JOHN D. KILGORE, of Island Creek township, was born at Steubenville, March 18, 1853. He is the son of William Kilgore, who was born on King's Creek, Hancock Co., W. Va., July 18, 1796. In 1815 the father came to Steubenville and became engaged in mercantile business, and was during his lifetime a valued and enterprising citizen. He was for many years president of the Jefferson National Bank and was identified with several of the important manufacturing enterprises of Steubenville among them the iron, glass and woolen industries and contributed in no slight degree to the advancement of the city. He was married September 16, 1824 to Anna, daughter of Samuel Hill, a native of Ireland, who came to the United States in an early day wand was a soldier in the war of 1812 and settled at Harrisburg, Penn., where he remained until his death. By this marriage William Kilgore had six children, of whom the only survivor is the subject of this mention. The father died January 1, 1877, and his wife October 8, 1872. John D. Kilgore was reared and educated at Steubenville and in youth began the study of dentistry in the office of Dr. Morrison of Pittsburgh. Subsequently he began the practice of this profession at Salineville and remained there three years, subsequently moving to Indianapolis where he was engaged in his profession for about ten years. He then returned to Jefferson county and since then has given his attention to farming, being one of the most enterprising and prosperous men in the county of that calling. In 1881 he was married to Elizabeth, daughter of George Stickler, of Pennsylvania and they have two children: William and Jay S. Mrs. Kilgore is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Richmond, and she and her husband are prominent socially and highly regarded.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.