REV. ALPHONSUS M. LEYDEN, pastor of the Catholic church at Toronto, was born in the dominion of Canada, September 30, 1854, the son of Patrick G. and Agnes A. (Fitzpatrick) Leyden. His father emigrated from Ireland, his native land, in 1844, and became employed in Canada, as the shipping clerk of a navigation company. Subsequently he engaged in teaching in the Catholic schools and after several years of that occupation he opened a general store, and was in the mercantile business until 1871, when he retired. His marriage to the daughter of William and Ellen (Phillips) Fitzpatrick, both natives of county Down Ireland, occurred in Canada in 1853 and to this union were born fifteen children, of whom five survive. THe mother died July 30, 1887. The subject of this mention attended in childhood the Catholic schools of Canada, and finished his education at the university of Ottawa, where he was graduated in 1874. After preparation for the priesthood, he was ordained May 19, 1883 and took the office of curate at Ottawa, serving in that capacity three years. He then came to the United States and was appointed by Bishop Watterson to the charge of the church at Toronto, having included in his work the missions at Mingo Junction, Brilliant and Hammondsville. He came to Toronto, August 27, 1886, and soon began the erection of a church, which was completed in April 1887. The church is now in a flourishing condition having a membership of forty families and its prosperity is largely due to well-directed efforts of Father Leyden. He has also brought about the erection of a church at Mingo Junction, and is zealously pushing forward his work.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.