REV. ALEXANDER McCANDLESS REID, the Steubenville Female seminary now educating the third generation, has exerted a remarkably wide-spread and beneficial influence throughout a long period of years--an influence which has been felt in home and society in all parts of America and in foreign lands. In its earliest days, when the river, the canal boat, and the stage were the only means of transit, its daughters came from afar, and still, in spite of many similar institutions all over the land, its widespread fame draws pupils from all regions. The method of culture are calculated to produce sensible, intelligent women, able to occupy positions of responsibility, to meet skillfully all the emergencies of life, as well as fill the noble positions of wife and mother. The religious influence it has exerted has been of great value, and 20 per cent of its pupils have yearly been brought within the church. With this institution since 1856, Rev. Alexander McCandless Reid, Ph D., has been connected, and for several years past he has been its proprietor and principal. Previously, Rev. Dr. Charles C. Beatty and wife were in charge, but by a strange circumstance Dr. Comingo met Dr. Reid in Switzerland, on Mont Blanc, and there pleasant association led to relations with Dr. Beatty, which brought Dr. Reid and wife to the seminary. They soon demonstrated their entire fitness for the place, and in the years that have followed have sustained and advanced the high position of the institution. His thorough scholarship, and skill as a teacher, have been aided by the efforts of his estimable wife, who has greatly assisted in the work of advancing the social and esthetical culture of those, who, during their period of attendance, are made by her to feel that they are members of her home and family. Dr. Reid was born in Beaver county, Penn., April 20, 1827. His father, Henry Reid was a Presbyterian elder of repute and his mother, Jane McCandless, was a woman of notable piety who bore many years of painful affliction. He was educated at Cannonsburgh in the Jefferson college, and at the Allegheny theological seminary. He then engaged in teaching at Sewickley academy, Pennsylvania, associated with Rev. Joseph S. Travelli. In 1855 he went to Europe for further study, and in the same year was married to Sarah Lambert, Mercer county, Penn. In October, 1856, he became associated with Dr. Beatty in the management of the institution above referred to. During the nineteen years of his connection with the institution the average number of pupils has been about 150, the number of boarding pupils about ninety, and the whole number of pupils that have attended is over 4,000. He received the degree of Ph. D. from Washington and Jefferson college. In 1875 he was a delegate to the Pan-Presbyterian assembly at London, representing the Northern Presbyterian church. He then made an extensive tour of the continent. During his previous visit to Europe he contributed to two journals, and he has written more or less regularly since for the press. Of his many brilliant sermons several have been published and widely circulated.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.