Local Businesses             operated by Greeks

Last Updated  03/21/2013
Greek Ancestry In Middletown, Ohio

Click on photo to enlarge; click again to enlarge more; click again to reduce. Click back arrow to return



 OK Barber Shop on the right side of this photo.
Photo from the George Crout Collection, Middletown Library Lens
  Note from Nick Demetrion.:
The OK Barbershop was located at 1045 Central Avenue and was owned by Tony Phillips (aka Trappas).  He and his brother George had a two man operation for many years.  Tony died in 1945, George began working at the barber shop behind Ogelsby Barnitz Bank, and Greathouse took over the location, expanding his clothing store.   

By
Vivian Moon
19 January  2008

 

The Elite Ice Cream and Candy Company was owned and operated by the brothers Revelos: James, John, Nick and Charles as pictured here.
One of several Elite stores.
Another of the Elite locations.
Advertisement for Elite Confectionery, c. 1913
 George N. Revelos,
son of Nick, holds sign from demolished  Revelos Building on Central Av. marking the end of an era.  9/25/10.  Mdtn. Journal Story.

Read a brief  History of "The Elite" written by Michael N. Revelos.
.

by
 Michael N. Revelos
November 2009

                WE DELIVER...
Business man on wheels,
Stratton Papakirk starts his first business after immigrating to Middletown. c.1960.  Several Greeks, including Tom Demetrion, sold ice cream bars (usually part time) from similar cycle carts in the 1930's and 1940's - many of those were owned by Elite Ice Cream Co. and the Ohio Ice Cream Co.

From
Georgia Papakirk

At Verity Parkway (previously Miami & Erie Canal) looking west along  3rd street (later Central Av) - picture dated 1920.
Castell Bldg on southeast corner with Revelos Elite Confectionary on corner. c.1940  Across Central is the Gordon Theatre on corner with the City hotel on the west side of the theatre.
Another view of the Gordon theater, built in 1912 along side the Miami & Erie Canal. Across Central was the Castell Bldg. and behind it, the towered building was the old Sebald Brewery.
 
Photo from the George Crout Collection, Middletown Library Lens

by
George Christy
29 November 2009

 The Fraternal Order of Eagles, Middletown Aerie No. 258, erected this building c.1911. Its club rooms were on the upper levels of the building, while storerooms were on the lower level. The right-hand storeroom was a 200-seat movie theatre that opened in 1912 as the Eagle Theatre. It became the Majestic in 1917 and the State in 1940. It closed November 30, 1948. The State Theater was operated by George Turlukis.  Many of its offerings were "cowboy movies" featuring Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, & John Wayne.

Description and
Photo from the George Crout Collection, Middletown Library Lens

by
George Christy
29 November 2009

The Family Theatre was located in the Bundy Building adjacent to the "Big 4" railroad tracks. The apartments above the theatre were considered to be a very nice place to live. When a train went by, the seats vibrated and the train whistle competed with the movie's sound track. Many years later the building was razed for urban renewal. Pete Turlukis is standing in front of the 'Box Office" where tickets were sold. He worked for his dad, George, who operated this theatre as well as the State Theater.. John Demetrion was also associated with the Family Theater and many Greek youngsters, including George N. Revelos and Jim J. Demetrion worked there during school years.

Photo from
 Stephan Turlukis
Sept. 2011

The "Talkies" debut  in 1929.at the Sorg Opera House on Main Street in Middletown.

Read the Middletown Journal story about the first theater manager, Gust Chifos, to offer the "talkies."

Photo from the George Crout Collection, Middletown Library Lens

Research and transcription of article by Marian Bugitzedes.
December 2009

The Strand Theater was built  in 1929 by a corporation of Greeks including Theodore and Gust Chifos, Steve Chakeris and John Demetrion.  The theater has been scheduled for demolition in 2010. Many theaters, most of which were demolished decades ago, are remembered in this Journal article by Roger Miller on Oct. 15,2008.


Photo from the George Crout Collection, Middletown Library Lens.

Clipping from Jim J. Demetrion Dec. 2009
-
Re-typed by
Marian Bugitzedes

The Dixie Lunch at 901 South Main St. was owned by Christ Pallas from 1935 to 1951.   From L to R: unknown, Sam Pallas, Christ Pallas, Helen Pallas. 
Note: this photo is also displayed in the National Hellenic Museum in Chicago. GC

by
George Christy
 Dec 2009

                      Broadway Market
Anna Garofalos
operated a grocery store on the corner of Broad St. & Columbia Av. (previously owned by the Louis Poulos family) in the 1950's. Prior to that, she owned & operated Anthony's Tavern on Central Av. west of Main St., following the death of her husband.
Thr grocery was later owned & operated by the Eliopoulos brothers, Art & Jim, for several years.
L-R:  Mrs. Creona, neighbors, Anna  Garofalos

by
Cleo Garvin
30 Mar 2010

 

   George's Grocery was on Central Av. across from the Strand (Studio) Theater.
As downtown business slowed down in the 1960's, George's store became a "cracker barrel" destination for Greek men, mostly retired (there was no kafenio by then) and George Bugitzedes was a good host. He and his visitors might spontaneously break out into a Greek folk dance (George leads here) and share in a little of the brandy George made in the basement in small quantities for his friends. Many would leave with some feta and olives from his imported barrels, or a jar of hot banana peppers he canned himself. His was truly a friendly and unique store in downtown Middletown.
Photo by Middletown Journal on Sunday, July 28th, 2002 

by
George Christy
Dec 2009

The Barber Shop of Gus Demetriou on Clinton Street in Middletown on March 22, 1945

He was proud of the lemon tree he grew there.

by
Cleo Garvin

Gus Christy operated a unique store on Central Av. a few doors east of the Strand Theater (Marquis is visible in background beyond Joffe Furniture). This is the only picture available - taken to show son George tipping the scale.  Read more detail.

Gus bought property in 1945 at the corner of Burbank & Brentwood which included these 3 buildings. He operated a Grocery in the building on the right until the 1960's

by
George Christy
 Dec 2009

Central Avenue, West from Broad, South Side, c.1938
Fay's drug store was at 1024 Central. Other businesses were Redd & Waller Hardware at 1030, the Awanda Studio, operated by music teacher Robert M. Neely, at 1032 (upstairs), George Garofalos Restaurant at 1034, Klein's clothing at 1036, Rogers Jewelry Store at 1038, Parrot Restaurant operated by Vassilios P. Karras and Gus Mardas at 1042, and the K of P Hall with the G.C. Murphy Co. at 1046.  (view is toward the east).   The John Ross Store was on the opposite corner of  Broad c.1938 when this photograph was taken.
Photo and text from the George Crout Collection, Middletown Library Lens.
Nick Garafalos notes: My dad's restaurant, Klein's and Rogers were all torn down the following year and a W.T.Grant variety store erected in their place. Dad opened another restaurant, Anthony's Tavern, further west on Central Ave.

by
Cleo Garvin
Jan. 16, 2010

 Ohio looking north toward Central Avenue c. 1940 Vradelis Brothers store on So. Broad Street (looking North toward Central) c. 1940 called the Radio Shop. It was in the first fully pictured building on the right - the Vess Cola sign painted on the side shows Vradelis Brothers below.  Jim and Pete later operated a bigger store, adding furniture sales, across the street on South Broad St.

 James Vradelis and Stavros (aka Steve) Vradelis owned several Middletown businesses including a vulcanizing shop. Stavros then moved to Dayton and bought the Salem Theater which he operated until his retirement. Years later some news articles about the theater were discovered .
    

by 
Nick Demetrion

 

July 14, 1921  Thursday  Middletown, Ohio
 NEW TAILOR SHOP FOR THIRD STREET
     Ed Konig
, manager of the Famous Tailors, has purchased the tailoring shop of James Vradelis, 403 East Third street(Central Av), and will open a first class merchant tailoring, dry cleaning and pressing establishment there soon. Mr. Konig came to Middletown several years ago from Newport, Ky., and has established himself here firmly in the minds of the Middletown buyers. He is known as an excellent cutter and a merchant of unusually good taste as to the needs of his customers.

              by
      Vivian Moon
      22 Sept 2008

Alice and Bill Netsos bought the Garrett Tobacco Co. upon Garrett's retirement and ran it for years. They had a Grocery Store in the Avalon area for many years, then retired. After a restless retirement they bought the wholesale tobacco business, supplying tobacco products and candy bars to local businesses, such as Gus Christy's grocery store.
This is a picture of the building on Wilbraham Road where the Netsos Grocery was located prior to its later conversion to a residence.

by
 Carol Netsos Whitt
Aug. 2010

                            Politz Confectionary
Located at the corner of Third (Central Av.) and Broad St.  c.1915.
L-R: Alex Politz, his wife Catherine, her brother (Pete or George Lambesis), and another Politz, probably Jim, a partner in the business.

Note: Helen's husband, George, was Alex Politz' Godson.
Note: G.N.Revelos said the brother was likely George Lambesis, and the figure in the window might be a sign or poster.

by
Helen Jonson
12 Sept 2010

 Nicky Nick stands in front of the family store, the Ohio Grocery, located at 323 Clark Street and Flemming Rd. c 1941. His mother, Mary, was a classically trained pianist in Greece who studied at the Cincinnati College of Music briefly but then worked alongside her husband, Louis Nick, in his grocery.

By
Deborah McDonald
Oct 2010

 The Dukas Grocery store was located at 1635 Baltimore St. and operated by Steve and Esther Dukas. The building contained living quarters as well. After Steve died, Esther moved to California and opened the store pictured here in Culver City, which likewise contained living quarters in the building. Her daughter, Varta, lived nearby.

By
Deborah McDonald
Oct 2010

 The East End Restaurant was located at the corner of Crawford St. & Woodlawn Avenue.
It was owned and operated by Pete Kavouras from 1924 to 1947. It later changed names and owners several times as in this recent photo.

 

By George Christy Oct 2012

  The Liberty Restaurant was located on Central Av near Canal St.

It was owned and operated by Gus Valen from 1926 to 1951 and operation was continued by Otis Tekakis and John Pantel when Gus became ill. Still in the family, it is now up for sale in 2012.
Update: It has been sold and re-opened in 2013

This photo was taken during a party to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Liberty Restaurant. Gus Valen gives a balloon to his niece, Irene Pantel.

The Liberty Restaurant was for years the unofficial meeting place of Middletown's powerful people and many future decisions were formulated in the Round Table Room. Reporter Chad Pergram mentioned it in this partially reproduced article on John Boehner.

By George Christy Oct 2012

The Schomer Building was constructed in the late 1930's  by Louis Schomer  on the southeast corner of  Central and Clinton. On the upper floor of the building were offices, where Schomer had a real estate office  and two dentists C.T. Barthotomal and Waldo P. Ligett and one optometrist C.C.Marlett were located. The Paradise Grill at 1300 Central was operated by Peter Laras. At 1302 with P.C.James as manager, was the Capitol Loan and Savings Co., Leo's Stores Inc., sold auto accessories at 1306. Harrison Vail was the manager. The building in back on Clinton  contained the Clara E. Farenholtz Beauty Shop  and Thomas J. Cotzagianis' restaurant. This is  a c. 1939 photograph.
Photo and text from the George Crout Collection, Middletown Library Lens.

COMMENT: We knew that Laras had an eatery either next door to the  Revelos brothers (when they were at the Castell Drugs location) or one or two doors west of the Revelos brothers. (East of the Revelos  brothers was the canal.)
There was a gap for Laras after that location. Crout's picture and  information filled that gap.  Nick Kitson/Kitsos probably purchased  the Paradise from Laras and changed the name to Chrystal Restaurant. After Kitsos died, the restaurant was sold to George Dimitroula in 1943 and the name was changed to  Anchor Bar.  per N.Demetrion and his Research on Restaurants (Index/Maps)

Cotzagianis, aka Thos Athanasi  from Derekoy, Asia Minor (Turkey,) who owned the kaffeneo (most of the time) at 13 S. Clinton is listed as Thos. Cotzagianis, and  the address was later changed to 11 1/2 S. Clinton.   Nick Demetrion notes. (see Restaurant Rearch)

 From
Vivian Moon
-
Email
Mar 3, 2013

The Eliopoulos Beauty and Barber shops were located at 412 Crawford St. in the 1930's & 1940's. The house on the left is where the family lived and also where Effie Eliopoulos operated a beauty parlor in one room with the help of her 4 daughters. Nick Eliopoulos operated a barber shop in the building on the right. Both buildings are vacant today.

By George Christy Oct 2012

     

Back to Greek Ancestry
Please email any additional information or comments that you would like to include in the above research to
George Christy  
geochr@cinci.rr.com