Profiles of Roman Catholic Parishes
in Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Saint Peter

through

Saint Xavier

 
 

St. Peter

Address:
Community: South Fairmount
Location: Lick Run
Status: Closed 1868, became St. Bonaventure
Congregation Organized: 1844
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes: Original Church
Ethnicity: German
Records for this Parish are located at: St. Bonaventure has records from St. Peter spanning 1854-1869.
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Peter in Chains Cathedral

Address: 325 West 8th, Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
Telephone: (513) 421-5354, Fax: (513) 241-9517
E-mail:
Web Site: http://www.stpeterinchainscathedral.org
+Treasured Catholic Churches of Cincinnati: St. Peter in Chains Cathedral
Community: Downtown Cincinnati
Location: at Central Ave., 8th & Plum Sts.
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1840
Original Church Dedicated: November 2, 1845
Parent Parishes: Christ Church
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes: Sycamore Street was the location of the first diocesan cathedral.
It was dedicated to St. Peter on December 17, 1826.  Christ Church's frame 
building was moved to this location in 1826 to serve as the first seminary.  
In 1840 the land for a new cathedral was purchased and work was begun.
St. Monica, Fairview Heights served as the cathedral between 
1938 and 1957.
Bibliography:

Ss. Peter and Paul (Reading)

Address: 417 W. Vine St., Reading, Ohio 45215
Telephone: (513) 554-1010
E-mail: peterandpaul@att.net
Web Site: http://www.saintspeterandpaulreading.com
Community: Reading
Location: at Church Street
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1850
Original Church Dedicated: May 25, 1851
Parent Parishes: Original Church
Ethnicity:  German
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

Ss. Peter and Paul

Address: 2420 Drex Avenue 
Community: Norwood
Location: Montgomery Rd. at Drex Ave.
Status: United into Holy Trinity (Norwood), 1994.
Congregation Organized: 1906
Original Church Dedicated: July 21, 1907
Parent Parishes: St. Elizabeth, Norwood
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at: Holy Trinity (on-site)
Notes: On July 1, 1994 the parishes of St. Elizabeth, St. Matthew, and 
Sts. Peter and Paul formed one parish, Holy Trinity. The parish was
located on the sight of Ss. Peter and Paul Church.
Bibliography:

St. Philomena

Address:  619 East Third Street, Cincinnati, Ohio
Community: Downtown Cincinnati
Location: East Pearl (Congress) and Fourth St. (3rd St.)
Status: Closed 1954
Congregation Organized: 1846
Original Church Dedicated: May 21, 1848
Parent Parishes: Holy Trinity
Ethnicity: German
Records for this Parish are located at: Chancery Office of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, 
100 E. 8th St., Cincinnati, Ohio 45202, (513) 421-3131
Notes: St. Philomena was the fourth German Catholic Church in Cincinnati.
Bibliography:

St. Pius

Address: 1814 Dreman Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 
Community: South Cumminsville
Location: at Borden St.
Status: Closed April 5, 1998, absorbed by St. Joseph, West End
Congregation Organized: 1910
Original Church Dedicated: April 16, 1911
Parent Parishes: St. Boniface
Ethnicity: was predominately German, then African American
Records for this Parish are located at: St. Joseph, West End?
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Richard of Chichester

Address: 
Community: College Hill
Location:
Status: Closed in 1992, absorbed by St. Therese the Little Flower Parish
Congregation Organized: 1945
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Robert Bellarmine

Address: 3800 Victory Pkwy., Cincinnati, Ohio 45207-2211
Telephone: (513) 745-3398, Fax: (513) 745-2031
E-mail: bollman@xavier.xu.edu
Web Site: http://www.bellarminechapel.org
Location: at 3801 Ledgewood Dr. on the campus of Xavier University.
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Founded: 1927
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Bibliography:

St. Rose of Lima

Address: 2501 Eastern Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
Telephone: (513) 871-1162
E-mail: strosecin@aol.com
Web Site:
Community: East End-Fulton
Location: at Lumber Street
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1867
Original Church Dedicated: May 21, 1869
Parent Parishes: St. Philomena and St. Francis de Sales
Ethnicity: German 
Records for this Parish are located at: St. Rose (on-site)
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Saviour

Address: 4136 Myrtle Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45236
Telephone: (513) 791-9004, Fax: (513) 791-6530
E-mail: stsaviour@fuse.net
Web Site: http://home.fuse.net/stsaviourchurch
Community: Rossmoyne
Location: at Plainfield
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Founded: 1947
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Simon the Apostle

Address: 825 Pontius Rd., Cincinnati, Ohio 45233-1324
Telephone: (513) 941-3656
E-mail: stsimon@isoc.net
Web Site: http://www.stsimonparish.org
Community:
Location:
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Founded: 1966
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Stanislaus

Address:
Community: Cincinnati
Location: Liberty and Cutter Sts.
Status: Closed 1935
Congregation Organized: 1872 (1873)
Original Church Dedicated: April 28, 1875
Parent Parishes: Original Polish National Church
Ethnicity: Polish
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Stephen

Address: 3804 Eastern Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45226
Telephone: (513) 871-3373
E-mail: ststephenchurchcnti@msn.com
Web Site:
Community: Columbia-Tusculum
Location: Church is at 320 Donham Ave.
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1867
Original Church Dedicated: November 3, 1867
Parent Parishes: St. Philomena and St. Francis de Sales
Ethnicity: German
Records for this Parish are located at: St. Stephen (on-site)
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Stephen

Address:
Community:  Mount Adams
Location: Baum Street
Status: Became St. Joseph of Nazareth
Congregation Organized: 1914
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes: Original Hungarian National Church
Ethnicity: Hungarian 
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Teresa of Avila (Price Hill)

Address: 1175 Overlook Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45238
Telephone: (513) 921-9200
E-mail: stteresa@fuse.net
Web Site: http://www.stteresa-avila.org
+Treasured Catholic Churches of Cincinnati: St. Teresa
Community: Price Hill
Location:
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: August 1916
Original Church Dedicated: December 24, 1916
Parent Parishes: St. Lawrence and St. William
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Therese-The Little Flower

Address: 5560 Kirby Ave., Cincinnati, Ohio 45239-6824
Telephone: (513) 541-5560, Fax: (513) 681-2631
E-mail: janlf@zoomtown.com
Web Site: http://home.catholicweb.com/LittleFlowerCinti/index.cfm
Community:
Location:
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Founded: 1926
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Thomas

Address: Sycamore St.
Community: Downtown Cincinnati
Location: between 5th & 6th
Status: Closed 1918
Congregation Organized: 1852
Original Church Dedicated: January 2, 1853
Parent Parishes: St. Francis Xavier, Sycamore St.
Ethnicity: Irish
Records for this Parish are located at: St. Xavier, Sycamore Street has 
records up to 1860.
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Thomas Aquinas

Address:
Community:  Avondale
Status: Closed
Congregation Organized: 1926
Original Church Dedicated: 1927
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:  The Dominicans came to open this parish after a long absence from the Archdiocese.
Bibliography:

St. Vincent de Paul

Address: 4026 River Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45204
Telephone: (513) 451-5714
E-mail: frlock7@fuse.net
Web Site:
Community: Sedamsville-Riverside
Location:
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1861
Original Church Dedicated: August 3, 1862
Parent Parishes: Second filial parish of St. Patrick's
Ethnicity: English-speaking after 1878
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes: In 1878, the German members of St. Vincent formed their own parish, Our Lady of Perpetual Help.  The English-speaking
parishioners continued to worship at St. Vincent's. In 1928, a shrine to St. Christopher, the patron of motorists, was erected near the
highway.  The shrine, the first in America to honor St. Christopher, was implemented by Father William O'Connor.  In 1989,
Our Lady of Perpetual Help closed and the parishes united.
Bibliography:

St. Vincent Ferrer

Address: 7754 Montgomery Rd., Cincinnati, Ohio 45236-4202
Telephone: (513) 791-9030
E-mail:
Web Site: http://www.svfchurch.org
Community: Kenwood
Location:
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1946
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Vivian

Address: 7600 Winton Rd., Cincinnati, Ohio 45224
Telephone: (513) 728-4331, 728-4332, Fax: (513) 728-4335
E-mail: rectory@stvivian.org
Web Site: http://www.stvivian.org/
Community:
Location:
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Founded: 1943
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Willibrord

Address: Walnut and Liberty Sts.
Community: Over-The-Rhine     
Status: Closed 1866 (1860)
Congregation Organized: 1852
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes:
Ethnicity: Dutch (Netherlands)
Records for this Parish are located at: No records are known to exist.
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. William (Price Hill)

Address: 4108 W. 8th Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45205
Telephone: (513) 921-0247
E-mail: ehenry@saintwilliam.com
Web Site: http://www.saintwilliam.com
+Treasured Catholic Churches of Cincinnati: St. William
Community: Price Hill
Location: at Sunset Ave.
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1909
Original Church Dedicated: May 22, 1910
Parent Parishes: St. Lawrence
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes:
Bibliography:

St. Xavier/ St. Francis Xavier

Address: 607 Sycamore St., Cincinnati, Ohio 45202
Telephone: (513) 721- 4045
E-mail:
Web Site: http://www.stxchurch.homestead.com
Community: Downtown Cincinnati
Status: Currently Active
Congregation Organized: 1845
Original Church Dedicated:
Parent Parishes: St. Peter In Chains
Ethnicity:
Records for this Parish are located at:
Notes: Sycamore Street was the location of the first diocesan cathedral. It was dedicated to St. Peter on December 17, 1826. 
Christ Church's frame building was moved to this location in 1826 to serve as the first seminary.  St. Francis Xavier has existed
as its own parish since 1845 when the cathedral was moved elswehere.  The parish has been under the direction of the Society 
of Jesus (Jesuits) since 1840.
Bibliography:

© 1997-2008 by David J. Endres