GEORGE W. MORROW, of Island Creek township, was born in Jefferson county, April 4, 1854, of Scotch-Irish descent. His father, Moses Morrow, was the son of Richard Morrow, who was born in the "Old Country" in 1789. His father, George Morrow, married an Irish lady, by name Mary Miller. George Morrow's father was a Scotchman. George was a school teacher by occupation, and emigrated to America when their son Richard was about three months old. They with their goods in wagons drawn by oxen, and Richard, then four years old, walked the entire distance in his bare feet. Settling in Jefferson county, George Morrow remained there until his death. Richard was a farmer in this county until his death, March 11, 1885 and was the father of nine children, two of whom survive. Moses Morrow was born in Jefferson county, March 17, 1817 and being reared as a farmer, devoted the most of his career to the occupation of his father, although in his early days he was engaged also as a carpenter. He was married October 20, 1840 to Sarah J. Palmer, a native of Ohio, who with seven of the nine children, survive her husband, whose death occurred July 20, 1871. George W. Morrow was reared in this county and is now one of its prosperous farmers. He is also a member of the Morrow Brothers manufacturing company of Washington Court House, Ohio, which is engaged in the production of collar and saddle pads, but is now quite extensive, employing sixteen hands, and they are about to establish a branch factory in Canada. Mr. Morrow is prominent in public affairs, has served about ten years on the board of education and in 1887 was elected justice of the peace, an office he still holds. He was married March 20, 1879, to Mattie Huston and by this union has six children: Minnie A., Emma C., Florence, Frederick, John H. and Roger V. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.