DAVID SIMPSON, one of the leading merchants of Mingo Junction, was born March 6, 1843, son of William and Mary (Moffett) Simpson. His grandparents, John and Eliza Simpson, were natives of Ireland, where, in county Down, William Simpson was born and reared. There, also, having reached manhood, he entered the butcher business, which he followed until his death, which occurred in October, 1873. He was married in 1823, in county Antrim, to Mary Moffett, a native of that county, and to them were born fourteen children, three girls and eleven boys, of whom there are living six, three of these being residents of this country. The mother died in August 1873. David Simpson was reared in Antrim county, Ireland, and was engaged in business there with his father until 1860, when he came to America and settled in Steubenville in 1862. He became associated with the iron industry there, and remained seven years, after which he removed to Martin's Ferry, and was superintendent of the blast furnace there until three years later, when he came to Mingo Junction. He was engaged in iron working here for six years, ad then embarked in mercantile pursuits, to whcih he has since given his attention with much success. He was married February 8, 1866 to Annie, daughter of James and Eliza Collins. Her parents were natives of Ireland and emigrated to Canada in 1847, and thence to Steubenville. The father died in Pennsylvania in 1870 and the mother at Mingo Junction in 1873. Mr. and Mrs. Simpson are both members of the Presbyterian church of Mingo Junction and have been for twelve years. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P., and in politics is a republican, and is influential in the councils of that party. He was mayor of Mingo, holding that position with honor for four years, and in 1887 he was elected one of the commissioners of Jefferson county, a position he is still occupying.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.