FRANK STOKES, editor of the Toronto Tribune, is a native of Jefferson county, He was born at Empire, January 1, 1860. He is the son of John Stokes, a worthy citizen of the county, of whom mention is made in the sketch of Dr. Stokes. Mr. Stokes received his early schooling at Knoxville, and then began teaching school, at which he was engaged for some time. He made his first venture in journalism in 1876 by the publication of the Banner of Zion, a religious paper, which he issued monthly from his home in Knoxville until 1880. In the latter year he purchased an interest in the Sloan's Enterprise, now known as the Toronto Tribune. The Enterprise was established in 1879 by T. M. Daniels, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere. After his death in 1884, Mr. Stokes purchased the entire business. In 1886 he also began the publication of the Mingo News. Since his connection with the Tribune, Mr. Stokes has become widely known as a bright and energetic journalist and he has made his paper one of the most creditable publications in eastern Ohio. In political affairs he takes an active part, personally and through the medium of his influential paper, in behalf of the republican party. He has held the office of town treasurer for the period of nine years. On October 27, 1886 Mr. Stokes was married to Mary, daughter of John McFadden, deceased, the pioneer sewer pipe manufacturer of Toronto, was born at Dunbarton, Scotland, about the year 1827, the son of Hugh and Sarah McFadden. His birth occurred in the historic house in which Wallace killed the twelve men with a stool, as narrated in the "Scotish Chiefs". Our subject was reared and educated in his native land and there learned the trade of potter. When a young man he came to the United States and first settled in Cincinnati, where he remained some time. Subsequently he removed to Freeman's Landing, W. Va. and in company with George Carlyle, engaged in the manufacturers of terra cotta chimney tops. Shortly afterward they crossed the river to Toronto, then known as Newburgh, and became the first manufacturers of sewer pipes west of the Alleghenies. In 1871 they leased the works to Connelly, Hood & Co., and from that time Mr. McFadden lived a retired life until his death in August 1876. In 1860 he was married to Mary, daughter of Hugh Lyons, of Newburgh and by this union had two children, Mary E. and Emma S. Mr. McFadden was a member of the Presbyterian church and of the Masonic order, and in politics was an active republican. He was one of the enterprising pushing and intelligent men who have done so much to build up the fortunes of the valley.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.