ENOCH PEARCE, M. D., physician and surgeon was born November 18, 1832, at Westminster, near Baltimore, Md., and is a son of Enoch and Rachel (MacKenzie) Pearce. Both of his parents are Marylanders. His father has followed mechanical pursuits through life, and removed to Ohio in 1840, settling at Steubenville, where he has since resided. Dr. Pearce received a liberal education at the Grove academy, in Steubenville. In 1848 he commenced to study medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. Benjamin Tappan, of Steubenville, and for three years pursued his readings with earnestness. He attended the medical lectures delivered at the university of the city of New York in 1851-52 and also at Jefferson Medical college, Philadelphia, in 1853-54, graduating from the latter institution with honor. He began the practice of his profession in Steubenville, in 1854, and has resided there ever since, having succeeded in establishing a successful and lucrative line of patronage. During the civil war he was surgeon of the Sixty-first Ohio volunteer infantry, and was with that commanded at the battles of Cedar Mountain, second Bull Run, Whilte Sulphur Springs, Freeman's FOrd, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, besides numerous lesser engagements and skirmishes. After the battle of Gettysburg he was examined by the United States volunteers and was commissioned by President Lincoln as such. He held the position one week only when he was promoted to the grade of full Surgeon United States volunteers, for deserved excellency in scholarship and in the duties of surgeonry and medicine. He continued in the service and was assigned to duty in Tennessee and also to the management of a United States army hospital in Louisville for wounded soldiers. His health having become impaired, he was discharged from service by the war department, for physical disability. He immediately returned home and sought rest as a means to recover his health, and after a year resumed the practice of his profession in Steubenville. On July 24, 1867, he was appointed lieutenant-colonel, by brevet, in the United States medical service, for faithful and meritorious services during the war of the rebellion. In 1869 he received the appointment of examining surgeon in the service of the government, which position he yet retains. He has been for a number of years a prominent member of the state medical society, and was chairman of the committee on the incurable insane of Ohio, making the report to the legislature. He has also written more or less on medical topics. He has been from its organization a prominent officer and member of the Jefferson county medical association. He was appointed in 1875, censor of the Columbus medical college. Was appointed by President U.S. Grant, in June, 1869, a United States examining surgeon for pensions, at Steubenville, Ohio, which position he held continuously for twenty years, up to July, 1889; was a member of the centennial medical congress at Philadelphia, Penn., in 1876, and a member of the ninth International medical congress at Washington, D. C., September, 1887. He has never sought or held any public office involving political responsibility. He was married in 1860, to Celia J., daughter of the late Richard Savary, of Steubenville.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.