BENJAMIN DOYLE, a native of Loudon county, Va., came to Washington county, Penn., and settled with his mother's family at West Middleton, previous to 1790. ABout the latter date he was married to Patience McGuire, of a Maryland family which had settled in the same neighborhood. Of this union were born in 1792, Elizabeth, afterward wife of Ambrose Shaw; John B., in 1794; Patience, wife of Isaiah Winters, in 1796; Basil, in 1798; McGuire, in 1800; Benjamin, in 1802; ALexander, William and Richard. The family moved to jefferson county in 1798, and settled in Cross Creek township, just out of the present city limits. Benjamin Doyle was an earnest churchman, and one of his first acts after settling in the northwest territory, was to wncourage the missionary efforts of Rev. Dr. Doddridge, who then lived at Wellsburgh, but was holding services at Steubenville, laying the foundations of what became St. Paul's parish. On December 1, 1800, we find him with others entering into an agreement with Dr. Doddridge to hold regular services at the residence of widow McGuire, Mr. Doyle's mother-in-law, in Cross Creek township, from which services arose St. Jame's church. In 1816 he joined in a memorial for the organization of the diocese of Ohio, of which St. Paul's and St. Jame's can truthfully claim to be the pioneer parishes, although they were not formally organized for some time afterward. Benjamin Doyle was also the pioneer manufacturer of Steubenville, establishing a tannery near the head of North street as early as 1799, and sinking the first public well on the present court house square. He and his estimable wife have long since pased tot heir rest.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.