JOHN CAMPBELL, one of the oldest citizens of Hancock county, was born within sight of the place where he now resides, August 12, 1820. The farm upon which was his birthplace was then owned by his grandfather, John Compbell, one of the pioneers of the county. The farm which at that time contained 187 acres, comprising the first and second bottoms, between the Black Horse fire brick yard and the mouth of Hardin's run, was divided on the death of the grandfather, in 1832, between the children and the widow, Mary Campbell. James Campbell, on of the heirs, and father of John, settled upon his share, and subsequently bought out the others, except his brother John. The labor of clearing much of this land was shared by the subject of this mention, who growing up in scenes of patient industry, learned thoroughly habits of that nature, which have been the foundation of his prosperity. In the spring of 1841 he began housekeeping in the old cabin which had been his home in youth, having married on March 4, Ruth C. Swearington, of Beaver county, Penn. He engaged in farming and also in boat building, and in the coal trade, and built many houses, one of them historic as the site of the first printing office in New Cumberland, and platted an addition to New Cumberland of which he sold many lots. In January, 1858, he was elected justice of the peace, under the laws of Virginia, and he held that office and ably discharged its duties until 1864. In April of that year he was elected treasurer of Hancock county, and this he held during a period of much importance in the history of the county. During his term of office, from June 20, 1864, to January 1, 1867, he collected and disbursed without loss $56,654.19, besides large sums raised by private donations for the relief of soldiers' families. In this important office he gained the plaudits of the citizens of the county by his faithful and impartial discharge of its duties. Two years after retiring therefrom, he was again elected to the office of justice, and he served the community in that capacity until January 1, 1889. He has also acted four years as president of the board of education of Clay township, and during that period brought about the erection of the graded school building, of which he furnished the plans as architect and superintended the construction. Mr. Campbell's first wife died July 17, 1873, leaving six children. Subsequently he was married to Mrs. Emily L. Hamilton, of Wellsville, Ohio, by whom he had one child. Mr. Campbell is one of the most highly respected citizens of New Cumberland, and his life-long residence here, and his valuable public services, have made him many warm friends, and caused him to be highly esteemed throughout the county. For more than forty years he has been an active member of the Christian or Disciples church, and has been earnest in his efforts for the advancement of its cause. In politics, he was originally a whig, and cast his first vote for Henry Clay in 1844, and since the organization of the republican party he has been an ardent supporter of its principles.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.