EDWARD B. JONES, mayor of the village of Mt. Pleasant and one of the extensive landowners and farmers of the county, was born at Roxylvania, Iowa, February 22, 1859. His father Lewis W. Jones, a native of Ohio, was born about 1829. He married Mary Binns, a native of Pennsylvania, and a member of the Society of Friends, who died July 20, 1879 at the age of forty-nine. Three children were born to them, Luella, who died in childhood; Anna E., wife of Mahlon P. Hill, of Jefferson County, and Edward B. The latter spent his youth in the Mt. Pleasant schools, and graduated there in 1876, after which he entered the Eastman business college at Poughkeepsie, N. Y. He was engaged one year in the First National bank of Mt. Pleasant and then returned to the farm, where he has since been engaged. He has a farm of 300 acres, and makes a specialty of breeding thoroughbred cattle, having a herd of twenty, partly of the St. Lambert family of Jersey cattle. Mr. Jones is a very progreessive, intelligent agriculturist and has good grounds for claiming to be the pioneer in Jefferson county in the construction of the "silo" for the preservation of green feed in its succulent condition. Many persons have visited him for information and instruction in regard to this valuable contrivance. He is one of the foremost citizens in public affairs, is one of the commissioners of the Adena, Mt. Pleasant and Martin's Ferry turnpike, is a member of the Society of Friends, a Good Templar and in politics, republican. Mr. Jones was married June 14, 1883 to Lizzie Robb Chambers, daughter of Robert Chambers, of this county. They have two children, Mildred M. and Helen R.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.