DR. JOHN McLANE, was born in Allegheny county, Penn., in 1772. He was educated at the Cannonsburgh academy, and was one of the founders of the Philo literary society in 1797. Experiencing a call to the ministry, he was licensed by the Presbytery of Ohio, AUgust 28, 1797 and in the following year he received calls from Presbyterian churches at Upper Buffalo, Bull Creek, Middlesex, and Montours, the latter of which he accepted. He was ordained and installed as pastor AUgust 27, 1800 and remained with that charge until December 1808. When war was declared in 1812, he went into the service as surgeon, having studied that profession during his course at Cannonsburgh, and after the close of the war he settled at Florence, Penn., and devoted himself to the practice of medicine. In a few years he removed to Fairview, W. Va., and thence a few years later to Wellsville, Ohio, where he died in July 1827. He was twice married and by the first union had three sons and two daughters of whom one son survives, at the age of seventy-one years. The second marriage was to Celia Cuilen and theww children by her survive, two daughters, one living in Missouri, the other Iowa and the oldest son, P. C. McLane.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.