Norwalk Township, Huron County, Ohio
Cemeteries are listed below this map along with an early history of Norwalk Township.
The numbers of the cemeteries below, correspond with the circled numbers on the map above.
1.Brown or Puckrin's Corners Cemetery (Section 1)
2. Cole Cemetery (Section 4)
3. Comstock Cemetery (Section 2)
4. Five Points Cemetery (Section 4)
5. Sloat Burial Lot (Lot 57, Section 3)
6. Mesnard or Axe Factory Cemetery (Section 4)
7. Rice or Jacobsburg or Shaws Mills Cemetery (Section 3)
8. East Norwalk Cemetery (Section 2)
9. East Norwalk Cemetery Burial Records (Section 2)
10. Huron County Infirmary (Section 4)
11. St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery (Section 2)
12. St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery Burial Records (Section 2)
13. Indian burials at Episcopal Cemetery (Section 4)
14. St. Paul's Catholic Cemetery (Section 4)
15. St. Paul's Catholic Cemetery Burial Records (Section 4)
16. St. Peter's Catholic Cemetery (Section 3)
17. St. Peter's Catholic Cemetery Church Records (Section 3)
18. St. Paul Episcopal Church Cemetery (Section 4)
19. Woodlawn Cemetery (Section 4)
20. Woodlawn Cemetery Public Mausoleum (Section 4)
21. Woodlawn Cemetery Veteran's Section (Section 4)
22. Woodlawn Cemetery Babyland (Section 4)
23. Woodlawn Cemetery Burial Cards (Section 4)
Township number 4 in range 22
On 9 Nov 1808, a board of directors of the proprietors of the half
million acres called the "Sufferers' Land" passed a resolution to name
all the townships therein. All members of the board were from
Connecticut. In that resolution, township number 4 in range 22 was named
Norwalk, probably through the sponsorship of Taylor Sherman who was the
only member of the board from Norwalk, Connecticut. He was the father of
Gen. W. T. Sherman of Civil War fame. In early 1817, Norwalk was part of
the extensive township of Huron. In February, 1817, the townships of
Bronson and Norwalk were separated from Huron Township, and combined
under the name of Norwalk. On 8 Mar 1820, the townships of Ripley and
Fairfield were annexed to that then known as Norwalk. On 4 May 1822,
Ripley, Fairfield and Bronson were set off from Norwalk, leaving Norwalk
as an independent township. Norwalk Township was incorporated by act of
legislature 11 Feb 1828.
Early in 1809, Nathan Comstock, with hired men Darius Ferris and Elijah
Hoyt, traveled from Connecticut to Norwalk Township where they erected
the first pioneer house of record, and cleared about 10 acres of land
which they sowed to wheat. After the wheat had been sown, the three
returned to Connecticut. In 1810, Abijah Comstock, by arrangement with
his father and his brother Nathan, took up Nathan's interest in Norwalk
and traveled there to reside in the house built by Nathan, and to
harvest the crop of wheat sown in 1809.
Other early settlers, and the dates of their arrival in Norwalk, were:
|Benjamin Newcomb ca 1811.
||Joseph Pierce 1815.
|Levi Cole 1815.
||Samuel B. Lewis 1815.
|Hanson Reed 1815.
||Dr. Joseph Pierce 1815.
|Major David Underhill 1815.
||Timothy Baker 1815.
|Horace Morse 1815.
||David Gibbs 1815.
|Henry Lockwood 1815.
||L. Lockwood 1815.
|Stephen Lockwood 1815.
||Joseph Underhill 1816.
|Daniel Warren 1816.
||Marks Rosbeck 1816.
|Platt Benedict ca 1816.
||Captain John Boalt ca 1816.
|Sally Boalt 1817.
||William Gallup 1818.
|Hallet Gallup 1818.
Some First Events
William Gallup and Sally Boalt were the first to be married on 2 May
Thomas, son of Abijah Comstock, was the first to be born in 1812.
Angelus Lewis, daughter of Sam B. and Angeline Lewis, was the first of
record to die in the township on 1 Sep 1817.
Hanson Reed, assisted by his father-in-law Abraham Powers, built the
first saw mill in 1816 or 1817.
Dr. Joseph Pierce, who came to Norwalk in 1815, was the first practicing
phsician in Norwalk. He also was appointed as the first postmaster in
1816. The post office was kept in the house of Levi Cole until July 1818
, when Dr. Pierce resigned as postmaster. Platt Benedict succeeded Dr.
Pierce as postmaster in 1818.
The first merchants were Peter Tyce and Frederick Forsyth who began
business in 1818 as the "Red Store" on the corner of Main and Hester
Streets in Norwalk.
The first school house was built in the fall of 1816, close to the
township line between Ridgefield and Norwalk.
The first teacher was Charles Seymour Hale, son of General Hale of Herkimer (N.Y.?). He was followed by Ann Boalt, sister of C.L. Boalt, and then by Tamar Palmer. The students were:
Asher, James, Miner, Lyman and Manley Cole
David, Isaac, Aurelia and Louisa Underhill
Alanson, Alva and Betsey Pixley
Jonas and Eliza Ann Benedict
Almira, Daniel, John and Mary Ann Morse, among others.
In September of 1816, Peter Tyce and his son John erected the first
frame building in the region and used it for a store.
Early in 1818. the first public religious services were held at the log
house of Platt Benedict, and consisted of reading the services of the
Protestant Episcopal Church, and a sermon, by a layman.
Davis Gibbs was elected the first justice of the peace in April, 1817,
and appointed county clerk in 1825. He held that latter office until his
death at Norwalk 16 Mar 1840 at age 59.
The first election in Norwalk Township was held at the house of Hanson
Reed in April, 1817.
Early Population Indicators.
The Poll Book of 13 Oct 1818 listed the names of 56 electors.
The 1819 enumeration of white males over the age of 21 in Norwalk showed 109 names.
Similar enumerations for 1823 and 1827 showed 80 and 131 names
The Poll Book of 5 Apr 1824 listed the names of 67 electors.
1840 Census-- 2,613
Go back to the History
Go back to the HCC