This township had its origin in the manifest need of a new municipality for the convenience of the increasing population in the northwestern part of the county, which in 1855 caused the erection by the county commissioners of Harrison from Crosby and Whitewater townships. It is the northernmost township of the county. Its boundary lines are wholly artificial, and begin on the dry fork of Whitewater, at the southeast quarter of section thirty-three, in range one, township three; thence westward three miles to the county and State line; thence north six miles to the Butler county line; thence east three miles to the northeast corner of section four; thence south to the place of beginning. Dearborn county, Indiana, lies next to the westward; Butler county on the north; four miles of Crosby and two miles of Whitewater townships on the east; and Whitewater township on the south.
Harrison lies altogether upon Congress land, in the west half of the third township, range one. It thus contains eighteen sections of land, which cover a little more territory than so many exactly full sections, by reason of some divergence of meridian lines in the easternmost tier, making some of them a little broader than should be. The central and western tiers are beautifully regular squares, appropriately exact. The acres of the township number eleven thousand one hundred and forty-seven.
Harrison township lies chiefly in the valleys of the Whitewater and Dry fork of the Whitewater, giving its surface a generally flat and fertile character. The former stream enters from Indiana upon section nineteen, half a mile south of Harrison village, and flows in a tortuous course of about three miles through four western and southern sections of the township to its point of exit nearly half way across the southern township line. The Dry fork skirts the southern half of the eastern line, with several ins and outs, and an exceedingly winding course, leaving the township finally almost exactly at the southeast corner. LEE's creek, with two other tributaries flowing into the Dry fork in Crosby township, partly or wholly intersect the northeastern part of Harrison; and some of the headwaters of Whitewater river, flowing to the west of
The Whitewater Valley railroad,
keeping pretty close to the river whence it takes its name, enters,
that, the township below Harrison village, and runs for about four
to a point half a mile east of the river and a little more than a mile
from the southeast corner of the township, where it departs into
township. The Whitewater canal formerly had its course in part through
this township, nearly on the same line as the railroad, and also
so far as Hamilton county is concerned, near Harrison village. Its
is recorded in a chapter of part I of this book. The Harrison turnpike
also comes in from the direction of Miamitown, near the southeast
of section twenty-eight, and runs thence in a nearly straight and due
course across the township to the village of Harrison.
The limited tract of Harrison
township does not abound in ancient remains, but still possesses some
interest, as the mounds on BONNELL's hill, in the eastern part of the
which are understood to be among the burial-places of the long-gone
in the valleys of the Whitewater and the Great Miami.
About 1803 a regular Baptist
church, attached to the Miami Baptist association, was organized in
is now the northern part of Harrison township, and took the name of Dry
Fork of Whitewater church, a singular name for a church of
truly. In 1836 this society went off with the anti-mission Baptist
and is said to have lost its identity altogether in 1853. At this time
the majority of the association, in membership and vastly so in number
of churches, including this one, joined the anti-mission standard.
The great event in the brief
history of this, the youngest township of Hamilton county, was the John
MORGAN raid, which occurred ten years after the creation of the
or in July, 1863. The invading force crossed it on the main roads, but
entered k on but one that through Harrison village. The advert of
and his horde at that place was a thorough surprise. It was known by
people that he was somewhere to the westward in Indiana; but his
of march was unknown, and there was no special reason to expect him at
Harrison. MORGAN'S forces were, indeed, considerably scattered in
Indiana, on the twelfth of July, and it was exceedingly difficult to
the leader's intentions; but on that day and the forepart of the next
moved rapidly by converging roads upon Harrison, at which one point
struck Ohio. About one o'clock in the afternoon of the thirteenth the
of the rebel command was seen streaming down the hillsides on the west
side of the valley, and the alarm was at once given in the streets of
Citizens hastened at once to secrete valuables and run off their
but in a very few moments the enemy was swarming all over the town. The
generally behaved pretty well, however, offering few insults to the
and maltreating no women or other person. They secured what horses they
could, and thronged the stores, taking whatever they fancied. The
character of the stealing, as described by Colonel DUKE in our chapter
on the MORGAN raid through Ohio, was manifest here. One gentleman who
a drug and notion store was despoiled of nothing but soap and
He had a large stock of albums, which were popular then, and expected
see them go rapidly; but not one was taken. Similar incidents are
of other shops in the village; and from one and another a large amount
of goods in the aggregate was taken. But there was no robbery from
to house, or from the person; and after a very few hours stay, having
themselves and their horses, and gained all desired information, the
of the column began to file out of the village in the direction of
on the Harrison turnpike. Reaching the junction of the New Haven road a
third of a mile out, part of the force took to that thoroughfare, and
eastward through Crosby township, crossing the Great Miami at New
The remainder kept down the Harrison pike, through Whitewater township,
crossing the river at Miamitown. Their passage on both roads was
by no special incident, and was of course entirely unopposed. That same
night found the invading force abreast of Cincinnati, and the next day
out of the county, after a tremendous midsummer march of thirty hours.
But the thrilling story has been related elsewhere, and need not be
dwelt upon here.
For the following list of veteran volunteers from Harrison township, in the late war, credit is due to the handsome double number of the Harrison News, published Christmas day, 1879:
Bruce KEEN, Jackson WILLIAMS and Alexander WILES, of company C, Fifth Ohio cavalry, all reenlisted February 15, 1864, and mustered · in March 16, 1864.
Christopher DOERMAN same company and regiment, reenlisted March 31, 1864, mustered in April 25, 1864.
Arthur HILL, same command, reenlisted March 29, 1864, mustered in April 25th, same year.
Will R. HARTPENCE, company C, Fifty-first Indiana infantry, reenlisted January 1, 1864, mustered in February 12, 1864.
William T. CAMPBELL, George W. PIERCE, Francis M. SHOOK, Joseph DAVIS, William GOLD, William ORR, and David H. LAWRENCE, Fifty-second Indiana infantry, enlisted and mustered in February 27, 1864.
Frank CRETS and Isaac JACKSON, Seventeenth Indiana battery, reenlisted and mustered in January 1, 1864.
John ASHBY was born in the territory of Indiana, in 1810, June 2nd. Fourteen years after that date he went to Cincinnati, Ohio. When he came to Ohio he learned the tanher's and currier's trade, but abandoned it afterward, and, coming to Harrison, entered into partnership with his brother, Hamilton, for the purpose of trading in dry goods. In 1843 he was appointed postmaster of
Warren TIBBS, born in Prince William county, Virginia, in 1791, emigrated from North Carolina to Ohio in 1807, when he located his home in Harrison. During his early life he was a farmer, but afterward followed the hotel business at the place now owned by Dr. THOMAS. At one time, while a river trader between New Orleans and Harrison, he was obliged to sell his boat and walk back with no protection excepting his rifle. He was twice chosen to represent Dearborn county, Indiana, in the State legislature. At different times he held the offices of postmaster, justice of the peace, and township trustee. In the Indian war he had a part under General HARRISON. In politics he has always been a Democrat.
He married Elizabeth, a native of Kentucky, in 1815, who was born in 1794. Her death occurred at Williamsport, Indiana, in 1875. Her husband died at the same place in 1872. They had ten children: Alvin G., whose wife was Maria SNYDER, of Harrison; Francis M., married to Tillie McNELBA, and living in Louisiana; Moses, married and living in Nevada; Loria A., married to James CLOUD, and now in Indiana; Louisa, the wife first of Simon SMYTHE and afterward of James TORRENCE, now a resident of Indiana; Loretta, living in the same State; Lydia, the wife of Doctor MILLER, of Indiana; Martha A., married to Isaac ROSEBERRY, and Elizabeth, to Henry JOHNSON, both living in Indiana; and one child that died in infancy before it had been named.
Alvin G. TIBBS was born in Indiana, in the year 1816. For three years he attended school at Oxford, Ohio, afterward dividing his time between farming and teaching school. In Indiana he held the office of justice of peace, and was twice elected to the legislature of that State from Dearborn county. He married Maria SNYDER of Pennsylvania in 1838. He was a member of the Christian church; in politics was always a Democrat. He died in 1856, his wife surviving him. They have had seven children - Theodore, who died while an infant; Fannie, now living in Indiana; Warren, married to Ellma LAYMEN and residing in the same State; George B., of Indiana, also, married to Maria GUNKLE; John H., whose wife is Sarah A. KEEN, now of Hamilton county; Arthur G., now of Lawrenceburgh, Indiana; and James W., married to Emma HILLMAN of the same State.
John F., son of Alvin G. TIBBS, was born in Harrison, in 1845, where he gained a common school education to which he added three years at Oyler's college. In 1859 he learned the miller's trade which he followed- for a time but finally gave it up and engaged as clerk with W. W. DAVIDSON & Co. In 1870 he began the business of "Men's Furnishing Goods" which he still follows under the firm name of TIBBS Brothers, the only store of the kind in Harrison. He is a member of the Christian church; served one term on the board of education of Harrison. He married Sarah A. KEEN, a native of Indiana, in 1868. They have four children, John, Bertha, James, and Arthur.
William F. CONVERSE was born in Randolph, Orange county, Vermont, June 10, 1812. Attending the Orange County academy, he took the regular course of study. When sixteen years old he went to Rochester to live, where he served an apprenticeship to the gunsmith's trade. In 1836 he came to Hamilton county, and at first settled in Cincinnati. There he entered the employ of Abel COX in the manufacture of guns, on Elm street. After remaining there three years he came to Harrison and opened an establishment for the manufacture of guns. After a short time, owing to ill health, he sold his interest to Henry MINOR. He left his trade and followed school teaching for three years; he then engaged as bookkeeper and cashier for William HASSON of Harrison. In 1849 he invented the simultaneous screw cutting machine that came into general use in a short time. In 1861 invented the elastic wire bed bottom, an article generally used throughout the United States. In 1846 he was elected representative from Hamilton county on the Democratic ticket, and afterward reelected. In 1853 he was elected to the State senate, and two years later reelected. In 1863 he was elected on the Union ticket county commissioner. At one time he also held the office of trustee of Harrison township, and was elected the first mayor of Harrison, He is a member of the Christian church; in politics an independent, always voting for whom he may think the best man. He married Margaret J. SNYDER of Hamilton county, Ohio, in 1847. They have eight children: Augusta and Francis, of Hamilton county; Oliver, married to Cora BALL and now in Stark county; William, married to Rebecca WEST and residing also in Stark county; Frederick, living in Harrison; Annie, living in Harrison county; and Edith and Bertha, both of Harrison. He served as president of the school board of Harrison for many years, was always interested in educational matters, and was the first to organize the present school system in Harrison, writing and putting up the first notice to call a meeting over thirty years ago. He was the prime mover, too, in the organization of a cemetery board, and has been president of the Glenhaven cemetery for the past twenty-five years.
George ARNOLD was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1784, but emigrated from New Jersey to Ohio, and settled in Elizabethtown, Whitewater township. In 1828 he moved into Indiana, where he remained thirty years. While there, he was representative from Dearborn county two successive terms. He was also elected county commissioner for the same county. Later in his life he returned to Ohio, where he remained till his death which occurred in 1866, at Lawrenceburgh, Indiana. He was killed by a fall from his carriage. He married
George W. ARNOLD was born in Elizabethtown, Ohio, in 1823, where he began the business of farming and stock raising, in which he is now engaged. When seven years of age, he went with his father to Indiana, where he remained till 1855. As a Democrat, he held the office of township trustee several years. In 1855 he returned to Ohio, and settled on the farm, where he now lives. Since coming to this State, he has held the offices of trustee and school director. In 1844 he was married to Hannah B. HERRIN, of Ohio. They have had eight children: Joanna, Emma, John H., Mary, George W., married to Helen, and living in Hamilton county; Charles A., married to Kittie CALOWAY and also now in Hamilton county; Purley and Katie.
Andrew M. WAKEFIELD was born in Hamilton county, January 11, 1819, and died November 10, 1873. He always followed the business of farming, at the same time served several times as trustee of Crosby township. Early in life he was a Presbyterian, but later became a Methodist. In politics he was a Democrat. He married Phoebe Alberton, a native of Ohio, and of Welsh descent.
W. F. WAKEFIELD was born in 1844, in Crosby township, where he received a common school education. He remained on his father's farm till twenty-one years of age, when he attended school at Farmer's college at College Hill. From there he went to Mr. NELSON's Commercial college at Cincinnati, where he remained but a short time, accepting a place as bookkeeper in the wholesale house of D. B. DUNLEVY & Co. This position was followed by that of soliciting agent for a grain commission house, when, after two years of service he spent some time in travelling through the Indian territory. Returning to Harrison, he married Emma SHOOBRIDGE, and has held at different times the offices of corporation clerk of Harrison, and assessor. Since his marriage he has been twice in the employ of Mr. G. W. KEEN in the grocery business with John SMALL, in the saw-mill business for himself, and at present, is bookkeeper for James CAMPBELL. He is a member of the Presbyterian church, and a Democrat in politics. He has two children.
Robert CARY was born in Lynn, New Hampshire, January 24, 1787, and moved with his father to the Northwest Territory in 1802, and settled in Cincinnati, but eventually moved to College Hill. A soldier in the war of 1812, he was with General HULL at the surrender of Detroit. His death took place November 13, 1866. He was a quiet, upright man, respected by all who knew him. In 1813, he was married to Eliza JESSUP, of Hamilton county, Ohio, who died July 30, 1835. They had nine children: Rowena, married to Isaac B. CARRIHAN; Susan, married to Alexander SWIFT; Rhoda, Alice, Asa, whose wife was Leah A. WOODRUFF, of Hamilton county; Phoebe; Warren, whose wives were Martha A. TREMPER and Emma TREMPER, of Hamilton county; Lucy; and Elmira, married to Alexander SWIFT.
Warren CARY was born in Hamilton county, October 16, 1826, where he received a common school education and also took a course of study at College Hill. He is a farmer, in which business he has been engaged nearly. all his life. In politics he is a Republican; in religious belief a Universalist. His three. children are Robert, Alexander S., and Clarence W.
Robert CARY was born in Hamilton county, in 1850, where he received a common school education and also a two years' course at College Hill. He married Eliza WILSON, of the same county, in 1874. They have two children, Elmira and Martha. He is a farmer in business, in politics a Republican.
Matthew BROWN, a native of Ireland, was born in the year 1753, but emigrated to Ohio from South Carolina, and settled, in 1803, on the farm now owned by John Baughman, in Harrison. He was a farmer by occupation, a Democrat in politics. His wife was Jane Jones, a native of South Carolina. She had eight children: Nancy, married to Samuel Harlen, and living in Indiana; David, married to Susan Gladwell, and also in Indiana; Katie, the wife of George Harlen, and living in Iowa; Robert, married to Katie Cotton, also in Indiana; Samuel, married to Betsey Atherton, and living in Indiana; Sarah, the wife of Thomas Goulding, of Indiana; Betsey, married to Isaac Ferris and residing in Hamilton county; and John, married to Sarah HERM, of the same county.
John BROWN was born in South Carolina, in 1803, and came to Ohio with his parents. He has been a farmer all his life, and for many years was a member of the Harrison school board. In politics he is a Democrat. He married Sarah HERIN, of New Jersey, in 1824. August 30, 1874, he died at the age of 1871. He was the father of seven children: Jane, now the wife of James CHARELTON, of Butler county, Ohio; John, married to Sarah ELLIS and living in Indiana; Martha and Rebecca, both living in Hamilton county; Sarah, wife of Jehu JOHN, and now living in Illinois; Hannah, married to John VANAUSDALL, and now in Hamilton county; and Jefferson, remaining in the same place.
George G. OYLER was born in England, in 1815, came to the United States with his father in 1828, and first settled in Hamilton county on the farm now owned by Thomas BOWLES. After serving an apprenticeship with Mr. D. A. DAVIDSON, he followed the painter's trade for thirty-five years, but at present devotes himself entirely
Frederick BIDDINGER, senior, was a native of Fayette county, Pennsylvania. He was born in 1804, and came to Ohio with his father and settled in Butler county. After a year they moved to this county, and in 1810 he began on the farm which he now occupies. At present he is in possession of a fine competency. A Democrat in politics, he held the office of trustee of Harrison township one year; has always taken a deep interest in public improvements, and was instrumental in the laying out of the Biddinger pike, running from Harrison to Oxford. He is a member of the English Lutheran church; has held the office of trustee in the church for many years, and has always been deeply interested in the subject of education of youth. He married Sarah BLACK, of Ohio, who died in 1873. The children are John W., married to Margaret OTTO and now living in Butler county, Ohio; George A., married to Catharine SIMONSON, and now in this county; Emeline, wife of John LIVINGSTON, now in the same county; Jacob, married to Sarah STEPHENS, also living in this county; Angeline, now the wife of William HUTCHINSON, and residing in Missouri; Catharine, in this county; Melinda, Mrs. Thomas THOMAS of the same county; Martha, the wife of Martis HOLOWELL, and now residing in Indiana; Wesley M., married to Fanny McINTYRE, and now in Illinois; and Lewis F., of this county.
Asa R. MITTLER born in Dearborn county, Indiana, in 1817, is a farmer of Hamilton county, where he settled in 1848. The first few years he was a resident of Harrison township, and while there he dealt in stock. In 1852 he organized a company and went over the plains to California where he was engaged for a year in mining and keeping hotel, and returned to Ohio by way of Panama. At the end of two years he purchased a farm in Whitewater township, on which he lived until 1870, when he moved to the place on which is now his home. While in Whitewater township he held the office of township trustee and treasurer for a number of years, and has filled the same office in the township where he now resides. He has always been a Democrat. February 22, 1855, he was married to Euphemia RITTENHOUE of Ohio. The children are Alice, Ellen (now the wife of George ARNOLD), Charles, George, and Mabel.
John JONES, born in Baltimore county, Maryland, first settled in Harrison township in 1809. He was both a farmer and miller. In religious faith he was a Baptist, but never united with a church. His wife was Sarah HARRIMAN Their children are Betsy, Sarah, Rachel, Temperance, Ruth, Nancy, Rebecca, Stephen and Ellen.
Benjamin SIMONSON, the oldest member of the family of Aaron and Margaret SIMONSON was born in this county in 1827 In 1864 he entered into partnership with George and John PUNNY, for the manufacture of bedsteads, in which business he continued four years, when he disposed of his interest and returned to his farm. He is a member of the Sand Hill grange, in which he has twice held the place of overseer, and was also an officer in the Ancient Order of Red Men. In politics he classes himself with the Democratic party. In 1848 he married Maria JOHNSON, of Indiana. Their nine children are Margaret E., now Mrs. Harry SLEET; Nicholas J., Pricilla, Helen M., Mary E., Zaruma, Benjamin F., Maria A., and Charles G.
George HOPPING was born in Whitewater township in 1826, where he received an ordinary education, and began the business of farming. lie is a strong Republican, and always has shown much interest in education. In 1850 he was married to Rebecca IRELAND a citizen of Indiana. He has six children William, Frank, Charles, Laura, Hattie, and Lillie.
Robert MARVIN was born September 12, 1770, in Lynne, Connecticut. He was left an orphan when three years old. When a young man he engaged in teaching. About the year 1800 he moved to Morristown, New Jersey, and soon after was married to the widow of Moses ROSS. Her maiden name was Phoebe FORD About the year 1805 he emigrated to Harrison, Hamilton county, Ohio. The journey westward as far as wheeling was made in a covered wagon, drawn by horses and oxen. The rest of the trip was effected m a flatboat down the Ohio river to Cincinnati. He settled on land obtained by his predecessor from the Government at four dollars per acre, and entered the adjoining quarter section from the Government. He and his wife were members of the Presbyterian church. lie was an Abolitionist of the old style, and so noted for his zeal that he was threatened with expulsion from the church! He died in January, 1842, in his seventy-second year. His wife survived him about ten years, expiring in the eighty-third year of her age.
Samuel R. MARVIN was born in Dover, Morris county, New Jersey, June 5, 1804. lie came to this State with his parents, and first settled on the farm now owned by Mrs. Narcissa SNOW, in Harrison township. At one time he attended the Miami university at Oxford. He devoted twenty years to teaching school. He received the rudiments of a good English education from his scholarly father, but by reason of weak eyes was never able to pursue a regular course of study. He was a great reader, a close observer of human nature, and, in his day, succeeded well as a teacher, in which profession he spent the best part of his life. In 1842 he married Julia A. PLACE, who was born in New York in 1808. After his marriage he became a farmer, which business he followed the remainder of his life. He filled the office of township clerk for Harrison township, and was also a member of the school board, in the same township, for several years. Early in his life he was a believer in Universalism, but he afterward adopted the Swedenborgian faith. In politics he was an Old Line Whig, a strong Abolitionist, and, after the forming of the Republican party he became a Republican. A highly educated and truly good man, he was highly respected by the many with whom he was acquainted. lie died at his home near Harrison, June 29, 1863. His wife survives him. lie was the
Jerome P. MARVIN was born in this county in 1846. He taught school after having obtained an ordinary education, after which time he spent a year at Wabash college, Indiana, and studied medicine at the Eclectic Medical institute, of Cincinnati, five years, where he graduated in June, 1866. In 1864 he enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Ohio regiment of infantry, where he served three months. The practice of medicine was begun in Cincinnati in the fall of 1866, in partnership with Dr. SCUDDER, which partnership continued six years. During that time he was demonstrator of anatomy in the Eclectic institute of Cincinnati for three years. In 1872 he began medical practice in Sidney, Ohio After a year he gave up the place and came to Harrison, buying the interest of C. G. Thomas in the drug business, in which he is at present engaged. He held the office of township treasurer of Harrison township one year, was a member of the school board three years, and gave material aid in establishing the present graded system m the schools. In politics he is a Republican, and as a member of Snow Lodge No. 193 has had the place of master during three years. He was married to Martha STOKES, a native of Ohio, April 16, 1868, and is the father of two children, Mabel and Maude.
William DAIR, born in Harrison, Ohio, August 20, 1848, married Jeannette BONHAM September 21, 1870. Mr. and Mrs. DAIR have-three children, two daughters and one son. In the way of descent he is the son of James DAIR, who was one of the successful men of the county, and to whom excellent business tact and foresight have been transmitted. He is a graduate of BARTLETT's Commercial college, of Cincinnati. In the matter of positions he has filled - and filled successfully, too the township treasurer's and councilman's office, has been engaged in causes which advance the practical interests of a community, and deals in facts and results. He, with his brother Charles, is among the wealthy men of Harrison township, and year by year add by honorable means to their gains. They are distillers.
Lewis M. DAIR was born in New Jersey, Greenwich county, in 1798. He was a ship carpenter by trade, and came to Ohio in 1844 and settled in Harrison. While there he worked at the carpenter's trade. In politics he was a Democrat. His wife, Hannah MULFORD, was a native of New Jersey. She died in Harrison in 1854. Her husband survived her fourteen years. They had eleven children - Benjamin, married to Julia A. BEARD, and now living in Indiana; James, whose first wife was Charlotte BRIGGS, and whose present wife is Louisa BRAKENRIDGE; Mary J.; Elizabeth, the wife of Owen WILLIAMS; Amanda, the wife of Asa CURRY, now of Indiana; Hannah, at present Mrs. Richard BOWLES; Lewis, married to Elizabeth PERRINE Jonathan M., married to Mary J. CAMPBELL now living in Kentucky; Lucy A., Mrs. George LEGGET, at present a resident of Indiana; Edward, now married to Angeline PHILLIPS and also in Indiana; and Emily, the wife of Theodore B. McCAFFERTY.
James DAIR, the second son, was born in 1822, in the State of New Jersey, where he learned the miller's trade, in which business he continued until he came to Ohio, in 1842. He settled in Harrison township, and in company with Joseph T. CLOUD built the distillery now owned by the DAIR Brothers. In politics he was a Republican. He married Charlotte BRIGGS, a native of Indiana, who died in 1864. Their children were Charles, now married to Addie RITTENHOUSE; two daughters named Sallie; Katie, the wife of Theodore ROCKAFELLER, and now a resident of Indiana; Charlotte, married to Purlu SCOTT; Ida, now Mrs. Charles WREN, of Butler county, Ohio; Anna, and one that died in infancy.
Isaac L. FROST was born in Harrison township, at LEE'S creek, and worked on his father's farm till he was of age, when he began mercantile business in Venice, Butler county. In 1854 he bought Mr. A.M. WAKEFIELD's stock of goods in New Haven, and continued business there until 1863, when he died. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and was a Democrat in politics. He was married to Miss Nancy HUCHINSON, who still survives him. They had nine children - Elsie A., now married to Aaron SHAW; Amos H., whose wife is Sarah J. HANK; Sarepta, the wife of William PHARAS; Harriet E.; John S.; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Jasper N. SHAW; Nancy J.; Isaac S.; and Theodocia.
Amos Hutchinson FROST was born December 18, 1840, three miles northeast of Harrison, on LEE'S creek, in Harrison township. November 12, 1867, he married Sarah Jane HAWK, daughter of William HAWK, of Crosby, who bore him three children, one son living. Early, in life the family moved to Venice, in Butler county, and resided for twelve years; from there they came to New Haven in the year 1854, and finally Amos left in 1871 and settled in Harrison village, since which time he has been engaged in the drug business. In all matters of public concern he has been favorably known. He is secretary of Harrison Loan and Business association, is a member of the school board, and treasurer and trustee of the First Presbyterian church, of which he is a member.
Dr. Milton L. THOMAS was born in Warren county, Ohio, in 1821. When eleven years old he went with his parents to Jefferson county, Indiana. At the age of twenty-one he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. J. H. D. Rogers, at Madison, Indiana, and continued the same during three years. After attending the Medical institute of Louisville, Kentucky, he began the practice of medicine in Morgan county, Indiana. In 1849 he moved to New Haven, this county, where he was in practice five years, during which time he attended a course of lectures at the Eclectic Medical institute in Cincinnati, from which institution he graduated in 1850. Four years later he opened an office in Harrison, where he is at the present time. He is an earnest member of the Methodist church, of which he is a trustee. He is also superintendent of the Sabbath-school In politics he walks with the Republican party. In 1844 he was married to Harriet W. CHASE, who was born in Ohio. She became the mother of two children, and died July 17, 1852. He then married Susan J. RYBOLT, of Indiana.
Charles G. THOMAS was born in the year 1845, in Jefferson county, Indiana, whence he came to Harrison with his parents. In addition to a common school education he attended the Miami university at Oxford. For the last eighteen years he has been in the drug business. In politics he is a Republican. In 1869 he was married to Maggie A. LITTLE, of Ohio. They have two children, Harrietta and Eda L.
Joseph C. MEYER was born 1824 in Hanover, Germany, where he learned the jeweler's trade. He came to America in 1849, and first settled in Cincinnati, where he remained about four years. While there he worked as a journeyman in the jewelry business. In 1854 he came to Harrison, and entered the employ of Thomas DORR, where he remained three years, when he began business on his own account, which he still continues. During two terms he filled the position of councilman for Harrison, is a member of the Catholic church, any in politics is a Democrat. In 1860 he married Anna M. GARDINER, a native of Pennsylvania. They have two children, Lizzie and Joseph.
Rev. Charles WEST was born in 1792, in Hunterdon county, New Jersey, from which State he moved to Ohio, and settled in Colerain township in 1819. His death occurred in August, 1878, in Butler county, Ohio. By trade he was a tanner and curries, but after coming to Ohio was engaged in farming. In 1817 he united with the Methodist Episcopal church, and took an active part in its work. In 1850 he built a church with his own funds - the West Union church, at Greusbeck, in Colerain township - and was pastor of the church until his death. He was an active, earnest Christian, respected by all. In 1817 he married Rebecca SPARKS, of Baltimore, Maryland. She died at the age of sixty-eight years, in Butler county. The had nine children: Manning, now married to Amanda STOUT, and residing in Iowa; Stockston, now of Illinois, whose wives were Catharine BEYIS and Mary APPLEGATE; Pieson, whose wife is Mary GOSLING; Allison SYLVESTER, Pitman; Augustus E., married to Annie H. JOHNSON; Miranda, now Mrs. Samuel WILSON of Indiana; and Charles, married to Harriet PONDER.
Dr. Augustus E. WEST was born in 1824, in this county. After obtaining a common school education he attended school at College Hill, and at twenty-one years of age began the study of medicine with Dr. BARTLETT at Cheviot. After four years he graduated at Starling Medical college in Columbus, Ohio, and the next year began the practice of medicine at Farmersville, Montgomery county, Ohio, but soon after moved to Miamitown, where he practiced fourteen years. He then went to Illinois, purchased a farm and followed farming about a year, when he returned to Ohio and settled in Harrison. In 1865 he opened an office and began practice there and is still engaged in the same employment. He is a most successful physician of the regular school. At various times he has held various public offices of trust and responsibility. He is a member of Snow lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, also of Harrison lodge, Knights of Honor, and is a Democrat in politics. In 1849 he was married to Miss Annie TOMLINSON, of New Jersey. His eight children are: John A., now of Montgomery county, this State; Helen M., Mrs. Charles FERRIS; Rebecca, wife of William CONVERSE, and Frank, Francis, Annie C., Manning, and Eddie.
Rev. Gerberd EGGER, the Catholic priest of Harrison, Ohio, was born in Switzerland, educated at Thubingen university, Wurtemberg, and came to the United States November, 1866. He began his ministry at Dry Ridge, this county, where he preached for six years and four months, coming to Harrison in February, 1873. His first station was without the ordinary improvements which belong to places of this kind - no parsonage, no schoolhouse, in debt for the church proper, and, in fact, even the commonest grades of enterprise. He lifted a heavy church debt to a very great extent, increasing the value of church property from three thousand dollars to seven thousand dollars.
Since being at his present
location he has won the admiration of those even outside of his
by his business tact and discipline. The old school-house and church at
Harrison, which stood in a dilapidated state in 1873, now are handsome
structures of brick. The church proper, with a congregation of four
or five hundred souls, was built in 1876; the priest's house, in 1873;
and the school-house in 1877. Church property has advanced from one
eight hundred dollars to ten thousand dollars, and healthiness in all
pervades. No surer sign of advancement in religious matters can be seen
than that the minister is liked, the debt being liquidated, and
This was the first town to be laid out in Hamilton county west of the Great Miami, except the early extinct Crosby, on the banks of that stream. Its recorded plat is dated December 8, 1813, and it was laid out that year by Jonas CRANE, at the southwest corner of section eighteen and the northwest of section nineteen, just half way across the present township of Harrison, on its extreme west line. A small part of it extends into Indiana. The village is described in the State Gazetteer of Ohio, in 1821, as on the Whitewater river, twenty-four miles northwest of Cincinnati, laid off on the State line, with the main north and south street on that line, and half the village on each side. The post office, we believe, has always been kept on the Ohio side, but the railway station is a little way beyond the line, in Hoosierdom.
Twenty years later, in the State Gazetteer of 1841, Harrison is noted as containing about three hundred inhabitants, with three churches, four stores, two taverns, two groceries, two physicians, three clergymen, one apothecary's shop, sixteen mechanics' shops, one flouting mill, one carding machine, and one hundred dwellings. One-third of the inhabitants then resided on the Indiana
The village has had a quite satisfactory growth, considering that it has no special advantages of position; In 1830 it had but one hundred and seventy-three inhabitants. In 1850, under the stimulus of the Whitewater canal and the general growth of the country, its population had advanced to nine hundred and forty; in 1860, to one thousand three hundred and forty-three; and in 1870, to one thousand four hundred and seventeen, of course all in Hamilton county. Last year (1880) the census found one thousand five hundred and fifty in habitants within its limits, on the Ohio side.
Mr. William F. CONVERSE was the first mayor of the village. Among other mayors have been Benjamin BOOKWALTER, 1866-8; and A. E. West, 1873-4.
In the years 1856-7 a large brick edifice was put up near Harrison for the purposes of a private academy, called the institute. The expense of its erection and equipment was borne mainly by Mr. George OYLER, whose son, G. W. OYLER, then a recent graduate of the Farmers' college, at College Hill, was its first principal, and has since become a well-known teacher in the county.
The St. John's Catholic church, ministered to by the Rev. Father C. EGGERS, is located here.
In 1872 the Jackson Building and Loan association, for operations at Harrison, was Organized, its certificate of incorporation being filed with the secretary of State, June 4th of that year.
The pottery operated here
was started so long ago as 1829.
The census in 1870 gave Harrison township two thousand one hundred and seventy-five people; in 1880, two thousand two hundred and seventy-seven.
©2000 by Tina Hursh & Linda Boorom