HARRISON COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES

John J. Bell
submitted by Merriam Fraser White

HISTORY OF WARREN COUNTY IOWA, Linn Township, Page 735 - Bell, John J., farmer, Sec. 28; P.O. Lothrop, son of Samuel Bell, deceased; was born in Ohio, in the year 1833, and came to this county with his parents in 1853; he was first married to Mary Welsh, a native of Ohio, in 1858, who died in 1869; by this marriage there are three children; Margaret, Thomas, Mary and J.P.; was married a second time to Margaret Garvey, a native of Ohio; have four children living; Hugh, Joseph, William and Ellen; has held the offices of assessor and trustee; owns 170 acres in this county and 160 acres in Boone County, this State.
HISTORICAL COLLECTIONS OF HARRISON COUNTY by Charles A. Hanna - John J. Bell b. 1833 to Samuel Bell and Rachel Croskey of Harrison County, Ohio.

Thomas Bell

submitted by Merriam Fraser White

HISTORY OF WARREN COUNTY IOWA, Linn Township, Page 735 - Bell, Thomas, farmer, Sec. 28: P.O. Lothrop, son of Samuel Bell, deceased: was born in Ohio, October 20, 1835, and came to this county, with his parents in 1853; was married to Miss Margaret Sims, in the year 1859 and have a family of six children living;  James, Thomas, Annie, Dell John, Samuel; he owns in this county 173 acres of land.

John Croskey

submitted by Merriam Fraser White

"Pittsburgh and Vicinity" Printed by Biographical Review Publishing Co. 1897 Vol XXIV - John Croskey, Jr. was born April 19, 1802, in Harrison County, Ohio, and there spent his entire life, dying October 20, 1867. He worked at his trade of blacksmith both in Union Vale and Hopedale, and was considered one of the best mechanics in county. Industrious, temperate, and a faithful member of the Christian church, he held in high esteem. On March 18, 1839, he married Miss Elizabeth Long, whose children by him were: John H., the subject of this sketch; Catherine, the widow of James B. Shepler, late of Harrison County, Ohio; Albert Benton, a railroad mechinist at Topeka, Kansas; William Frye, a farmer living near Manchester, Iowa; Mary Elizabeth, the wife of Morris Jolly, of Abilene, Kansas; and Sabrina Belle, who died July 24, 1864, aged six years and eight days. After 14 years of widowhood spent in devotion of her children, the mother passed away on January 24, 1882, at the age of sixty-four years, six months, and ten days.

 HISTORICAL COLLECTIONS OF HARRISON COUNTY (Early Marriages) by Charles A. Hanna - John Croskey and Elizabeth Long March 18 1839 by Rev. William Haden

EARLY OHIO TAX RECORDS FOR 1810 and 1816 by Esther Weygrandt Powell -

Page 210 Jefferson County, Ohio 1810 Tax List
Croskey, John and Croskey, Robert   Green  Township

 Page 171 Harrison County, Ohio 1816 Tax List
Crosskey, Robert and Crosskey, John  Green Township

Robert Croskey

submitted by Merriam Fraser White

COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD  OF HARRISON COUNTY, OHIO by J. H. Beers, 1891, page 439, biographical sketch of William Croskey - "The founder of the family in this country was Robert, who, soon after coming here (United States), located in Pennsylvania, and there remained until 1802, when he came to Ohio, settling in Green Township, Harrison County,  on a section which was entered the year previous by his son, John, and Jacob Shepler.  There he remained until he had reached an advanced age, when death claimed him.  He was buried in Covenanter Church Cemetery, a short distance east of Hopedale; his wife had preceded him to the grave but a short time, and was buried at the same place."

HISTORICAL COLLECTIONS OF HARRISON COUNTY by Charles A. Hanna - Robert Croskey, a native of Ireland, emigrated to America and later, in 1802, removed to Green township, Harrison County, Ohio; has issue; 1. William. 2. John, b. in New Jersey, Oct. 7, 1775; d. March 16, 1862; m. in Pennsylvania, Feb. 9, 1801, Catherine Fry, b. June 25, 1781; d. in Iowa, Jan 22, 1863; daughter of Samuel Fry, a resident of Pennsylvania; had issue; 1. John b. April 19m 1802; d. Oct. 20, 1867 m. Esther Davidson; 2. Christinea, b. Feb. 13, 1804; 3. Rachel, b. Feb 22, 1806; 4. Samuel-F., b. Dec.11m 1808; 5. Sarah, b. Jan12, 1811; 6. Jackson, b. Feb 6, 1815; d. Feb. 7, 1890; 7. William, b. Oct 11, 1817; m. Jan 16, 1840, Susan Baxter, b. May 11, 1822, daughter of Sameul P. Baxter, a pioneer of Green township.

EARLY OHIO TAX RECORDS FOR 1810 and 1816 by Esther Weygrandt Powell -
Page 210 Jefferson County, Ohio 1810 Tax List
Croskey, John and Croskey, Robert Green Township
 Page 171 Harrison County, Ohio 1816 Tax List
Crosskey, Robert and Crosskey, John Green Township

William Croskey

submitted by Merriam Fraser White

HISTORICAL COLLECTIONS OF HARRISON COUNTY by Charles A Hanna 1900 Page 482 - "William Croskey, b. in Ireland, 1795 d. 1873; son of Robert Croskey, who emigrated to Maryland, in 1775; removed to Washington County, Pennsylvania, and thence, in 1812, to Green township, Harrison County, Ohio; m. 1848, Margaret Crabb, of Jefferson County, Ohio; had issue; 1. Robert; 2. Margaret 3. Henry, settled in McLean County, Illinois, 4. Anna, m. John Clifford, and settled in Green township; 5. Mary m. George McFadden;; 6. Sarah m. Thomas Groves, of Jefferson County; 7. died in infancy; 8------; 9. John, died in infancy."

Gamaliel Davidson
submitted by Nancy Giles

While doing volunteer data entry at our local library in Ontario, California, I came across this interesting article, which might be of some interest to someone on the Harrison county page. It is not a surname I am researching personally.

The Daily Report, Ontario, California Feb. 9, 1927
PIONEER CELEBRATES HIS 90th BIRTHDAY WITH FAMILY HERE

Under the snow capped Sierra Madres in a little frame cottage almost hidden by the orange trees, bright green, glistening and touched with the brilliant orange of the fruit, Gamaliel Davidson, pioneer, celebrated his 90th birthday Saturday. With him were four of his nine children and his youngest sister, Mrs. C. A. Carroll of Long Beach. Born at Freeport, Harrison county, Ohio, within a few miles of the Ohio river, at a time when that country was in the making, he pioneered across the continent to spend his last days within sight of the Pacific ocean, in the old soldier’s home at Sawtelle.

He Starts West

He went to school in a little log house near his home in Ohio. The pupils near his home in Ohio sat on rough-hewn benches without backs. The teacher, who was a man by the name of Nathan Wright, kept a likely birch rod in the corner of the room and when a pupil did not know his lesson, he gave him a whack across the shoulders. In those days the teacher ‘board-ed around’ with the patrons and the school term was short.

Mr. Davidson grew up in Ohio but upon reaching manhood took the advice of Horace Greeley and went ‘west’ to Indiana, where he married Miss Isabel Thorpe at Bluff Point, Ind. Soon after they were married the Davidson's determined to go still further ‘west’ and settled in Nodaway county, Missouri. Here he cleared 120 acres and fenced it. At that time the mail was received once a week from St. Joseph, Mo. A man carried it on horseback to Sheridan, Mo., the nearest village and the family sent after it. He raised horses, sheep, hogs and grain while in that country.

Under Both Factions

The Civil war came on and he enlisted in the Union army under “Bill McGee.” Bill, it seems got in bad and got himself discharged and Captain J. B. Eads of Warrenburg, Mo. was given charge of the company with which he served. He was in service three years. After the war he was made notary public, in which capacity he served for eight years. He is quite proud of the fact that he held office under both a republican and democratic governor of Missouri.

The northwest country was calling to the people of Missouri about this time and he and his family were among the many who in covered wagons crossed the plains to the state of Washington. He was a pioneer once more and homesteaded 160 acres, that was in bunch of grass prairie. He made it into a good ranch, raising sheep, cattle and grain. Later he went down into Oregon where he lived until he came to California about 23 years ago. He has made his home with his children and at the “Old Soldiers’ Home” at Sawtelle, since coming to the state. He is well and while he is hard of hearing has a keen mind. His eyes are bright and he looks at you with a quizzical smile as he talks, as much as to say “ I know a great deal I am not telling.”

Reunion In His Honor

He came over from Sawtelle the other day to the home of his son-in-law and daughter, Mr and Mrs. C. H. Wilkinson to the reunion, which was given in his honor. He seemed to enjoy the gathering and when not chatting with the guests, who were members of the family or old friends, read the news from daily newspapers.

When the photographer, who was to take a picture of the guests was announced, he hopped up as lively as a cricket and went out in the yard with the rest of the family. He walks on crutches, but they do not discommode him in the least.

 Motor Down From Oregon

Three of the children motored down from Oregon to be with their father on his birthday. They are Mrs. John Glasscock, Portland, Ore.; Mrs. New Madden, Hermiston, Ore.; and a son, L. R. Davidson, Ione, Ore. It was snowing and sleeting and the ground was covered with ice, when the three started on the journey, but they persevered until they reached the Southland. Three daughters were not able to be present. They are Mrs. Frank Lynde, Deep Creek, Wash.; Mrs. Howard Propst, Veronia, Wash.; Mrs. Ola Probst, Lamont, Iowa.

The birthday dinner was served at noon, birthday cake and all. The table was decorated with white narcissi and pepper blossoms, making an attractive setting for the dinner. Besides the hosts, Mr and Mrs. C. H. Wilinson, of Ontario, there were Mrs. John Glasscock, Portland, Ore.; Mrs. New Madden, Harmiston, Ore.; Mrs. C. A. Carroll, Long Beach; Mrs. Mattie Parrott, San Pedro; Mr and Mrs. Bryan Brown, Ontario; Mrs. A. R. Wilkinson, Anza, Calif.; L. R. Davidson, Wash.; and little Clarence Brown, the great-great grandson of the guest of honor. The wife passed away 32 years ago last Christmas, so has not been with the family in their reunions for many years.

What You Make It

“It is pleasant over at Sawtelle, isn’t it?,” he was asked. “Yes, it’s pleasant if you make it so. If you grumble and complain all of the time it isn’t pleasant anywhere. If you make the best of thing, things are pleasanter and you are happier.”

In the 90 years that he has lived Gamaliel Davidson has learned how to live, even if the many acres, that he has acquired in crossing the continent have slipped from his grasp and into the hands of others.

Richard Hatton
submitted by Susan Kellar Ratcliffe

PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF HENRY COUNTY, IOWA, 1888; p. 626: "Richard Hatton, deceased, was born in Virginia, March 5, 1808, and was the son of Boland and Margaret Keller Hatton. His family were residents of Virginia for several generations. He removed with his parents to Noble County, Ohio, in his youth, and began his business career as a publisher and editor of the Guernsey TIMES. He subsequently published the Carrollton FREE PRESS, and later the Cadiz REPUBLICAN. He was married at Barnesville, Ohio, May 26, 1834, to Miss Sarah Green, daughter of Allen and Mary Nicklin Green. Mrs. Hatton was born in Virginia, and went to Ohio in childhood with her parents. Ten children were born of their union, six daughters and four sons: Mary A., born May 22, 1836, is the wife of J.L. McGregor, a hardware merchant of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa; Margaret E. was born June 21, 1838, is the widow of the Rev. E.W. Brady, and resides at Mt. Pleasant; Sarah Jane, twin sister of Mrs. Brady, died in infancy, July, 12, 1838; Lavina, born in 1839, died in August, 1841; Caroline, born March 16, 1842, is the wife of G.W. McAdam, of the Mt. Pleasant JOURNAL; Alcinda, born in 1844, died in September, 1846; Frank, born April 26, 1846; Allen was born Dec. 27, 1850; Harry, born in December, 1852 married Nellie Stickney. Mr. Hatton removed with his family from Cadiz, Ohio, to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, in 1866, when bought the JOURNAL office. He continued to edit and publish the JOURNAL up to the time of his fatal illness. His death occurred Nov. 5, 1869. Mr. Hatton was an earnest Republican and labored faithfully in the advocacy of the principles of that party. He was a man of positive convictions, upright and honorable, whose aim was to encourage that which was good in the world."

THE HISTORY OF HENRY COUNTY, IOWA, 1879: p. 447---"The first paper issued in the county was also the first Abolition journal ever published west of the Mississippi...the oldest paper now published is the Mt. Pleasant JOURNAL. This paper originally appeared in 1856...Mr. Hatton (Richard) changed the name to Mt. Pleasant JOURNAL. He trained his sons to journalistic work, and was aided by Hon. Frank Hatton, now the principal owner of the Burlington HAWK-EYE, and Chairman of the Iowa State Republican Central Committee. Here the younger Mr. Hatton acquired those habits of professional experiences which have enabled him to achieve so marked a success in life. The JOURNAL has remained in the family to the present time. Mr. G.W. McAdam, son-in-law of Mr. Richard Hatton, became a third proprietor, and, in succession, Messrs. E.W. Brady, John F. Leech and John Teasdale have each held a third interest. But the control has been in the Hatton family. Mr. Albert L. Hatton has also been a part proprietor. The FREE PRESS was established in April, 1866, at Mt. Pleasant, by E.T. White. In January, 1868, Mr. White sold to O.K. Snyder and Frank Hatton. They changed the name to that of HENRY COUNTY PRESS. Mr. Hatton retired in May, 1868, and the firm became Snyder Brothers..."

CADIZ TOWNSHIP CEMETERIES book, page 55: Also buried next to Richard Hatton is Mary Green, wife of Allen Green, age 66 yrs, d. April 8, 1862, and Gladdie, (last name uncertain from the book entry but probably HATTON) marked with a small footstone.

George W. McAdam
submitted by Susan Kellar Ratcliffe

THE HISTORY OF HENRY COUNTY, IOWA, 1879: p. 572---"George W. McAdam, publisher of the Mt. Pleasant JOURNAL; born in Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio, Nov. 2, 1832; lived there on a farm until 20 years of age, when he entered Franklin College, and graduated in 1857; after engaging in teaching for a time, he entered the Theological Seminary at Alleghany College; after completing his theological education, he engaged in preaching for two years in the U. P. Church; in 1864, removed to Newark, Ohio, and published the NEWARK REPUBLICAN; he came to Iowa and located at Mt. Pleasant in 1866; in 1869, he became connected with the JOURNAL, being associated with Frank Hatton, now the Burlington HAWK-EYE; in May, 1874, he bought Mr. Hatton's interest, and is now editor and proprietor of the JOURNAL; he holds the office of Postmaster, being appointed in April, 1874, and is also member (six years) of the School Board. He married Miss Carrie Hatton, from Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio, daughter of Richard Hatton, editor of the Cadiz REPUBLICAN; they have three children---Frank H., Richard H. and Jessie."

PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF HENRY COUNTY, IOWA, 1888: p. 607---"...On May 12, 1864, Mr. McAdam was married to Miss Carrie Hatton, who was born in Cadiz, Ohio, March 17, 1842, and is a daughter of Richard Hatton, one of the best-known newspaper men of Ohio, and for fourteen years, editor of the Cadiz REPUBLICAN, one of the most influential papers of eastern Ohio. Mrs. McAdam was educated at the Steubenville (Ohio) Female Seminary, and is a lady of culture, who well sustains the reputation of the gifted family from which she is descended. The union of Mr. and Mrs. McAdam has been blessed with three children---Frank H., Richard H. and Jessie."

John S. McGregor
submitted by Susan Kellar Ratcliffe

THE HISTORY OF HENRY COUNTY, IOWA, 1879: p. 575--- "John S. McGregor, of the firm of Rukgaber, McGregor & Baines, dealers in hardware and house-furnishing goods; born in Jefferson Co., Ohio, March 31, 1825; he came to Iowa and located at Mr. Pleasant, Nov. 8, 1855; engaged as clerk in dry goods store, and, excepting about four years, has been engaged in business since. He holds office of City Councilman. Married Martha Rex, from Jefferson Co., Ohio; she died in 1866; married Mary Hatton, from Cadiz, Harrison Co., Ohio, in 1868; they have three children---Henry V., John and Mary M.; lost one son." Buried with the family in Forest Home Cemetery is Dr. William D. McGregor who died March 10, 1891, at age 55

Aaron Ross
submitted by Jean Wheeler

Commemorative Biographical Record Harrison, Ohio…Illustrated; Chicago, J. H. Beers Co., 1891, pages 645, 646.) Aaron Ross. One of the few surviving native-born citizens of Cadiz Township, Harrison County, is the subject of this sketch. Born July 3, 1811, he has spent his entire life within the borders of Harrison County, and almost the entire time on the farm where he now resides. His father, Adam Ross, was a native of eastern Pennsylvania, where he grew to manhood and married Susannah Rowe, a native of the same State, but of German descent. One generation farther back we find John Ross, who was born in Ireland, whence, at an early date (probably during the latter years of the eighteenth century), he emigrated to America and settled in Pennsylvania, where he met and married Miss Charlotte Hatcher [sic*], with whom, about the year 1804, he came to Harrison County, and took up from the Government a piece of land on which he made a home for the balance of his life. He passed from earth about the year 1830, at the age of eighty years. After the death of her husband the widow removed to the home of one of her sons in Morgan County, Ohio, and here remained until called from earth. She was the mother of the following named children: Adam, William, John, James, Hannah, Eve, Susannah and Polly, all of whom have closed their eyes to earth, the last to die being Susannah (wife of Miles Tipton), who departed this life August 31, 1889, at the age of ninety-one years and two months.

Adam Ross, in his early manhood, learned the trade of a blacksmith, which, in his native State, for some years after his marriage, he followed. He came to Ohio about the same time as his father and mother, and here continued toiling at the anvil until the breaking out of the War of 1812, when he abandoned the glow of the peaceful forge to face the glare of the hostile cannon, and proceeded to the front to serve his country. Fate had decreed that he should never return, for, being stricken with fever he died at his camp, at Sandusky, Ohio. The widow remained with her children on the Ohio farm until her death, which occurred in 1848, when she was seventy years of age. She was the mother of six children, namely: John, deceased; Adam and George (twins), the former now dead, the latter residing in Missouri; Caleb, deceased; Joseph and Aaron (also twins), Joseph being dead.

Aaron Ross is very widely known through his county as a man who in his day has done much to the general improvement of his township, and many a giant of the forest has gone down before the sturdy strokes of his ax. On June 16, 1853, he was united in marriage with Miss Nancy, daughter of Samuel and Casandra (Cox) Harper, and a native of Harrison County, where both her parents died on their farm located about one mile from the home of Aaron. Mrs. Ross still has two sisters living in Harrison County, viz.: Mrs. Martha J. Johnston, in Franklin Township, and Mary A. (wife of N. B. Haverfield, in Cadiz Township). To Mr. and Mrs. Aaron Ross three children have been born, viz.: Milton B., a farmer in Cadiz Township; Franklin Harper, a physician in Brooklyn, N. Y., and Susan E., wife of W. P. Hedges, also in Cadiz Township. Politically Mr. Ross has been a stanch Democrat, casting his first presidential vote for Andrew Jackson. Twice has he been nominated by his party for infirmary director, but being a member of the party in the minority in the county, was both times defeated, although on each occasion he received the full strength of his party vote. Mr. Ross, though now well advanced in years, is still remarkably robust and well preserved, never using intoxicating liquors as a beverage, and entirely abstaining from the use of tobacco. He and his faithful wife (their children being all married and gone to homes of their own) now reside alone at the old homestead, which is situated some four miles from the town of Cadiz.

The farm is cared for by the son, Milton B., who was born July 3, 1854, his education being obtained at the common schools of Cadiz Township. On May 2, 1877, he was married to Miss Ann J., daughter of Nathan and Mary (Patterson) Laveley, formerly of Harrison County, but now residing in Kansas. After their marriage Milton B. and his wife came to their present home on the Moravian Road, three miles west of Cadiz. There were born to them four children, viz.: Josie K., Charles F., Aaron C. and Edith C., the last named being deceased. In politics Mr. Ross is a Democrat, and in religion he and his wife are members of the Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church.

* Transcriber’s note: Charlotte’s surname was Natcher rather than Hatcher. Her name has been mistakenly spelled with an H on several occasions—probably due to the fact that a capital N looks very much like a capital H in the handwriting of the day on such things as census records.

W. H. Arnold
submitted by Jean Wheeler

Commemorative Biographical Record of the Counties of Harrison and Carroll, Ohio…Illustrated; J. H. Beers & Co., 1891 pages 15, 16. W. H. ARNOLD, editor and proprietor of the Cadiz Sentinel, is a descendant of one of the pioneer families of Harrison County, Ohio. In 1810 Comfort Arnold, a widow with two sons and four daughters, came from Pennsylvania and settled north of Cadiz in the woods, but died in Archer Township in 1856, at the age of ninety-eight, the mother of the following named children: William, born in 1798; Comfort, wife of Jonathan West; Aneka, wife of James Mehollen; Frances, married to Charles Conaway; _____ wife of _____ [*]Ross, of Richland. William Arnold, father of our subject, was about twelve years of age when brought from Pennsylvania by his mother, and when fourteen years old engaged in the manufacture of gunpowder for the soldiers in the war of 1812, making 500 to 600 pounds each winter, which he conveyed by night to Steubenville. He cared for the farm while his brother and brothers-in-law were in the army, he being too young to serve. He received his education in the log school-house of his day, but was an apt scholar and for thirty-six years after reaching maturity served as justice of the peace; he also became colonel of the State militia, as well as quartermaster-general, and was very popular in his section. In 1833 or 1834 he chose for his wife Miss Jane C. Hoyt, a daughter of Jesse and Sarah Hoyt, and a native of New York. The Hoyts trace their ancestry to Simon Hoyt, who came from England to Massachusetts in 1638. The death of William Arnold took place in 1874, in Cadiz, at the age of seventy-six years, he having been preceded by his faithful wife in 1872, at the age of sixty-six years. To this couple have been born seven children, viz.: John Hoyt, who died in Kansas in 1855, while in the employ of the Government as a surveyor; Mary A., wife of John W. Simmons; Sarah, who married James Knox, of Cadiz, and died in 1869, in Washington, Guernsey County; Jesse, employed in the second auditor’s office at Washington, D. C.; William H., the subject of this sketch; George, at Columbus, and Jennie, a public school teacher in Portland, Oregon.

The following sketch is from the pen of Maj. H. B. Lacey, a prominent citizen of the county:

“William Arnold. The subject of this paper was born in Fayette County, Penn., in 1798. Early in the present century his father died, and the widowed mother, in 1810, removed with her children to Ohio>, and settled about one mile north of Cadiz. When war with England began in 1812, the elder sons of Mrs. Arnold entered the army, leaving William, now fourteen years of age, her main dependence. While the war lasted he was busied with farm work during the season suitable for the same, but in the winter engaged in making powder which he disposed of to the Government. A few years later his brother, Rezin Arnold, was elected sheriff of Harrison County, and William became his deputy; he served also in the same capacity with some of Rezin’s successors. With his deputyship, under his brother Rezin, began his residence in Cadiz, which continued to the date of his death. He died in 1874.
“It was while thus acting as deputy sheriff he acquired his extensive and exact topographical knowledge of this county, and laid the foundation of that knowledge of the law in the administering of which he afterward gained honorable distinction. He was elected justice of the peace for Cadiz Township, and continuously reelected till he had served thirty-three consecutive years. "His genial and courteous demeanor seemed especially attractive to those seeking union through the marriage ceremony, and it is probable he united in wedlock a greater number of persons than were so united by any other person resident of the county.

“He owed his chief distinction to his numerous legal decisions. So well was his legal acumen known and favorably recognized, that it was but seldom an action was commenced in the Common Pleas Court, when the cause of action came within his jurisdiction. Thomas L. Jewett, known in his time as one of the ablest lawyers of Eastern Ohio, declared that the legal decisions of Justice Arnold, so far as they pertained to his office, could not be bettered by one of the highest attainments in the law. This high position he attained by cool, unbiased judgment and conscientious recognition of the demands of law and justice. His decisions were rendered without fear or favor. Official restraints removed, however, he became the benevolent, obliging, public-spirited citizen.

“No measure proposed for the benefit of Harrison County or the town of his residence was too insignificant to gain from him a respectful hearing, and having examined and approved it, thenceforth it had his active and valuable support.

“No man ever came to him for advice, and they were many who came, who did not get the benefit of his best judgment. The legal opinions he rendered officially for the statutory fees were not a tithe of the equally valuable ones he freely gave without reward. He was not a capitalist, but capital, whether in real or personal estate, was always indebted to his wise counsel and public spirit.”

William H. Arnold was born in Cadiz, Ohio, and was educated in the common school. While yet a boy he entered the office of the Sentinel, then owned by Charles N. Allen, and served an apprenticeship at the printing business. At the age of twenty-two he became associate editor of the paper, and three years later, in 1865, bought the Journal, of which he has since been the main owner and editor, having largely increased its circulation and influence.
In 1866 Mr. Arnold married Lydia, daughter of Hon. Joseph R. Hunter, of Cadiz. The Hunters came to Cadiz about 1830, and here they died. Mrs. Lydia Arnold passed away "1886" "28" February 28, 1886, leaving four children, viz.: Hunter, a student at the National University, Washington, D. C.; Mary, a student at the University of Pennsylvania; Grace, who died at the age of four months, and Louise, attending school in Cadiz. In 1888 Mr. Arnold took, for his second wife, Caroline, daughter of James Thompson, and to this union has been born one child, Edwin.

* [Transcriber’s note: The blanks in the sentence regarding the Arnold children should read “Sophia, wife of Natcher Ross of Richland County.”]

William H. McGavran
submitted by Paula Snyder

 Commemorative Biographical Record, Harrison, Ohio, J.H. Beers & Co. 1891; pp. 215-216

William H. McGavran, a resident of North Township, Harrison County, was born in Harford County, MD., March 3, 1812, and is a son of William McGavran, who was born on the same farm in 1768, and whose father, John McGavran, a native of Ireland, and a tailor by trade, settled in the colony of Maryland about the year 1755. He (John) was married to a Baptist lady named Margaret Hill, who bore him four children, named Mollie, Margaret, Mark and William. John McGavran died about 1770, at the age of thirty-three years, and his widow married a Mr. O'Daniel, and later died in Fayette County, Penn. The children were all reared in the Protestant faith.
William McGavran received a good education for those early times, and became a teacher in the subscription schools, a vocation he followed several years; he was a fine penman, and the young people from all the region round about came to him to learn the art of chirography. He was also a land owner. On March 17, 1791, he married Miss Ann Thompson, a native of Harford County, Md., and daughter of Thomas Thompson. The young couple resided in Maryland until 1818, and then came to Springfield Township, Jefferson Co., now Lee Township, Carroll Co., Ohio, bought 160 acres of land in the woods, and here Mr. McGavran died in 1853, at the age of eighty-six years and nine months; his widow survived until 1863, when she died at the home of her son, in Columbiana County, Ohio, aged ninety-one years. Eleven children were born to them, as follows: Elizabeth, who married Thomas Magattogan, and afterward Benjamin Toland, and died at ninety-six years of age; Mary, wife of Charles Lucy, died at seventy-five, in Schuyler County, Ill.; Sarah, Mrs. Samuel Hill, died in Morgan County, Ohio; John, died in Columbiana County, Ohio; Martha, Mrs. John Mays, died in Illinois; Margaret, married to George Lucy, brother of Charles, died in Kentucky; Thomas, who married Margaret Brown, died in Colorado; Dilly Ann, died at the age of twenty-two, unmarried; Mark, who married Louisa Daniels, and died at Minneapolis; William H., the subject of this sketch; and Stephen, who died in Harrison County, Ohio.
Transcribed by Paula Snyder, November 14, 2003.

History of Hamilton County, Iowa, Vol II, 1912, p.124

IRVIN J. SAYRS

Irvin J. Sayrs has been a resident of Webster City for only five years but, although one of the more recent arrivals here, he has succeeded in establishing himself in a creditable position as a member of the bar and also as the secretary of the Hamilton County Abstract Company. He was born in the neighboring state of Illinois, his birth having occurred in Schuyler County, August 10, 1876. His parents were Francis M. and Hulda C.(Derry) Sayrs. His grandfather, Jonathan Sayrs, was a resident of Harrison County, Ohio, remaining there until after his marriage and the birth of two of his children. At an early day, however, he became a resident of Illinois, being one of the first settlers of Fulton County, where another child was added to the family circle — Francis M. Sayrs, who remained a lifelong resident of Fulton and Schuyler Counties. At the time of the Civil war he entered his country's service, becoming a member of the Thirty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry in response for troops to serve for ninety days. Later he reenlisted in the Eighty-fourth Illinois and continued with that regiment until the close of the war. In 1855 the Derry family, to which Mrs. F. M. Sayrs belonged, removed from Mason County, Illinois, to Kansas, settling on a homestead about forty miles south of Leavenworth. It was their intention to remain in that state, but on account of the border warfare that there prevailed and because of their strong advocacy of republican principles, they left that locality at the outbreak of hostilities between the north and the south, selling their homestead, comprising one hundred and sixty acres of prairie land and forty acres of timber land, for three hundred dollars. They then returned to Illinois by way of Iowa, being afraid to go through Missouri on account of the war and conditions thereby imposed. It was immediately after the war that Francis M. Sayrs and Hulda C. Derry were married.

The family home was maintained in Schuyler County, and Irvin J. Sayrs was a pupil in the public schools there and in the Rushville Normal College at Rushville, Illinois, He pursued his law course in Highland Park College at Des Moines and was graduated in 1901 with the degree of LL.B, After being admitted to the bar by the supreme court of Iowa he began practice in 1903 in Jewell, Hamilton County, and on the 1st of March, 1907, sought the broader field of labor offered by the county seat, removing to Webster City, where he has since continued in the practice of his chosen profession. His professional labors have been entirely satisfactory to his clients, who have found him painstaking and careful in the preparation of his cases and clear and logical in their presentation. He has been accorded a large practice and has also been the secretary of the Hamilton County Abstract Company since its organization.

At New London, Iowa, Mr. Sayrs was united in marriage to Miss Isabel M. Parrott, her father being J. E. Parrott, of Henry County, Iowa, who is now living at Lamar, Colorado. Polly Parrott, the grandmother of Mrs. Sayrs, came to Burlington, Iowa, when there were only four huts at that place. Our subject and his wife have one daughter, Bonita Maurine Sayrs, whose birth occurred on the 6th of July, 1905. Mr. Sayrs and his little family have a pleasant home at No. 521 Walnut street and during the period of their residence here they have gained many friends.

Mr. Sayrs belongs to Acacia Lodge, No. 176, F. & A. M.; Hope Chapter, No. 88, R. A. M. ; and Webster City Camp, No. 416, M. W. A. He also holds membership in the Congregational church and these associations indicate much of the nature of his interests and the rules that govern his conduct. Entering a profession where advancement depends entirely upon individual merit and not upon influence or any favorable external circumstances, he is working his way steadily upward and is gaining that success which is the merited reward of capability and persistency of purpose

Return To Harrison County