Hancock County, Ohio - OHGenWeb Site...
Ohio was created in 1820 and Organized in 1828. It was formed
from portions of Delaware
and Logan Counties. In 1845, a portion of
County was formed from Hancock.
A good place to start
The Hancock County Research Resources page
lists the various information that is available on and offsite
that will assist Hancock County Researchers. People new
to research or new to this web site will want to start with
the Research Resources page.
A Brief History
Hancock County was named after John
Hancock, the Revolutionary War hero. It was first populated as
far back as 1769 when Jean Jacques Blanchard, a Frenchman,
settled in the area. He was a tailor by trade. The city of
Findlay was founded in 1812 and was named after Colonel James
Findlay of the Ohio Frontier Army. A stockade, called Fort
Findlay, was the earliest development and stood just west of
the location where the Main Street Bridge crosses the
Blanchard River. The fort was abandoned after the war of 1812
but remained as a settlement for the pioneers of the area. In
the 1880's gas and oil was discovered in the area which caused
rapid population growth.
This onsite page lists fairly extensive resources and is a
good starting place for researchers that are just beginning
their research in Hancock County.
History of the USGenWeb Project
The USGenWeb Project and the OHGenWeb
project were initiated in 1996. The organization is
staffed totally with volunteers who devote their time out of a
passion for genealogy and an interest in providing assistance
to researchers. Read more about the history of this