H. C. ULRICH, is the son of H. C. and Lulu (Brandt) Ulrich, having been born in Germany in the year 1844. The earlier part of his life was spent in his native country, and he was educated in the common schools of that country, coming to the United States in 1866. Mr. Ulrich at first located in Wheeling, W. Va., entering upon a mercantile life in that place. His business efforts were attended with fair success, and in 1883 he removed to Lazaerville, where he engaged in the manufacture of glass-ware, acting as president of the Pan-handle Glass company. These works were the first glass works to adopt the use of natural gas in the Ohio valley. In 1884, while still acting as president of this concern, he organized the Standard Insurance company, with which he was identified as secretary for three years, the main office of the company being moved to Wheeling in 1887. Mr. Ulrich resigned his office, and retiring from the Pan-handle Glass company in 1886, he, with others, immediately organized a company for the manufacture of glass. This company is known as the Lazaer Glass company. Since its inception he has been prominently connected with this firm, and is at present an active worker for its interests. While still living in Germany Mr. Ulrich was united in mariage to Miss Caroline Ehrhardt, the ceremony being soleminized in the year 1864. Twelve children, seven of whom are still living have been boen to them, they are: Charles Henry; Caroline Elizabeth, deceased; Alfred Frederick, Emma Louisa; Harry Clarence, deceased; Caroline Dora; Anna Ludovike, deceased; Otto Christian and Ehrhardt Behrens. Mr. Ulrich is a prosperous, upright business man and one who commands the respect of those with whom he comes in contact.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.