HIRAM G. FILSON, proprietor of the tinning establishment at New Cumberland, is a son of Robert Filson, an old resident of Ohio, in which state he is still living, engaged as a carpenter. Hiram G. was born in Mount Union, Stark county, Ohio, October 1, 1847, and worked upon a farm in his youth. He attended school during the winters until the death of his mother, which occurred when he was twelve years of age. At seventeen he began work as a tinner with Peter McKinlay, of Steuben county, Ind., and after learning the trade he set up shop at Mendon, Mich. Three years later he removed to Alliance, Ohio, and after working there several years came to large business. He is making extensive arrangements for the manufacture and sale of a patent flour bin, which is meeting with a large demand. He has also patened an adjustable eave trough box and a can machine. Mr. Filson is a valued citizen, a member of the Odd Fellows and Masonic orders, and is a republican. In 1873 Mr. Filson was married to Matilda, daughter of James Brown, an early settler of the county, and a minister of the Methodist Protestant church, of which his daughter is a faithful member. Mr. and Mrs. Filson have two children, Jamesetta and Carl G.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.