This town was once a pretty important trading center, until nearby Fayette
put it out of business. It was founded in 1840 and named after settler
Calvin Ackley. It was home to at least one major industry: a cheese factory.
Post office town which operated between 1893 and 1901.
What a name. This odd little ghost town was officially platted on June
9, 1857 by O. E. M. Howards, but people had lived in the area since 1835,
when the federal government had begun handing out land grants there. Its
first store opened in 1835, and the town quickly blossomed into a trading
and manufacturing center. P. Berry's wagon shop was located there, surviving
fires in 1862 and 1870. There was a cider mill, two blacksmith shops, a
drug store, a cheese factory, the cobblershop, between four and eleven
saloons, and the undertaker.
Ai did not get its unique name from the 2001 Steven Spielberg film; rather,
it was named after the wicked city in the bible which was destroyed by
Joshua. An early settler's name was Ami Richards, and it is sometimes asserted
that it was named after him (yes, Ami was a guy) with the middle letter
in his name taken out. Today all that remains of the town, which finally
died with the post office on August 31, 1903, is the cemetery, a small
schoolhouse (now used as a residence), an old grocery store which closed
in the early 80s, and a crumbling grain elevator. Might be worth
Post office town which operated between 1854 and 1859.
Post office town which operated between 1890 and 1891.
paper ghost town that was planned but never came into being on the northeast
corner of secton 32.
-see Caraghar below
Post office town which operated between 1888 and 1901.
Post office town which operated between 1857 and 1901. The Post office
was closed for a period during 1860 and 1861.
Post office town which operated between 1847 and 1865.
known as Milroy)
The Milroy post office was opened in Brailey on February 7, 1894 with Edward
Milroy as postmaster and closed January 31, 1901 when mail service was
transferred to Swanton.
known as St. Mary's Corners
and now called Assumption
first permanent white settlers arrived in Caraghar in the early
In the decades that followed, migrants from Kentucky and Virginia and immigrants
from Germany and Ireland began to arrive in Fulton County. Caraghar
was named for John Caraghar, the owner of a local general store. It was
a Catholic communtiy and and ther St. Mary's Church was formed in the 1850's.
First settled in 1834-37 located on the northwest one-quarter of the northeast
one-quarter of section 12. The southern part of what is now Swanton,
OH. In 1883, present day Swanton was incorporated from three geographically
merged communities: Centerville, Petersburgh and Old or East Swanton. The
town got in name as when it was part of Lucas Co. as it was the center
point of Lucas county before Fulton co. was formed in 1850.
The town of Chesterfield was located in the northwest one-quarter of the
northwest one-quarter of Section 27 of Chesterfield Township, Fulton Co.
OH. The town's location can be further described as being the intersection
of ST RT 20 and Lena Morenci Road. The town was established by Alfred
C. Hough, Samuel Gillis and Robert Clemmons about 1835. The Chesterfield
Post Office was established on August 18, 1837 with Alanson Briggs as postmaster.
It remained in operation until October 1, 1863 when mail service was relocated.
The post office was reopened on April 2, 1864 with James Hough as postmaster
and remained open until August 20, 1869 when mail service was transferred
Corners (Also known as Gorham)
The post office here opened in January 24, 1837, then in Williams Co. OH
at the home of Eratus Cottrell who was the first postmaster It operated
until Janusry 19, 1873 when mail service was transferred to Fayette and
its name was changed to Fayette . Cottrell's Corners was also known at
various times as Gorham PO and Handy.
The Toledo and Western Electric Railroad had a station here. The town itself
existed from 1897 through 1909. The post office was established on April
29, 1897 with Thomas Jones as postmaster. It remained in operation
until August 31, 1909 when mail service was transferred to Morenci, Michigan.
Ghost town located at the place where Eckley-Powers Road crossed the Norfolk
and Western Railroad. It was located in the northwest one-quarter of the
northwest one-quarter of Section 14 of German Township, Fulton Co, OH.
This town was platted in 1837 by George Eaton on the north bank of the
Tiffin River, on the site of an old Indian village. At one time Edinburg
had a tavern, carpenter shop, and harness shop, but by 1870 every resident
The village of Emery was located in the northwest one-quarter of the southwest
one-quarter of Section 4 of Dover Township, Fulton Co. Ohio bing on West
Unity-Swanton Road between Hartman-Inlet and Lena-Morenci Roads.
The post office was established on July 11, 1846 with Amos Gay as the postmaster.
It remained in operation until January 23, 1861 when mail service was relocated.
The post reopened on may 23, 1861 with William Waid as the postmaster and
remained open until August 31, 1903 when mail service was transferred to
Post office town which operated between 1844 and 1855. The Post Office
was established on May 27, 1844 in Lucas Co. OH with Smith Geer as the
postmaster and remained in operaton until Decemeber 27, 1855.
see Cottrells' Corners above
Post office town which was established on January 24, 1851 with Elisha
Hanson as postmaster. It reamined open until April 20, 1877.
The Village of Handy was located in the southeast one-quarter of the northeast
one-quarter of Section 21 of Gorham Township, Fulton Co. Ohio at the intersection
of US 20 and Spies-Handy Corners Road. The Handy Post Office was established
on August 11, 1856 with Jared Parker as the postmaster. It remained in
operation until April 7, 1874 when mail service was transferred to Fayette.
The village of Inlet was located in the northwest one-quarter of the northwest
one-quarter of Section 23 at the intersection of Inlet-Lytton and Hartman-Inlet
Roads. The post office was established on July 10, 1897 with
John Bushey as postmaster. It remained open until August 31, 1903
when mail service was transferred to Wauseon.
In 1834, German immigrants from the Alsace region settled this portion
of northwestern Ohio. Christian Lauber and his family had first gone to
France, then emigrated to the United States via New York City. When they
arrived they and other Germans they met rode the waterways west, intending
to settle with other Germans in Wayne County, but when they arrived they
found that the area had been largely bought up, and land nearby was expensive.
So they headed northwest, to the "bustling" town of Napoleon. (At this
time Napoleon had one permanent building.) They bought land miles from
Napoleon and proceeded to cut a footpath between their new homes and the
city. The town was finally named after Lauber because he managed to build
the first house. His home was later used for religious services until the
town's two churches were constructed.
Post office town which operated between March 14, 1850 and January 13,
1864. Philander Robertson was the postmaster.
The town of Lena could never decide if it wanted a post office or not.
The first one opened there in March 31, 1852 with Thomas Bayes as postmaster,
then closed in April 26, 1860. One month later it reopened on May
12, 1860 with Joel Brigham as postmaster, then closed again November 16,
1866. It reopened again January 6, 1875 with John Drebing as postmaster
only to close for good in October 12, 1876, when the mail service was transferred
Post office town which operated between July 14, 1892 and December 15,
1898 with John Robinson as the postmaster when mail service was transferred
Post office town which operated between March 3, 1893 and July 15, 1895
with John R. Babcock as postmaster , then January 6, 1896 and August 31,
1903 with Samuel Everett as the postmaster. Mail service was transferred
to Delta, OH.
This post office town stood where US 127 intersects Hibbard-Belding Road,
between Novemeber 8, 1849 and June 20, 1863 with Calvin Ackley as the postmaster.
see Brailey above
also was known as Vernon and now as Lyons
Oak Shade was a cheese town. Established in 1874 at the place where SR
108 and US 20 cross, it was originally placed because of the Detroit, Toledo
& Ironton Railroad, which passed through. Later on, though, it became
known for P.S. Lee's cheese factory, which was built there sometime before
the town was even officially founded. In 1909 Hervey Partridge bought it
and changed the name to Partridge Bros. Dairy Products. The building survived
until sometime before 1975, when it was demolished. Today the Oakshade
Raceway stands where the town was prior to 1910.
Post office town which operated between 1844 and 1846, then 1847 and 1857.
In 1888 there was a store at Pelton; in 1889 there was a post office. In
1901 the post office closed down for good.
This town was named for Eli Philips, the first settler in the county. It
was founded in 1832 at the place where SR 109 and SR 120 intersect. The
first business was a bark-covered shanty which served as a store.
Also known as Royalton
and Seward. The village of SEWARD
was established April 25, 1890 with William H. Seward as postmaster,
It reamined in operation until Aug 31, 1913 when mail service was transferred
Post office town which operated between 1887 and 1901.
Power's Station was a stop on the Toledo & Western Interurban Railroad.
It stood where US 20 crosses Eckley-Powers Road.
Town founded in 1870 by J.P. Ritter. The Chicago & Canada South Railroad
had a station here, and there was a post office between 1874 and 1912.
The town died when the Toledo & Western took business away.
Phillip's Corners above
Phillip's Corners above
Town which stood where Delta-Santee and Inlet-Lyon Roads cross, from April
14, 1884 with Chapman Smith as the postmaster and operated through September
known as Tedrow
see Caraghar above
Town at the intersection of County Road MN and Pettisville-Morenci Roads
from December 1, 1897 with Benjamin Prik\ckette as the postmaster
through April 30, 1901.
This town only existed two years, from 1897 through 1899. Its location
can be described as being on alternate US 20/SR 2, between Biddle-Scott
and Winameg-Lyons Roads. What's with all these hyphenated road names?
This town stood at a three-way intersection, at the point where West Barre-Advance,
Archbold-West, and Adams Ridge Road cross today. It was in existence between
January 23, 1851 with Amos Taft as the postmaster and relocated to Wauseon
January 15, 1872. It was named for Barre, Vermont. The reason for
this name was that a company resided in the town which distributed tombstones
built by a company in Barre, Vermont.
This post office existed between February 1, 1901 with Elmer White as the
postmaster till March 15, 1910. It was located at the intersection
of Reighard-Whiteville Road and SR 120. The Toledo & Western Railroad
passed through. Mail service was transferred to Metamora.
known as DeMutre & Indian name was Neshenowba)
also known as Aetna
and is located at the intersection of Co Rd 10-2 and Co. Rd. L. The
old Pike Twp. School building still stands there as well as the Aetna Grange
and the new Pike Twp Hall. The corner store burned several years
ago but there are several residences that still remain there.
York Center has been gone for a long time. When it existed, it was at the
point where Winameg-Lyons and Wauseon-Perkins Road cross today. It was
also at the intersection of two railroads: the Conrail, and the Norfolk
Southern. Its lifespan was 1842-1848, which means that it spent its entire
life as part of Lucas County, in the years before Fulton County was partitioned