The Lodge Street Synagogue was founded in 1841, and moved into the temple on Lodge Street in 1848. They hired Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise in 1854 from Albany, New York and he remained affiliated with the congregation until his death in 1909. Rabbi Mayer was also the founder of Hebrew Union College. Lodge Street Synagogue merged with the Reading Road Temple to become the Isaac Mayer Wise Temple in 1931. The Synagogue was very active during the 1800's and early 1900's.
Early Churches and Synagogues
©2000 by Tina