Profiles of Roman Catholic Parishes
in Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Saint Joseph

through

Saint Paul

St. Joseph (West End)

Address: 745 Ezzard Charles Drive, Cincinnati, Ohio 45203
Telephone: (513) 381-4526
E-mail: stjosephchurch@fuse.net
Web Site: http://www.stjoseph-catholicchurch.org
Community: West End
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1846
Original Church Dedicated: December 20, 1846
Parent Parishes: Holy Trinity and St. John the Baptist, Green St.
Ethnicity: organized German, now 95% African-American
Records for this Parish are located at: St. Joseph (on-site)
Notes: The original church stood for 112 years at Linn and Laurel Sts. 
before it was torn down due to road widening.  The new church was
dedicated in 1965.
Bibliography:

St. Joseph (North Bend)

Address: 25 East Harrison Ave., North Bend, Ohio 45052
Telephone: (513) 941-3661
E-mail: stjosephnorthbend@adelphia.net
Web Site: http://www.stjosephnorthbend.com
Community: North Bend
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1860
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes: St. Aloysius, Delhi
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:  Prior to 1914 this parish was attended to by priests from St. Aloysius, Delhi.
Bibliography:

St. Joseph of Nazareth (St. Stephen)

Address:
Community: Over-The-Rhine
Location: Liberty and Elm Sts.
Status: Closed August 1, 1963
Congregation Organized: 1914 (as St. Stephen)
Original Church Dedicated: April 18, 1920
Parent Parishes: St. Stephen Hungarian Church, Mount Adams
Ethnicity: Hungarian
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes: St. Joseph's congregation bought the former St. Matthew 
Evangelical Church in 1919.  The "Hungarian" designation of
the parish ceased in the 1930's.  The church building was razed in 
1963 after the parish closed.
Bibliography:

St. Jude (Bridgetown)

Address: 5924 Bridgetown Rd., Cincinnati, Ohio 45248-3108
Telephone: (513) 574-1230, Fax: (513) 598-2118
E-mail:
Web Site: http://www.stjudebridgetown.org/
Community: Bridgetown
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Founded: 1956
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Lawrence

Address: 3680 Warsaw Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45205
Telephone: (513) 921-0328
E-mail:
Web Site: http://www.stlawrenceparish.org
+Treasured Catholic Churches of Cincinnati: St. Lawrence
Community: Price Hill
Location: at Carson Ave.
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1868
Original Church Dedicated: June 12, 1870
Parent Parishes: First offspring of St. Michael's
Ethnicity: English-speaking
Records for this Parish are located at:  St. Lawrence (on-site)
Notes:  Catholics in this area had previously attended services at
the Chapel of Mount St. Mary Seminary before St. Lawrence was created.
Bibliography:

St. Leo the Great

Address: 2573 St. Leo Pl., Cincinnati, Ohio 45225
Telephone: (513) 921-1044
E-mail: stleocinti@aol.com
Web Site:
Community: North Fairmount
Location: New Baltimore Pike and Trade Street (now St. Leo Place)
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1886
Original Church Dedicated: April 22, 1888
Parent Parishes: St. Bonaventure and Sacred Heart
Ethnicity: German 
Records for this Parish are located at: (on-site)
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Louis/St. Ludwig

Address: 29 E. Eighth St., Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
Telephone: (513) 263-6621
E-mail:
Web Site: http://stlouischurchcincinnati.org
Community: Downtown Cincinnati
Location: at Walnut St. & Eighth St.
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1869
Original Church Dedicated: March 13, 1870
Parent Parishes: Third filial parish of Old St. Mary
Ethnicity: German 
Records for this Parish are located at:  St. Louis
Notes: St. Ludwig's Kirche was originally built in 1870 for a Christian sect
known as the Campellites.  By 1900 the church shifted its focus from 
serving German Catholics to serving downtown workers.  From 1918-1970
there existed a 2 a.m. Printers' Mass.  The present St. Louis Church was built 
after St. Ludwig's was demolished in 1928.
Bibliography:

St. Margaret of Cortona

Address: 4100 Watterson St., Cincinnati, Ohio 45227
Telephone: (513) 271-0856, Fax: (513) 271-1513
E-mail: smcoffice@fuse.net
Web Site: http://www.sjvsmc.4lpi.com
Community:  Madisonville
Location: Murray Ave. & Simpson.
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Founded: 1921
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes: St. Margaret of Cortona united with Our Lady of Loretto in 1995.
Bibliography:

St. Margaret Mary

Address: 1830 W. Galbraith Rd., Cincinnati, Ohio 45239-4849
Telephone: (513) 521-7387
E-mail: mmason@zoomtown.com
Web Site: http://www.stmargaretmaryparish.org
Community: North College Hill
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Founded: 1920
Original Church Dedicated: January 1922 (?)
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Mark

Address: 3500 Montgomery Rd., Cincinnati, Ohio 45207
Telephone: (513) 961-0472
E-mail:
Web Site: http://www.stmarkcinti.com
Community: Evanston
Location: at Duck Creek Road
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1905
Original Church Dedicated: October 28, 1906
Parent Parishes: St. Francis de Sales and St. Elizabeth (Norwood)
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Martin de Porres

Address: 9927 Wayne Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45215
Telephone: (513) 554-4010, Fax: (513) 554-4010
E-mail:
Web Site:
Community: Lincoln Heights
Location:
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Founded: 1935
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Martin of Tours (Cheviot)

Address: 3720 St. Martin Place, Cincinnati, Ohio 45211
Telephone: (513) 661-2000
E-mail: wesseler@choice.net
Web Site: http://www.saintmartin.org
Community: Cheviot
Location: at Glenmore Avenue
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1911
Original Church Dedicated: October 20, 1912
Parent Parishes: St. Aloysius (Bridgetown) and St. Catharine (Westwood)
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Mary (Hyde Park)

Address: 2853 Erie Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45208
Telephone: (513) 321-1207
E-mail: parish@saintmaryhydepark.org
Web Site: http://www.saintmaryhydepark.org
Community: Hyde Park
Location:
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: May 1898
Original Church Dedicated: November 22, 1903
Parent Parishes: Holy Angels
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Matthew

Address: 2310 Robertson Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio
Community: Norwood
Location: at Smith & Floral
Status: Merged to become Holy Trinity (Norwood) in 1994.
Congregation Organized: 1906
Original Church Dedicated: November 3, 1906
Parent Parishes: St. Elizabeth, Norwood
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at: Holy Trinity
Notes: On July 1, 1994 the parishes of St. Elizabeth, St. Matthew, and 
Sts. Peter and Paul formed one parish under the name Holy Trinity. 
The parish is located on the sight of Sts. Peter and Paul Church.  
St. Matthew Church, built in 1924, was purchased by Immaculate 
Conception parish in 1995.  Immaculate Conception says they are "Roman 
Catholic" but they are not aligned with the Archdiocese.  They are a 
traditional "Roman Rite" church under the name "Society of St. Pius V."
Bibliography:

St. Matthias the Apostle (Forest Park)

Address: 1050 West Kemper Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45240-1706
Telephone: (513) 851-1930, Fax: (513) 589-3850
E-mail: stmattfp@aol.com
Web Site:
Community: Forest Park
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Founded: 1967
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Michael the Archangel (Lower Price Hill)

Address: 2110 St. Michael St., Cincinnati, Ohio 
Community: Lower Price Hill/Storrs Township/21st Ward
Location:
Status: Closed April 5, 1998, absorbed by Holy Family (Price Hill)
Congregation Organized: 1847
Original Church Dedicated: June 4, 1848
Parent Parishes: First filial parish of St. Joseph, Linn Street
Ethnicity: founded by 45 German Catholics but became a mix of African-Americans, Irish, and German.
Records for this Parish are located at: Holy Family?
Notes:  The Comboni Missionaries took charge of the parish in 1964.  
Bibliography:

St. Michael (Sharonville)

Address: 11144 Spinner Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45241
Telephone: (513) 563- 6377
E-mail:
Web Site: http://www.rc.net/cincinnati/stmichael
Community: Sharonville
Location: at Creek Rd.
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1919
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes: St. Gabriel
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Monica

Address: 328 West McMillan St., Cincinnati, Ohio 45219
Telephone: (513) 381-6400
E-mail: st.monica-st.george@fuse.net
Web Site: http://home.fuse.net/stmonica-stgeorge
+Treasured Catholic Churches of Cincinnati: St. Monica  
Community: Fairview Heights (Clifton Heights)
Location:
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1910
Original Church Dedicated: November 10, 1912
Parent Parishes: St. George, St. Francis Seraph, St. John, 
St. Augustine and Sacred Heart
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at: St. Monica (on-site)
Notes: St. Monica served as the Archdiocesan Cathedral between 1938 and 1957.
In 1993,  St. Monica merged with St. George and the parish has since been 
called St. Monica-St. George. It now serves as the Newman Center for students at the
University of Cincinnati.
Bibliography:

St. Patrick (St. Aloysius)

Address: 1662 Blue Rock, Cincinnati, Ohio 
Community: Northside/Cumminsville
Location: at Turrill and Cherry
Status: Closed December 1991, united with St. Boniface
Congregation Organized: 1852
Original Church Dedicated: January 30, 1853
Parent Parishes: St. Aloysius
Ethnicity: Irish only, beginning in 1863
Records for this Parish are located at: St. Boniface
Notes: Formerly St. Aloysius. In 1861 St. Aloysius (now St. Patrick's) held 
a lottery.   It was decided that the Irish would remain at 
St. Aloysius and that the Germans would receive $1,500 to help
build a separate church.  St. Boniface was constructed at that time.
St. Aloysius moved from their Delaney Street location in 1873 and 
built St. Patrick's.
Bibliography:

St. Patrick

Address:
Community: Cincinnati
Location: Third and Mill Sts.   
Status: Closed 1918
Congregation Organized: 1850
Original Church Dedicated: November 24, 1850
Parent Parishes: St. Peter in Chains Cathedral
Ethnicity: Irish
Records for this Parish are located at: Chancery Office of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, 
100 E. 8th St., Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, (513) 421-3131
Notes:  Church was demolished to make way for a railroad.
Bibliography:

St. Paul (Over-the-Rhine)

Address: 12th and Spring Sts.
Web Site: Over-The-Rhine Chamber of Commerce: St. Paul
Community: Over-The-Rhine
Status: Closed 1974
Congregation Organized: Winter 1847 (1848)
Original Church Dedicated: January 20, 1850
Parent Parishes: Old St. Mary's; St. Paul's was to take care of the members 
of St. Mary's who lived east of Clay Street.
Ethnicity: German
Records for this Parish are located at: Old St. Mary's Church
Notes: In 1899 a fire destroyed all but the church walls and stained 
glass windows.  The church was deconsecrated in 1974 and was named 
to the National Register of Historic Places that same year.  In 1981, 
the Verdin Company, a bell and clock company, purchased the church, 
convent, schools, and rectory.  The buildings were restored and the 
church was transformed into a bell and clock museum/showroom.  
The other buildings were transformed into company offices. 
Bibliography:

© 1997-2008 by David J. Endres