GEORGE C. PUGH, a well-known merchant of Toronto and secretary of the Toronto Pottery company, was born March 19, 1854, the son of George and Elizabeth (Barr) Pugh, who were natives of Ohio. The father was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, in 1809 and when a small child moved with his parents to Virginia on a farm near what was then known as Manchester, Hancock county. He moved with his parents back to Ohio in 1817, and after remaining with them until 1827 he left home to engage in the trade of cabinet maker at New Harrisburg, Carroll county which was then a part of Stark. In 1833 he was married to Elizabeth Barr, and continued at his trade until 1849 when he was elected sheriff of his county in which capacity he served two terms, moving to the county seat, Carrollton. At the expiration of his term of office he returned to New Harrisburg and engaged in the mercantile business with S. A. Highland. At the end of three years he purchased a farm near by and continued farming until 1863 when he sold out and moved to Fairview, where he engaged in the occupation of milling at what is known as Pugh's mills, on Tomlinson's run. Retiring from this he was elected justice of the peace, which office he has held for more than twenty years. By his first wife, Elizabeth Barr, who died in 1869, he had three sons and four daughters, five of whom are living. George C. Pugh made his venture in business as a drug clerk at Fairview, W. Va., and after three years came to Toronto and began work for the firm of Stewart & Dawson, druggists, with whom he remained two years. He was a drug clerk until 1879, when he purchased the business of his former employees and continued it in his own name until 1886, when he consolidated his business with another, making the firm of Francy, Pugh & Co. This firm did a general mercantile business under the management of Mr. Pugh. In 1888 he was chosen the secretary of the Toronto Pottery company, in which he is a prominent stockholder. Mr. Pugh is an enterprising citizen and has been active for the prosperity of his community. He is a member of the Disciples church and of the Odd Fellows and F. M. C. He was married April 30, 1881, to Mary V., daughter of Rev. J. H. Rodgers, of Ulrichville, Ohio, and they have three children: Claude F., Clara Z. and Oliver R. Mrs. Pugh is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.