GEORGE N. HENRY, president of the city council of Steubenville, was born in that city January 11, 1854, the son of Joshua and Ann (Lee) Henry. The father was a native of Pittsburgh, Penn., the son of Joshua Henry, who was born in county Down, Ireland. His mother was the daughter of James and Margaret (Mears) Lee, both native of Ireland. The latter accompanied their parents to America, both families coming on the same vessel, and they were married soon after their arrival at Pittsburgh. In about 1818 they located in Island Creek township, jefferson county, where the father led the life of a farmer until his death in 1878 and hwere his widow, now ninety-eight years of age, still resides. The father and mother of our subject had six children, of whom he was the third. The father died in 1878. His widow survives, her home being in Steubenville. George N. Henry received his early education in the public schools of the city and at fifteen years of age accepted a position as clerk in the general store of Thomas Stanton. Three years after he entered the employ of Keller & Whitaker, for whom he clerked in a grocery until in October 1873, when he and Samuel Cox engaged in the gorcery business as the successors of Keller & Whitaker. Mr. Cox died inside of six months and Mr. Henry continued the business as sole proprietor until 1880. In October of that year he formed a partnership with John C. Brown and Geo. A. Maxwell, and the firm of Brown, Maxwell & Henry established a large cold storage business, which was conducted until September 1883, when the establishment was destroyed by fire. In October 1883, Mr. Brown retired and the firm of Maxwell & Henry was formed, which has ever since carried on the wholesale fruit business. Mr. Henry was married March 31, 1876 to Mary E., daughter of William Cable, ex-postmaster of Steubenville. They have one child, Clara C. Mr. Henry is a member of K. of P., the Royal Arcanum, the National Union, the Order of the Mystic Circle, and the Progressive Association. In politics he is a republican. In the spring of 1885, he was elected to the city council, was re-elected in 1887 and again elected in 1889. He has held the presidency of the council since the spring of 1888. Much of the credit for the excellent condition of the city's streets and sewers is due to Mr. Henry. For the past three years he has been a member of the board of improvement and is now and has been for five years chairman of the street committee. He has also been a member of the finance committee five years.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.