JUDGE JOHN HUSTON MILLER, a very prominent and much esteemed citizen of Steubenville, Ohio, and ex-judge of the common pleas courts, was born on a farm in Upper Mount Bethel township township, about four miles west of Delaware Water Gap, Northampton county, Penn., January 30, 1813. He was the son of Amos and Elizabeth (Huston) Miller. His father was born in what is now Stroud township, Monroe Co., Penn., May 29, 1789, and was the son of Charles Miller, who was born in county Tyrone, Ireland, emigrated to America in early manhood, and married Mrs. Catharine THomas, in Bucks county, Penn. She was a native of Bucks county, Penn., but her father was a native of Wales. Charles and Catharine Miller had a family of eleven children, of whom Amos Miller, the father of our subject, was the eighth. Their names were: John, Mary, William, Sarah, Thomas, Abel, Nancy, Amos, James, Catharine and Manasseh. Charles Miller was a farmer by occupation. He and wife both died in what is now Monroe county, Penn., the former in March, 1827 and the latter in 1838. Amos Miller was reared in his native township, and was married there to Elizabeth Huston, early in 1812. She was also a native of Stroud township, Northampton (now Monroe) county, Penn., born July 22, 1787, being the daughter of John Huston. She died in her native township November 16, 1828, leaving the following six children: John H., George H., Rebecca, Joseph, Charles and Mary, and it is a notable fact that all are still living, the youngest being now sixty-three years of age. Another child that was born to their marriage was named AMos. He died in 1822, aged fourteen months. In May, 1829, Amos Miller was married to Susan Schoch who bore to him the following six children: Samuel, Catharine J., Amos, Anna M., Lewis and THomas, all of whom are living except Amos, who died at Fort Scott in May, 1863, while in the service of his country. In about 1850, AMos Miller removed from Pennsylvania to Rock county, Wis., where he died, May 7, 1863. He was a wagonmaker by trade, but during the last half of his life he followed the vocation of a farmer. His second wife survived him until July 16, 1888, when she died in Floyd county, Iowa, in the eighty-ninth year of her age. When the subject of this sketch was six years old, his parents located in the village of Williamsburg, of Northampton county, Penn. Five years later they removed to Stroudsburg, the present county seat of Monroe county, penn., and there engaged at the wagon maker's trade, which he had partially learned with his father. In 1837 he came westward to Steubenville, Ohio, and for a year he was engaged at carriage making. In the fall of 1838 he returned to Stroudsburg, Penn., and during the winter which followed, he taught the village school in that place. In the fall of 1839 he again came to Steubenville, and he has resided here continuously ever since. In the meantime he had entered upon the study of law, and in December, 1840, he was admitted to the bar. For about thirty years following this he devoted his whole time to the practice of law, and in December, 1840, he was admitted to the bar. For about thirty years following this he devoted his whole time to the practice of law, and occupied a prominent place in his profession. In January, 1870, he was appointed by Gov. Rutherford B. Hayes, judge of the common pleas courts, for the third sub-division of the eighth Ohio judicial district, which sub-division embraced Jefferson, Harrison and Tuscawaras counties. He was appointed to fill the vacancy occassioned by the election of Judge McIlvaine to be judge of the supreme court of the state. In 1871 Judge Miller was elected to the office, and served one full term of five years, making altogether six years' experience on the bench. On retiring from the bench he resumed his law practice and has continued in it ever since. Judge Miller was married March 4, 1841 to Ann C. Stokely, a native of Brownsville, Penn., being the youngest daughter of Col. Thomas Stokely, an officer of the Revolutionary war. Their marriage resulted in the birth of two children. They are George E. and Elizabeth S., both of whom reside in Steubenville, the latter being the wife of Henry W. Pratt. The wife of Judge Miller died September 5, 1882. She was a member of the Presbyterian church. Her surviving husband is also a member of the same church. Politically he formerly affiliated with the whig party, but since 1856 he has been an ardent republican. Judge Miller is a man of fine intellect and superior intelligence. In the prime of life he possessed a fine physique and notwithstanding his advancing age, it is but little marred. His well-formed head and brilliant facial expression, united with his physique, make him a man of fine appearance and commanding presence. He has led an active life, and is now spending his declining years in comfort and happiness.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.