Herman Ebinger

 Tuesday, June 8, 1933

Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at the home in New Haven for Herman Ebinger, 7 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Herman E. Ebinger, who died Saturday afternoon at 2:30 in the Willard hospital after being hit by a stray bullet about 10:30 that morning near his home. Pupils from his class in the New Haven school attended in a body and acted as flower bearers. Rev. G.C. Heffelfinger of Willard was in charge of the services and burial was in the New Haven cemetery.

The boy was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Ebinger. He left his home Saturday morning and was on his way to the home of his aunt Mrs. Will Thumma for milk. Cecil Burr, son of the housekeeper for J.W. Palmer who operates the pop factory at New Haven, was shooting at starlings in the yard. Mr. Palmer picked up the gun and a target was put on a post. Burr looked down the alley and when he saw no one in sight told Mr. Palmer to shoot. Just as he shot the child appeared at the end of the alley over a block away. Palmer who had not shot a gun in years missed the target and post and the bullet from a high powered 22 caliber shell struck the Ebinger child in the hip and went almost through his body.

The child screamed and Mrs. Thumma and Coy Huff ran to him as he slumped to the ground and carried him to the house. Dr. L.W. Scott was called from Willard and as soon as he saw the seriousness of the wound directed the child taken to the Willard hospital. It was found that the bullet had punctured the intestines and had severed an artery on the opposite side of the body. Drs. Scott, J. Whislar worked over the child for nearly two hours performing an operation and the father, Mr. Ebinger, underwent a blood transfusion giving a pint and six ounces of blood. The wound was too serious, however, and the boy died from loss of blood and the blood hemorrhages, it was reported. 

The bullet passed through a rye field which borders the alley and it was for this reason that Palmer and the Burr youth could not see the approaching child. Contrary to reports William Garrett, a neighbor, was three miles away when the accident happened but arrived soon and assisted in getting the child to the hospital. First reports had it that Mr. Garrett was shooting mark with Palmer. 

Palmer assumed all blame for the accident and suffered a nervous breakdown that confined him to bed for several days. His pop factory in New Haven is a popular place with the boys and girls and hardly a day goes by that they do not call at his place and get their bottle of pop. Mr. Ebinger is employed in the railroad ____ in Willard. Prosecutor E.L. Wolff made an investigation of the case.

Submitted by:  Dianne Springer Fulton

Return to Home page

Return to Obituaries Index Page

The Ebinger's came to the US on the ship S.S. Lahn. On March 16, 1893 they arrived in NY, leaving from Bremen. The family can be found on lines 90-94. Native country Germany, last residence Anspach, destination Cleveland O., family located in 2nd class cabin with 6 pieces of baggage.
Wilhelm Ebinger, 33,m, farmer (intending protracted sojourn)
Caroline Ebinger, 28,f, no occupation
Wilhelm Ebinger, 4,m
Minna Ebinger, 2, f
Caroline Ebinger, 6m, f