FRANK M. GRAHAM, proprietor of the planning-mill at New Cumberland, is a native of Pittsburgh, Penn., born November 22, 1853. His father, John Graham, was born in Ireland, and at the age of nine years, came to America, settling in Philadelphia, where he followed the trade of blacksmith until 1837. He then removed to Pittsburgh, and was engaged at his trade until his death, which occurred July 3, 1879. He was married in 1830, to Mary Graham, who was born in Germantown, Penn., in 1808. They were the parents of ten children: Thomas, Evesann, William, James (deceased), Paul (deceased), Mary, John M., Albert, Samuel B., and Frank M. The latter, the youngest child, was educated in the Pittsburgh schools, attending Newell's institute for two years. After leaving school he entered the office of John A. Woods & Son, coal dealers of Pittsburgh, and remained with them five years, and subsequently he was book-keeper for A. Cook & Sons for five years. He then came to New Cumberland, and entered the employment of the West Virginia Fire-brick company, as book-keeper and traveling salesman. He remained with this company for more than three years, and then returned to Pittsburgh, where he engaged in the saw-mill in the town, and is doing a flourishing business, carrying a stock of the value of $7,000 to $8,000, and disposing of large quantities of building material on account of the rapid growth of the town. In September, 1880, he was married to Lizzie M. Cavett, who died in December, 1886, leaving two children: Jessie, born July 31, 1882, and Effie W., born December 1, 1885. On June 14, 1888, he was married to Lottie M., daughter of Richard Pitchford, of Pittsburgh, and they have one child: Earl Francis, born June 27, 1889. Mr. Graham and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he is both an Odd Felloe and Mason, and belongs to the A. O. U. W., and both branches of the American Mechanics.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.