salem Cemetery, has for many years been called the Ely Cemetery. However, the DAR cemetery listings refer to this cemetery as the Presbyterian Cemetery, thus the heading for this burial ground. 

The first buried at the cemetery was Albe Thompson who died 19 Jun 1855 at the age of 20 years and 10 days. In 1984, no marker was found for Albe Thompson. Some markers in the cemetery show death dates before 1855 and it is surmised that these mark graves moved from other burial sites.  he Presbyterian Church closed in 1898 and the building was dismantled. 




FLUHART CEMETERY
York Township

Location: The Fluhart Cemetery is located northeast of Wauseon, on the east side of County Road 13 and north of US 20 Alt. (SW 1/4 Sec 7, T7N R7E.) 

History: The graveyard is on land deeded to Wm. Jones in 1835. Burials commenced at an early time and for some years it was known as the McClarren Cemetery. In 1845 the land was deeded to cemetery trustees. The burial ground is now under control of the York Township trustees. 



FOWLER CEMETERY
York Township
(NO CEMETERY LISTING)

Location: On east side of County Road 10, south of County Road E across road from a school. (NW 1/4 Sec 27, T7N R7E) 

History: This cemetery was copied by the DAR, but was not included in Tombstone Inscriptions, Fulton County, Ohio, Volume II, by the Fulton Chapter, OGS. The cemetery is now abandoned. All but Michael Eberly, Ann and Elizabeth Fowler and Henry and Mary Snyder are now located at Berkebile Cemetery. 



FULTON COUNTY INFIRMARY
Dover Township

Location: The County Home Cemetery is located on the north side of County Road J, east of County Road 14, in the village of Ottokee, (SW1/4, Sec 36, T8N, R6E.) 

History: The Fulton County seat of government. First located at Ottokee, moved to Wauseon in 1872.  Two years later the former county office buildings, along with additional acreage, became the county infirmary.  A small burial ground was set aside for deceased inmates who had neither family nor means to provide for burial.  No grave markers are found at this cemetery and no separate record of burial has been located.  The old infirmary or county home ledgers now kept at Detwiler Manor, Wauseon, reveal that eight former inmates of the home are likely buried at this location.  Ity is possible that others are buried there. 



FULTON UNION CEMETERY
Fulton Township

Location: The Fulton Union Cemetery is located approximately four miles west of Swanton, on the south side of Township Road JH, between County Road 5-2 and Township Road 5. (SE 1/4 Sec 5, T7N, R8E.) 

History: The Fulton Union Cemetery occupies land deeded to John Viers in 1834. The first burial was Mrs. Harris, wife of William H., Harris, who died in 1836. The burial ground was first known as the Viers Cemetery. Since 1860 the cemetery has been the responsibility of the Fulton Township trustees. 




GOLL CEMETERY
German Township

Location: The Goll Cemetery is located one mile south and three and one-half miles west of the village of Burlington, in the Goll Woods Nature Park. The three-quarter acre burial ground is east of Township Road 26. (NE 1/4 Sec 23, T7N R4E) 

History: Peter and Catherine Goll emigrated to Ohio from Grand-Charmont, Doub, France in 1836. They settled on Sections 23 and 24 of German Township, near the Tiffin River, and at an early date the family set aside a sandy knoll in the woods as a burial ground. The first buried at the cemetery was a small child whose name is no longer known. In 1865, Florence Goll Louys deeded the cemetery to the German Township Trustees. 



GREENLAWN CEMETERY
York Township

Location: Greenlawn Cemetery is located in the west part of Delta, north of Main Street and west of Adrian Street. (SW 1/4 Sec 12, T7N, R7E.) 

History: The Greenlawn Cemetery is on land once owned by J.M. and Grace Longnecker. It was used at an early time by the German Baptist Society and a Mrs. Doolittle is recorded by one historian as the first buried in this cemetery. 




HAWLEY CEMETERY
Chesterfield Township

Location: The Hawley Cemetery is located northwest of Oak Shade, on the west side of County Road 16 and north of Township Road T. (SE 1/4 Sec 9, T9S, R2E) 

History: The Hawley Cemetery is located on land deeded to Thomas Hawley in 1834. The earliest marker dates from 1840, but it is likely that some were buried here before that time. In 1865 the Hawley family deeded the burial grounds to the trustees of the Chesterfield Township Cemetery Association and is, in 1986, under control of the township trustees. 



HUBELL/HUBEIL CEMETERY
York Township
(NO CEMETERY LISTING)

Location: On County Road FG at Railroad tracks near County Road F. (Sec 14, T7N R7E) 

History: No monument or other marking except the GAR marker placed there by the veterans organization. Records in the Courthouse in Wauseon, indicate a soldier of the War of 1812 is buried here. (Note from the DAR) 




JOHNSON CEMETERY
German Township

Location: The Johnson Cemetery is located on the south side of US 20 Alt., east of the Tiffin River, one and one-half miles west of Burlington. ( E ½ Sec 7, T7N R5E) 

History: The cemetery is located on land granted to P. Evans in 1834. William Johnson acquired the property in 1836 and the first burials were soon to follow. William and Margaret Johnson deeded the cemetery to the Burial Ground Association in 1854. The burial ground is today the responsibility of the German Township Trustees. 




KEEN CEMETERY
Swan Creek Township

Location: The Keen Cemetery is l ocated southeast of Delta, on the west side of County Road 5-2 between County Road D and Township Road E. NW 1/4 Sec 29, T7N R8E) 

History: The Keen Cemetery is on land deeded by the government to John Pray. In 1855 the burial ground was transferred to the township trustees. The name comes from the Keen family that owned land near the cemetery. 



KING CEMETERY
York Township

Location: The King Cemetery is located south of Delta, on the east side of SR 109, a few rods south of the intersection with County Road F. (NE 1/4 Sec 24, T7N R7E) 

History: John King of Ireland purchased acreage south of the present day Delta in 1834. The King family settled on the land in 1835 and by 1839, possibly earlier, they set aside a small plot to be used as a burial ground. The King farm served as a stop on the underground railroad for several years. In 1984 the cemetery was found in very poor condition. The cemetery probably contains some unmarked graves. 




LAUBER HILL/ NEW MENNONITE CEMETERY
German Township

Location: The Lauber Hill Cemetery is located on the east side of County Road 21, north of US Alt. 20. The Reformed Mennonite Church building sits immediately south of the cemetery. (SW 1/4 Sec 11, T7N R5E) 

History: The cemetery occupies land granted to G. Meister, B. Meister and A. Meister in 1834. The Lauber Hill New Mennonite Church organization purchased one acre to be used for a church building and burial ground in 1865.



LENA CEMETERY
Clinton Township

Location: The Lena Cemetery is located southwest of Wauseon, on the east side of Township Road 16, north of County Road C. (SW 1/4 Sec 34, T7N R6E) 

History: The Lena burial ground is located on land deeded to Thomas Santee in 1837. The land passed to other owners, including the Miley family, and became known to many as the Miley Cemetery. The Lena "Grave Yard" was transferred to the Clinton township trustees in 1869. 



LUTZ CEMETERY
Swan Creek Township

Location: The Lutz Cemetery is located southeast of Delta, on the west side of Township Road 4. (NE 1/4 Sec 33, T7N R8E) 

History: The Lutz Cemetery is on land deeded to J. Hoffman during early years of settlement. In 1904 the cemetery site was deeded to the St. John Lutheran Church and the first burials commenced about this time. 



LYONS CEMETERY
Royalton Township

Location: The Lyons Cemetery is located on the south side of State Road 120, at the southwest corner of the village of Lyons. (NE 1/4 Sec 17, T9S R3E) 

History: The Cemetery occupies land deeded to B. Tubbs in 1834. Cynthia Cadwell, wife of Edward Cadwell and a sister of Alanson Briggs, was the first buried at the cemetery. The village of Lyons has had responsibility for the burial ground since 1907. Several additions have been made to the original site. 




MIKESELL CEMETERY
Clinton Township

Location: The Mikesell Cemetery is located west of Wauseon, north of SH 2 and west of Township Road 15-1. Access is by a sod drive from SH 2. (NW 1/4 of SE 1/4 Sec 22, T7N R6E) 

History: The one-quarter acre burial ground is on land deeded by the U.S. to Adam Mikesell in 1837. Burials at the site date from 1840. Until 1910 a small Catholic cemetery was located a few yards to the east. The Mikesell Cemetery has not had a burial during this century. 




NEW FRANKLIN CEMETERY
Franklin Township

Location: The New Section of the West Franklin Cemetery is located on the south side of County Road L. (Old Angola Road), west of the intersection with Township Road 27-2. (NW 1/4, Sec 11, T10N, R1W) 

History, A cemetery association formed in 1881 and purchased land from the Jacob Schenk farm to be used for a burial ground. This location and the M.E. Cemetery became known as the Franklin Cemetery. The first buried in the new section was the infant daughter of John and Ella Hollington.. The two cemeteries are today known as the West Franklin Cemetery, Old and New sections.  Markers predating this burial ground are believed those moved from the old Asher Ely Cemetery, located in Williams County, south of the West Franklin Cemetery. 




OLD DELTA CEMETERY
York Township

Location: the Old Delta burial ground is in the northwest part of Delta, on the north side of the Edgewood Drive between Adrian and Monroe Streets. (W ½ Sec 12, T7N, R7E.) 

History: the cemetery is on land deeded to B.G. Lewis in 1834. The grave yard site was deeded to a Cemetery Association in 1847. Many of the gravestones are weathered, broken or missing from their bases. A number of stones were found piled in a ravine at the back of the cemetery. There are unmarked burials on the grounds. (As of 1985) 



OLD FRANKLIN CEMETERY
Franklin Township

Location: The New Section of the West Franklin Cemetery is located on the south side of County Road L. (Old Angola Road), west of the intersection with Township Road 27-2. (NW 1/4, Sec 11, T10N, R1W) 

History, A cemetery association formed in 1881 and purchased land from the Jacob Schenk farm to be used for a burial ground. This location and the M.E. Cemetery became known as the Franklin Cemetery. The first buried in the new section was the infant daughter of John and Ella Hollington.  The two cemeteries are today known as the West Franklin Cemetery, Old and New sections.  Markers predating this burial ground are believed those moved from the old Asher Ely Cemetery, located in Williams County, south of the West Franklin Cemetery. 


OTTOKEE CEMETERY
Dover Township

Location: The Ottokee Cemetery is located at the southwestern edge of the village of Ottokee. A drive running some twenty-five rods south from County Road J provides access to the grounds. (NE 1/4 Sec 2, T7N R6E)

 History: The Ottokee burial ground dates from early settlement. Historian Frank Reighard believed from ca 1838, while Lewis Aldrich gave the year 1846 when Betsy Knapp was buried at the site. 
 In 1853 the Ottokee Cemetery Association organized and purchased two acres of land from the estate of Alonzo Knapp. This parcel, adjoining the village plat of Ottokee, contains the grave of Betsy Knapp who died June 12, 1846. 



OUR LADY OF FATIMA
Royalton Township

Location: Our Lady of Fatima Cemetery is located two miles south of Lyons, Ohio, at the northeast corner of US 20 and township road 11-2.  (SE 1/4 Sec 20, T9S, R3E.) 

History: Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church was built in 1949 to serve the Lyons mission which had organized in 1946.  In 1965 adjoining land was purchased and the following year a cemetery was laid out to the northwest of the church. 




PETTISVILLE LUTHERAN CEMETERY
Clinton Township

Location: The Pettisville Lutheran Cemetery is located on the north side of Dame Street, east of Main Streen, in the village of Pettisville. (SW 1/4 Sec 30, T7N R6E)

History: This burial ground was established at an early time and was first known as the Graetz Family Cemetery. The one-half acre plot soon became associated with the Lutheran Church that was located on the south side of Dame Street and has become known as the Pettisville Lutheran Cemetery. 



PETTISVILLE MENNONITE CEMETERY
Clinton Township

Location: The Pettisville Mennonite Cemetery is located at the southeast edge of the village of Pettisville.  It lies south of Summit Street and north of the Pettisville Union Cemetery, between Oak and Willow Streets.  The two cemeteries are separated by a driveway. 

History: Not available. 



PETTISVILLE UNION/AMISH
Clinton Township

Location: The Pettisville Union Cemetery is located at the southeast edge of Pettisville, on the north side of County Road D, between Oak and Willow Streets. (SW 1/4, Sec 30, T7N R4E) 

History: Not available 



PLEASANT VIEW CEMETERY (FAYETTE)
Gorham Township

Location: The Pleasant View Cemetery is located west of Maple Street and south of Ontario Street in the southwest section of the village of Fayette. (SE 1/4 Sec 19, T9S R1E) 

History: The older section of Pleasant View Cemetery was a family burial ground on land owned by John Gamber. By 1852 the site had been expanded to serve the local area. The first burial is difficult to determine as grave markers were moved to Pleasant View from abandoned cemeteries. The first burial may have been as early as 1836. 




RAKER CEMETERY
Swan Creek Township

Location: The Raker Cemetery is located south of Delta, on the west side of County Road 6-1, south of County Road D. (NE 1/4 Sec 31, T7N R8E) 

History: The Raker burial ground was established in 1836 and served the nearby areas of Swan Creek and York townships. Two church group mergers near Bad Creek resulted in the building of the Raker Union Church at this location in 1882. 



ROOS CEMETERY
Chesterfield Township

Location; The Roos Cemetery is located southwest of Lyons village, on the north side of County Road RS and east of Township Road 13-1. (NE 1/4, Sec 24, T9S, R2E) 

History: The land the cemetery occupies was deeded to J.P. Roos in 1835. Local residents met at the nearby Maple Grove School Hose on 1 Apr 1854, formed a cemetery association, elected trustees and agreed to purchase burial land from Philip Roos. The body of Nehemiah Cone was interred at the site in Aug, 1854. Historians record this as the first burial at Rose Hill Cemetery, as it was first named, however markers with earlier dates are now found in the cemetery. In 1886, the cemetery was placed under the jurisdiction of the Chesterfield township trustees. 


RUPP CEMETERY
German Township

Location:  The Rupp Cemetery is located east of Archbold, along the 
south side of County Road C and east of Township Road 21-3. 
(NW 1/4. Sec 3, T6N, R5E.)
History:  The Rupp Cemetery is located on land settled by Christian Rupp.  In 1880 the Defenseless, Mennonite Congregation built a brick church on land purchased from Jacob Rupp on the north side of the road.  At about 
the same time land was obtained from Christian Rupp on the south side of the road to be used as a cemetery. 



RUPPERT CEMETERY (GOULD)
York Township

Location: The Ruppert Cemetery is located north of County Road D, between County Road 11 and Township Road 12. Access to the burial ground is from County Road D, on a grass lane, north .4 miles, then west .07 miles. (E 1/2 SW 1/4 Sec 29, T7N, R7E) 

History: The graveyard is on land deeded to Geo. Pontius in 1835. Later J.A. Ruppert purchased the land and from this family came the cemetery name. During the early period of settlement a school was located near the southwest corner of the section. Later the Evangelical Church was located at this corner. This burial site has also been called the Gould Cemetery. 



ST. CASPAR
Clinton Township

Location: The St. Caspar Cemetery is located on the north side of Elm Street (SR 2) and east of Township Road 15-1, at the west edge of Wauseon. (SE 1/4 Sec 22, T7N R6E) 

History: In 1883 Mary Mikesell deeded a part of the southeast one-quarter of section twenty-two to Bishop Richard Gilmore, Cleveland Diocese of Ohio. This one acre plot, now a part of a field north of the present cemetery, served as the St. Caspar burial ground until 1910.   The present cemetery site was purchased from Sophrona Oakley, and others, in 1910. The bodies were moved from the old to the new cemetery under the supervision of George Rittichier and J.G. Socie. 



ST.  JAMES/LEININGER CEMETERY
German Township

Location: The St. James Lutheran Cemetery is located northeast of Archbold, on the south side of SR 2, at the intersection with County Road 20-3. (NW 1/4 Sec 26, T7N R5E) 

History: The St. James Lutherans constructed a log church at the present cemetery site in 1851. A brick building, built at the same location, replaced the log church in 1873. The congregation closed the brick church in 1930 and moved to Burlington. The old church building was sold in 1934 and the ground added to the cemetery. This burial ground has sometimes been called the Leininger Cemetery. 



ST.  JOHNS CEMETERY
German Township

Location:  The St. Johns Cemetery is located in south Archbold, on the east side of State Route 66, between Township Roads B and BC.  Adjoining the St. Johns Cemetery on the south is the larger Archbold Cemetery.  (SW1/4, Sec 4, T6N, R5E.) 

History:  The cemetery occupies land granted to R. McConnell in 1837.  In 1840 two acres of the McConnell land was deeded to the German Reformed Church and in 1855 they constructed a place of worship across the road,  north of the Brush Creek. 



ST. LUKE'S EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN
Clinton Township

Location: The St. Luke Lutheran Cemetery is located on the east side of SR 108, south of the city of Wauseon, between County Road A and County Road B. (NW 1/4 Sec 12, T6N R6E) 

History: The St. Luke Lutheran Church was organized in 1910 and the first services were held in the former Olive Branch U.B. Church located south of Wauseon. In 1913, the U.B. Church building was purchased and moved south to what is now a part of the St. Luke Cemetery that dates from 1915. A new church was erected in 1963 and the old building dismantled. 


ST.  MARY'S CATHOLIC CEMETERY
Amboy Township

Location: The St. Mary Catholic Cemetery is located on the southwest corner of the intersection of US. Route 20 and SR 64 in the village of Assumption. (NW 1/4 Sec 26, T9S, R4E) 

History: The cemetery is on land purchased from the United States by M. Bunting in 1835. In 1867 ground for a church and a cemetery was donated by Jacob Berrens. A small white church stood where the cemetery is located until the new St. Mary church was dedicated in 1888. The cemetery lies west of the church and was originally about 27 by 11 rods. The Right Reverend Richard Gilmaur consecrated the cemetery in 1879. Several additions have been made to the cemetery. On November 29, 1919 some tombstones were damaged during a storm that took the steeple off the church and wrecked the twenty-two stall hitching shed used by members of the congregation. 



ST.  PETER'S CATHOLIC CEMETERY
German Township

Location: The St. Peter's Catholic Cemetery is located one and one-half miles north and one mile east of Archbold, on the south side of SR 2 west of the intersection with Township Road 22. (NE 1/4 Sec 2, T7N R5E) 

History: The cemetery is located on land deeded to S. McKelvey in 1835. Later Francis Fleury purchased the land and in 1850 a log building was constructed as a place for Catholic worship. In 1869, a new church was dedicated in the village of Archbold and the ground where the log church stood was added to the cemetery. 



ST. RICHARD'S CEMETERY
Fulton Township

Location: The St. Richard's Cemetery is located on the north side of Dodge Street, west of Swanton, in Fulton Township. (SW 1/4 Sec 1, T7N R8E). 

History: In 1890 land was purchased along Dodge Street, west of Swanton, as the site for the St. Richard Catholic Church. At the same time a two acre plot was purchased to be used as a cemetery for the church. 



SALISBURY CEMETERY
Pike Township

Location: The Salisbury Cemetery lies northwest of Delta, along Township Road 9-2, between Township Road HJ and County Road J, in Pike township. (NW 1/4 Sec 3, T7N R7E) 

History: The Salisbury Cemetery occupies land granted to Peter Salsberry in 1834. The land passed to Joseph and Magdalina Salisbury and their daughter, Mary Ann, was the first buried at the site. Her burial took place in 1837 on a knoll where, in 1835, the first area school was taught in an old log hut. In 1869, the township trustees assumed responsibility for the grave yard. The family name retained by the cemetery has had several spellings, however, Joseph's name was recorded as Salisbury. The cemetery occupies a quiet, well kept, wooded area and has been the scene of vandalism several times in past years. In 1984 some thirty-two gravestones were pushed over or damaged. 



SHILO CEMETERY
Swan Creek Township

Location: The Shiloh Cemetery is located south of Delta at the southeast corner of the intersection of County Road B and Township Road 5. (NW 1/4 Sec 9, T6N, R8E) 

History: The cemetery occupies land deeded to L. Blackman in 1838. The Shiloh Church was built at this location in 1893. The burial ground became the responsibility of cemetery trustees in 1911. The original church burned in 1946 and rebuilding started during the same year. 



SMITH CEMETERY
Franklin Township

Location: The Smith Cemetery is located southwest of Tedrow at the northwest corner of the intersection of County Road 19 and Township Road HJ. (NE 1/4, Sec 1, T7N, R5E.) 

History: The Smith Cemetery lies on land granted to Demas Adams in 1835. During the 1860's the corner northwest of the Andre-Hagerman and Pettisville-Morence roads was set aside as a burial site. In 1933 the 1.75 acres was transferred to the Smith Cemetery Association. The cemetery has since been placed under the control of the township trustees. The oldest grave marker at the site dates from October, 1861. Across the road, to the east, lies the older Ayers Cemetery. 



SNOW CEMETERY
Gorham Township

Location: The Snow Cemetery is located one mile east and one and one-half miles north of the village of Fayette, on the southwest corner of the intersection of Township Road T and County Road 23. (NE 1/4 Sec 17, T9S, R1E) 

History: Land granted to George W. Bullock in 1835 was subsequently sold to Spencer Snow. In 1842 a frame school was built at the corners and the community became known as the "Snow Settlement". In 1852 Spencer and Dolly Snow deeded a three-quarter acre plot west of the school yard to the Union Cemetery Association. This burial ground, known as the Snow Cemetery has been inactive for many years and is in very poor condition. Many of the markers are broken and some are covered with sod. Several markers recorded circa 1940 are no longer found on the grounds. 



SWANTON CEMETERY
Swan Creek Township

Location: The Swanton Cemetery is located in south Swanton, oh the west side of County Road 1-1, south of US Alternate 20. (SE ½ Sec 12, T7N R4E) 

History: The Swanton Cemetery is situated on land deeded to F.H. Richardson in 1834. The old part of the cemetery, known as the Centreville burial ground, was so called for the early settlement by the same name located at the four corners north of the cemetery. According to tradition a part of this section once was an Indian burial ground. In 1842 the cemetery was transferred to the township trustees. Since that time the site has been expanded to meet community needs. 




TEDROW CEMETERY
Dover Township

Location: The Tedrow Cemetery is located on the north side of County Road J, at the east edge of the village of Tedrow. (SE 1/4 Sec 32, T8N R6E) Done in 1931 

History: Land deeded to T.V. Burtch in 1844 was used for burials at an early time, possibly as early as the 1840's. The burial ground, first known as Spring Hill Cemetery, for the nearby village of that name, was organized during the 1860's. In 1872 the cemetery was turned over to the trustees of Dover Township. When the village name was changed to Tedrow, the cemetery also became known by that name.  (also been called Eldredge
cemetery on some deeds)




WAUSEON UNION
Clinton Township

Location: The Wauseon Union Cemetery is located at the western edge of the city, south of State Route 2 and west of Lawrence Avenue.  (SE1/4, Sec 22, T7N, R6E.) 

History: Wauseon was plotted in 1854 and in 1862, on the death of Nathaniel Leggett, an early village proprietor, a search was made to select a suitable cemetery site.  The location decided on was, now the old section of the cemetery where the grave marker for Nathaniel Leggett is found, was purchased from E.L. Barber.  The newly formed Wauseon Cemetery Association purchased additional land from Alanson and Hannah Pike in 1866.  The following year the association passed the nine and one-half acre cemetery to the joint control of the village of Wauseon and Clinton Township.  The cemetery has since been enlarged to meet the needs of the community. 



WEST BARRIE/BARRE CEMETERY
York Township

Location: The West Barre Cemetery is southeast of Wauseon, northeast of the junction of County Road C, County Road 13 and Township Road AC. The cemetery is located several yards off the road with access by a grass lane located behind a barn at the northeast corner of the intersection. (SW 1/4 Sec 31, T7N R7E.) 

History: The burial ground is on land deeded to A.K. Augustus in 1834. The community of West Barre developed at the five corners and had a Baptist Church, United Brethren Church, general store, blacksmith shop, grange, ashery and a post office. A school house was located one-half mile south of the corners. The post office operated from 1851 until 1872 with Amos Taft as the post master. The cemetery, deeded to the township in 1843, is all that remains of the old village. 



WEST FRANKLIN CEMETERY (OLD SECTION)
Franklin Township

Location: The Old Section of the West Franklin Cemetery is located on the south side of the Old Angola Road (CR L) east of the intersection with TR 27-2.  (NW1/2, Sec 11, T10N, R1W.) 

History: In 1849 members of the Methodist Episcopal Church located a cemetery on land furnished by Ezekiel Masters.  Willie Masters, son of Ezekiel and Mary Masters, was the first buried at the M.E. Cemetery. 

In 1881 a cemetery association was formed and additional burial land purchased west of TR 27-2.  This cemetery, along with the M.E. Cemetery, became known as the Franklin Cemetery.  Today the two cemeteries are known as the West Franklin Cemetery, Old and New sections. 

Markers predating this burial site most likely came from the old Asher Ely burial grounds, located in Williams County south of the present cemeteries. 



WINAMEG/ AETNA CEMETERY
Pike Township

Location: The Winameg Cemetery is located about one-half mile north of Winameg, on the east side of County Road 10-2, in Pike Township. (SE 1/4, Sec 4, T10S, R3E) 

History: The Aetna Cemetery, as it was first named, occupies land deeded to J.J. Wilkinson in 1835. The first burial at this site was that of Catharine Wilson in 1837. Catharine was a sister of Emery and Martin Wilson, they being among the first settlers of Pike Township. In 1885 the one acre cemetery was deeded to the township trustees and additions followed in 1908, 1938, 1964 and 1977. In 1881 the United Brethren constructed a building on the west side of the road and north, known as the Beulah Church. The old section of the Winameg Cemetery is believed to contain some unmarked graves. 



WYSE CEMETERY
German Township

Location: The Wyse Cemetery is located two miles east and one-half mile south of Burlington on the west side of County Road 21.  (SE1/4, Sec 15, T7N, R5E.) 

History: The cemetery is on land deeded to Peter Wyse and dates to 1848.  Peter Wyse served as interpreter for the German-Swiss immigrants that settled Lauber Hill in 1834.  John Rupp, Sr., his wife and likely others are buried at this site in unmarked graves. 




ZION CHURCH CEMETERY
York Township

Location: The Zion Cemetery is located southeast of Wauseon on the west side of County Road 11 between County Road D and Township Road E. (NE 1/4 Sec 29, T7N, R7E.)

History: The cemetery occupies land deeded to G. Pontius in 1845. In 1880 the land was deeded to the U.B. Church. The Zion United Methodist Church now stands to the east of the cemetery. 



OTHER FULTON COUNTY CEMETERY NAMES
Formerly/ or 
Also  Known As 
Current Name
CLICK on name to go there
Amish -------------------------
Aetna -------------------------
Caraghar---------------------
Centreville ------------------
Coffin -------------------------
Colter ------------------------
Darby ------------------------
Delta -------------------------
Eldredge--------------------
Fayette ----------------------
Fisher ------------------------
Fowler -----------------------
Franklin ---------------------
Gerig -------------------------
Gould -------------------------
Hubeil ------------------------
Jordan ------------------------
Kline --------------------------
LaBounty --------------------
Leichty -----------------------
Leininger --------------------
McClarren ------------------
Masters ----------------------
Miley -------------------------
Mt. Salem -------------------
New Mennonite -----------
Rose Hill --------------------
Sand Hill ---------------------
Spring Hill -------------------
Union -------------------------
   " -----------------------------
   " -----------------------------
   " -----------------------------
Viers---------------------------
abandoned / to Eckley 
see Winameg 
see ST.  MARY'S CATHOLIC CEMETERY
see Swanton 
abandoned / to Fayette 
abandoned 
see Ruppert/Gould 
see Greenlawn
see Tedrow
see Pleasant View 
see Ely
abandoned / to Berkebile
see West Franklin 
see Wyse
see Ruppert 
abandoned 
see Edgar
see Colter
see Amboy Township
see Beck
see St. James Lutheran 
see Fluhart 
see West Franklin
see Lena
see Ely 
see Lauber Hill 
see Roos 
see Johnson
see Tedrow 
see Fulton Union
see Pettisville Union
see Snow 
see Wauseon Union
see Fulton Union

POST YOU FAMILY GRAVE PICTURES TO THE TOMBSTONE POST
Click Here to Go to Gravestone Post



Fulton County Tombstone Transcriptions

Transferred from the FC Historical Society books circa 1984

This page was last modified on Thursday, 28-Oct-2010 12:53:13 MDT
maintained by Mark Lozer, webmaster.
Send E-mail to: lozer@fulton-net.com