Submitted by Kathleen Coffey
Huron County First Family Member #10
Anton BURGER was born on 7 October 1783 in Hultehouse, France (Alsace-Lorraine area) to Joseph Burger and Margaretha (Andres) Burger. Anton first married Marie Antoinette Schmitt with whom he had four children, those being Anton, Therese, Elizabeth and Jean.
Marie died at a young age at Hultehouse, in October of 1820. On 30 August 1830, Anton married Catherine (HANKAL/HANKEL) at Hultehouse and shortly thereafter sailed for America. A farmer by trade, Anton purchased land on Johnson Road, Peru Township, Huron County, Ohio on 26 July 1831. Anton and Catherine had three children, namely: Joseph Burger who married Catherine Nice, William who married Anna Frederick, and Catherine who only lived two months.
Anton died on 16 November 1868 in Huron County. Catherine, widow of Anton, sold the Johnson Road property on 14 October 1869. She died on 25 December 1877 in Putnam County, Ohio, while living with her son, William.
William BURGER was born 25 May 1834 in Huron County, Peru Township, to Anton and Catherine (Henkel) Burger. On 19 January 1861, William married Anna Frederick at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, Peru, Huron County, Ohio. After their marriage, they made their home with Williamís parents. To their union thirteen children were born, five of which were born in Peru Township and eight in Putnam County and Delphos, Ohio. By profession William was carpenter and a farmer most of his life.
After the death of his father, Anton, the property on Johnson Road was sold. William with his family and mother moved to Monterey Township, Putnam County, Ohio, approximately four miles north of Delphos, Ohio. He lived there about eight years moving to Delphos, Ohio on East Second Street, opposite the old parish rectory. After two years the family moved to Connellsville in Van Wert County, west of Spencerville, Ohio. They remained there one year returning to Delphos in 1881 where he lived on West Seventh Street.
During the Civil War, William was in the army and spent his time in a camp at Perrysburg, Ohio, as a firearms repairman and manufacturer. He served two years as 4th Ward councilman for the 1890-1892 term. When his health began to fail, he took up the work of a gunsmith, working actively after his sons opened a machine shop in Delphos, Ohio, until he suffered three strokes which caused paralysis in 1898. William died on 3 November 1901 and is buried in St. Johnís Cemetery, Delphos, Ohio.