DAVID S. CARR, a prominent farmer of Island Creek township, was born on the farm whjere he now resides, April 5, 1847. He is a descendant of early settlers of Ohio. His grandfather, David Carr, a native of Northampton county, Penn., came to Jefferson county in 1798 in company with three brothers, and settled on the section where David S. is now found. This is known to this date as the Carr section, as the family were among the first to take up land in this region. This pioneer was married before coming here to Letitia Clyde, who bore him three children, all now deceased. The father died November 23, 1845 and his wife Letitia Clyde, August 12, 1822. William C., the father of the subject of this mention was born May 27, 1800 on the homestead and was reared to farming which was his vocation during life. In January 1826 he was married to Jane Hunt, by whom he had seven children, six of whom are now living. He died December 8, 1864 and his widow passed away January 20, 1873. The names of their children are: Catherine A., Rhoda H., Jane C., Letitia C., Thomas H., deceased, Rev. William B., of Latrobe, Penn., and David S. The latter received a good education which he finished at the academies at Beaver, Penn., and Hagerstown, and he then engaged in farming, which has since been his occupation. On December 26, 1871, he was married to Maggie, daughter of John Hanna, of Wintersville, and they have two children: John H. and Harlan P. C. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian church of Pleasant Hill, of which he is a charter member and elder. He is one of the substantial and well-known people of the county.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.