JAMES M. HENDERSON, proprietor of the old Stokes mill, was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, July 25, 1853, the son of Andrew and Harriet (Mitchell) Henderson. His father was the son of John Henderson, a native of Ireland, who came to America in 1790, and died in 1849. Andrew Henderson was born about 1823, in Ross township, and after his school days were over he engaged in farming, which was his occupation, except about twenty years which he spent in charge of the Tunnel mill. He was married in 1852 to Harriet Mitchell, who is still living, by whom he had eight children, all surviving. He died in October 1883. James M. Henderson, after receiving his education in the schools of the county, spent about three years with his uncle in the stock business, and then began work in the mill he now controls. He was so engaged until 1887, when he moved to Kansas, but after a year there returned to his Ohio home, and again gave his attention to milling. Mr. Henderson was married in 1877 to Ella McGrew, daughter of Jacob McGrew, of this county, and they have two children: Edgar and Eva L., both of whom are living. He is a member of the K. of P., and in politics is a democrat. He is one of the popular men of the township.
Copyright © 2006 Danice Ryan. All rights reserved.