J. C. CAMPBELL, was born in county Tyrone, Ireland, October 11, 1797. He attended medical lectures at the University of Glasgow, Scotland in 1813-14, and at the Roval College of Surgeons in Dublin, in 1814-15. He soon after emigrated to America, and in 1818 he graduated in medicine at Dartmouth college. In the fall of that year he located in Wellsburg and began the practice of medicine. He afterward studied law under the distinguished Philip Doddridge and was admitted to the bar in October 1821. Although he did not pursue the practice of medicine for many years, he gave evidence of unusual skill as a surgeon. It is related that he cured a case of fecal fistula, the result of strangulated hernia, by detaching the adherent intestine from the abdominal wall and either removing a section of intestine or uniting the pared edges of the fistulous opening. Dr. Campbell represented Brooke county in the legislature of Virginia. He afterward removed to Ohio county living on a farm four miles northeast of Wheeling. He was four years president of the old Northwestern bank and in many ways a valuable citizen of the county. Early in the war, having been for years out of medical practice. Secretary Stanton wished his influence to be on the side of the Union. After time, in 1862, his health failed from exposure and he resigned; but was soon after commissioned as assistant judge advocate, which position he held until the close of the war. Dr. Campbell was first married to a daughter of Bishop Campbell, who dying, he some years later married a daughter of the late Samuel Sprigg. He died several years ago, leaving a widow and several children to mourn his loss.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.