Some other early settlers include the following named, along with their dates of arrival in New London:
|Hosea Townsend 1815.||Isaac P. Case 1815.|
|Simeon Munson 1815.||PhiloT. Porter 1815.|
|Aurora Porter 1815.||Sherman Smith 1815.|
|Austin Smith 1815.||Major Smith 1815.|
|Mrs. J. P. Case 1815.||Anthony Hendryx 1815.|
|John Hendryx 1815.||Thomas Hendryx 1815.|
|Hiram Townsend 1816.||William Sweet 1816.|
|John Covey 1816.||Richard Bailey ca 1816.|
|Ezekial Sampson 1816.||William Merrifield 1816.|
|Solomon Hubbard 1816.||Nathan Smith 1816.|
|Zelotes Barritt 1816.||Henry Anderson 1817.|
|Mrs. Russell 1817.||Paul Pixley 1817.|
|Ariel Pixley 1817.||Nathan Munson 1817.|
|Steven Post 1817.||A. Miner 1817.|
|Josiah Day 1817||John Day 1817.|
|Deacon Isaac Sampson 1817.||Joseph Merrifield 1817.|
|Nathan Hoyt 1817.||Abram Day Hendryx 1817.|
|Francis Keyes 1818.||Peter Kinsley 1818.|
|Henry Bates 1818.||Samuel Sherman 1818.|
|Willis Case 1818.||Jacob Roorback 1823.|
Margaret Van Duesen, another daughter of Mrs. Van Deusen, was the first plaintiff in New London, in a breach of promise suit, and the first defendant, in a criminal case of infanticide, in old Huron county. The breach of promise suit was settled when Henry Bates, the defendant, gave Margaret a horse. In the criminal case, the jury found her not guilty.
The first birth occurred on 29 Feb 1816 when John Hendryx's wife gave birth to a son, who lived only a few months.
Mrs. Francis Keyes was the first adult to die in the township. She died of consumption and was buried on their own lot, near John Henry's orchard.
Abner Green erected the first house in February 1815. Hosea Townsend built the first frame house. The first brick home was built in 1834 for Deacon Harvey Sackett.
The first corn was raised by Abner Green, and the first wheat carried to a mill was by Hosea Townsend, to Union Town, later Ashland.
Isaac P. Case was the first manufacturer of boots and shoes, in 1815.
The first orchards from seeds were planted By H. Townsend, William Sweet, John Covey and Francis Keyes, in 1820 and 1822.
The first grist mill- a small one of two sand stones turned by hand- was built by Captain William Blackman in 1826.
The first man killed at a (barn?) raising was Simeon Munson, in 1818.
The first arrest for forgery was one Bailey, but he was acquitted by proving he couldn't write.
The first saw mill was built by Isaac P. Case; the second by John Miller in 1826.
The first road opened was the Read, a military road from the south side of the county to the lake on the west line of New London, in 1812. The second road was built in 1814 through the northeast corner of the township for the passing of General William H. Harrison's division. The first road made by he pioneers, known as the Clarksfield road to Ruggles , was started in 1816.
The first school house was built in 1816, with Miss Sophia Case, daughter of Isaac P. Case as the first teacher. She had 15 students.
The first religious services were held by the Methodists, organized by James Haney, a Methodist, in 1816. Services were held in the same log school house where Miss Sophia Case was the teacher.
The first "physician" was Dr. Samuel Day who practiced some medicine by the use of indigenous plants and herbs. He was a botanic and practiced in 1817 or 1818.
1840 Census-- 1,218.
1880 Census-- 1,764.